Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2020 at 11:05 PM Last edited by Thax : 13th Feb 2020 at 2:19 AM. Reason: Solved

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [SOLVED] My Lovely Maxis Fruit Bowl is MIA
The fruit bowl is one of the Maxis objects, that I place in almost every kitchen. It's just so cosy. Unfortunately, my game now thinks there is no such thing as a fruit bowl (the words "fruit bowl" will appear in this post to a grotesque degree).

I'd just reinstalled Windows 10 completely, so subsequently Origin and the Ultimate Collection were both freshly installed as well.

I lost my giGANTIC collection of CC, that I'd been gathering since shortly after Sims 2 CC even became a thing, by accidentally formatting my external hard drive instead of the C drive, so when I discovered this travesty that is the missing fruit bowl, I only had very few furniture items and some default hairs in my game, as well as some recategorizers.

The only thing I could think of, was that the Maxis object recategorizer was the cause of the missing fruit, seeing as I was also missing two of the Maxis trash cans, which both re-appeared in the catalog after I deleted the recategorizer. The fruit bowl however, did not.

Of course the first thing I tried after that was removing my adorable little CC folder ( ) and opening the game vanilla, but nope. No fruit bowl.
I tried re-installing Origin as well as the Ultimate Collection and opening it up with no CC in it from the beginning. No fruit bowl.

I remembered that Darren Dreamer had a fruit bowl next to his easel in Pleasantview, so I went to check what the game intended to do about that. I see the mesh (?) of the fruit bowl, but in shades of grey with no texture.

Do anyone have any suggestions? I can't tell for sure if anything else is missing (I'm not Rainman), but in my many Sims 2 years, I've never once had a Maxis object go AWOL.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Feb 2020 at 11:28 PM
Sounds quite weird.

I've got the UC, and I'm reasonably sure the fruitbowl is in there (I have it in SimPE, and it pulls all the resources so it should be in the game, too), and it is a basegame item so it shouldn't just go poof!Disappear like that.

It's probably either a fault of a missed recategorizer file, or something went wrong in the install process. Items that lack textures usually flash blue, they don't go grey.

Normally I'd say it's a GUID conflict (somebody cloned the fruitbowl, forgot to give it a new GUID, and now it's replaced by something else - and somehow the item got stuck in one of your folders so the game can read it), but under the circumstances it doesn't seem very likely. Or a borked version of a CEP install, maybe?

Have you tried the "fix game" option on Origin? Could be EA's ability to bork things up. I know they released a couple of fixes that might not be part of the installed game (not sure if it depends on when you installed).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 12:18 AM
Wow... Somehow that worked! Well, repair + removal of CC, not repair alone. I don't understand how though, as one would think reinstalling the game would've produced the same outcome as simply repairing it.

I have downloaded quite a few furniture sets the past few days, where-in many of the items (as we all know) are based off of the fruit bowl, and as I was tweaking some of them in SimPe, 3-4 of them did show a message, saying something about the GUID. I don't remember what though and I have no idea if it's relevant at all. I literally only know how to change the category in which CC objects appear and whether they're available on community lots or not, so I didn't want to press anything ignorantly.

However, when the fruit bowl first went missing, I really only had a couple of furniture items, such as the simblender, a playground set and a few potted plants. Only thing I can think of is that it first went missing because of the recategorizer like the trash bins and then afterwards because of one or more furniture objects using the same GUID? That doesn't make sense to me either though, both because I started up the game as vanilla after a fresh re-install and because the furniture sets I'd downloaded, were sets I already owned before I lost my old CC and I still had the fruit bowl back then.

I'm very confused... In any case, thank you so much for the help! It got me one step closer to a solution. I'll probably have to open up those objects in SimPE again and see what it was it said about the GUID. It certainly can't hurt, lol.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 12:39 AM
I've used my trusty CD versions since 2006 all up until last year. They never gave me weird issues I couldn't handle. The UC is weird and sometimes does annoying things just because of [insert unknown reason here]. I'm still coming to terms with it... :/

My guess is the potted plants. I vaguely remember one posted somewhat recently that was fixed because of a guid issue (may have been stone/rock colored, so that could explain why the fruit bowl appeared grey), so maybe it's the same set I'm thinking of and you were unlucky?

Sometimes it's that one seemingly innocent item that causes issues. I had an item that caused my game to crash for at least 3-4 years before I finally decided enough was enough (turned out to be a fire alarm that had silently seeped in through the original download, and it didn't occur to me that it could be the problem before I sat staring at the final few items out of a 30 GB Downloads folder and had an aha moment - and then my game continued to crash when I put the lot folders back in, and I found maybe 3-4 copies in various lots).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 1:14 AM
I still have all of my discs as well, but switched the UC because I was missing the Mansion & Garden Pack, and it's a looooooot easier and faster to install UC, but yeah. If the original discs really work (or can be made to work) on Windows 10, I'm seriously considering going back. I do kinda miss that little game you can play while it installs, lol. Brings me back to my teens.

I've uploaded a picture of the screwy fruity and now that I look closer, it could kinda look like... alarm clock textures...? I did download the set of alarm clocks from ATS, but again, I had those in my previous CC collection as well and the fruit bowl looked perfectly normal. :/

Why can I never have normal problems in my life.

In any case, I'll have to go through all downloaded small electronic appliances in SimPE when I've slept, cause the more I look at that picture, the more it looks like a weirdly-wrapped alarm clock-texture or possibly a stereo. What an exciting mystery this is.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 1:36 AM
It's something with a digital read out, anyway. Could it be a microwave or a coffee maker?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 2:01 AM
I've identified the culprit! The decorative Old Cellphone from the Christmas 2017 set on ATS! Texture looks familiar, doesn't it?

Soooooooooo... uh... So what about that? It says it's cloned from the fruit bowl (like just about every other non-viewable decorative item). The GUID says 0x1427F5DF and I have no idea what I just said, let alone what I can do about it?
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 2:16 AM
I just realised I can just delete the damn thing... I'd like to point out that it's 3:15 am, I got up early yesterday and I'm very sleepy. >_>

Thank you both for your time, help and suggestions!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 13th Feb 2020 at 5:51 AM
I was about to say, anytime a Maxis items disappears or looks odd, it is usaly a piece of CC with the same GUID. Depending what it is, you can give the CC a new GUID in simPE. I've fixed a few things doing that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~