Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#27626 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 8:18 PM
Not really. SimAntics in performing a node in a BHAV can return values true, false and error. When it returns an error, that's the TCE object error dialog. However, when it doesn't catch an error, but instead continues to attempt to carry on, sometimes a crucial variable gets overwritten or other undefined behavior happens, and the application simply quits unexpectedly (crashes) - without the TCE dialog, but with an unhandled exception log.

Of course, crashes can also happen if the game runs out of memory for example, in which case yes - it's a computer thing rather than the game thing.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27627 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 9:56 PM
If the game crashes and it's not a hardware problem, it definitely doesn't have anything to do with SimAntics. In that case it's a problem with the actual code the game is written in, which we don't have access to and therefore can't really know much about.
Alchemist
#27628 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Am I right in thinking that if the game crashes with the testingcheats on, and there's no real error message, just "the Sims 2 has crashed," that the problem is more likely to be a computer problem than a game problem?

If you are referring to the "This Application has Crashed" message, in my experience, no. I only seem to get this when I am testing my own creations and have really messed something up in a package. It's obviously that because I am testing in a totally clean game environment and taking out my messed up CC or fixing it solves the problem instantly. There is an error log for this, btw, a Sims2Exception text file in Logs which I think is what Topp is referring to.
Scholar
#27629 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 10:21 AM
I've also seen "This Application Has Crashed" when I've had industrial-grade corruption in the game - basically anything that can affect the integrity of the core game files can cause that error.
Mad Poster
#27630 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 7:27 PM
I've had This Application Has Crashed for overheating. Usually about five seconds before the whole computer goes urp!

Well, it's been getting silly-hot. It's not supposed to get hot here! And with the wildfire smoke (we're significantly far from Bootleg, but we're still getting quite too much of it), we can't cool off properly at night by opening all the windows and doors.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Scholar
#27631 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 8:39 PM
I most commonly get "This application has crashed and will now terminate" when I'm trying to close the game. Erm . . . If the only thing you can do is the thing I just told you to do anyway, how exactly have you crashed? It starts up again just fine the next time. I guess overheating might be the most likely culprit in this scenario, although I'm not convinced - usually with overheating the computer just shuts itself off without any kind of message.

@Sunbee - Hope those fires are under control very quickly and don't get any closer to you, and that that infernal heat dome breaks up soon. I was under a Siberian cold dome for weeks a few winters back, but a heat dome would be far worse. It's easier to warm a place than cool it, I think.
Mad Poster
#27632 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 8:40 PM
I hardly ever get "This Application Has Crashed" but I got it about two hours ago. I wasn't actively playing but had the game running in the background while I did other things. It was in neighbourhood view, and every now and then I'd switch to it and watch the cars driving round Veronaville. (I can find that oddly relaxing.) Then, about two hours ago, when I switched to it, it crashed. I think it must have caught something from this thread!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27633 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I hardly ever get "This Application Has Crashed" but I got it about two hours ago. I wasn't actively playing but had the game running in the background while I did other things. It was in neighbourhood view, and every now and then I'd switch to it and watch the cars driving round Veronaville. (I can find that oddly relaxing.) Then, about two hours ago, when I switched to it, it crashed. I think it must have caught something from this thread!

Your game realised it was missing out on being a drama queen Andrew.

Coral Bay crashes for any and every reason but not always crash>message. Yesterday it just sat loading a lot telling me it was running... lies all lies.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#27634 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 3:12 PM
I've uploaded an image, in case I can't make any sense with words

Isabel's father was half alien (born from abduction) which means she's 1/4 alien - but she did not inherit any alien trait.
She married a townie, and had a child which looked as expected.
Simyears later they had another child (yes, the husband is the father) but this new baby has alien skin.

It's all fine for my storyline (baby Berta inherited it from grandpa Zacarías, end of the story) but I thought TS2 genetics did not work that way. Or do they?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#27635 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 4:09 PM
Did Isabel's father have a custom skin?

Some custom skins were made with a numerical value of 0, like the alien skin. A 0-value skin is dominant over a geneticized skin designed to work with the skintone ranges system. When two 0-value skins meet in the same genome, they duke it out like two dominant traits in hair or eyes. The winner is expressed, and the loser lurks like a recessive. If Isabel's father had a 0-value custom skin, then, this is a predictable outcome.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#27636 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Did Isabel's father have a custom skin?

Some custom skins were made with a numerical value of 0, like the alien skin. A 0-value skin is dominant over a geneticized skin designed to work with the skintone ranges system. When two 0-value skins meet in the same genome, they duke it out like two dominant traits in hair or eyes. The winner is expressed, and the loser lurks like a recessive. If Isabel's father had a 0-value custom skin, then, this is a predictable outcome.

No. I'm not using any non-genetized skis atm.
Only some natural-colored ones (genetized & townified) for some tones in between the maxis default ones.

