Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 7:04 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game doesn't recognize upper floor as apartment
Hey everyone!

I'm having an issue with a two-story apartment I made from this originally single-family home .
It uses modular stairs and somehow the game doesn't recognize the whole upper floor as an apartment, meaning I cannot place anything there. I guess it's caused by the apartment not being sealed correctly. I've tried a lot already using boolprop aptsublotspecifictoolsdisabled false and aptbaselotspecifictoolsdisabled true but it's still not working. I really don't want to evict the whole building since there's already someone living in the other apartment.

I tried using different stairs, placing them somewhere else, removing all doors leading to the balconies - to no avail.

Here's the floorplan, upstairs and downstairs. I marked the doors outside and where the apartment ends.

https://imgur.com/SCSuJAb

https://imgur.com/BupjUtz

Maybe one of you sees what I obviously don't and can help me somehow. Thanks a lot in advance!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 7:24 PM Last edited by gh0stic : 1st Mar 2020 at 7:25 PM. Reason: cant spell lmao
oh! this happened to me before. so unfortunately, because youre stairs have that small landing there before actually reaching that floor, the sims see it as a public space.

the way i had to fix this in my game was to use a full stairwell where it didnt split like that and the sims were finally able to use the apartment i built as intended AS the apartment! idk why the game doesnt let us use modular stairs like this when it clearly is more space saving. super frustrating.

additionally, your apartments should only have one entry and exist to work properly - at least i have to do so in my game for them to work right. i do hope this helps you!

Now playing Waverly Chronicles, rotational gameplay
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 1st Mar 2020 at 8:38 PM
Stages are the culprit I believe.  If you want split staircases, maybe try a cc version of that like this: http://www.modthesims.info/d/513542...-staircase.html, that functions as a full staircase.  There are also some conversions originally done by Gosik that would work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2020 at 12:09 PM
Thanks to you two for answering!

The odd thing is, I already tried exchanging the stairs for circular ones using boolprop aptsublotspecifictoolsdisabled false while the family was already renting the apartment, it didn't change anything about my issue.
And, as you can see, the other apartment also uses modular stairs - here they work completely fine.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to have all inhabtitants move out, change the lot type, stairs, and have them move back in again. There's probably no way around ;_;

and @HugeLunatic, thanks for the link to the stairs!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2020 at 2:09 PM
The apartment sees the above space as public area and you can only fix that by moving the sims out, loading the lot, changing the zoning back to res, fixing the stairs and changing the zoning back to apartment. I did this once myself with stage, that is the only fix.

Is the other modular stair going the other way? I've seen it respond different one way to the other. Apartments are very temperamental and don't always make sense but avoid landings and don't use floor separator edging or have more than one door to the outside unless the area is fenced in making it part of the unit.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Mar 2020 at 11:00 AM
Mhm, it finally worked this way, thankfully

And yes, the stairs in the other apartment do go the other way... it doesn't make any sense to me but so be it, lol.