Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#76 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nurny
Grant said on Twitter multiple times that he knows all about expansions and DLC, but he is not allowed to tell us (obviously). He probably questions the intelligence of the users over at the official forums.

Thanks, I totally missed that.. probably cuz I hate Twitter.

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
-Honeywell
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#77 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 1:39 AM
Like I said a few times in the original TS4 Chat thread, they've been working on DLC and expansion content at least a month or two before the game even launched. Big game companies like that aren't gonna keep paying people if all they do after the game is "complete" is sit around and pat themselves on the back, once the game is finalized they get cracking on DLC.

It's a common business practice now. Hell, the last Street Fighter had purchasable DLC on the disks.

Complete bullshit that they don't know where they're going with it. Maybe it's more of a statement on the competency of the staff or something.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Theorist
Original Poster
#78 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 1:39 AM
Grant said on Twitter multiple times that he knows all about expansions and DLC, but he is not allowed to tell us (obviously). He probably questions the intelligence of the users over at the official forums.

He doesn't have his usual snark on the forums like he does on Twitter, but he did say that they will share plans with us not soon, but soon soon. Is soon soon anything like moon moon? If so, I'm worried.

Quote: Originally posted by siletka
Like I said a few times in the original TS4 Chat thread, they've been working on DLC and expansion content at least a month or two before the game even launched.

It's a common business practice now. Hell, the last Street Fighter had purchasable DLC on the disks.

Complete bullshit that they don't know where they're going with it. Maybe it's more of a statement on the competency of the staff or something.

It's ridiculous. It's like, guys, I know you have a pie behind your back. YOU know you're hiding a pie behind your back, hell, we can smell the damn pie. Just put it out there. Hmm.. pie. What was I saying? Oh yeah. I call the first DLC announcement/reveal for next week. Not exactly day one, but close to it.

I survived September 2nd 2014 and all I got was this lousy thread - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532774
Field Researcher
#79 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 1:48 AM
Grant's snark is the only reason I use Twitter
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
He doesn't have his usual snark on the forums like he does on Twitter, but he did say that they will share plans with us not soon, but soon soon. Is soon soon anything like moon moon? If so, I'm worried.

Judging by the horrendous use of hashtags during that livestream, I'd say soon soon is exactly like moon moon. But it's okay--the official forums are still into doge!

I think a better analogy than pie here would be Girl Scout cookies. They're sold regularly, and everyone knows scouts have whole warehouses full of 'em, but no matter how many times people ask for them, we will say "they're available next year probably". We know when cookies are sold. But it would hurt our (or rather, the council's, since we only get like $0.50/box) profits to tell.

you mean you don't lust after death? you don't wanna go on a romantic cruise to hell with death? you don't wanna give death an oil massage?
Theorist
Original Poster
#80 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 1:53 AM
Now I'm thinking I was probably wrong. With all the bad reviews and a hint of the premium membership (around $66 US) coming october 10th (maybe)

http://www.instant-gaming.com/en/53...remium-service/

Maybe they're waiting until then to reveal the plan?

I survived September 2nd 2014 and all I got was this lousy thread - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532774
Field Researcher
#81 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 1:57 AM
That's right, I forgot about the premium membership! It costs more than the game itself. That's just sad.

you mean you don't lust after death? you don't wanna go on a romantic cruise to hell with death? you don't wanna give death an oil massage?
Theorist
Original Poster
#82 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 1:58 AM
That's right, I forgot about the premium membership! It costs more than the game itself. That's just sad.

At least it's on sale on that one site lol

Scholar
#83 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:04 AM
I don't mind DLC when you can see that there's been effort put into it. Like with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Bioshock infinite's Rapture story, or Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare or Skyrim's three packs which gave new quests and locations. Those little crappy micro transactions are awful, and everybody involved in Day 1 DLC or DLC being on the disc deserves to be burned to death at the stake.

The Store for the Sims series differs. When I first heard of it way back when Sims 2: Apartment Life had been released I thought it was to sell existing content from the different packs. Like, say I wanted the pull-down bed from Apartment Life, but nothing else from the game. Well I could buy that on the Store. Which isn't too bad of an idea, that players can purchase one or two bits of furniture cheap if they don't want to get the expansion pack. I mean, I'd like a pool table in The Sims 3, but I'll be damned if I'm going to get Showtime.
I don't mind Worlds being sold on it. I mean, I wouldn't pay $30 for one, but they're there and a few look really nice. (I'd consider getting the desert one, the "spooky" hipster one and Roaring heights if they were cheaper.)

