Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2021 at 10:35 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Unable to find custom .sc4 map to import into Sims 2
Hello, I think I'm posting in the right(ish) place, it's an issue with SimCity 4 but it's affecting my playing of Sims 2 so I guess I'll post it here.

I'm trying to create a custom hood map using SimCity 4, got the map basically how I wanted it, saved and quit, came back just to double check that the new map was saved in SimCity 4, saw it was and quit again, and then went to go find it in the Regions folder. Small problem: all the files listed were last modified in 2010 and all of them have the name of New World (xx). I loaded SimCity 4 again just to be absolutely sure and I definitely saved my map to where at least the game was recognizing it was edited terrain. I searched through all the Region folders and all of them looked more or less the same, with no trace of my new map so that I could drop it into the Sims 2 SC4 terrain. I tried rebooting my machine, hoping that that would help it update the folder, but it still looks exactly the same as it did before the reboot.

Am I missing something here? I tried to google the issue and also check these forums to see if anyone had posted for a similar issue and didn't find anything relevant to my particular issue in either case. If a file has been edited, it would stand to reason that it would update the info of that file in Windows Explorer, right? Is there a different directory I need to look in? Do I need to load the 300 or so maps into the SC4 Terrains folder in hopes of finding the right one? Is my game just broken and not liking Windows 10 (not unlikely)?
I've tried looking at tutorials on how to do custom maps for Sims 2 and according to those tutorials I'm not missing any steps. Please help, I'm at my wits end (other than uninstalling and reinstalling the game I guess, but I don't want to have to redo the map if it's avoidable).

File directory searched: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Regions\[Berlin/Fairview/London/New York/San Fransisco/Timbuktu]

Computer specs:
Base Model: Dell 8790
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @3.20GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Storage: 1 TB HDD
Graphics: nVidia 2870
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 2004 19041.804
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Feb 2021 at 11:35 PM
You're looking in the wrong place. The .sc4 won't be located in your program files, it's saved to your Documents/Simcity 4/Regions (same place as your sims 2 folder)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Modder
You're looking in the wrong place. The .sc4 won't be located in your program files, it's saved to your Documents/Simcity 4/Regions (same place as your sims 2 folder)

Thank you so much, I think I'm going to go scream now T.T
But I can proceed with the custom world, so I appreciate it!