Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2020 at 11:05 PM
Default The allthehairs' website is suspect
I just got a warning from Firefox telling me that it could damage my computer.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Oct 2020 at 11:29 PM
Just as modern antiviruses mistake old games for untrustworthy files, perfectly innocent old websites can trigger false positives for dangerous conditions. These messages would be more useful if they told us how they suspect the website could damage the computer. There's a big difference between "this file's cookies are infected with Known Virus 100952" and "we don't recognize this code and we're in panic mode."

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Oct 2020 at 11:56 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Oct 2020 at 12:45 AM.
If the site has HTTP instead of HTTPS that could potentially explain it. Some antivirus programs (probably browsers, too) went nuts on old HTTP Simfileshare links a few weeks back, but fixing the links seemed to help. Not sure if that's going to help for allthehairs, though (if that's even the problem).

Firefox is tracking trackers and running checks on sites before taking you there, so it could just be there's something in the security clearance it doesn't like. I've had one browser go "ALERT!!!!" and another "Nah, it's fine" on a webpage before, without getting any alerts from my antivirus.

When that's said, the Allthehairs page has had some issues with this lately. I don't know if whoever is running that site is still around and check up on it every once in a while, but perhaps it's time they see what's going on with all the potential security issues? I've had a couple warnings on there too, and I'm kinda paranoid when it comes to potentially unsafe pages, so I must admit I haven't been on there for a while, but I haven't used the site much anyway.
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 12:15 AM
It seems like phishing is a thing nowadays.
Firefox is telling that the website leads to malicious sites.
Inventor
#5 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 2:12 AM
Just speaking from my experiences , I've never had any trouble there at all. I go there multiple times every week. The owner is active, I recently left them a message about a few spam entries and they responded.

ETA , you can give the owner ( applesauce) a heads up here if you want http://allthehairs.uk/?q=node/9&page=2

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 6:11 AM
Most of the time my Webroot tells me MTS is suspicious...

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 10:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MOOKIEBLAYLOCK
ETA , you can give the owner ( applesauce) a heads up here if you want http://allthehairs.uk/?q=node/9&page=2

I think I'll pass unless someone has an email or Twitter or something for applesauce.

Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Some of us who frequent MTS are suspicious...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat

Some of the old site links still work and occasionally come up as "unsafe" (not to the same degree as allthehairs, though), but if you make sure to use https://modthesims.info/ it seems fine.
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 12:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MOOKIEBLAYLOCK
Just speaking from my experiences , I've never had any trouble there at all. I go there multiple times every week. The owner is active, I recently left them a message about a few spam entries and they responded.

I went there lately and didn't get this kind of message until yesterday.
I won't take the risk though. I'll wait till the site is fixed.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 3:33 PM
Getting the same message on Vivaldi browser:
"The site ahead contains malware
Attackers currently on allthehairs.uk might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or delete your information (for example, photos, passwords, messages, and credit cards). Learn more"

I hope it's solved soon since allthehairs is such an important site nowadays.
Inventor
#11 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 11:59 PM
I left a comment over there ( it's awaiting moderation) including a link to this thread. I'll update here after they respond.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 12:27 AM
The reason given for why google thinks it's an attack site is that it contains links to dangerous sites. So it could be that someone just added a link to a bad site there. It shouldn't be dangerous to just visit it unless you click on one of the links, so it should probably be fine to just go there to alert the site owners.
Scholar
#13 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 1:50 PM
Hmm, I was on All the Hairs a few weeks ago and it was fine, but I've just tried today and got a big red warning, similar to simsample's screenshot. That would put me off a bit, although I don't know much about malware/viruses/safety in general.

I have to admit that I did have the Simfileshare links issue recently, and I just bypassed it/told Avast it was safe, because I was feeling a bit impatient, and had been on there a lot with no problems, every day for a few days/weeks beforehand. I don't know if that's actually safe or if it was silly of me.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 8:43 PM Last edited by Annaminna : 1st Nov 2020 at 5:39 PM.
Got Firefox update today and this site is now in their blacklist,

Oh, it works on MS Edge because I don't have any security apps there.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 3:52 PM
For various reasons, I usually use Opera to visit Sims-related sites. Opera's built-in security never raised an alarm so I didn't know there was a problem until I read this thread.

