Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2020 at 11:26 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default invisible families and weird family portrait
Hi, so I just reinstalled my sims 2 games on my new computer. I went through the process of making it work on Windows 10, something that didn't give me issues on my last computer. However, now after going through that process, this happens.

Some of the families in my lot bin go invisible. And when I either move a family in the lot or load a lot with a family in it, the family portrait ends up looking like this.

Is this a glitch with my graphics driver? I have AMD Vega 3 built in and went and installed the latest driver, but that doesn't seem to work. I have Graphics Rules Maker and set the force texture memory to 1024, but that doesn't work either. I have no CC installed atm.

Any solution to this? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that doesn't work either.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Aug 2020 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by adri66215
I have Graphics Rules Maker and set the force texture memory to 1024, but that doesn't work either.

That sounds a bit low - 1024 is just 1 GB of RAM. Could be too little available texture memory.
Have you run the 4GB fix (if you have 6 GB or more of RAM)? That's pretty much essential on Win10. If there's just 2 GB RAM and 1 GB texture memory available for the game, it could be struggling.

After you run your game, what does the "[Computername]-config-log" file in the Logs folder say under these lines?
Memory:
Texture memory:

Or could you maybe copy everything down to where it says "Global properties" and paste it into a post?
(you may want to blank the "user" and "computer" fields)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2020 at 12:12 AM Last edited by adri66215 : 22nd Aug 2020 at 2:03 AM.
This is what it says for memory and texture memory, though I dunno if this is after I adjusted with GRM.

Memory: 2048MB
Texture memory: 1024MB

I have tried getting the 4GB patch, but it stays like this even after moving the patch onto the application.

If this helps better, this is what it says in global properties.

(removed)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2020 at 1:44 AM
I meant "everything above and down to Global properties" (everything below it is just a list of which cheats are active or not, which isn't too useful)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2020 at 2:02 AM
Oh whoops! Sorry, misunderstood what you said.

Here's the info I have

Log generated on 8/21/2020, 16:02

=== Application info ===
Name: The Sims 2 EP9
Version: 1.17.0.66
Build: ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows NT 6.0
CPU: 3633Mhz, Name:AuthenticAMD, FPU:1, MMX:1
Free memory: 2048MB
User: [REDACTED]
Computer: [REDACTED]
=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown
=== Graphics Rules Maker Configuration ===
Force texture memory: 1024 Mb
Disable Texture Memory Estimate Adjustment: Yes
Enable Driver Memory Manager: No
Disable Sims Shadows: Yes
Radeon HD7000 fix: No
Intel High Quality: No
Intel V-Sync: No
Default Resolution: 1024x768
Maximum Resolution: 1920x1080
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): GeForce 7800 GTX
Name (database): GeForce 7800 GTX
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 0091, Board: 00000000, Chipset: 0000
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 32767.65535.65535.65535, GUID: 00000005-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Driver version: 65535
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect: 1.773195, 16:9
Screen mode: 1920x1080x32BPP,60Hz
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Aug 2020 at 3:48 AM
I had similar issues if you check out my post here https://modthesims.info/showthread....542#post5378542 and here https://modthesims.info/showthread....101#post5379101
I could play CC free, but as I added in CC I could see the save trying harder and harder to save. It was also a new PC, I had to upgrade it if you read over my posts.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#7 Old 24th Sep 2020 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by adri66215
Oh whoops! Sorry, misunderstood what you said.

Here's the info I have

Log generated on 8/21/2020, 16:02

=== Application info ===
Name: The Sims 2 EP9
Version: 1.17.0.66
Build: ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows NT 6.0
CPU: 3633Mhz, Name:AuthenticAMD, FPU:1, MMX:1
Free memory: 2048MB
User: [REDACTED]
Computer: [REDACTED]
=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown
=== Graphics Rules Maker Configuration ===
Force texture memory: 1024 Mb
Disable Texture Memory Estimate Adjustment: Yes
Enable Driver Memory Manager: No
Disable Sims Shadows: Yes
Radeon HD7000 fix: No
Intel High Quality: No
Intel V-Sync: No
Default Resolution: 1024x768
Maximum Resolution: 1920x1080
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): GeForce 7800 GTX
Name (database): GeForce 7800 GTX
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 0091, Board: 00000000, Chipset: 0000
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 32767.65535.65535.65535, GUID: 00000005-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Driver version: 65535
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect: 1.773195, 16:9
Screen mode: 1920x1080x32BPP,60Hz
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1

Did you end up getting this sorted? The same thing has happened to me
Forum Resident
#8 Old 25th Sep 2020 at 12:37 PM
Did you check the links joandsarah77 provided above you? Maybe that was where the TC found their solution.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Test Subject
#9 Old 25th Sep 2020 at 2:14 PM
I am struggling with this glitch as well. I am also having issues with the last sim I played overlaying the lot in a glitched out way when I save on the lot. While I am on the lot it doesn't effect the view but if the portrait overlaps another lot then the texture is viewable. I have been scanning forums for the past few days and haven't found anything that could fix it. I am dyslexic too so I am not sure if I missed a solution.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 25th Sep 2020 at 6:02 PM
I looked around on here to find similar issues and what people did to fix it.

