Replies: 1248 (Who?), Viewed: 74406 times. | Locked by: justJones Reason: Contest completed
Page 13 of 50
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#301 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 8:27 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 23rd Jan 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Okay here is mine. I used the foundation under the tank stand, brick wall is all around.

where does it say what pictures are required and how many? I can't find it so I am going by memory which was 8. I wasn't sure if the price is included in that 8. Also I had an issue with one water pipe that would not be removed! It was ungrabable. Not sure if those plumbers were a bit shonky...

Strong affordable cool but warm housing was uppermost priority for the 3 Flamingos. What better way to cut down your bills by having a rain tank and line drying. With an extra high ceiling to take hot air up in the summer and a cheap wood burner to stay warm in the winter.

Edit:Question. Looking at the round again, if I get the lot down to 19,000 do I get some bonus money? I'm thinking I might take away a couple of items if that's the case.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#302 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 1:31 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 23rd Jan 2016 at 2:12 PM. Reason: add something
Two things I need help with: 1. Roofing : I have NO idea which roof colours are BG, or which roof types came with BG. First, I have UC - so I cannot in any way determine it by using the cheat; and while The Ninth Wave's catalog is a life saver, it does not show roofs. 2. I have the same problem with fences.

This means either not worrying about building Base Game at all or, if I try to, I may use a roof that came with an expansion pack (and then lose the bonus, which I do not mind losing if I decide to use non-basegame stuff, but which I would like to receive if I stick to BG stuff).

Edit : I have decided that it would be easier for me to build without the Base Game restrictions. However, there might be other UC players facing the same dilemma.
Scholar
#303 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 4:07 PM
@Justpetro:
I have UC too.
Since I can't use AGS I think it's easier for me using all the items, not worrying aboutwhich EP/SP they belong too, and assume I can do someting nice enough to make up for the bonus I'm not getting.
Not a big deal imho.
Mad Poster
#304 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 4:29 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 23rd Jan 2016 at 4:43 PM.
Default Base Game Roof Patterns and Types
Does this help?

Roof Patterns
Top Row
Deep Jade Tile
Midnight Tile
Neutral Slate
Burnt Red Tile

Bottom Row
Crimson Clay Tile
Gray Slate
Tanned Slate
Stormy Slate

Roof Types
Top Row
Shed Gabled Roof
Shed Hipped Roof
Short Gabled Roof

Bottom Row
Long Gabled Roof
Hipped Roof
Mansard Roof
(from my AGS base game)

I now have 3 similar looking houses in a row in my AGS game, but I'm not sure if any of them are good enough!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[EDIT] I've a funny feeling that Deep Jade Tile and Stormy Slate only showed up in my game after I added OFB, but I've got them in my AGS base game. Is it possible that even the great Numenor made a mistake?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
#305 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 5:38 PM
Jo - I don't think you need to have your sign on the house from a rules point of view (unless you really want to)

Yeah - it's 8 pictures. Its in the rules on the front page before the score chart.
To reiterate:
Showcasing Your Images / What To Post
You will provide pictures of your lot to showcase your building/designers skills for judging by providing the following images:

1. Front of the lot.
2. Back of the lot.
3. Floor plan of each level.

You may also wish to provide other pictures that will stand out in your lot. Part of the scoring will involve the judge's discretion on what looks nice in the way you arrange the rooms & furnish your lot. Points 1, 2 & 3 must be provided for proper judging of your lot. Otherwise, your scoring may be effected.

Minimum pixel resolution is 800x600. Maximum pixel resolution is 1280x1024. Recommended file size is no more than 500kb per image. No more than 8 images per contract for a 1 floor property, & then 2 additional images for each higher level (e.g. 2-floor property = 10 images, 3-floor property = 12 images, 4-floor property = 14 images). This total includes floor plan images, & is not excluded from the total number of images allowed. Other image guidelines, especially those pertaining to the ModTheSims Forum can be found HERE.

You must also state the property cost of the lot you submit for use in the contest. Take a screenshot of it in neighborhood view with the price of the lot showing.

Bonuses according to the contract are:
Base game only content = + 2500 to your budget in round 2.
Total property value < 6000 = +2500 to your company's coffers.

So no - 19K isn't good enough for a bonus.

