Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2020 at 5:36 PM Last edited by Lyralei : 4th May 2020 at 10:25 AM.
Default [Script Mod] Mechanical Stitching Machine by Antique Artifacts - ALPHA
Hi guys! 

I finally got the code of the sewing table to be "presentable" for ALPHA testers! I know a lot of people were exciting to give it a try, and I obviously can't find all the bugs myself, so here it goes!

What does this do?
We all remember the good TS2 days, where we'd have lovely hobby objects, like the sewing table! To me, the sewing table was my favourite hobby skill. Now, TS3 is my favourite game to play and I couldn't help but make this an actual functional thing!

The Sewing table is actually quite easy to use! Let's check out this image:

We've got:
  • Sew an Object: Creates a specific object that your sim can sew!
  • Practise Sewing: Won't create an object, but will simply loop forever! (unless your sim is in a bad mood, or you specifically cancel it )
  • Restock fabric: Currently this is super bugged, but usable! Thing however is currently is that projects won't consume fabrics yet. That's because I need to make a few more fabric types )
  • Open Workbench: Same as the invention workbench! it has its own inventory! :D Though, currently it only allows fabric since that seemed more reasonable. 
The sewing table also comes with a skill! The Sewing skill! The higher your sim is in the sewing skill, the more objects you'll unlock!
  • Level 0 To 2: Easy sewable projects
  • Level 3 to 5: Medium sewable projects
  • Level 6 to 8: Hard sewable projects
  • Level 9 to 10: Super hard sewable projects
  • (Special - being a supernatural sim) Level 9 to 10: Super hard sewable that require a bit of magic ;D
Now, the skill is super basic. Currently there's nothing in the dictionary, no icon or even the proper name of it. That's really because I still need to set up the correct localisation for it, but hopefully in the BETA version that should be working!
How can I help?
To put it mildly, test the everliving hell out of it! :p Turn it upside down, have multiple sims use it, switch from save to save, etc. Anything you can think of that could break it, i'd love to know!
If you got Nraas ErrorTrap (see: https://www.nraas.net/community/ErrorTrap) and the Sewing table does somehow error trap anything, please do give me the XML that Nraas creates!
They're in: C:\Users\[YourNAME]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, and called: ScriptError_YOURCOMPUTERNAME__DATE__TIME__F2751C2D. These error files themselves don't give me any private details about your computer, so no need to be afraid! It really will help me out to code the bug out, however!

If you did find your sim upside down while sewing or something weird is going on, then you can always report it in this thread! Hence why I made it :D

Things I'm aware of
  • The skill looks empty and the 'journal' is too
  • The fabric pieces are BIG, and I mean BIG :p
  • A fabric piece will be created once I stop the project (and want to continue later), but if I drag it, the game hates it. (AKA please, don't drag the fabric!!)
  • Restock is bugged AF.
  • Sometimes it creates 2 fabric props (although i'm not sure whether that's always or sometimes)
  • The animations are a bit crappy. I'm not exactly an animation wizard :p
  • EDIT: The custom objects I've shown on my tumblr aren't available yet for this version, but will be in the release or even BETA!
I remember you talking about making CC a sewable
I'll add a tutorial on this below this post! Which I'll get to eventually :p
That's it! I will make sure to let you guys know if the BETA will be released! Of course, any suggestions, feedback, is totally fine! In fact, I'd love to know!
(If you prefer Tumblr, then you can also contact/reply/etc me here: https://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.com/)
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  LYRALEI_GREENPLUMBBOBLOVER_SewingTable_ALPHA.zip (1.42 MB, 149 downloads)
Description: ALPHA VERSION of the sewing table
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#2 Old 3rd May 2020 at 5:37 PM Last edited by Lyralei : 21st Jun 2020 at 10:45 AM.
Default How to add yours (or someone else's) CC for the sewing table
Here's a quick and dirty tutorial that should make it for anyone possible to make it compatible with my sewing table! I've worked on a custom importer that checks the group id of your object and from there, knows whether it's a hard, easy or medium project. I've also overhauled the way of getting settings for an object, so you can always create your own XML file without needing to edit any existing one (this is the issue with a lot of other script mods that have similar functionality).

Without further ado, let's get to it!

