Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 1:13 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Returning player starting fresh and having file limit issues
My current computer specs:
Version: 10.11.6 El Capitan
6GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRam
ATT Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB

I don't remember what my old specs were but I believe it to be a 10.7 version with only 2GB of memory. I stopped playing long before I did the last upgrade or upgraded my memory. I had everything backed up to an external hard drive that was unfortunately lost to Hurricane Harvey. What I'm dealing with is what was still on my computer and I'm using the original game discs not the newer download version. My actual custom hood was hoplessly corrupted and has been deleted. The issue I'm having now is I've built a new hood with empty templates and using my saved downloads folder.

I built the hood and everything was fine until I started having issues that are textbook problems for too many files. I have not added anything to the downloads folder I had been using to run a hood with over 300 Sims total, now I'm having issues with 160 Sims. I have mods in place to avoid character bloat so I don't have multiple maids/waiters extra. I'm custom building the townies/dormies/downtownies and vacation locals and tourists to again keep those to a kind of minimum. I got to 14 playable Sims and boom I'm missing game lots and then Sims.

I've gone into my DL's and I've removed 600 files of stuff I don't really use. Do you think that is enough to solve this problem? My current DL file now has 9697 files in it and is 3.67 GB, I seem to remember 4.0GB being a threshhold in the past to stay under. I'm not sure if during the upgrade the specs on the file limit actually went down. If so it would explain my original hood corruption as it was not corrupted at the time I stopped playing.

In addition I can't seem to find the info on how to make back ups for Mac, if anyone could direct me to that info.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
My current computer specs:
Version: 10.11.6 El Capitan
6GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRam
ATT Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB

I don't remember what my old specs were but I believe it to be a 10.7 version with only 2GB of memory. I stopped playing long before I did the last upgrade or upgraded my memory. I had everything backed up to an external hard drive that was unfortunately lost to Hurricane Harvey. What I'm dealing with is what was still on my computer and I'm using the original game discs not the newer download version. My actual custom hood was hoplessly corrupted and has been deleted. The issue I'm having now is I've built a new hood with empty templates and using my saved downloads folder.

I built the hood and everything was fine until I started having issues that are textbook problems for too many files. I have not added anything to the downloads folder I had been using to run a hood with over 300 Sims total, now I'm having issues with 160 Sims. I have mods in place to avoid character bloat so I don't have multiple maids/waiters extra. I'm custom building the townies/dormies/downtownies and vacation locals and tourists to again keep those to a kind of minimum. I got to 14 playable Sims and boom I'm missing game lots and then Sims.

I've gone into my DL's and I've removed 600 files of stuff I don't really use. Do you think that is enough to solve this problem? My current DL file now has 9697 files in it and is 3.67 GB, I seem to remember 4.0GB being a threshhold in the past to stay under. I'm not sure if during the upgrade the specs on the file limit actually went down. If so it would explain my original hood corruption as it was not corrupted at the time I stopped playing.

In addition I can't seem to find the info on how to make back ups for Mac, if anyone could direct me to that info.

First of all the amount of files in Total File Size is NOT Important it is rather the NUMBER of files that you have.

Second I am pretty sure that 9697 files is going to be over the default maximum open file limit.

I have 9128 items in mt Downloads folder totalling 3.05 GB and I had to increase my Maximum Open File Limit Number twice to make it work, so you should think of using a rather large number is you use my solution.

Instructions are in a link in my Signature, but I want to point out that the instructions suggest that you use 65536 for the Max Open File Limit, well this number is not high enough if you are going to try to play with over 9000 files in my experience, so I want to note that I am using 81920 as the number in my system instead and everything is working fine.

So go look at my instructions found in the link in my signature and keep in mind if you are going to have a lot of files that you will need to have a larger maximum open file number.

http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...c,115344.0.html also by me, lists most of the errors one gets from having too many files in your Downloads foler, so you might want to read it.

Let me know if you have questions or problems and I will try to help.

You might want to upgrade to the download version, but I don't *Think* it is required, I don't really know though. I do know that the newer download version works well for me.

Regarding your other question: What kind of Backups for Mac are you asking about? If it is regarding backups for the Sims 2, the best thing that I have found is to back up the entire folder named: The Sims 2.

Just copy the entire folder to a external hard drive if you have one, or use a Writable CD or DVD disk, etc.

I backup my game each time I quit, by copying the folder The Sims 2 to my external hard drive and I keep the previous backup as well so that I have two copies of the folder The Sims 2 on my external hard drive at all times.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
First of all the amount of files in Total File Size is NOT Important it is rather the NUMBER of files that you have.

Second I am pretty sure that 9697 files is going to be over the default maximum open file limit.

I have 9128 items in mt Downloads folder totalling 3.05 GB and I had to increase my Maximum Open File Limit Number twice to make it work, so you should think of using a rather large number is you use my solution.

Instructions are in a link in my Signature, but I want to point out that the instructions suggest that you use 65536 for the Max Open File Limit, well this number is not high enough if you are going to try to play with over 9000 files in my experience, so I want to note that I am using 81920 as the number in my system instead and everything is working fine.