So it's not normal behaviour.
OK, I'll watch out for more glitchy events just in case, but I've been trying new mods (I'm always trying new mods) and it might just be some kind of hiccup. Or the beginning of the end, you never know XD
Mad Poster
#27637 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 7:10 PM
Sims have two skintone genes, just like they have two hair or eye color genes. Normally they are both identical, if all of the sim's ancestors had geneticized skintones (i.e. any skintone with a genetic value, including S1/S2/S3/S4), however, it's possible to have the alien skintone in one gene and a geneticized skintone in another gene. If one parent has two copies of the alien skintone, the baby always gets the alien skintone in the dominant gene and the other parent's skintone in the recessive gene. If a parent has one copy of the alien skintone, they have a 50% chance to pass it on just as with other genetics and if the baby inherits it the two skintones they got from their parents get placed in their genes in a random order, so it's possible for them to have the alien skintone recessively.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27638 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 7:54 PM
I agree with Kestrellyn, also if you turn on testingcheats and use the cheat:
simdna Isabel
when on her lot, you can see her genetics, and if you do the same for the rest of the family too it should make sense.
Scholar
#27639 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 8:51 PM
That's all very interesting, thank you so much!!!

There is so much still to learn, I'll never grow bored of this game <3
Scholar
#27640 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 8:53 PM
I thought all babies born to the same parents had the same skin? Every time I've played Johnny and Ophelia, they've either had all green-skinned kids or all human-skinned kids, never a mixture.
Scholar
#27641 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
I thought all babies born to the same parents had the same skin? Every time I've played Johnny and Ophelia, they've either had all green-skinned kids or all human-skinned kids, never a mixture.

That must be the luck of the draw, because I'm playing them now, and one of their sons has Johnny's skin and one has Ophelia's. They both have red hair, though! I think that comes from PT #9's genes.
Mad Poster
#27642 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 9:22 PM
I may very well be wrong about alien skin have a 0 value. If it's working with skintone ranges, then everything within the range is equally likely to express, so any family getting only one or the other parents' skintone would just be a statistical cluster.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#27643 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 9:43 PM
The alien skintone does not have a genetic value, and does not work like skintones with a genetic value. I don't know whether it is special or whether other non-geneticized skintones work the same way, though.
Mad Poster
#27644 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien

Maybe just random, maybe first born syndrome?

With Johnny and Ophelia their kids can be all kinds! I've had some with green skin, some with #4 and even a few with #1 they must have inherited from Jenny iirc (maybe even #2?). In my megahood they were kinda boring - both their children have green skin and blonde hair. Their son Tristan has green eyes and their daughter Taylor has alien eyes.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
#27645 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 6:22 PM
Is it a VBT or a sign of *drum roll* corruption if you have Sim(s) getting random memories? In another hood of mine, Phoebe Adams is determined to tell me that she's engaged/married by consistently getting the "Had an Affair" memory. I assure you that she is definitely not engaged or married. Every single Sim she romances she will get a memory of having an affair, lol. I can remove them easily but it'll be super annoying to have to do that every single time since she's a Romance sim, maybe I should just feed her to a cowplant..
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#27646 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Is it a VBT or a sign of *drum roll* corruption if you have Sim(s) getting random memories? In another hood of mine, Phoebe Adams is determined to tell me that she's engaged/married by consistently getting the "Had an Affair" memory. I assure you that she is definitely not engaged or married. Every single Sim she romances she will get a memory of having an affair, lol. I can remove them easily but it'll be super annoying to have to do that every single time since she's a Romance sim, maybe I should just feed her to a cowplant..

It can be a red flags for sims to get random memories, but to me, I think that your sim may have gotten random relationship flags assigned to a random sim. I've heard that it can happen sometimes, but I could be wrong. I would check her relationships in SimPE just to check that the game didn't assign her a random relationship.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Alchemist
#27647 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 7:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5

Maybe she is just that good at sneaking around and you didn't notice.

Yeah, I'd check her out in SimPE or send her on a permanent vacation (sometimes, I just don't bring them home).
Scholar
#27648 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
It can be a red flags for sims to get random memories, but to me, I think that your sim may have gotten random relationship flags assigned to a random sim. I've heard that it can happen sometimes, but I could be wrong. I would check her relationships in SimPE just to check that the game didn't assign her a random relationship.

It was indeed a random relationship flag! Wow, this has never happened to me before. Thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Yeah, I'd check her out in SimPE or send her on a permanent vacation (sometimes, I just don't bring them home).

Not a bad idea, but cowplants are more exciting!

Thank you both!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#27649 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 9:05 PM
Alien skins, and almost all custom skins, have a default of .0 - this will dominate the Maxis skins. What I learned is that they can exist as recessive.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#27650 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 4:27 AM
The random relationship flag thing is so annoying... but kinda glad the memories happen so it alerts the player to the fact there is one. I got two Sims in my game that for some reason love to every so often randomly get a flag saying they are engaged to some townie.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Page 1106 of 1338