The rest of the Store stuff is crap. Obvious micro transactions for things that clearly should have been in the expansion packs. The worst was that greenhouse. Seasons had just been released and a few days later that (broken) set appears. Such an obvious scam.
Field Researcher
#84 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:06 AM Last edited by darthesp : 5th Sep 2014 at 2:18 AM.
So they pulled the 'No comment' shit all throughout the development process of the base game and now they're going to do the same with the extra content?

EAssholes.

Now that the initial launch is done I need to look forward to something else so I'm curious. How will gameplay packs work? Will the missing crap (cars, toddlers, pools, dishwashers) end up as DLC or in these gameplay pack things? Will DLC store content be as crappy and overpriced as TS3's ones (I'm confident the answer to that one is YES).

I'm going to go eat dinner.

Before I do...
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
The Store for the Sims series differs. When I first heard of it way back when Sims 2: Apartment Life had been released I thought it was to sell existing content from the different packs. Like, say I wanted the pull-down bed from Apartment Life, but nothing else from the game. Well I could buy that on the Store. Which isn't too bad of an idea, that players can purchase one or two bits of furniture cheap if they don't want to get the expansion pack. I mean, I'd like a pool table in The Sims 3, but I'll be damned if I'm going to get Showtime.

I was around in those days. I thought it was a great idea. I didn't have the Pets EP but could buy the Pets furniture if I wanted it (I didn't).

Quote:
I don't mind Worlds being sold on it. I mean, I wouldn't pay $30 for one, but they're there and a few look really nice. (I'd consider getting the desert one, the "spooky" hipster one and Roaring heights if they were cheaper.)

They didn't make it easy for people to make their own worlds, unlike in TS2 (maybe CAW works for some people but it sure didn't for me). So simmers either had to download other user-created worlds or buy them off the store. I can't believe so many people would do the latter, but there are an awful lot of people who don't trust user-made content and think only EA-stuff is good. Those people are weirdos.

Quote:
The rest of the Store stuff is crap. Obvious micro transactions for things that clearly should have been in the expansion packs. The worst was that greenhouse. Seasons had just been released and a few days later that (broken) set appears. Such an obvious scam.

The greenhouse and the changing table were unforgivable IMO. I guess the changing table wasn't necessary but the greenhouse was. Ugh. I have a lot of fun buying stuff from the store on sale using all those free points I got from ads. I don't know why. I don't even like playing TS3 anymore but I've got nothing else to spend all those points on because they're not transferable. Blargh.
Scholar
#85 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:08 AM
Gameplay pack 1: Toddlers and nothing else.

Ha! Just joking. I stand by my opinion that toddlers will never be in The Sims 4. Pools? Yeah, definitely. But I doubt you'll be seeing an age group that requires that much animation and effort being implemented.
Top Secret Researcher
#86 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:14 AM
Yay! Glad I found this thread.

I ignore anything from Grant because what he projects makes me uncomfortable. That's the nicest adjective I could find for him.

I'll give TS4 a go if someone I know has it. Won't be buying it now or when the collections appear.

In other news, I'm excited for Smash Bros. A co-worker is getting it, so no having the to buy the game or the system (it's the only WiiU game I want). Booyah!

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:23 AM
Thank you for this thread. I have decided to de-lurk as I have been in severe Sims4 Newsthread withdrawal for the past two days as I followed both the original and it's follow-up from their creation daily and remember most of you from those threads. Cheers It was what I did....and now...I'm lost. I haven't bought Sims4 and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole at this point but it's like an addiction now. : (

I agree with Pirate Wolf about Toddlers. I wouldn't count on those or even Hot Tubs for a long time, if ever. Grant said at the main forums today that "Hot Tubs were hard and extremely expensive to make for Sims 3". Hot Tubs?
Top Secret Researcher
#88 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:25 AM
When The Store was first out, I thought it was a neat idea. Certain items from EPs were sold there for those who didn't want the whole kit and kaboodle. This was during the end of TS2.

TS3 rolled around. Day One DLC. Points upon game purchase. EPs emptier this time around.

I never bought from The Store. I wasn't too compelled to buy then in morphed to an obvious gimmick. My apologizes if I sound like a holier-than-thou snob. I really am not.

Mad Poster
#89 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:32 AM
The only store items I have are the basketball hoop, playpen, and walkers. And those were given to me. Like TS4, the Sims store will never get a cent out of me
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:37 AM
Gawd, you guys will hate me then because I bought everything there was from the store. I'm worried I will forget to buy that Venice Canal thing before they close it down. I think it's because I didn't even play a Sims game until 2012 and by then Twallan had made it a really good game. Then, I just recently started playing Sims 2 and so I was blessed in that both games were fully modded up with no issues for me whatsoever....which made me such an addict for everything Sims related.

I'm being much more cautious with Sims4 as I have never played one that wasn't modded to the extreme....not sure I could handle it. : )
Top Secret Researcher
#91 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:38 AM
The Stones Throw Greenhouse.