The groupId and their difficulties:
Easy: 0x1001A575
Medium: 0x74031C5A
Hard: 0x86C8D040
Hardest: 0x74322790
MagicHardest: 0x21BC2F49

What you'll need:
- S3PE - Notepad or even Notepad++ (any text editor really, just don't use word please :p)

The workflow
This workflow assumes that you've completed your object and have packaged it. Therefore, the current state should be pretty much 'releasable'. You can still, of course, go in and edit all sorts of things later on (Think, meshes, catalogues, textures, etc). But just so there aren't any dangers the OBJD file changes. 

1. Open the package in S3PE 2. Find the 'OBJD' inside your package.
3. Double click on the OBJD. There should be a modal here now.
4. The GroupID is where we define the difficulty, so please check out the section 'The groupId and their difficulties:'. I'll change mine to 0x74031C5A (the medium level). 

5. paste in the group id in the 'Group' input field, Then Copy RK (We need the RK in a bit, hence why we're copying it ) and then click OK. 
6. Paste the RK somewhere in a notepad, we'll need this in a second
7. On the top, go to 'Resource > Add..'

8. Make sure that the Type is as stated in the image, and the group for the XML is 0x7354C1FC. The code actually filters the XMLs based on a static groupID, which is 0x7354C1FC (This GroupID should NEVER include the sewing project's difficulty level! You should ALWAYS define that one in the OBJD. Currently we're working on an XML resource type)
9. To prevent people overwriting their own XML files, let's grab that RK that we pasted in notepad

10. That last bit, that's the instance ID. Let's copy that into the Instance field. If you want, you can also name it! But that's all up to you (As long as you DON'T click FNV64 when you do) Then click OK.
11. If we highlight the XML we just created and right-click on it, we should see all the way down the button 'notepad'

12. Now notepad will open!  It's a white page, but we'll change that! Currently we're creating the 'settings' that your object needs. We'll get into that a bit more right now:

Each entry looks like this:

Code:
----
0x319E4F1D-0x74031C5A-0x63D747A952981432
Knitted, Cotton, Denim, Satin, Leather, Synthetic
isMagicProject=False
isDiscoverableOnly=False
amountOfFabricToRemove=10
  • the ' ---- ' Tells the code, 'there's a new entry upcoming!'. This is even the case when it's your very first object in the XML list.
  • The ' 0x319E4F1D-0x74031C5A-0x51D747A9529819C8 ' is the ResourceKey. (or the term RK that we've used in this tutorial). ALWAYS change this to the OBJD key you just copy/pasted. Else you'll overwrite someone else's stuff.
  • The 'Knitted, Cotton, Denim, Satin, Leather, Denim, Synthetic' bits are ALL the fabrics that exists within this mod. In our settings, we basically say ' use this and that fabric piece!'. In that case, you might only want 'Cotton' and 'Satin', 
  • The 'isMagicProject' basically means 'do you want your pro0ject only to be craftable by witches, imaginary friends, genies and fairies?' (keep in mind that this will also turn it into a level 9 piece).True = yes, False = no.
  • The 'isDiscoverableOnly' this will be removed later, so this doesn't do much currently. 
  • The 'amountofFabricToRemove' means PER fabric piece, how many should we remove? So say, you got 'Knitted' and 'Cotton' set in your settings, and the amount to remove is 2, it will remove 2 Knitted pieces and 2 Cotton piece. 
13. In my case, we're working with a teddy bear!  Copy paste the settings I posted above into the notepad. Then tweak the settings to your liking.

14. Here are my settings for the bear:
Code:
----
0x319E4F1D-0x74031C5A-0x63D747A952981432
Knitted, Cotton, Denim
isMagicProject=False
isDiscoverableOnly=False
amountOfFabricToRemove=2
Easy peasy right?!  All we need to fix now is the ResourceKey! (RK)

15. Get the notepad with the RK on it. 
16. Copy paste that line and replace it with the default one.

17. So now that line should be the same resourceKey as your OBJD!

That's all! I'd say, test it and see what happens!  I included some 'Creator debugging' message errors in case you did something wrong, though you can always ask in the comments/here what you did wrong. 

But what do I do if I have 2 or more?!

