Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2019 at 1:48 AM
Default TUTORIAL: How to build porch stairs right in front of a door
I saw a user by the name of 'pfeirr9' wanting to know how to build porch stairs right in front of a door, I'm sure that is something we have all wanted to do but have accepted that we can't, but I have found a way, and since I have been blessed with so much quality content and helpful tutorials from ModTheSims, I would like to give back to the community.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
WHAT YO SHOULD KNOW:
  • Always turn off building cheats when not using them, leaving them on can have unintended consequences, for example, deleting foundation with 'boolProp constrainFloorElevation' set to 'false' will make foundations snap to wall height when deleting them.
  • Always make backups of lots when using Mootilda's Grid Adjuster , accidently inputting the wrong values can mess up a lot, and this can be difficult to fix.
  • Sims will clip though the stairs when walking up or down, this is because the stairs are actually just for show, the sim is actually walking in sloped floor tiles.
  • Sims will zip forward when apporaching the stairs, this is because the sim is transitioning to the next level when using HugeLunatic's Simple Passage.
  • You can build this without using Mootilda's Grid Adjuster but your sim won't walk on the stairs, they will walk above them.

Let's begin:

STEP 1

Lay your foundation, leaving a gap where the top of you stairs and door will be, and cover with flooring

STEP 2

Add flooring on the tile where your stairs will be, and some more flooring around the area of your ground landing (except on foundation level, not ground)

STEP 3

Insert cheat 'boolProp constrainFloorElevation false'
Raise up the terrain under your upper landing by 4 clicks

STEP 4

Insert cheat 'MoveObjects on'
Place the modular (connecting) stairs of your choice

STEP 5

Level the flooring with the level terrain tool, this will also automatically level the terrain.

STEP 6

Insert cheat 'MoveObjects off'
Place the door of your choice. IMPORTANT: Choose your door and orientation carefully, you won't be able to change it after completing the next steps without repeating the procedure again.

STEP 6

Place frillen's Invisible Tile on the floor tile above your stairs.

STEP 7

Insert cheat 'boolProp constrainFloorElevation true'
Level as much of the ground as possible (without the cheat)

STEP 8

Now it's time to exit the game and use Mootilda's Grid Adjuster , before doing so, use floor tiles to count the about of tiles so you can input the correct numbers into GridAdjuster
Save your game, then add floor tiles after saving and screenshot, then exit game without saving and run GridAdjuster

STEP 9

Run the game again and return to your lot, after your grid adjustments, it should look like the picture above, the blue floor tiles you see are actually on foundation level, not ground level

STEP 10

You can now remove the blue tiles (apart from the one at the bottom of your stairs

STEP 11

Place frillen's Invisible Tile at the bottom of your stairs (on foundation level, not ground)

STEP 12

Insert cheat 'MoveObjects on'
Ensure that you are on the ground level when placing the Simple Passage to avoid accidentally connecting the wrong levels and creating unwanted floor tiles
Place HugeLunatic's Simple Passage in front of your stairs

STEP 13

Insert cheat 'MoveObjects off'
Turn HugeLunatic's Simple Passage invisible using the design tool.

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE DONE

NOTE:

If space is an issue, you can places your Simple Passage perpendicular to your stairs.

You can also places your Simple Passage closer to the stairs, but this will result in your sim zipping through the door without the door opening.

Please enjoy and I hope this unlocks new building possibilities for everyone.
Thank you for taking the time to read this tutorial and I hope it benefits everyone.