Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#126 Old 19th Feb 2013 at 6:28 PM
Hello, If you have Windows 7 64 bit, install Milkshape to your Program files (x86) folder because it's a 32 bit program. Also load your sims Unimesh plugins there also. Run it as administrator and see if that works. It does work on Windows 7 because that's what I have.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#127 Old 19th Feb 2013 at 6:32 PM
i am going to try aswell...
hoping it will fix those bonetool crashes
Mad Poster
#128 Old 19th Feb 2013 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
Hello, I was following this tutorial, everything was going fine until step 6, where it says 'Run Milkshape'.

I can't get Milkshape to run at all, I have clicked every way I can think of, a box pops up with 'do you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, I click Yes, and nothing happens.

I'm using Windows 7 if that's relevant.

Thankyou

I get the same pop-up with the same question, but clicking "Yes" works for me.

Are you using the full version of MilkShape? I'm just wondering if your trial period has expired or something. If not, then it might have something to do with Windows 7 (it doesn't run all of MilkShape well; some things like the Bone Tool don't work at all).

You could try running MilkShape in XP mode. Right click on your MilkShape desktop icon and choose "Properties". Go to the "Compatibility" tab. Click the little box for: "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". I've got mine set on Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Click "OK". Then try double-clicking the icon and see if it runs.
Test Subject
#129 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 8:32 PM
I have done the tutorial numerous times, uninstalled and re-downloaded both SimPE and Milkshape, but still no changes will appear in bodyshop.
I'd say it's something I'm doing wrong in SimPE as I'm very careful to put the new mesh file in the 'Downloads' folder
Help?
Mad Poster
#130 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sheeit*
I have done the tutorial numerous times, uninstalled and re-downloaded both SimPE and Milkshape, but still no changes will appear in bodyshop.
I'd say it's something I'm doing wrong in SimPE as I'm very careful to put the new mesh file in the 'Downloads' folder
Help?

If my changes won't show up in Body Shop, it's usually because I've forgotten to link the recolour to the new mesh. I forget regularly.
Test Subject
#131 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
If my changes won't show up in Body Shop, it's usually because I've forgotten to link the recolour to the new mesh. I forget regularly.

I've been so meticulous, and I'm fairly sure I've done that every time
It's just pretty frustrating
danm and blast :'3
Mad Poster
#132 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by isebee
My finished mesh wouldn't open in simpe.. help?

You can't "open" the mesh in SimPE; you must import it into your mesh project that you created earlier in the process by replacing the existing GMDC with the one you created in (and exported from) MilkShape.
Mad Poster
#133 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by isebee
That's what I meant xD I must have worded it wrong when I tried to import it it didn't work. I must have did something wrong.. guess I'll have to try again. The people on this site probably hate me for asking all these stupid questions xD

What do you mean by "it didn't work"? Did you get an error message? Did SimPE crash? Did your computer explode? If you're a little more specific, I might be able to help. I've had my fair share of SimPE problems and meshes not working.
Test Subject
#134 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 6:31 PM
Hello guys,

First and foremost, I am new in Mod The Sims, I am still playing Sims 2, I have the Ultimate Collection. I'm french so sorry if I am not writing well in English.

I tried to follow the tutorial about meshing (here the link : http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ate_a_Recolour)... But I think I failed. First I've tried the old tutorial, I thought there was no update of it because of the fact that Sims 2 is getting really old by now. Completely by chance I found this tutorial that looks more recent. I've just try it 2 times already, reading each steps many times to be sure I am doing well. Cleary it seems to be easier comparing to the old way I've tried recently, but still it's not working for me.

Here is my problem : In the step 4 "Link the Mesh to the Recolour", 6th point said that I have to check in BodyShop if my recolor is working. Of course I did Create Parts - Start New Project - Create Clothing - Formal but my dress is transparent. I mean, there is the head of my sim and nothing from neck to feet. When I put my mouse on the supposed icon on the formal list, it is written "TutorialDress".

Can someone explain me what to do ? Please be synthetic and explain me by dash, number or buller point, so that I can follow your explication easier and not be lost because of the langage border.

Thank you,
Ninaerys
Mad Poster
#135 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 7:11 PM
If the mesh doesn't show, there's a lot of things that could be wrong, so without having the files to look at it's near impossible to tell what the problem is. The first step would be to go through the tutorial and check that you've done all the previous steps, and be sure to check the file, not just think "I've done that" and move on. You may have forgotten to click the "commit" button before moving on, meaning the chages weren't added.

First of all, you may need to delete the accessory/cigen/groups/contentregistry files (2-4 files in the "The Sims 2" folder in Documents) - always try this first.

Most likely something is wrong with the mesh itself
- mesh isn't properly linked to the skeleton via bone assignments
- Mesh hasn't been linked to the recolor properly
- comments aren't added properly
- Something went wrong when replacing the mesh in the file
- The names of the meshgroups don't match the names in the recolor file
Test Subject
#136 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 7:28 PM
Thank you for you anwser.

