Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 1:52 AM Last edited by Borja20 : 12th Aug 2021 at 7:53 PM. Reason: solved

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Crashing with certain key combination
This is a kinda stupid question. I could literally fix this by being careful, but it's really getting annoying... Ctrl+Shift+F, does that shortcut exist? Does it do something? When I do it, my game just instantly crashes with the "The program stopped working and will be shut down" kind of message.
The problem I have with it is that, while I'm building, alternating between Ctrl+Shift+C for the cheats and Shift+F for the quarter tile placement, I sometimes accidentally mix them, and boom, crash. And of course, I lose everything since last time I saved.

So, I was wondering if that shortcut is maybe some feature that for some reason doesn't work in my PC. Something like the Ctrl+Shift+S one to see FPS.
Alternatively, is there any way to change shortcuts for the quarter tile cheat or to open the cheat box?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 1:15 PM
I don't know if F does anything, but it sounds like it's nothing good.

You can activate quartertile and just leave it on, so you only have to activate it once. That leaves it a bit less likely you'll click anything wrong.

My trick for Ctrl+shift+C is one-handed left. Put your little+ring finger on ctrl+shift and index on C. If you want to go to F with your index finger, you'll have to do an up-maneuver with your hand and curl the two other fingers a bit, so it's harder to do it wrong accidentally, especially if you let your hand rest comfortably on the keyboard (at least on a laptop - been a while since I used a regular keyboard).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 2:14 PM
I like to turn the quarter tile off because having it activated is a bit annoying when I actually want to put something inside the tile. Specially for objects that have to go in walls.
But I will try that, it sounds like a good way. Let's see if I can get used, I normally use the right hand for the C and the F. Thanks!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Aug 2020 at 11:01 PM
And another thing - it can easily be modified to Ringfinger on shift + index on F for quartertile by keping Ring on shift but moving the index finger to F, which kind of automatically makes the little finger move out of the way from the Ctrl-button, which very handily defeats the problem you had.

May take a bit of practice. It also helps to keep the left and right hand on their proper sides of the keyboard (left = anything left of G, right = anything right of H), because it's easier to learn where the keys are, and you don't have to move you hands around so much.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 1:53 AM
Sounds hard but I'll try. I should really keep each hand in their side, I'm a chaos when typing

So I guess no one else actually tried to do Ctrl+Shift+F.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 3:49 AM
Ctrl+Shift+F doesn't appear to have any effect on my game. Is it possible that this key combination has been assigned to some other program on your system? (taking screenshots, etc.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 10:21 AM
Yes, Ctrl+Shift+F crashed mine too, I'm on Win 10 and play in windowed mode. Not sure why, here's a list of programs that use that key combo but I can't see anything that would explain why Sims 2 crashes!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 12:13 PM
I doubt it's because of another program. I normally play with no other programs in the background, and doing Ctrl+Shift+F outside the game doesn't do anything either.
I don't play in windowed mode, but Windows 10 too. Must be a Win 10 thing.
Scholar
#9 Old 27th Aug 2020 at 2:39 PM
According to the Accelerator Key Definitions found in the ui.package Control Shift F is supposed to "Toggle Frame Count Window"
It's part of a set of Key Definitions called "Main Window cheat codes", none of which seem to work.

;;; Sims 2 keyboard accelerators -- Main Window cheat codes

Control Shift F = 0x6818c3c8 "Toggle Frame Count Window"
Control Shift E = 0x0ca03a08 "Activate Edith"
Control Shift R = 0x6ca03a05 "Animation Recorder"
Control Shift M = 0xeca03a43 "Subtract Money Cheat"
Control Alt M = 0xaca03a67 "Add Money Cheat"
Shift B = 0x6ca03a8b "Place Neighborhood Object"
Control U = 0xeca168dc "Show UI Browser"
Shift E = 0x4cb3b26b "Run Demo Effect"
Control X = 0xccb3b274 "Lighting Update"
Control Shift W = 0x0cb3b285 "Toggle Wireframe Mode"
Shift W = 0x2cb3b586 "Toggle Backface Culling Mode"