It would help a lot if Firefox, Chrome, etc. would identify the bad site link instead of going all "OMG allthehairs WHOLE WEBSITE is a malware1!1!1!"
Scholar
#16 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 2:14 PM
Hi everyone, sorry to ask a stupid question, but here goes.

I'm trying to sort out my downloads at the moment, replacing hairs and things, and I'm struggling a bit, it's taking me hours to find the textures I like (pooklet, realistic/a bit shiny). I've tried googling and searching websites/simblrs etc. but it's very slow.

Does anyone know if there is a safe way to still use the 'All the Hairs' website without risking harming my computer?

I have free versions of Avast and Malwarebytes, perhaps if they had a kind of feature that I could pay for, I'd be prepared to pay and then just binge the site for a bit safely, is that what 'sandbox' means, or am I mixed up?

Or is this not possible, and I just have to wait until the website is fixed/safe again?
Thanks
Forum Resident
#17 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 2:40 PM
Allthehairs was compromised a year ago. Not just the site but all of the download files as well.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 2:52 PM
I thought they didn't have any downloads- just links to other sites...?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 4:09 PM
It is still mostly safe to use allthehairs website. Though I need to use MS Edge for this because it has no uBlock or other oversecured apps. Tendency seems to be that all sites what are still http and not https will be blocked by bigger search engines. It doesn't mean that they are harmful, just not secure by modern standards. Even if you click on any malicious link Avast free version will block it, so no harm will be done and I trust Avast for years.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 4:20 PM
Quote:
I think I'll pass unless someone has an email or Twitter or something for applesauce.

Some of us who frequent MTS are suspicious...

Did you have to tell our secret!

Now I'll have to go hide in a garage or something.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#21 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pianogrinder
Allthehairs was compromised a year ago. Not just the site but all of the download files as well.

Source?
Alchemist
#22 Old 16th Dec 2020 at 6:35 PM
I don't know if allthehairs is compromised or not, but I have used it in within the past year with no issues other than the warning page. Also, I'm not aware of any downloads hosted on the site--usually links to other sites are provided, or a direct link to the download, if the site is no longer working.

Personally, that's why I still use it, despite the warning. Because it's just linking me to the download. I make sure to have my antivirus and firewall on, as well as an adblocker, and I'm usually fine. You can also scan any files you download. Otherwise, @Dizzy-noodles, you can just manually do your search. Note creators who do pooklet/shiny textures and then use an advanced search, like google's, to search their website/tumblr/LJ or whatever for the specific hair you are looking for.

https://mybsims.forosactivos.net/forum is one such place; Betts and Martini hairs can usually be found there. Providing the link because the address did change a while back, and even allthehairs sometimes has an old link up. Hypnotized Sims is also a good place to look. Tbh, I usually go to for Pooklet/remi/Lilith hairs; I've used Io, RentedSpace, Lunacress, and Victoria Sims, which actually posts hairs in a bunch of different actions. I feel like there's another creator that did/does that, but for the life of me, I can't remember who it is. Oh and there's also Trapping, though those downloads may not be easy to search.

Anyway, as someone who uses a blend of maxis match and pooklet, I also use hairs by Trotylka, Amidala Sims, Berrynooboos, especially for unnaturals, and Peppermint-Ginger, to name a few more, but these are more remi and zeusar textures, so hairs from them may not be as shiny as you like, though they should match a little in terms of color. You might want to consider them if you can't find another retexture.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Theorist
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 11:20 AM
@Phantomknight
Mrs Mquve?
Alchemist
#24 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 5:00 PM
@Essa, yes I think so!

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Field Researcher
#25 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 5:15 PM
I think the problem with allthehairs is not its safety, in fact I visit it very often as it is a must visit site when we're looking for any kind of haircut, due to its big database, the problem lies in the fact they are still using the old http protocol without any kind of secure socket layer, (https) unneeded due to site's nature, it's a simple database, not a marketplace or bank's page, it does not need SSL, but that lack drives modern browsers/Av utilities to give a false positive about the site.

From now on I'm just a lurker, the sad truth about the Orwellian status of the sims community is not "off-topic" neither is "politics".
Check part of my current (non sims) creations at my J.R.'s Angels page