Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2020 at 5:20 PM Last edited by onica432 : 3rd Aug 2020 at 5:43 PM.
Default Attaching interactions to sculpture?
how difficult would it be and what would i have to do to attach interactions to a sculpture? like say i take the beckoning cat sculpture, what would i have to do to make children able to treat it as if it was a teddybear? Please explain as if your talking to a complete dumbass, or please point my way to the right articles to look at.

Also i do think i posted this in the wrong place and i do apologize if so.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2020 at 11:28 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Aug 2020 at 12:17 AM.
The easiest would be to clone a teddybear, and do joint assignments to the existing rig so the item can animate (via the GMDC and Unimesh, basically the same method as for CAS items or other rigged objects like cars).

---

There's animations and interactions and all sorts of things you need for an object to work, so the easiest is to start out with a base object that's most similar to the object you want the item to act like, and then build on that. This allows you to more easily change the mesh and texture, maybe bits and pieces of interactions and such.

I could start pointing you toward tutorials, but at the moment it's difficult to know what you don't know, what you already know and where the struggle is. There is nothing more frustrating than to bite over a huge project and realizing there's a huge chunk of knowledge missing. It could be pointing you toward a tutorial about making a custom rig, a tutorial about BHAVs, or how to link a mesh to an existing rig, or how to make a basic object from scratch - but it would help knowing roughly what you already know in SimPE so you're not overwhelmed (a lot of these tutorials can be overwhelming, especially if you're new to making objects or new to SimPE).

If you start with a sculpture you have to build everything from scratch, and I really do mean everything - the skeleton/rig, the animations for the object and the sims, the interactions/BHAVs, and so forth. They don't have much to go on. Decoration pieces are usually very bare-bones.

If you get to the point where you know SimPE upside down and sideways, you know how to rig and do animations pretty muh blindfolded, and can do BHAVs in your sleep, then perhaps starting out with a sculpture is the easiest thing in the world. Until then - start with the basics, and work your way up.

Basically - if you want to make a clay sculpture, don't start out with paper...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The easiest would be to clone a teddybear, and do joint assignments to the existing rig so the item can animate (via the GMDC and Unimesh, basically the same method as for CAS items or other rigged objects like cars).

---

There's animations and interactions and all sorts of things you need for an object to work, so the easiest is to start out with a base object that's most similar to the object you want the item to act like, and then build on that. This allows you to more easily change the mesh and texture, maybe bits and pieces of interactions and such.

I could start pointing you toward tutorials, but at the moment it's difficult to know what you don't know, what you already know and where the struggle is. There is nothing more frustrating than to bite over a huge project and realizing there's a huge chunk of knowledge missing. It could be pointing you toward a tutorial about making a custom rig, a tutorial about BHAVs, or how to link a mesh to an existing rig, or how to make a basic object from scratch - but it would help knowing roughly what you already know in SimPE so you're not overwhelmed (a lot of these tutorials can be overwhelming, especially if you're new to making objects or new to SimPE).

If you start with a sculpture you have to build everything from scratch, and I really do mean everything - the skeleton/rig, the animations for the object and the sims, the interactions/BHAVs, and so forth. They don't have much to go on. Decoration pieces are usually very bare-bones.

If you get to the point where you know SimPE upside down and sideways, you know how to rig and do animations pretty muh blindfolded, and can do BHAVs in your sleep, then perhaps starting out with a sculpture is the easiest thing in the world. Until then - start with the basics, and work your way up.

Basically - if you want to make a clay sculpture, don't start out with paper...

HAH, I was hopping i could just stick the same interactions on it XD of course nothing is ever that easy. i guess it would be too difficult for what little i know, especially if the sculptures have that small of skeleton. Thankyou anyways
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Aug 2020 at 2:46 PM
I don't think most sculptures have usable rigs at all.

But you can try to play around with cloning a teddy bear or anything else that's animated ingame, so you get familiar with how rigs work. You assign joints similarly for hair, most (simple) accessories, and objects. Here's a tutorial that takes you through the basics of assigning joints manually: https://serenity-fall.dreamwidth.org/1813.html
(for clothes you'll want to use a different method because it's more complicated and a whole lot more joints).

You'll probably also need one for cloning and making objects (there's several of those). There's a few in the tutorial section here on MTS, plus some here: https://ts2tutorialdatabase.tumblr.com/ (categories to the left).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I don't think most sculptures have usable rigs at all.

But you can try to play around with cloning a teddy bear or anything else that's animated ingame, so you get familiar with how rigs work. You assign joints similarly for hair, most (simple) accessories, and objects. Here's a tutorial that takes you through the basics of assigning joints manually: https://serenity-fall.dreamwidth.org/1813.html
(for clothes you'll want to use a different method because it's more complicated and a whole lot more joints).

You'll probably also need one for cloning and making objects (there's several of those). There's a few in the tutorial section here on MTS, plus some here: https://ts2tutorialdatabase.tumblr.com/ (categories to the left).

Thankyou