Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2020 at 1:49 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Super Collection graphics card cannot fix
I'm sure y'all know about how you have to manually edit some files to get to use higher resolutions for the sims 2. My game won't recognize my graphics card, but since it is the Super Collection from aspyr and not the maxis Ultimate Collection, I have no idea where to go to manually edit the file. Does anyone have any solutions?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th May 2020 at 5:35 AM
I'll preface this with a warning that I might have missed something, because I haven't edited the game files on my Mac, but I'm guessing this is it because it's a similar filepath to the UC.

Open Applications, find the Super Collection, right-click on it and click "Show Package Contents" - it'll take you into the game files. From there, it should be Contents > Assets > Expansion Packs > Bon Voyage > TSData > Res > Config. The GraphicsRules.sgr and Video Cards.sgr will be in there.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th May 2020 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Radiiant
I'll preface this with a warning that I might have missed something, because I haven't edited the game files on my Mac, but I'm guessing this is it because it's a similar filepath to the UC.

Open Applications, find the Super Collection, right-click on it and click "Show Package Contents" - it'll take you into the game files. From there, it should be Contents > Assets > Expansion Packs > Bon Voyage > TSData > Res > Config. The GraphicsRules.sgr and Video Cards.sgr will be in there.

I figured it out very early this morning. The path is just *slightly* different. It's Contents > Assets > Expansion Packs > TSData > Res > Config. You don't have to find a specific expansion pack to get to TSData, which is actually slightly more convenient than I was expecting? Usually finding specific files in Mac ports is a nightmare.
Test Subject
#4 Old 16th May 2020 at 7:31 PM
That worked? I'm actually surprised - normally you need to edit your latest EP's Graphics Rules and Video Cards files, rather than the original files, because it would use the system requirements from the most recent EP. Using the ones from the base game is an odd tactic, but hey, as long as it works.

I'm glad you figured it out!
Instructor
#5 Old 16th May 2020 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Radiiant
That worked? I'm actually surprised - normally you need to edit your latest EP's Graphics Rules and Video Cards files, rather than the original files, because it would use the system requirements from the most recent EP. Using the ones from the base game is an odd tactic, but hey, as long as it works.

I'm glad you figured it out!

The PC version retains the executable and data files for each EP. The Mac version overwrites the old ones with the new ones. So there will be only one TSData directory, for the current version.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th May 2020 at 12:05 AM
Sims 2 Super Collection actually keeps Graphics Rules.sgr and Video Cards.sgr in three different places, just for extra fun and games.

There's Contents -> Assets -> TSData -> Res -> Config, as you've already found.
There's also Contents -> Assets -> [expansion pack] -> TSData -> Res -> Config

The above, so far as I can tell, are the original Windows files.

There's also Contents -> Resources -> Config, which is very definitely a Mac specific version. The files there are the ones that I edit when I want to add an unrecognised video card, or tweak the settings.

(Oh, and for the 32-bit version (version 1.2.3 and below), substitute Home for Assets.)