Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Glow-in-the-Dark / Neon Walls & Ceilings

by jgwhiteus Posted 17th Feb 2005 at 10:30 PM - Updated 29th Oct 2006 at 2:58 AM by jgwhiteus : Update

96 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 90 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Test Subject
#26 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 2:48 AM Last edited by nyght_risen : 19th Feb 2005 at 3:25 AM.
Love these!!! Thanks so much I may not be a kid anymore but I still have glow stars on my ceiling. Hmmmm now I am gonna have to pick up another pack tomorrow. Just out of curiosity is there any way you can post the ones in the second pic. I love them but I am no good at all this making stuff the most I have managed is a straight recolor of a Maxis shirt. I suck lol
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 4:06 AM Last edited by jgwhiteus : 21st Aug 2005 at 10:19 AM.
Sure, no problem. These were just quick recolors I made for testing purposes, but there's no harm in posting them, as they worked fine in the game. If you'd like something similar, feel free to ask (but be specific) - these are often fun to make for my game as well. Same instructions as last time; Downloads folder or a Recolor sub-folder.

J.

EDIT: Recolor files moved to first post.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 4:11 AM
These should go nicely with Bootbrisket's incantation station.Looks like some kind of spellcasting chamber.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 4:57 AM
Nice, thank you
Test Subject
#30 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 1:24 AM
Thanki You Thank You Thank you *hugs*
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 1:38 AM
It is possible to do this in different colors right? Because i have green, blue, pink, purple, orange and a few others in my room. I may just have to try that tutorial and find out. By the way, these are AWESOME. Great Job!
Forum Resident
#32 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 1:41 AM
Oh very cool!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 2:46 AM
Hi AmericanPride14,

Yes, you can make these any color you choose with a Paint program. You can also make any shape you choose by editing the alpha channel - it won't appear 3D; it'll appear flat (like a sticker or decal), but I figure it's much easier to re-color and customize than a 3D mesh object.

Just as an additional note, I finally learned how to edit light attributes (color, intensity, direction, etc.) for lamp objects - you can see my newly released "colored lightbulbs" in this forum. So making a "nightlight" object that turns on and off and only gives a faint glow is now possible. I could make it be a 3D object with a mesh (though I'm horrible at mesh editing), or I could make it similar to this object - a flat plane that can easily be edited to make whatever colors and shapes you want - does anyone have any preferences? I might not release it for a while, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there. Anyway, thanks for the feedback,

J.
Test Subject
#34 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 3:42 AM
thanks so much I been thinking how great these would be, I used the 7ds set for the sims 1 all time, it was one thing i missed for the Sims 2. GrrrrrrrEEEEaaattt work!
Field Researcher
#35 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 3:44 AM Last edited by fireflies : 23rd Feb 2005 at 10:44 AM.
Your glow in the darks are fabulous and i was wondering if i created a few would you mind if i shared them or would you prefer that we didnt, i would also like to thank you for allowing us to have these and for presenting us with a tutorial on recolours :D

Edit well thank you it is much appreciated & so far these are just a beginning test till i get used to doing the shading of blacklight and glowing in the darks.. and if i am asked to move them i will i am unsure where to? maybe misc??
Again thanks for sharing and allowing me to share them..
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 3:50 AM Last edited by jgwhiteus : 20th Feb 2005 at 4:00 AM.
fireflies,

I think it would be great if you shared them - the original idea for this object would be that people could use it as a base to create and share all kinds of designs (I guess the usual restrictions apply regarding paysites, etc.) If you'd like to share them on this thread, you can just attach them to your post - though I'm not sure if "re-colors" are supposed to go in a separate forum or not. Anyway, glad you liked the object,

J.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 11:02 PM
"yay thanks very much"
Test Subject
#38 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 2:49 AM
well i downloaded the recolors from fireflies, but the rar's are password-protected.
could you be so kind to tell us the secret word?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 3:39 AM
Hi all,