You basically do exactly the same steps as you'd do with a single one! One thing though is that the XML might look like something like:

Code:
----
0x319E4F1D-0x00000000-0x0000000000000E10
Cotton, Denim
isMagicProject=False
isDiscoverableOnly=False
amountOfFabricToRemove=2
----
0x319E4F1D-0x00000000-0x0000000000000F64
Knitted, Synthetic
isMagicProject=False
isDiscoverableOnly=False
amountOfFabricToRemove=4
----
0x319E4F1D-0x00000000-0x0000000000000541
Cotton
isMagicProject=False
isDiscoverableOnly=False
amountOfFabricToRemove=2
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd May 2020 at 6:09 PM
Wow I want to test it
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 5th May 2020 at 12:20 PM
ok it worked just fine for me my game is version 1.67 , I've nraas errortrap everything is good no reports,the restock is working well for me and I've tried it in a new game & a saved one ,with different Sims
can't wait for the final product :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th May 2020 at 2:38 PM
This looks amazing!!!!! Cannot wait to have this. Cannot test though as cannot play on this computer ATM.
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#6 Old 5th May 2020 at 7:22 PM
Hey! I have done a bit of testing and so far have found a couple of bugs (well kinda)
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
A fabric piece will be created once I stop the project (and want to continue later), but if I drag it, the game hates it. (AKA please, don't drag the fabric!!)

I actually found the opposite - when i stopped making a creation, the piece of fabric showed up on the table, but my sim wasn't able to continue on with the project while the fabric was still there. She was getting the "I can't route there" response. And once I dragged the fabric to the floor, and tried to continue again, she was able to sit and and continue it, and the fabric disappeared.

This actually happens when the sim was standing away from the table - if she hadn't gotten up after stopping, she could continue sewing when the fabric was still on the table, and it would disappear and the sewing would ensue. But when she was sitting down it also seemed to work when i did drag the fabric away.

screenshots:

Another thing that happened (though I couldn't recreate this, so maybe it's not really a bug, and more just a sim moment) was when my sim stopped sewing to go prepare some food, she was walking to the fridge and got stuck doing the animation, and so then would walk a little bit, sew in the air, walk a bit etc...
I cancelled the action and she just kept doing the same thing, and also when trying to do other interactions. Resetting it fixed it though, and like i said I couldn't actually recreate the issue, whether i stopped the interaction to go do something else, or if she stopped autonamously to get food when she was hungry, so it might very well be one of those "I'm holding an invisible glass forever now" type situations. But i thought I'd mention this in case you or someone else experiences it And here is a fun picture of the incident:

But it's so cool! And I know I've said this so many times but I'm really excited for this and can't wait to see what is coming next
Screenshots
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th May 2020 at 10:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
Hey! I have done a bit of testing and so far have found a couple of bugs (well kinda)

I actually found the opposite - when i stopped making a creation, the piece of fabric showed up on the table, but my sim wasn't able to continue on with the project while the fabric was still there. She was getting the "I can't route there" response. And once I dragged the fabric to the floor, and tried to continue again, she was able to sit and and continue it, and the fabric disappeared.

This actually happens when the sim was standing away from the table - if she hadn't gotten up after stopping, she could continue sewing when the fabric was still on the table, and it would disappear and the sewing would ensue. But when she was sitting down it also seemed to work when i did drag the fabric away.

screenshots:

Another thing that happened (though I couldn't recreate this, so maybe it's not really a bug, and more just a sim moment) was when my sim stopped sewing to go prepare some food, she was walking to the fridge and got stuck doing the animation, and so then would walk a little bit, sew in the air, walk a bit etc...
I cancelled the action and she just kept doing the same thing, and also when trying to do other interactions. Resetting it fixed it though, and like i said I couldn't actually recreate the issue, whether i stopped the interaction to go do something else, or if she stopped autonamously to get food when she was hungry, so it might very well be one of those "I'm holding an invisible glass forever now" type situations. But i thought I'd mention this in case you or someone else experiences it And here is a fun picture of the incident:

But it's so cool! And I know I've said this so many times but I'm really excited for this and can't wait to see what is coming next
Hiya! Thanks for testing, I really really appreciate it! These are some really good bugs I can look into

Fabric piece:
I'll have to recreate the fabric piece making it so the sim can't work on things. Since in my game it *seemed* to be working. But I think the difference is probably that your sewing table is in a corner, against a wall, but I've always tested it with it being out in the open . So will check that one! The fabric disappearing though is part of the code, so it's technically doing what the script/object is telling it to do :p

Animation: 
I actually had this bug at some point myself, but this was before the whole close to release. The sim would literally walk and sit in a position like this. I *think* I might know why it's happening, where you canceled the action too early. I'll try recreating it myself  But I also know how to fix this one, so I'll look into that!

