Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 12:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night
Default Resource.cfg makes my game not load
When I have resource.cfg file my game won't load. At first I thought the launcher might have something to do with it so I have used steps to bypass the launcher, but the game either gets stuck on the logo screen, or if it gets past that stays at a black screen forever before eventually shutting down.

I have tried re-downloading my mods that I use but the same still happened. So I have since tried playing with my mods folder at all. The game worked like this so I understand that my computer is able to play the sims 3. I then tried taking out all my .package files so that the game was only left with the resource.cfg file in the mods/packages folder. The game once again wouldn't load. So I have tried re-downloading resource.cfg files and have the nointro.package mod to see whether it works. New resource files either don't work at all, or cause my game to not load.

I have tried re-installing, done what I can to patch my game (but I am very fluent in computer language so don't understand how to do the manual patch) and have also tried deleting cache files whenever I try something new.

As far as I know my games are up to date:
Base game: 1.22.9
Late Night: 6.4.5.010031
Ambitions: 4.0.87.006001

A help thread told me to post the contents of my resource.cfg, but in the instructions given on how to do that, it required windows application which I don't have. Sorry.

If anyone can help I would be grateful. I understand I can play without my CC but the game is a lot less interesting that way.
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 11:20 PM
You can open your resource.cfg with TextEdit, which is a part of MacOs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 5:02 AM Last edited by 9splat6 : 24th Jul 2011 at 6:08 AM.
thank you, this is the contents of my resource.cfg file:

Priority 500
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile */*.package
PackedFile */*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package
#4 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 9:46 AM
If you're patched higher than base game patch 1.12 and are using the new way of installing mods in Documents/Eectronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods then you should use a different resource.cfg. Instructions can be found here http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...3_Package_Files

If you want to continue using your specific resource.cfg set-up it should therefore look like this:
Code:
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Note that there is now "Packages" in front of each *.package line and after PackedFile.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 9:58 AM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 24th Jul 2011 at 2:16 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 3589542, 3589596
okay thank you very much

--------
I have used the framewokr installer, and tested it and the nointro.package worked fine. But then the moment I add any of my old sub-folders it doesnt work, and goes back to doing the whole load the logo screen forver before crashing. I tried taking out the file with my game mods in but this still didn't work. The rest of my .package content is to do with CAS, and as far as I know I didn't think this could become corrupted, and I haven't downloaded anything new since I last played with my .package content and it worked?

Or is it just that the CC makes it take longer to load and I am being impatient?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 2:15 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Verify Package Installation
    To help you further, please carefully read and follow the following:

First, double-check your setup: These instructions will take you through the things you should check yourself: Package Files Not Working. You may be able to fix the problem yourself using those instructions.

Still not working? Then we will need ALL of the following information.
    1. What is the version of your base game and any/all expansions?
      Windows OS: Game_Help:TS3_Patching_Find_Gameversionwiki
      Mac OSX: Game_Help:TS3_Patching_Find_Gameversion#info.plistwiki

Copy and paste the indicated line from the skuversion.txt or info.plist from the following locations, for ALL games you have (adapt as appropriate for OSX):
      C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
      C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 <EP or SP name>\Game\Bin
      Quote:
      BG: GameVersion =
      WA: GameVersion =
      HEL: GameVersion =
      AMB: GameVersion =
      FL: GameVersion =
      LN: GameVersion =
      OL: GameVersion =
      GEN: GameVersion =
    2. Take THREE screenshots... one each of the following locations:
      • Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
      • Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\
      • Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages

... and attach them to a post on this thread. Click Go Advanced and then Manage Attachments. Or if it says the pictures are too big, you can upload them to modyourpanties.com and copy and paste the links.
      We have a guide on how to take screenshots if you need assistance: Game_Help:Screenshotswiki.

Make sure you set your folder view to Details mode, that you have file types showing (.package, .cfg, etc. on the ends of the filenames) and expand out the Name and Type columns so they're fully readable!
    3. Open your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\resource.cfg file in Notepad and copy-paste its contents here.
    4. Right-click on Resource.cfg and check Properties. Is the file name Resource.cfg or Resource.cfg.txt or something else?

How deep is your "sub-foldering"?
Post pics and maybe someone see something you missed after staring at it too long, yanno the trees and forest thingy.

And whose Framework Installer? Or do you mean the FrameworkSetup.zip file with the 2 test files?

ps: please use EDIT to add more info when no one has responded on thread, thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 4:31 PM
Okay, I have looked at the help link you gave me but I have had a look at that and tried to fix things from there but to no success. (And yep sorry, will add to an edit in future)

All my games are saved in appliactions folder.

BG: version: 1.22.9.011002
AMB: version: 4.0.87.006001
LN: version: 6.4.5.010031

Picture 2: (I assume this is how you work it from modyourpanties.com) http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...24105936Picture 2.png

Picture 3: http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...24112336Picture 3.png

resource.cfg: Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 1000
PackedFile Overrides/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Test/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Probation/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

It is only a resource.cfg, no .txt or anything.
And yes, I used the framework.zip in the thread that tells you how to install .package files.

Thank you
Screenshots
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 5:15 PM
resource.cfg
I'm kinda confused. Does the game with resource.cfg file with only the 2 test file loads or didn't load (ie with those that are in the FrameworkSetup.zip only and nothing else)?
Do you have Sims3Pack content, too?

subfoldering
You didn't answer how many sub-folders you have under /Packages. The .cfg file only read up to the 4th level deep.

gameversions
The games are not up-to-date. Use files from Game Help:TS3 Patching:Patch_Download/CurrentOSXwiki to update AMB & LN.

finding problem content
If you can figure out how to use Mono (see sticky on using TS3 Tools), you can use Dashboard to find the problem content: Game Help:GCCTSU3 ModsUseDashboardwiki.
Otherwise, use the other link to use the 50% method by methodically halving your content Game Help:TS3 Finding Problem Custom Contentwiki.

not having non-essential files, housekeeping
I would suggest not having any other non-package files under the Packages folder. You can store them up elsewhere. I saw .jpg and .backup in there. They might be ignored by the game, but still...

