Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 12:39 AM Last edited by simdifference : 28th Mar 2021 at 4:30 PM.
Default Program/Tool (draft)- TS3 Face Template Creator
Hello everyone.As some may know,I love creating unique sims with the help of CC and sliders.However,there's a small problem in CAS-the face templates.What do I mean?I don't like the look of them anymore-sure they were cute back in the day,but as years go by,I started getting bored of my game,when everybody starts looking quite similar.Soon enough you have a whole town of the ''pudding face''.And honestly trying to replace all townies one-by-one,so that they don't look the way they do,will take a lot of time,which many don't have.

Also,not many simmers know that, but there's a trick you can use in CAS.If you right-click on a template,you get a 10% blend of your sliders with your current sim.This can create some interesting results,but when almost all templates are cartoony-what else can you do?
Behold,here is the program I designed:the TS3 Face Template Creator

What does it do?:It is a program which takes a .sim file,loads its facial sliders data and generates a custom in-game template based on your personal sliders and their range,giving you the ability to have less time-consuming choices when it comes to sim creation.
Here's the draft:
[IMG][/IMG]
Here's how it works:
Step 1:Save a sim in the bin or in a folder.Then open the program.
Enter the your Facial Slider Values that you currently have in your game.I thought about this,because many of us use Master Controller to expand the slider range and also not in the same settings.
For example in my game,I have set my facial sliders to 4.So I'll write the number ''4'' in the program.
If you haven't expanded the slider range,you can leave the box empty or write ‘‘1′‘.

Step 2:Select your .sim file.A window will open from your directory for you to choose the sim you want.
(I did not design this for .sims3packs,so it won't work for them)

Step 3:Select the template you wish to generate.
It gives you 4 buttons:one for the Face Template,one for the Eyes Template,one for the Nose and one for the Mouth.
These buttons are seperated because you may like one particular characteristic of your sim,and may want to recreate it on other sims too,so you don't have to use ''Sim Bases'' (like the ones simmers upload on tumblr) all the time.
Example 1:I like this Tom's nose,I wish I could give it to Alex and maybe change it a bit.After using the program,you enter your game,you click on your custom template and Bam!
Then you can play with your other sliders,like you'd normally would,and ta-da! unique sim!
Example 2:I like chiselled jawlines,I want my male sims to have more of them.You do the program stuff,go to your game,go to your family's men,go in CAS,click on your template,boom!

Step 4:Chose the valid gender and age of your sim,according to the sim you inserted in the program.

Step 5:Create Template.By clicking this button,your file directory will appear to choose where to save it.
In my opinion,it should be a .package file,that you'll put in your Mods folder.
If you have gotten bored of one or more templates,you can delete them from your mods folder or if you want to replace or add more,you do that as normal and probably delete your cache files.
In addition to that,these templates are not default replacements,so if you love a certain one-you won't lose it.
This can also give simmers the ability to share their custom templates on their platforms (mts,tumblr,etc.)instead of ''sim bases'',and create more interesting sims.

This is the general idea of the Program-Tool.I will not be making this,because I have no idea of in-game modding nor programming.I have designed 2 other programs,but I was able to, because they didn't require knowledge of in-game mechanics or meshing,so a usual programmer with a bit of help, can create them.This one requires knowledge that I don't have.
So anyone of you,that would like to make this come true,I give you the full rights and permission to take it and do whatever you want with it.You can even do it for TS4 or TS2.It would be nice if you want to mention my name somewhere (you don't have to if you don't want),but really all I care is to see the program come to life for TS3.

Let me know what you believe in the comments.Do you know anybody that could be interested?

Tumblr: simdifference https://simdifference.tumblr.com/
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 2:08 PM
What Wojtek said!

It's indeed a fun idea! but indeed I think Nraas already has an option to move noses (using your example :p) to a different sim  

now, I do feel like part of the problem is also just the mesh it has, so I've actually been working on a head replacement: https://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.c...oject-its-still

I do wanna say though that I've always liked the idea of having a bodyshop for ts3 :p but we'll see if that ever happens

However, i do feel like i'm probably not the best person to comment, since I do rarely make any sims. Gameplay wise I do have particular settings done to randomize the sliders, although I'd say with even those randomizations on, they do occasionally look pretty potato-y unfortunately...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
Alright, I think it's perfect for sim creators, but as far as avoiding the 'pudding face epidemics', there are many ways of avoiding this annoying phenomenon and making the process automatic without the need to manually move sims in. I described it here:
https://modthesims.info/showpost.ph...562&postcount=4
With SP You can fiddle with BlendMutationChance/BlendMutationTravel. More info here: https://www.nraas.net/community/Sto...n-FAQ-Pregnancy

I always disable immigration and emigration, but it's possible to have sims moving in who don't share the wicked pudding face. More info here:
https://www.nraas.net/community/Sto...FAQ-Immigration

Thank you!Oh yes,.And thanks for the extra info!I'll look into that.I love Neuroblazer's mod!These are indeed good suggestions for family-making.

