Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 3:26 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Large holes above windows installed in a custom height house (boolprop build)
Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help in regards to a neat little home I made based off a real home. It's really faithful to the real-life counterpart and I'm really pleased with it. I started off building this house after looking at the bigger attics tutorial here: http://modthesims.info/t/156028. The trick didn't really exactly work the same as the tutorial for whatever reason, after trying and doing it differently many times. It worked to a degree, providing me with a 1.5-floor height extension, but only on the second floor. This I had figured out to be fine though as it just meant the extra height on the first story came from the bottom up from the foundation, instead of from the where the walls would have been shortened on the second story. I deleted the second story walls and added roofing onto the now 3-4 click high custom first story wall. (I found 2 clicks too low on the tutorial in relation to the real-life example of the house).

This is then where I added the windows, which didn't bug out at first and looked really nice. I discovered that the windows only bug out when I drop the camera orientation down the first floor - other than that it looks fine. A temporary fix happens when I delete the walls and undo to restore it to original, and it looks fine again. I can't delete the wall and build a new one as I get the error message 'attached to wall'. With the boolprop cheat enabled I can build a new wall but it erases the custom height.

this is quite an advanced problem. I didn't really see any thread related to this. Any help is greatly appreciated. as it stands the house would be just fine if I left it as a decoration lot or something to blend into the rest of the neighbourhood. Thankfully if I leave it alone it looks great and realistic so it can be a decor piece if necessary. It is a shame since I would like it to be functional though.

Many thanks - Z

Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 3:48 PM
I have had similar odd graphics glitches on some of my houses. For example, wall sections that disappear in build mode, but do show up if I build the wall again, but disappear again. Those glitches have never shown up in the actual game. So test the house in game before you write it off.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rhiamom
I have had similar odd graphics glitches on some of my houses. For example, wall sections that disappear in build mode, but do show up if I build the wall again, but disappear again. Those glitches have never shown up in the actual game. So test the house in game before you write it off.

Yep, just moved a family in and on live mode it's there too. What a drag. Guess ill just leave it as a decor piece then. Thanks for your advice though, didn't expect a reply so soon.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 6:40 PM
It looks like your walls are more than the standard 8 click high, probably due to using cfe.  Windows/doors cannot properly cut out the wall if the wall is more/less than 8 clicks.
Instructor
#5 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 6:47 PM
I’ve seen instructions on using a dummy level to get the higher walls you are going for that look right in the game. Maybe look for those?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
It looks like your walls are more than the standard 8 click high, probably due to using cfe.  Windows/doors cannot properly cut out the wall if the wall is more/less than 8 clicks.

This is as per the technique used in the bigger attics guide. I reduced the amount of clicks for the hill foundation from 3-4 to only 2, which was suggested in the tutorial, yet I still get the same problem.
Alchemist
#7 Old 30th Apr 2020 at 9:46 PM
You will get that issue with any wall taller or shorter than standard. The usual way around it is to make sure the section where you want windows/doors IS standard height - which probably means warping nearby sections, or using a dummy level.

Using Numenor's Unleveled Wall on your non-standard section should also allow doors and windows to look normal. Here is a tutorial showing that function:
https://threadandsandpaper.dreamwidth.org/5129.html