Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 7:29 PM
Default Disappearing table phones
Hello everyone,

After searching the forum, I can't seem to find anything similar to my problem and I'm not sure to which category it belongs. The problem is that the majority of my custom table phones disappear in the live mode, and in addition, I can't even find the maxis slimline table phone in the buy mode anymore! I have CEP extra phone package installed and I downloaded the apartment life fix but neither managed to help this issue. How do I stop them from disappearing or at least how do I get this table phone back?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 8:14 PM
It is hard to tell when you're first starting out whether you have a tech problem or a gameplay problem.

The most likely thing is that you accidentally downloaded something that messes with your table phones, either as a side effect or due to a conflict in the codes of two mods that don't obviously have anything to do with this.

So, the first thing you do is back up your game by copying the data files (preferably to an external location). This is always the first thing you do when troubleshooting - it means that even if you screw up royally during testing, you'll always be able to go back to where you are now.

The second thing is to pull your Downloads folder and load the game. You won't see your CC phones, obviously; but if you can find the phone in the catalog, you'll know that the problem causing it to disappear is in the Downloads folder. The usual procedure in that case is to divide the Downloads into two halves and test them separately. If you have the problem with one half of the folder and not with the other, you know that your culprit lurks in that half, so you divide and test again, repeating the procedure till you find the errant file. If you only have the problem with the full Downloads folder in, you know you're looking for two files that don't work and play well together. This sounds like it will take forever, and it is tedious, but it goes faster than you think it will.

In this case, since the problem is exclusively with table phones, you might be able to save some time by putting just putting phone-related CC back in. If the problem's there, you can do the 50/50 procedure with just that subset of files and probably figure it out in no time. But don't be discouraged if that doesn't do the trick. This code is sufficiently complex that chaos theory applies, and we all have our stories of the weird problems caused by items that had no apparent relation to the problem.

Because of this, if the 50/50 doesn't solve your problem, go back to the FAQ you were directed to before you were allowed to open this thread, and work your way through it doing the other suggested things. Don't just read it and think it must be irrelevant because it makes no sense. At the code level, "sense" is not a meaningful concept. Do each step. If you don't understand how to do one of the steps, come back and ask and somebody'll explain it to you in a different way that you may grasp better.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)