I thought about this program,because I hate having to use the basic templates all the time and if you want to create townies from scratch,you don't want them looking similar or related to each other.Having quick templates,will save simmers a lot of time I think.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 3:06 PM Last edited by simdifference : 28th Mar 2021 at 8:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
What Wojtek said!

It's indeed a fun idea! but indeed I think Nraas already has an option to move noses (using your example :p) to a different sim  

now, I do feel like part of the problem is also just the mesh it has, so I've actually been working on a head replacement: https://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.c...oject-its-still

I do wanna say though that I've always liked the idea of having a bodyshop for ts3 :p but we'll see if that ever happens

However, i do feel like i'm probably not the best person to comment, since I do rarely make any sims. Gameplay wise I do have particular settings done to randomize the sliders, although I'd say with even those randomizations on, they do occasionally look pretty potato-y unfortunately...

Oh hello there!Yes I know about this project!It's a nice idea!I've been following you on tumblr for half a year and I had no idea it was you!Sometimes I use the Transfer genetics option in MC,but I believe it tranfers all the facial sliders to the target sim and not a particular area (ex.nose).
I wouldn't call it a ''Body Shop' (but sounds similar to it-sorry,maybe I didn't express myself properly,I'm bad at making public threads )',because it doesn't open any sim to work on-it just takes the data of an existing sim,and lets you choose,the part of the sim that you want to use as a template by creating a .package file that you can put in your mods folder,just like you would with a hairstyle.My program here doesn't replace anything,so there should be no worries about losing a template that you may like,it just adds to the existing ones.I hope I didn't cause more confusion.Thanks for the feedback!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 3:12 PM
Apparently I had forgotten that I've seen that you can make custom templates in TS2.I just remembered that there are some on MTS too.
I looked more into that and I found this tutorial: https://katu-sims.livejournal.com/18978.html But the process looks different,since it involves BodyShop.I think mine is more user-friendly,but that's just my opinion.
Maybe it can be useful to whoever decides to take this project.

Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#6 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simdifference
Oh hello there!Yes I know about this project!It's a nice idea!I've been following you on tumblr for half a year and I had no idea it was you!
I wouldn't call it a ''Body Shop' (but sounds similar to it-sorry,maybe I didn't express myself properly,I'm bad at making public threads )',because it doesn't open any sim to work on-it just takes the data of an existing sim,and lets you choose,the part of the sim that you want to use as a template by creating a .package file that you can put in your mods folder,just like you would with a hairstyle.My program here doesn't replace anything,so there should be no worries about loosing a template that you may like,it just adds to the existing ones.I hope I didn't cause more confusion.Thanks for the feedback!
Hehe you're not the first one to make that mistake :p 

Anyways! Giving it more thought, I do see how this is easier though! because, the TS2 way it basically a mesh replacement in some way (which is debatable but yeah :p) 

Now, the difference here is that the way how the 'blend' works (so the in-game term they use for the sliders) is that they're made of vertex information as well as how much a bone moves and the vertex weight even. So it's quite a bit of info to save, which the SIMO file (I believe, could be wrong!) does  SAme counts for those preset faces and face-related presets (so, noses and eyes, etc)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 4:23 PM Last edited by simdifference : 29th Mar 2021 at 3:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
Hehe you're not the first one to make that mistake :p 

Anyways! Giving it more thought, I do see how this is easier though! because, the TS2 way it basically a mesh replacement in some way (which is debatable but yeah :p) 

Now, the difference here is that the way how the 'blend' works (so the in-game term they use for the sliders) is that they're made of vertex information as well as how much a bone moves and the vertex weight even. So it's quite a bit of info to save, which the SIMO file (I believe, could be wrong!) does  SAme counts for those preset faces and face-related presets (so, noses and eyes, etc)

I believe so-I just opened a sim (.sim) through S3PE,and if you click on the SIMO tags,on the right it says some info about slider data.I don't know coding so I don't know where the info for the custom sliders is,but since most of them are located on the mouth or the head,they're definitely somewhere there in the facial sliders.So the program must read the data from there.

Instructor
#8 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 6:21 PM
OMG!!! This is so amazing! I wonder when the tool will be released?

I always modify all my sims in the game one by one and it's very tiresome to make the whole world perfect. This tool is extremely helpful.

Can I make some special requests?

I wonder if the tool is also working for the custom slider mods installed in the mods folder? I hope it will scan the whole mods folder and listed all the custom sliders.

The Sims 4 Master Controller has the ability to copy the body shape of one sims to be pasted to many sims. I'm dreamed that one day someone made a tool with a similar function for The Sims 3.

The custom slider mods are a mess, there's no specific category for body slider, it must "borrows" head category, mouth, nose, eyes, etc. To make a body slider preset, we can't just use the whole sliders in one category, I wonder if it can be more specific down to each slider? Ability to opt-out and in only the needed sliders to be applied? And save it as a preset.