Thanks again for helping out! The BETA or even the release will come with somewhat more exciting features, but that might take a bit (because, well, real life :p) 
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th May 2020 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rosy-daylight
ok it worked just fine for me my game is version 1.67 , I've nraas errortrap everything is good no reports,the restock is working well for me and I've tried it in a new game & a saved one ,with different Sims
can't wait for the final product :lovestruc
That's good to hear! Especially on the new and saved game one! I, too didn't experience too many issue with it either  

Thanks again for your help! I very much appreciate it!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th May 2020 at 3:01 PM
where is the sewing machine, I can't find it
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 17th May 2020 at 3:26 PM
Solved anyway for me it works well
Field Researcher
#11 Old 18th May 2020 at 6:18 PM
I've not had any problems with it till today, when Valentin was making an object on the sewing machine when his wife went to kiss him and his phone rang at the same time. He then got himself stuck in a loop where he'd stand up to answer the phone, 'sit' back on the chair (but mostly off the chair), stand back up, sit back down... His action queue said "answer phone, be kissed, answer phone", nothing about what he was actually doing. Resetting him fixed it. I'm guessing if he'd been practising sewing instead of actually making something he wouldn't have glitched out?

In general, I've only had teens and older in the households where I've placed the sewing machine. They've all been able to autonomously practice sewing, including party guests.

Screenshots
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Jun 2020 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucyBorgia
I've not had any problems with it till today, when Valentin was making an object on the sewing machine when his wife went to kiss him and his phone rang at the same time. He then got himself stuck in a loop where he'd stand up to answer the phone, 'sit' back on the chair (but mostly off the chair), stand back up, sit back down... His action queue said "answer phone, be kissed, answer phone", nothing about what he was actually doing. Resetting him fixed it. I'm guessing if he'd been practising sewing instead of actually making something he wouldn't have glitched out?

In general, I've only had teens and older in the households where I've placed the sewing machine. They've all been able to autonomously practice sewing, including party guests.

Woops! Sorry for missing this one @LucyBorgia !

Thanks for testing it! I really apprectiate it! I think, including the bug Zoe22 also had, it might be that i'm missing an exit reason. oops! Currently I've got them set for Mood failure and user cancelled. But of course, the game can also cancel things, which I honestly forgot about... So this bug will be gone in the BETA version! (Which I'm still working hard on, it's just quite big!) 

Also nice to hear the autonomously practise is happening! Just wondering, do you guys think that it needs to be a tad lower or no?
Theorist
#13 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 11:25 PM
I had few time to test your amazing sewing machine. I looked at this during two sims days. It looks awesome and functional similar to chess table (boosts logic, increases fun and exploits same amenities of traits like Susie's genius that made her skill bar glow and fill quickly). I found huge fabric piece you mentioned in post. FIrst time before use it was restock two pieces of it.
One time Buck walk throw left tile of sewing machine. I guess that was hapened cause his usual path was trapped by ghost.
NPC Guests can use sewing machine autonomously with sewing practice action. Ghost that was summoned after spiritualistic session decided to practice sewing.
Sewing practice action appears on other sims even when sewing machine is busy. But then skips fast.
I'd like to see ability of sewing teddys. Does it has that one? Sims 2 had the same feature and Sims 3 has a great variety of them. It could be awesome to has ability to sew fabric toys too.
Guess that's all. Sorry for my unperfect English previously. Regards. Vic ^_^
Screenshots