Simthing for everyone

"No Boom Today. Boom Tomorrow. Always Boom Tomorrow" - Ivanova (B5)
Having trouble with the Graphics card and Sims2? Feel free to pm me here, or in this forum at Leefish Sims 2 Graphic Cards
Mad Poster
#306 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 6:18 PM
@AndrewGloria, you are saving my life here I already had a blue roof on my first try and a green one on my second try and the rest have red roofs (and I have FIVE houses now, not sure which one to choose ). That will certainly help - at least I can make sure about the base game items (I do need that bonus, I am not a good enough builder to assume I can do without it, especially when it comes to small lots).

Thank you, all

Jo, that house is a knock-out Excellent work.
Theorist
#307 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 7:46 PM Last edited by Honeywell : 23rd Jan 2016 at 8:33 PM.
@d_dgjdhh Is it ok to show the price while on the lot (like I did in the Application Round) or does it have to be from the neighborhood view?
Mad Poster
#308 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 9:35 PM
I'll try to do the same for fences as I've done for roofs, but it might take a little longer as there are 33 types of fence in my AGS base game.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Alchemist
#309 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 9:44 PM
The bonus for the round is for under $16,000

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Mad Poster
#310 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 9:50 PM
I'm about ready to post... but, I have a question first: re the "price tag picture" - can I use the in-lot blue box (like Honeywell mentioned above) and photoshop it onto my Photo#1/front-of-lot picture? Or must I 'waste' a whole picture for the price?

ETA: Oh, and, did I get the BG-only bonus for the app. round? If so, which line in the score card is it?

... so the "tin roof, rusted" isn't BG? Pooh! Okay, then I gotta swap out the kitchen sinks - that BG one makes me shudder No bonus for me this time.

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#311 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 10:00 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 23rd Jan 2016 at 10:15 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrubynaffit
The bonus for the round is for under $16,000

@celebkiriedhel So it's not the price after the items of about 3,000 worth are taken off the price we give? 19,000 -$3,000 = 16.000.

That's their adverting sign.

Thanks Justpetro. I had the BV fireplace in there but went over budget. Fireplace or water tank? I spent too much time on those flipping water pipes, you think they could have given a horizontal one. I think the barrel looks a little odd, but budgets are budgets.

I took the price in the lot, was that wrong? Those type of pictures never counted towards the actual picture count in other contests. Not if it was placed over another picture or was cropped. I don't know how to photoshop it onto another picture but I do know how to crop.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#312 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
I'll try to do the same for fences as I've done for roofs, but it might take a little longer as there are 33 types of fence in my AGS base game.

Oh, not necessary, Andrew - I will simply ask you if I am unsure about a fence. I plan to use the white picket fence and the mortar brick short wall (or something) - I looked around in the hoods that came with the base game; I think I can figure them out. Thank you
Alchemist
#313 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 10:11 PM
Yes Jo, you'd have to take $3000 worth of stuff out to get it down to get the bonus.

On a different note :
I thought I would add in an explanation of my build, so have done.

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Mad Poster
#314 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 10:13 PM
I understand it as the total lot value. Not sure if I can do that
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#315 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 10:16 PM
I thought it was saying we could take 3000 off the price since those two lamp posts are meant to be free. Not that I would have to remove 3,000 of my stuff. Well no I can't do that. 600 I could have removed. It's only 7am so don't throw maths at me. But the good news it's 7am! The puppies didn't wake me at 5!

~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#317 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 10:40 PM
That's a quick way to know what is base game, take a look at the unmodified base game hoods.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#318 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 11:03 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 26th Jan 2016 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Fix Pics and text and bedding
Here is my entry.

We are committed to build a better life, even in a poor area.
The architect threw her hands in the air when she saw the building materials she was allowed to use, but she did it, complaining all the time about the lack of tile walls available.
The interior decorator frowned, sighed deeply and whispered : "Minimalism. And a splash of blue. Are you sure no Ikea?"
The landscaper laughed loudly and then stood still in shock for a while when he saw what his budget was. "They will have bamboo," he declared solemnly, "something has to make that ugly walls look better."
Bring on the tax collector, we have nothing to hide.

The house costs 15996 Simoleons and has a fire alarm, telephone and burglar alarm partially hidden behind the bookcase.