And, if you're not ever going to contact EA about the crashes, you can remove all the xcpt* files in there, too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 6:59 PM
Yes, the game with resource.cfg and only the two test files DID load, but then if I added just one extra thing it didn't. The only subfolders I have are ones containing the .package file. For example, packages/rose_sims3_hair004.rarFolder/rose_sims3_hair004.package. So it only subfolders the once. I at first tried having more subfolders such as packages/hair/rosehair etc..., but then the game did not recognise the resource.cfg at all, so I took the extra sub foldering away.

Okay that you for the update link. With having non-essential files, are they needed for the game to have a thumbnail picture in CAS for example?

With updating the patchs...do I just download the needed files in the link that you gave me and then unzip them?

-------------

Isn't my latenight version already up to date?
#10 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 10:28 AM
There are several things here:
1) Anything that is not ending in .package should be moved out of the Packages folder.
2) Following this, if you put everything you downloaded and unzipped into your Packages folder unchanged as one subfolder, it might be that a different resource.cfg is now within those subfolders. I know that Peggy, for example, provides a resource.cfg with all of their individual hairs and these are then within the zipped folder. Remove these, too.
3) Others may have a different experience but for me having a less complicated resorce.cfg did affect loading times. Therefore the one that is provided here at MTS did make loading last longer and the one that I had attached previously made loading faster.
4) In your case my guess is however some file(s) in your Packages folder that are preventing your game from loading. It does look a bit messy
5) Have you also checked whether there are really no remnants of the old way of installing CC in your application files?
6) I noticed that there are only 8 GB of free space on your hard drive. How big is it in the first place? 8GB is not very much.
7) Patching manually is rather easy. You download the files and double-click them. This will create a new file (I guess it's a Sim File with the green plumbbob). This you will have to double-click, too, and if you installed your games correctly it will then automatically find the application to be patched and start the patching process.
8) What are your system specifications btw? I.e. Mac model, CPU, graphics processor, RAM, HD space, and MacOs version? You can find this under the apple menu in "About this Mac".
In the Arena
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 10:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 9splat6
...Isn't my latenight version already up to date?
Indeed, I forgot where I am for a moment. Was looking at the last row in the Patch Table and those versions are only for Windows. So, yes, your LN is already at the current patch. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote: Originally posted by babele44
... it might be that a different resource.cfg is now within those subfolders. I know that Peggy, for example, provides a resource.cfg with all of their individual hairs and these are then within the zipped folder.
This is a very good point. And why is she still doing this and causing problems for the unsuspecting?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 3:34 PM Last edited by 9splat6 : 25th Jul 2011 at 7:34 PM.
Okay phew, thank you for all of this. I will try it out now and get back to you on how it has all worked out

here is my hardware overview (with me assuming that all of the mentioned above is on it :S ):

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.38f5
Serial Number (system): 45928PSU9GU
Hardware UUID: A71BF585-94B9-5F58-B7A8-8AEED3E2EC3F
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

-----------

I can't patch my game with the manual one you have given me. :S It donwloaded just fine and everything, and when I click on it it opens up all the correct options and tells me to select The Sims3 Ambitions.app. So I go to my applications folder and it is there but it is grayed out and won't let me select that particular game. So i have tried selecting both the base game and latenight but neither of these work as of course the patch I donwloaded is for ambitions.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 2:41 AM
What is your OSX version?

You extracted the downloaded Amb patch file first and then double-clicked on the extracted file?
Can you right click on the Sims 3 Ambitions.app from Applications, right-click and "Show Original", then on the new folder that pop-up, right click again to "Show Package Contents"? Are the files there intact? If you compare the contents with LN's folders do they look similar or is anything out of place?

With Amb left unpatched, the game still won't load with resource.cfg and your CC?

With the new 1.24 just released, have you updated or still on 1.22?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 10:22 AM
My OS X version is 10.5.8.

Yup I have followed your instructions to try patching Amb but in the box that comes up teling you to find ambitions.app, ambitions was grayed out. I have since organised by mods folder so now all i have is sub folders such as hair, clothes etc. and in the folders I only have .package files. This has allowed my game to now work again But I get the problem (which I have had ever since I first used CC) where my sims with CC sometimes go bald, when that happens, I either take the CC out, and then put it back in, or just re-load the game, and that normally fixes the problem.

I haven't updated with the new patch yet because it gives me the option to update, so I click yes, but nothing happens, it gives up before it has even starting loading any of its contents, but this might just be with the very bad internet at the moment as power where I am is very tempormental because of an explosion.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#15 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 3:36 PM
OS X 10.5.8 may have outdated graphics drivers, compared to OS X 10.6.8.
You didn't copy the Graphics portion of the System Info...

Launcher may appear to stall as the patch file is huge. You may want to try the direct download tgz patch files I linked above - they have been updated to include the 1.24 links.

The Bald Sims is a common issue for Macs - no known cure yet.

Hope no one was seriously hurt in that explosion and that your 'net linkup is reinstated and stabilized soon...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 9:59 AM
here is the graphics bit:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: Display
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0866
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3384
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

Okay thank you very much
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 6th Aug 2011 at 9:56 PM
Where can I get the resource.cfg file for the latest game I have Town Life the old one is causing none of the skill books to not show up as well as all the classes are gone I removed all mod packages and it is working! Some mods like the talent book of skills needs to be updated I think all the mods needs to be updated! TY