Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 10:25 AM
Default LOTR allusion to real life
The Lord of The Rings can be seen as an allusion (a story told as a metaphorical parable) to real life. Most of us have "rings" that need to be destroyed in our lives, whether it be a person, a habit, or an attitude, we have things that are precious to us, but ultimately cause us harm in the long run. For me my "precious" would be cigarettes. I've tried and tried to quit, and I know how detrimental it is to my health, but I still continue to smoke, throwing caution to the wind.

I also think that Tolkein had this in mind when he was writing the books. So what are your thoughts on this, do you have any "rings" in your life that need to be destroyed?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 25th Sep 2009 at 6:07 PM
I think everyone does. I have many things that I probably need to change that aren't necessarily good for me, one of which is that I drink too much pop, and even though it's diet, it's still not good for me and I'm trying to wean myself off. I have several other things, but that's one of the biggest. I also tend to "escape" into "fantasy" when life gets to be too much of a suckfest, especially if there's nothing I can do about it. I think that does more harm than good when it becomes my first alternative and I do it too much...doing everything I can to resolve a problem or problems should be my first alternative, and I'm getting alot better about that. We all have our vices and addictions...the key is to learn how to manage them instead of letting them manage us.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.