I'm still bitter as all crap about that. What a scam.

Bought it thinking somehow the unfinished moodlet would be fixed, maybe the game would be smart enough to figure out these specific walls were special and don't need floors to plant stuff in the ground. But nope.

Not to mention it should've been in the game to begin with. That's why I'm worried they'll repeat the same thing, since there is no green house in TS4.

On the other hand, I really love Monte Vista. It's my favorite town. The gothic town (forgot the name of it but I own it) is way too dark for me to play in. These crappy eyes of mine can barely see what's going on in that town.

Top Secret Researcher
#92 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:38 AM
Huzzah lil bag2!

Alchemist
#93 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sydsyrious
Gawd, you guys will hate me then because I bought everything there was from the store. I'm worried I will forget to buy that Venice Canal thing before they close it down. I think it's because I didn't even play a Sims game until 2012 and by then Twallan had made it a really good game. Then, I just recently started playing Sims 2 and so I was blessed in that both games were fully modded up with no issues for me whatsoever....which made me such an addict for everything Sims related.

I'm being much more cautious with Sims4 as I have never played one that wasn't modded to the extreme....not sure I could handle it. : )

Nah, this is a no-hate thread because--it was started by, tada! Lovcat.
Top Secret Researcher
#94 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:41 AM

Aww, we don't hate you. If you enjoyed what you purchased, then what's the harm?

Top Secret Researcher
#95 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:44 AM
This is a No Hating Zone. Judging...eh, maybe. :D

How much would you estimate you spent on The Store? Adding in EPs, SPs, and possibly upkeeping your computer...yowza.

Lab Assistant
#96 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover

How much would you estimate you spent on The Store? Adding in EPs, SPs, and possibly upkeeping your computer...yowza.

My main love is the DragonAge series, even though DAII was a major letdown so when I bought an Alienware for that, I haven't had any upkeep really. I think I would be horrified if I knew how much I really spent on the store. I never bought any clothes or hair, etc., because you guys always did such a great job with that stuff. Most of the games were on sale I think.....it's really hard to say and now I'm thinking I might not want to know...lol.
Field Researcher
#97 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover

My answer: $40.

I bought the base game/HELS/Late Night pack for $5 last year. I bought a couple EPs myself (on sale ) and I had two EPs gifted to me. All my store stuff was free thanks to the ads.

LGR's TS4 review : 'I would recommend just holding off until the price comes down quite a bit and I think you'll be happy that you did.'

That giant chicken.
Scholar
#98 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 2:54 AM
Thank you for this thread. I have decided to de-lurk as I have been in severe Sims4 Newsthread withdrawal for the past two days as I followed both the original and it's follow-up from their creation daily and remember most of you from those threads. Cheers It was what I did....and now...I'm lost. I haven't bought Sims4 and wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole at this point but it's like an addiction now. : (

I agree with Pirate Wolf about Toddlers. I wouldn't count on those or even Hot Tubs for a long time, if ever. Grant said at the main forums today that "Hot Tubs were hard and extremely expensive to make for Sims 3". Hot Tubs?

Maybe it's unfair but I'm not sure if anything about this mess irritates me as much as "the stuff we could do ten years ago now cuts too deeply into our bottom line, sorry". This is the fourth or fifth former base game item he's described as being too hard now. Way to push the envelope, guys.
Field Researcher
#99 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 3:05 AM
I guess my cynicism knows no bounds. When I saw Grant on the official forums today, I immediately thought, "Uh oh, damage control mode." I could just picture some executive at EA seeing that 3.8 user score on Metacritic, and shouting,

"3.8?? What the fuck is this shit, get on those goddam forums and start pretending you care!"

(I'm just kidding, I'm sure that didn't really happen. Well. Almost sure).

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
-Honeywell
Scholar
#100 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by darthesp
My answer: $40.

I bought the base game/HELS/Late Night pack for $5 last year. I bought a couple EPs myself (on sale ) and I had two EPs gifted to me. All my store stuff was free thanks to the ads.

All that for $40? Damn, go you.

I wish we had that ad deal here in Australia. (Do we? I remember looking up something similar a while ago and finding out it was only for North America.) I'll be holding off getting The Sims 4 indefinitely, and I would like some more content. Especially Worlds. I'm looking at a few custom ones and Jericho has caught my eye.

Edit: Quote from Grant on the official forums, found by Gargoyle Cat:
Quote:
In my 9 years on The Sims, we have never removed a feature to sell later. We do everything we can in every pack and move on. But nobody has ever said "let's not do <feature>. We should sell it later."

Source: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...-returned-it/p3

Page 4 of 130