I've just noticed that there appears to be a problem with creating re-color packages with SimPE v.018 and later (v.019) - you will get a blank file. I haven't had problems with any of the earlier versions (v.015 - v.017c). I'm trying to figure out what the issue is, but for now, if you'd like to make re-colors, you should probably do so with SimPE version 017c or earlier.
Test Subject
#40 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 2:24 PM
fireflies!
If not a secret, what password on archives?
Test Subject
#41 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 2:35 AM
well ok now
WHATS THE PASSWORD U LIL
Field Researcher
#42 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 7:32 AM
O wow i love this so much! Looks so lovely in my game! Thanx! :clap:
Field Researcher
#43 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 8:37 AM
you know the randome pattern of zodiac symbols you have for the cealing? I was hoping you could make that one gor the wall please?
I really love these!
#44 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 8:45 AM
cool! i never thought than the sims have a ceiling)))
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 8:53 AM
Now they have thanks to jgwhiteus and a few other talented people from mts2
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 23rd Feb 2005 at 9:55 AM
This is so cool and a tutorial on how to do it too! jgwhiteus you are good to us here at MTS2.
Test Subject
#47 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 3:28 PM
okay first let me say, I love this idea and they look great :D.... but I am feeling like a true blonde :/ I have read and reread the tutorial that you put up, and follow it step by step after realizing that the newest version of SimPE wasnt working quite right I brought out my older version _015 and am able to open the object and see the textures for it. I have spent the last 3 days triing to do some recolors of the object with different shapes and colors. I have follow the tutorial exactly as it says.... but I have run into a couple problems, that I was hoping someone could help me with. First off when I am able to get SimPE to read the object, I do the recolor step by step, yet when I save and start the game, I either end up with the same green stars, or I end up with what looks like wallpaper for the wall but under buy mode or I end up getting this message when I try and load the object "cannot call close() while doing creat handle" ... anyone know what that means and how to avoid it?
Test Subject
#48 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 3:48 PM
can we have blue stars
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 11:02 PM Last edited by jgwhiteus : 26th Feb 2005 at 11:07 PM.
Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been away for awhile and haven't been great about fulfilling re-color requests; in general, I've been waiting for the University EP to come out this week so that I can test out my objects on it and make necessary changes, and didn't want to do re-colors that may run into problems.

I've figured out the SimPE problem and can make the object work with later versions (0.18 and above), but this disables the object working in earlier versions. I'm trying to find a solution that will make the object work in all versions of SimPE and will still get all re-color packages already made to still work in the game, so please bear with me for a while. If I'm unable to do that, I'll just release a version that can only be re-colored with SimPE v 0.18 and later and will still make use of old re-colors, as that is definitely possible.

Thunderess,

On your first problem, the green stars and "wallpaper" (it looks like a yellow block) are the default images in the Thumbnail catalog. If you click on those images in the catalog and bring up the object description window (with the price, etc.), do you see more thumbnails for the object underneath the object description, to the sides of the default thumbnail image? If you click on those, then you'll be able to place your re-colors. If you see no options at all, then your re-colors aren't being recognized by the game.

I wasn't sure if the error message you were getting was in the game or in SimPE. SimPE can be quite temperamental about opening, closing, and saving files - e.g. if you open a file twice in the same session, sometimes you won't be able to save changes to it. I usually end up exiting and re-opening SimPE a lot (even though it takes longer) to ensure that whatever objects I've saved are truly closed. The same goes for textures - if you import a texture into your object, and later try to change it and save over it in a paint program while SimPE is still open, you'll sometimes get an error message that prevents you from saving - as long as SimPE is open, the file is protected from changes, so you'll need to close SimPE completely to make changes to the texture in the paint program. Anyway, let me know if this problem persists; thanks,

J.
Test Subject
#50 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 11:26 PM
This is one of the coolest creations I've seen! Thanks for the excellent work!
Page 2 of 4