One user in this thread had a similar issue, which was caused by a recent update of DXVK. The issue was fixed by reverting to a previous version.
Thread: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=647614

In the links provided by joandsarah77, they had similar issues. I believe they said upgrading their PC fixed the issue.

I'm noticing the TC is forcing texture memory... I don't know if that is causing the error or not. Personally, I have it on 'Do not force,' and I've had no issues.

There could be a solution here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=646384

I'm no computer expert, though I should be as I'm taking a University course in this sort of thing (I'm learning), but I'd say it could either be your overall computer specs (RAM, maybe...), or an issue with DirectX, as that's been cited as an issue in some threads.

You could also make a test hood and do the 50/50 method to see if it isn't a piece of CC causing this graphical error. Better yet, maybe try generating a new 'The Sims 2' folder. I do this by going into Documents/EA GAMES/ and I rename 'The Sims 2' to 'The Sims 2_z' what you rename it to doesn't matter, just as long as you know what it is and it isn't called 'The Sims 2.' Load the game and it should be a fresh game. See if the issue persists, if it's gone then you know that it was CC. If it's still there, then it could possibly be an issue with the computer.

I'm trying to help with my limited knowledge here. If nothing worked I'll try to think of something else. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge can shed some light.

Test Subject
#11 Old 26th Sep 2020 at 11:39 AM Last edited by Rebste30 : 26th Sep 2020 at 11:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I looked around on here to find similar issues and what people did to fix it.

One user in this thread had a similar issue, which was caused by a recent update of DXVK. The issue was fixed by reverting to a previous version.
Thread: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=647614

In the links provided by joandsarah77, they had similar issues. I believe they said upgrading their PC fixed the issue.

I'm noticing the TC is forcing texture memory... I don't know if that is causing the error or not. Personally, I have it on 'Do not force,' and I've had no issues.

There could be a solution here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=646384

I'm no computer expert, though I should be as I'm taking a University course in this sort of thing (I'm learning), but I'd say it could either be your overall computer specs (RAM, maybe...), or an issue with DirectX, as that's been cited as an issue in some threads.

You could also make a test hood and do the 50/50 method to see if it isn't a piece of CC causing this graphical error. Better yet, maybe try generating a new 'The Sims 2' folder. I do this by going into Documents/EA GAMES/ and I rename 'The Sims 2' to 'The Sims 2_z' what you rename it to doesn't matter, just as long as you know what it is and it isn't called 'The Sims 2.' Load the game and it should be a fresh game. See if the issue persists, if it's gone then you know that it was CC. If it's still there, then it could possibly be an issue with the computer.

I'm trying to help with my limited knowledge here. If nothing worked I'll try to think of something else. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge can shed some light.

Thanks for trying to help I really do appreciate it. I wanted to type what I had managed to do for now before I forget.

If I remove the DXVK file then my game no longer works properly. I can hear the games music but i can't see the loading screen or the game at all. I am using the d3d9.dll file. I might be missing it and if which case sorry but I can't an older version to swap it out.

I got the game in windowed mode finally I had forgotten to put a space between -w and the file location. This however didn't seem to help I spotted that it might be an issue on the fix to run the game.

I had to install the 4gb patch a different way to that guide but it was doing this strange graphical thing before the 4gb patch was working. It doesn't seem to have fixed it.

I spotted that graphics rule maker had unapplied so I have reapplied it and although it has not fixed it. The spreading textures do seem to have reduced but I am not sure if that is down to me resaving it and it just looking better or if graphics rule maker actually did something.

In terms of specs I ain't great at knowing what I am talking about but I do have a gaming laptop so I don't think it is a lack of RAM and so on unless it's not recognising it. But I think from my understanding that's what the 4gb patch and graphics rule maker are fixing right?

I will get back to you on custom content I left that last because I think that is unlikely to be that. I don't have much of it but I will get back to you on it.

Reduced is certainly better I am not to bothered about the neighbourhood looking a bit shoddy if the lots are playable it's when the graphic overlaps with another lot its causing me major problems as it's almost impossible to see anything.

