Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#251 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 10:03 PM
Hey, this looks like a great tutorial! Unfortunately, it's a bit much for me to take in now, so I'll try it when I'm done with my current projects. C:

Something you might want to add- Mac users cannot use the GIMP or Photoshop dds plugins (and we can't use paint.net at all). However, if I am correct in assuming that the dds file for this type of thing is like the other ones used for sims clothing, in that it doesn't need to have everything on it's own layer, then Mac users should easily be able to make this work with the help of a useful program called Aorta. (which I believe is free, I downloaded so many programs in my search for the right one, that I can't remember if I have a trial or the full version) Aorta will convert images from dds to png and back again, and if there's transparency involved, add a mask. It'll also do those mappy things that I don't use because I mostly convert textures and masks with it. I've been able to retexture clothing and add masks without any problems, and without a dds plugin. (My mesh problems are another story)

I dunno how many mac users would actually benefit from this knowledge, as it seems to me like I am the only gamer who uses Mac. *sigh* But there you go, hope that was helpful.
Advertisement
Theorist
#252 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 10:09 PM
When I try to open the DDS file, it keeps saying it's an unkown file type. I can't open it at all. (I'm using GIMP btw)

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#253 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 10:10 PM
You need the GIMP dds plugin. C:
Theorist
#254 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emhpb
You need the GIMP dds plugin. C:

It won't work. I downloaded it and double-clicked it, but it just keeps saying error at me. I hate this stupid computer sometimes. /kick of hate

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#255 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 10:16 PM
*cough* Are you using a Mac? Or a windows that's too old?
Theorist
#256 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 10:18 PM
*cough* Are you using a Mac? Or a windows that's too old?

I have a Vista. It's just decided to get pissy at me now that it's found out that it's not the latest model anymore. It can't find a Windows 7 to strangle, so it's taking it's anger out on me. D:

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#257 Old 15th Dec 2009 at 10:36 PM
Okay, I know it's kinda tricky. You have to stick the .exe file in your plugins folder, and you have to have GIMP 2.6 or later. That's pretty much all I can get from the website, try reading the documentation on the plugin?
Test Subject
#258 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 3:07 PM
Okay, I know it's kinda tricky. You have to stick the .exe file in your plugins folder, and you have to have GIMP 2.6 or later. That's pretty much all I can get from the website, try reading the documentation on the plugin?

do you know what i can do to stop my computer telling me that access is denied when i try to do this? windows 7 is making everything 10x harder to do with all the protection, i cant even use helper monkey with windows 7 it wont allow it i have to manually put everything in ... lol
Instructor
#259 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 7:58 PM
Are you an administrator on your computer? If you are, I can't really help you. I'm a mac user. xD If not, you might need to be.
Test Subject
#260 Old 29th Dec 2009 at 4:08 PM Last edited by Nadinz : 29th Dec 2009 at 4:19 PM.
Hi, im stuck at the beginning already Does anyone have a link for a DDS Plugin for Photoshop elements 6? i cant find one anywhere!! its getting frustrating!

Lovely tutorial btw!

EDIT: Im.. eh. im blind haha i didnt see the link on top of the tutorial! -.-'
Test Subject
#261 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 7:20 PM
Alaina (daluved1), thank you very much for this easy to follow tutorial! It's the first time I've ever tried to do anything custom and my shirt came out perfect
Test Subject
#262 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 2:03 AM
Ok I'm following the steps i should and I'm stuck on Part 2 Step 3. I use Paint.net and i cant figure our how to get my image on the .DDS. I was previously using GIMP but on GIMP i was stuck on Part 2 Step 2. With GIMP i couldnt get the .DDS to paste. Anyway, this is making me mad that i cant do this. So far, i've been stuck on the same step for about 2 hours. I really need some help on what I'm doing wrong. Could you explain how to use paint.net a little more?
Test Subject
#263 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 8:28 AM
Everything looks great, I created my first design tonight with very little problems. It's awesome!

However, how do you change the color of the shirt in the preview from the default white w/ blue sleeves? It's not really a big deal, I've just seen other people doing it and I want to be able to as well.
Test Subject
#264 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 1:28 AM
Default Help
This is my first time doing this so bear with me. I just downloaded the CAS Texture Unitool on a MAC but when i try to open the CAS Texture Unitool the CasTextureUnitool.exe automaticly opens in photoshop. What should i run it in.
Test Subject
#265 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 10:08 PM
Okay I'm a noob. I'm using Paint.net. You were using Delphy's CAS Thing Yeah? Well how do you do it on Paint.net? Sorry If this bothers you
Scobs x

“Oh my god,” Alec shut his eyes. “Jace, you’re naked.”

“I know,” Jace said. “I’m in my purest form, no hair dye, no clothes, no kangaroos. I’m just me!”
Test Subject
#266 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 8:47 PM
thnx
hey great tut!!! (all 3 of them)

so, after three days I finally managed to make a nice tee, tough it looks a bit weird since there's a horizontal line in the middle of the chest... i did retexture, so i think it's probably a mesh thing... bah... i'll just ignore it for now... or maybe learn how to mesh... i'll figure it out later.

Really, thanx an lot!

BTW, i dedicate to you my very first post !
Test Subject
#267 Old 16th Mar 2010 at 12:29 AM
Default I have a problem with the DDS file
Ok, I saved the picture of the shirt as a .DDS file but when I try to open up the picture in Photoshop or Paint.NET, it wont come up, please help me.
Test Subject
#268 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 8:31 PM
Thanks For Answers )
Test Subject
#269 Old 21st Mar 2010 at 11:19 PM
Would this tutorial work if I wanted to split up a full body outfit (bikini) into separate top and bottom sections? Thanks
Test Subject
#270 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 2:14 AM
I am using photoshop cs4 and it's not letting me import the dds file
Test Subject
#271 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 3:51 AM
Default confused
i'm using gimp and its not letting me import the dds file because its an "unknown file type"
help?
Test Subject
#272 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 7:12 AM
What Does Cas Mean?

You smile at me
I smile at you
Inventor
#273 Old 12th Jun 2010 at 7:52 AM
Create-A-Sim. Its in the game where you create your new sims.
Test Subject
#274 Old 16th Jun 2010 at 9:35 AM
Hi I've downloaded CTU fine and gimp 2.6 But i don't know how to get the DDS plugin working for GIMP. I saved it in the plugins folder for GIMP in program files but still whenever i try and open a DDS file it just says cannot open this file not a supported file type or something like that. But can you please help ????
Inventor
#275 Old 16th Jun 2010 at 11:38 AM
*DDS-plug-in for GIMP = gimp-dds-win32-2.0.7 http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/#download
To install, extract these files to your GIMP plugins directory. This directory is usually located at: C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins
Page 11 of 13