Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: What do you think about TS3?
I HATE it!
7 4.29%
I dislike it.
15 9.20%
It's okay, I guess.
25 15.34%
I like it.
47 28.83%
I LOVE it!
59 36.20%
Where are the llamas???
10 6.13%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#126 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 5:22 PM
What bothers me is the poorly designed clothing, hair, and all the other objects in the game. Creating all the clothing, hair, and all the other objects in grayscale (so everything can be colorized and patterned) creates a time consuming project to redo EVERYTHING yourself; whereas, in Sims 2 – right out of the box – it wasn’t necessary to redo every item because the artwork was much better. Whoever did the grayscale artwork in Sims 3 forgot to add contrast!

I think EA created this artistic disaster to force us to buy items in their store – this is one reason why the bodyshop is gone.

I’ still waiting for EA to fix the MAC version problems…
Advertisement
Instructor
#127 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by razberria
What bothers me is the poorly designed clothing, hair, and all the other objects in the game. Creating all the clothing, hair, and all the other objects in grayscale (so everything can be colorized and patterned) creates a time consuming project to redo EVERYTHING yourself; whereas, in Sims 2 – right out of the box – it wasn’t necessary to redo every item because the artwork was much better. Whoever did the grayscale artwork in Sims 3 forgot to add contrast!

I think EA created this artistic disaster to force us to buy items in their store – this is one reason why the bodyshop is gone.

I’ still waiting for EA to fix the MAC version problems…

You speak my heart!
The new scenario took my breath first I saw it. (Sky, stars, sea.. very real).
But TS3 is lack of designs. Seriously lack of it! Hair, clothes, town buildings...horrible.(That's why I love MTS so much. They make my gameplay beyond bearable)

And what I hate the most is... better-looking hair, clothes, objecrs show up in EA STORES!!!!!

Horrible, horrible.

Ps.I love the game. But I choose "I like it" due to poor designs and lack of variety of things I mentioned above )

Ps.2 Careers are not interesting too. Compared to TS2
Instructor
#128 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wolfstarz7
M'kay, well I'll list my pros and cons about S3:

Pros:

CAS Facial Sliders that can be enhanced by mods...
New Facial Expressions that make my sims more realistic...
Seamless neighborhood and new navigation abilities...
Realistic ponds and improved natural environment esthetics...
Ability to find seeds, rock/gems, etc. to sell and/or collect...
Life Fruit (serving as Elixir) and the ability to buy it via a mod...
LTWs, Moodlets and Trait systems are a nice change...
Story Progression once IMPROVED greatly is a great addition...
New social interactions and ability to know what Sims are thinking...
Build UI is much improved and w/further updates will be excellent...
Pattern customization and object recoloring in-game...
Vehicle parking placement and customization...
Kids being able to eat not only leftovers but quick meals as well !

Okay... are you ready for the bad news now ?

Cons:

Story progression causing kids/teens to age up badly since the game does not force them to gain skill points and keep their grades up...

The EAxian idea that all simmers would want to play just ONE family for a long period thus programming the game to possibly bork if many families are played even in rotation...

The insane notion of having families moving out and in to other homes frequently and randomly -- what's the point of creating beautiful homes for sims who are gypsies ?

Generation of new families to fill the empty houses repetitiously... need to allow each simmer to only have the families THEY want in their neighborhood !

No social interactions between kids and toddlers... playing w/the block table together should fill each of their social needs...

Severe dearth of objects: NO diving board/slide, hot tub, piano, pool table -- c'mon this is a base game that cost enough money to at least have these included !

Severe dearth of wall hangings, sculptures, fountains and decor type objects -- again very poor even for a base game !

The animations for physical movements of the sims needs to be vastly improved... it's like we took a step back to S1 -- and while this is supposed to be a prequel to then... we should not have regressed to this awkward stage w/the newer technology !

The sim babies being placed back in a papoose -- c'mon now why not even have the TS2 style baby at least ?