I'll continue to mess with settings and see how I do but thank you again for trying. I really do appreciate it. I ain't good with this kind of thing!
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#12 Old 26th Sep 2020 at 3:16 PM
Wow... is that face on the lot as you're playing?

d3d9.dll file? I don't know if it's that file, but I think I came across some older topics that said removing a file fixed their issue. It wasn't this problem, at least I don't think so, it's been a while since I came across the thread.

It may have been the d3d9.dll file, or some other .dll file, but I'm not completely certain. You could try backing up the whole game before removing it and seeing if that remedies the problem. If not, there has to be a cause somewhere, we just have to find it

Test Subject
#13 Old 26th Sep 2020 at 4:06 PM Last edited by Rebste30 : 26th Sep 2020 at 4:12 PM. Reason: Dyslexic typos
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
Wow... is that face on the lot as you're playing?

d3d9.dll file? I don't know if it's that file, but I think I came across some older topics that said removing a file fixed their issue. It wasn't this problem, at least I don't think so, it's been a while since I came across the thread.

It may have been the d3d9.dll file, or some other .dll file, but I'm not completely certain. You could try backing up the whole game before removing it and seeing if that remedies the problem. If not, there has to be a cause somewhere, we just have to find it

The face in the top left corner only appears if I take a photo in game or if I paint something it is really odd haha but no it isn't there as I play thank goodness! But the gray texture is a portait from another lot its just covered in snow. Each layer stacks so it's like every half a sim there is a new one and its taller than the lot height. If it covers the whole lot it is impossible to see anything unless you are exactly the right angle not ideal though! I do seem to have reduced it I think with Graphic Rules Maker I think I am not 100% sure I certainly can see some lots that I did not before.

Sadly if I remove the d3d9.dll my game will not load at all it just plays the starting music but there is no loading screen or anything so a visually buggy game is currently better. I am still fiddling with stuff in between playing because I am not sure if it will fix all at once or if I will need to resave lots to see if it has fixed. I have found that apartments at the moment don't seem to do this weird texture thing that appears in the neighborhood. I still have a jumbled mess on the loading screens though.

I am honestly just glad I have got it to a point where it is somewhat playable at the moment. Before getting it to this point I hadn't played in over a year. I'm a lot happier even if it's just reduced for now so thanks for that!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Sep 2020 at 10:41 PM
Most of these issues are due to the hardware that you are running the game on. If you are tossing cc into your game and you do not have the hardware capable of rendering it you will get graphical issues and possibly worse saving issues. If you do have the hardware then the next step is to check and see if the game is actually using that hardware by using the 4 GB patch and Graphic Rules.

With Win 10 you may need grumpy loader and the DXVK https://docs.google.com/document/d/...rOs/mobilebasic

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#15 Old 28th Sep 2020 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Most of these issues are due to the hardware that you are running the game on. If you are tossing cc into your game and you do not have the hardware capable of rendering it you will get graphical issues and possibly worse saving issues. If you do have the hardware then the next step is to check and see if the game is actually using that hardware by using the 4 GB patch and Graphic Rules.

With Win 10 you may need grumpy loader and the DXVK https://docs.google.com/document/d/...rOs/mobilebasic

I think it is all working and I do have DXVK cus it doens't work without it. What is grumpy loader though? I have added my config-log file please feel free to look. Also custom content isn't changing the effect that I am having.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  config-log.txt (15.2 KB, 4 downloads)
Field Researcher
#16 Old 28th Sep 2020 at 6:32 PM
Grumpy Loader is a program that many use to install EA's TS2 patches on Windows 10, otherwise they crash during installation. Not sure if that applies here, unless you're installing those updates.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 28th Sep 2020 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rebste30
I think it is all working and I do have DXVK cus it doens't work without it. What is grumpy loader though? I have added my config-log file please feel free to look. Also custom content isn't changing the effect that I am having.

Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 3036MB

The 4 gb patch is not working/and or you do not have enough RAM for it to work.

Name (database): GeForce 7800 GTX Is this your graphic card? Just checking as sometimes it can put up a name of a card you don't have.

Yeah, Grumpy Loader is if you are on disks. OP said " reinstalled my sims 2 games " and now I realize you are someone else. Honestly, its best to have your own thread so as not to confuse matters. On your own thread detail what form of game you have Origin UC, Steam? UC, Mac, disks and computer specs.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Oct 2020 at 1:44 AM
hi, TC here, didn't respond because I had given up a few months ago trying to fix my issue. however, today I found that my issue was specifically DXVK. I reinstalled my game, used a previous version of DXVK instead of the recent version and my issue seems to be resolved now.

hope this helps for anyone that's having a similar issue.