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th Jun 2020 at 3:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
I had few time to test your amazing sewing machine. I looked at this during two sims days. It looks awesome and functional similar to chess table (boosts logic, increases fun and exploits same amenities of traits like Susie's genius that made her skill bar glow and fill quickly). I found huge fabric piece you mentioned in post. FIrst time before use it was restock two pieces of it.
One time Buck walk throw left tile of sewing machine. I guess that was hapened cause his usual path was trapped by ghost.
NPC Guests can use sewing machine autonomously with sewing practice action. Ghost that was summoned after spiritualistic session decided to practice sewing.
Sewing practice action appears on other sims even when sewing machine is busy. But then skips fast.
I'd like to see ability of sewing teddys. Does it has that one? Sims 2 had the same feature and Sims 3 has a great variety of them. It could be awesome to has ability to sew fabric toys too.
Guess that's all. Sorry for my unperfect English previously. Regards. Vic ^_^
Thank you for testing it!  And I totally understood what you were saying! As an ESL myself, I know how touch english can be

Anyways! Good to hear most of it is working! the people going through the sewing table is actually the bounding box :p I had initially cloned the chess table's mesh and hadn't altered the size since I was scared that would screw up the sim sitting at the table. But am on that one regarding fixing it!

The Teddy's are coming too! See: https://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.c...l-these-goodies

Now personally I'm debating on the 'good' and 'bad' objects. I think for the sake of everyone's sanity I might remove the fact that bad objects are generated on a fail. Reason to it is that I'd also have to make a 'bad' object for existing in-game objects and thinking about it already sounds super overwhelming.
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#15 Old 11th Jun 2020 at 3:18 PM
Heya @zoe22 and @LucyBorgia !

So I actually managed to recreate this issue where sims are still playing the sewing animation while walking when I deleted the duplicated fabric prop. I was wondering if you guys had deleted that as well and that also causing it?

In any way, it's actually 2 issues that create the same bug one being that the code is like "where the heck is the fabric prop??" and I have no idea why it thinks that continuing the animation, but I assume at that point it's starting to make confused noises.

And the second one being obviously that exit reason
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#16 Old 11th Jun 2020 at 3:28 PM
I'm pretty sure I hadn't deleted the prop when it happened to me but also I don't think I tested deleting it either
Theorist
#17 Old 12th Jun 2020 at 11:27 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 14th Jun 2020 at 12:19 AM.
Now personally I'm debating on the 'good' and 'bad' objects. I think for the sake of everyone's sanity I might remove the fact that bad objects are generated on a fail. Reason to it is that I'd also have to make a 'bad' object for existing in-game objects and thinking about it already sounds super overwhelming.

Hmm. I see two ways here. First - if object sewing fails, you can have no object in result at all. Second - you can use a scratched object state for failed. As those that appears after pets or werewolfs scratch it. Something like: you sew, sew and oops you torn fabric. I sometime fail in real life too so yep, those objects I fail to sew are look scratched. It would also be nice if it would have zero price and add a music appears when plumbing or objects broke up.
I think you don't need to give up from 'good' and 'bad' objects idea at all. 'good' and 'bad' states can make all sewing process more challenging and more TS3-like rather then TS4 where creation worth depends only from skill level and you always have success.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#18 Old 21st Jun 2020 at 10:46 AM
I've updated the thread in case anyone wanted a tutorial as to how to make their stuff appear with the sewing table! Do keep in mind that these settings are also perfectly fine on their own, so no one needs to specifically download the Sewing table mod in order for it to appear in-game
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Jun 2020 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
Hmm. I see two ways here. First - if object sewing fails, you can have no object in result at all. Second - you can use a scratched object state for failed. As those that appears after pets or werewolfs scratch it. Something like: you sew, sew and oops you torn fabric. I sometime fail in real life too so yep, those objects I fail to sew are look scratched. It would also be nice if it would have zero price and add a music appears when plumbing or objects broke up.
I think you don't need to give up from 'good' and 'bad' objects idea at all. 'good' and 'bad' states can make all sewing process more challenging and more TS3-like rather then TS4 where creation worth depends only from skill level and you always have success.
I'll look into this  Currently the version doesn't have it due to the code (and not sure how to approach it really yet, like would I use only one 'failed' object or specifically make them for all objects? Which will be a pain to do tbh). But we'll see!
Theorist
#20 Old 21st Jun 2020 at 1:36 PM
like would I use only one 'failed' object or specifically make them for all objects?

Oh wow. I didn't even think of it. Yeah. Torn fabric that appear after fail is genious idea!! I am sorry that i can't help with code. The only thing I can say is just waving hands and awwwww chill and wait. Yeah. I need to chill my blue face with blue hand