But in the tutorial it says"Now close your 3DIR resource, without committing, by opening a different resource. After that you can continue as normal. Remember to save." Click OK on this. Now I've tried to to the link again, commit and save but it's still not showing of in bodyshop.

How can I check the elements you quote by dash ?
Mad Poster
#137 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 10:39 PM
You shouldn't click commit after linking the 3DIR (but that's one of the few exceptions to the rule), just click another resource and then save, like the popup says.

If nothing shows up, there's often a problem with the mesh - but without looking at the files it's impossible to say exactly where things went wrong, since there are a whole lot of steps. If you want, I can take a look at the files.
Test Subject
#138 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 10:47 PM
Oh yes I will appreciate that, I really want to learn and create my own things. But how are we gonna manage it ?
Mad Poster
#139 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 11:59 PM
If you mean how to post the files, you should be able to pack the files in a zip file and attach it to the post, under "additional options". I'll need to look at the package files (mesh + recolor), and possibly also the Milkshape file.

I'll take a look at the files, hopefully figure out what's wrong, and tell you so you can fix it yourself - that way you know until next time, so if you ever stumble upon the same problem you'll most likely be able to fix it on your own.
Test Subject
#140 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 12:25 AM
I am sorry I don't understand what you want according to the tutorial. I mean, from the tutorial I have :
- TutorialDress_MeshFile : One in en special folder (Tutorial part 2) and the same one in my folder Downloads (Tutorial part 4, point 7)
- TutorialDress package : Located in the folder Projects with textures alpha and things like that in .bmp format
- 5f852559_TutorialDress : Located in the folder SavedSims

Is that you want me to share ? Just for me to be sure about what you are asking and give you the right things.

About the Milkshape file I don't know what it is. I stopped the tutorial when I was in part 4 "Link the mesh to the recolor" point 6 "Check in Body Shop". So I stopped the tutorial before using 3D software
Mad Poster
#141 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 1:44 AM
I'm guesssing that would be "5f852559_TutorialDress" + "TutorialDress_MeshFile", assuming these are the ones you've edited and then tried to link together.

Are you planning to make the mesh later? You can of course link the mesh to the recolor before you do anything in the mesh program. I'm guessing then that something went wrong in the linking process.

When you get to the 3D software part, you'll be making a new mesh, probably either in Milkshape or Blender, depending on the tutorial and mesh program you're using. The Unimesh tutorial is based on Milkshape, but there are a couple of other tutorials based on Blender. (Milkshape is a pay program, though rather cheap. Blender is free, but can be difficult to use).

If you're new to creating, you should read through the tutorial and collect the programs you need before starting, so you have everything ready and have a rough overview of what you're doing. There's not much point to going through a meshing tutorial if you don't have the tools you need, and/or can't get them for some reason.
Test Subject
#142 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 9:47 AM
I am planning to try to make a mesh.

I thought that I can use this method for Milkshape and Blender aswell. I wanted to use Blender, my 30 days for Milkshape are done.

Here my zip : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8...iew?usp=sharing
Mad Poster
#143 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 9:58 AM
The archive file appears to be broken (won't open in WinRAR or alzip, and says the file appear broken) - could you try again?
Test Subject
#144 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 11:28 AM
Scholar
#145 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 3:20 PM
At first look I couldn't see anything wrong then I noticed the hyphenated 'e' in the internal mesh names, after switching them for a regular 'e' and re-linking everything it worked just fine.
Mad Poster
#146 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 4:30 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Oct 2017 at 7:20 PM.
I second that. Don't use any special characters when using the "fix integrity" function. Only Aa-Zz with no extra dots (like ë ô ã), numbers 0-9, and preferably only hyphens (-) because underscores ( _ ) transfers into a punctuation mark. Punctuation marks don't usually cause troubles in the resource names (I haven't noticed any), but if you get into the habit it's easier to follow through for filenames and such.

This means no punctuation marks (.,;:?!), or special characters like @£$¤#"^¨~*'?=}][()/&%<> and so forth. The same is true for filenames, though you can use underscores (-) and hyphens ( _ )

(edit: for some reason certain special characters show weird on this site. Another reason to avoid them...)
Test Subject
#147 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 6:36 PM
I tried again from the beginning and now it is showing up in Bodyshop. Thank you so much guys : Merci beaucoup !! It is already late in France so I will complete the tutorial tomorrow. I'll leave a message to keep you informed.
Test Subject
#148 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 3:53 PM
I I took a look on the tutorial mesh for Blender (http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments) , it says that I have to import there a Sims 2 smd files, but there is no this option in the import list of Blender. What should I do ?
Mad Poster
#149 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 5:13 PM
You have to install the SMD script linked at the top of the post.
Scholar
#150 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 12:57 PM
You'll probably find the SMD plugin does not work for the current version of Blender, I use Blender version 2.49b where it does work perfectly. Previous versions of Blender are available on Blender's website but you will need to 'dig around' a bit to find them, for Version 2.49b try:
http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/
Page 6 of 7