Mad Poster
#319 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 12:04 AM
The house must sell for §20,000 (or §16,000 to qualify for the bonus). The end buyer has to pay that in full. However your company received the empty lot (worth §3,100) for free. So if you build a house that costs the maximum of §20.000, your funds will only be reduced by §16,900 (§20,000 less §3,100). I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

ekrubynaffit, that was a clever bit of design!! "Blue sky thinking, outside the box", I think they call it. And the house will be extra well insulated thanks to all those double walls. I was wondering how you got so much in for under §16,000.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#320 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 12:21 AM
That's why I said if my house was 19,000 wouldn't that meet the requirement? But I was told no it wouldn't.

Cute house Justpetro.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#321 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 12:25 AM
Thanks, Jo
I decided to pick one of my experiments, or I will sit around all week!

The "free" just means the company's budget - to qualify for the bonus, the selling price must not be more than 16 000 - is that right, Andrew?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#322 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 12:30 AM
Since there is no way I can do that it doesn't matter. I didn't like having such a large empty lot, so I filled it.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#323 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 12:40 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 24th Jan 2016 at 1:01 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
That's why I said if my house was 19,000 wouldn't that meet the requirement? But I was told no it wouldn't.
That's because the bonus goes by the selling price -- the price that the Sim who buys the house has to pay. And they'd still have to pay §19,000, even though it only cost you §15,900 to build. We as builders get the empty lot free, but somebody has to pay for it, and that somebody is the Sim who buys the completed house.

Justpetro, that white picket fence is ok. It is base game.

[EDIT] Yes Justpetro, you're right about the bonus.

[EDIT 2] Yes Jo, the lot is bigger than I would choose myself for a house at this price too. If I ever share the houses I've built for this round, I'll reduce the lot size to 2x2 so I can get in a bit more at the same price point. I liked your idea of putting in a dog kennel at the back. (My Real Life dog would throw a hissy fit if I asked her to live in a kennel!)

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Scholar
Original Poster
#324 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 5:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeywell
@d_dgjdhh Is it ok to show the price while on the lot (like I did in the Application Round) or does it have to be from the neighborhood view?
Yes, that's fine, it could be from the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineTCJD
I'm about ready to post... but, I have a question first: re the "price tag picture" - can I use the in-lot blue box (like Honeywell mentioned above) and photoshop it onto my Photo#1/front-of-lot picture?
You can take a picture of it without counting towards you maximum picture count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineTCJD
ETA: Oh, and, did I get the BG-only bonus for the app. round? If so, which line in the score card is it?
That would be line "J" on the financial statements. It's a combination of the incentive bonus + BG-only content + logo icon. You got all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
(...)So it's not the price after the items of about 3,000 worth are taken off the price we give? 19,000 -$3,000 = 16.000.
Correct. The $3,300 worth of stuff is "free" for the company to obtain, but the cost of the total property to newcomers will be the total property cost (that includes the $3,300 of stuff). The cost to newcomers will be what is counted towards the bonus. This is correctly stated by Andrew, celebkiriedhel, ekrubynaffit & JustPedro.

Also, great entries. It's a tough one to bring it down to less than $16,000 without using hacks, huh!
Scholar
#325 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 3:11 PM Last edited by Amura : 24th Jan 2016 at 3:24 PM.
The brick wall was shouting "industrial!!" to me. So brick, concrete and metal it is. At least outside, fitting a poor district.
Inside the style is much more modern, colorful and vibrant.
Most of the space is used in a multi-purpose room, which is sitting room, dining room and kitchen all in one, with spaces separated only by imaginary lines. Decorated in red, black and silver, it has a bit of that retro look which does not look actually industrial but claims to be inspired by it.
The white door leads to an small bathroom, a very basic one with only toilet and shower.
And the black door with the keep-out sign leads to the tiny bedroom.
Because it must be veeeery tiny, since we have seen most of the house alredy.
Tiny, very tiny.
Obviously.
Only that it is not!
Behind the door are simply some stairs which go into a hidden basement, where an spacious bedroom is located. Double bed, wardrobe, desk... and it's not even too crowded in there.
This simple trick allows for a small-looking house more suitable for a poor district as this one.
And the price is extremely affordable, slightly below 16k!

Edit:
Btw I assumed that the price screenshot does not count towards the images limit.
Also I have just noticed that none of my pics show both streetlamps at the same time, though they both appear in a pic each. If that's not enough just let me know and I'll take a different shot.

Page 13 of 50