So go look at my instructions found in the link in my signature and keep in mind if you are going to have a lot of files that you will need to have a larger maximum open file number.

http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...c,115344.0.html also by me, lists most of the errors one gets from having too many files in your Downloads foler, so you might want to read it.

Let me know if you have questions or problems and I will try to help.

You might want to upgrade to the download version, but I don't *Think* it is required, I don't really know though. I do know that the newer download version works well for me.

Regarding your other question: What kind of Backups for Mac are you asking about? If it is regarding backups for the Sims 2, the best thing that I have found is to back up the entire folder named: The Sims 2.

Just copy the entire folder to a external hard drive if you have one, or use a Writable CD or DVD disk, etc.

I backup my game each time I quit, by copying the folder The Sims 2 to my external hard drive and I keep the previous backup as well so that I have two copies of the folder The Sims 2 on my external hard drive at all times.

I appreciate the assist. I have to say though I'm not computer savvy. I understand up to a point what you are telling me I need to do, create two files, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. I can find the file LaunchDaemons on the Hard drive but as far as the rest of it I'm kind of clueless. I need the Mac for Dummies version I guess.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 7:46 PM Last edited by Clashfan : 22nd Jul 2019 at 10:07 PM.
Instructions are in a link in my Signature

Ok, I found some other tutorials that helped explain a few very basic things, for example I had no idea what "Terminal" meant.
Based on all this I did the following: I created the two files you suggested (I also upped the limit as you suggested) in textedit. I converted them from .rtf to a .plist extension. I moved both files to the /library/launchdaemons location.
I then opened Terminal and changed the ownership and group with the two commands you had listed.
I restarted my computer.
I check the file limit and it still tells me 256.

I'm obviously doing this incorrectly. For the files all I did was cut and paste your text into a textedit file and only changed the file limit number. I did not retype the entire thing or change the formatting of it in anyway. Now I'm at a loss on what to do next.

EDIT I figured out what I did wrong as far as creating the files. I deleted the wrong ones and created them in Terminal. The files popped up in the correct folder and as far as I can see all the text looks correct (I did just cut and paste). I once again did the steps for ownership and group with the commands listed and I restarted my computer.
I check the file limit and I'm still at 256.

I'm now at the portion where I start banging my head on my desk. The files are there, they look exactly like your example. Am I missing a step somewhere?

Edit 2 I found someone elses instructions and I edited my maxlimit file with their code. That worked and now I show the increased file limit on my computer. Not sure what the difference was as it all looks like so much gibberish to me but I did manage to get it done.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
Ok, I found some other tutorials that helped explain a few very basic things, for example I had no idea what "Terminal" meant.
Based on all this I did the following: I created the two files you suggested (I also upped the limit as you suggested) in textedit. I converted them from .rtf to a .plist extension. I moved both files to the /library/launchdaemons location.
I then opened Terminal and changed the ownership and group with the two commands you had listed.
I restarted my computer.
I check the file limit and it still tells me 256.

I'm obviously doing this incorrectly. For the files all I did was cut and paste your text into a textedit file and only changed the file limit number. I did not retype the entire thing or change the formatting of it in anyway. Now I'm at a loss on what to do next.

EDIT I figured out what I did wrong as far as creating the files. I deleted the wrong ones and created them in Terminal. The files popped up in the correct folder and as far as I can see all the text looks correct (I did just cut and paste). I once again did the steps for ownership and group with the commands listed and I restarted my computer.
I check the file limit and I'm still at 256.

I'm now at the portion where I start banging my head on my desk. The files are there, they look exactly like your example. Am I missing a step somewhere?

Edit 2 I found someone elses instructions and I edited my maxlimit file with their code. That worked and now I show the increased file limit on my computer. Not sure what the difference was as it all looks like so much gibberish to me but I did manage to get it done.

Basic Method is to just copy the text that I have in the instructions and then paste that into a TextEdit page and then change the extensions and then place the files in the proper place and then run Terminal to set the Proper Permissions and File Ownership.

The Files need to be Owned by Root. Root is special in that it is the Über Adminstrator level of the Mac, basically Root IS the Operating System itself, there is nothing higher than Root. That is why you have to use Terminal, because you need it to set the Ownership to Root.

The Instructions were not originally mine, I just found them and added a note about how to use Terminal, because that confused me, I understand the rest of the instructions pretty well, it is just lots easier to just copy and paste. I *Think* I note that one should copy and paste. Then of course I decided to share the Instructions, so that more people would find them. The Other method that will work is to use Terminal to make the needed changes, but that only works if you use the Terminal Method each time you reboot or restart, the method I shared works all of the time and never has to be redone. Do it once and it is done.

Anyway glad to know that you got it to work. You should not have problems with having too much CC, unless you go crazy and download a lot....so don't download and install too much...or have multiple The Sims 2 folders for different set ups like a lot of PC using simmers.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 7:14 PM
Anyway glad to know that you got it to work. You should not have problems with having too much CC, unless you go crazy and download a lot....so don't download and install too much...or have multiple The Sims 2 folders for different set ups like a lot of PC using simmers.

I really appreciated your help. It at the minimum pointed me in the right direction. I admit to having a steep learning curve as I know nothing about programming but I got there in the end and that is all that matters. So thank you again!