Sims3 was supposed to have improved sim intelligence for all "taking care of baby" actions... it is not any better than TS2 in this regard... so what happened ?

Sims3 sims stand like idiots when they are almost in the RED w/hunger and walk away from the plate of food that's just been prepared -- WHY?

Sims3 shower/bathroom needs took an unnecessary turn to the negative -- they need to take care of these actions sooner as was promised in the S3 promos...

There need to be a LOT more actions/goals these sims can achieve w/their collections of seeds, rocks/gems, etc...

Kids need to be able to skill up in cooking by reading or preparing small meals AND athleticism by swimming/playing catch...

I will list more as time goes on and I too felt like this game was rushed even w/the extra months that were given to "perfecting" the entire game... sure wish that had been the case... : |

I'm having a standing ovation for you now.

You are right at every points of the "CONS".
We create families, we built their dream houses, we creat our own town as UTOPIA, then you put "You know who?" in our houses? And marry them to "who the..h..ll.."?

What are u thinking, Maxis? You lost your mind?
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by little bee
You speak my heart!
The new scenario took my breath first I saw it. (Sky, stars, sea.. very real).
But TS3 is lack of designs. Seriously lack of it! Hair, clothes, town buildings...horrible.(That's why I love MTS so much. They make my gameplay beyond bearable)

And what I hate the most is... better-looking hair, clothes, objecrs show up in EA STORES!!!!!

Horrible, horrible.

Ps.I love the game. But I choose "I like it" due to poor designs and lack of variety of things I mentioned above )

Ps.2 Careers are not interesting too. Compared to TS2

The sims 2, in my opinion, always had ugly hair, clothes and objects. Each expansion provided us with more and more uglyness. Almost 100% of everything I ever used was CC. So in that respect sims 3 is no different. For me anyway. And I think the stuff in the store is just as ugly as what came with the base game.

Agree with the lack of good careers though!
Inventor
#130 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 11:37 AM
After playing for about a month I get bored. I quitted playing sims 2 four months before sims 3 came out and hoped so much that there will be really good changes.

Sims 2 got boring for me because everything followed the same pattern. The interactions are the same every time and so I hoped with the new traits sims 3 gets more realistic and the social artificial intelligence is really much better.

But it's again the same boring stuff. To get friends I click the whole circle of interactions and the traits give the game not so much new possibilities. I mean an evil sim for example can "sleep evil" - very creative.... And he can steal sweets from a baby (really evil). Or he can frighten someone - woo exciting...

Then the skills. It pretty much reminds me of sims 2 freetime whereas in sims 2 there are much more things to do. In sims 3 it's every time the same. When I play with a sim the wish "learn painting" for example and "visit a painting course" comes up and that's just so boring. There are not so many wishes and it's just dumb clicking on the rabbit holes "take course" do this and that.

So maybe I got bored by the whole principle of the game and that there are not really so many changes to sims 2 especially when everything got explored. And after one month of playing I have to say, that everything just repeats and repeats.
Or I have played sims 2 so much that the usual things someone does with the sims like live a "human" life, go to school/work, eat/shower.. everyday, make babies, grow them up just got too boring for me. I don't know. But I am definitely very sad that I lost my interest for the game in general. Maybe the upcoming expansion packs have something really new - but we have to wait and see.

You never know what’s comin’ for ya.
Lab Assistant
#131 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 1:34 PM
Let's admit it: The Sims saga is dead. Everything that Black Box guys touches become ruined and is un-repairable.

Winning the Game
Don't be absurd. This is an EA game! What's to win? You have already lost 50 bucks when you bought a game that contains even less than TS2 base game, and you're gonna spend ten times more if you want to get all the features that you enjoyed in TS2!
--The Sims 3 Prima Guide
Mad Poster
#132 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Antagonist.01
Let's admit it: The Sims saga is dead. Everything that Black Box guys touches become ruined and is un-repairable.

Yeah, in your opinion. TS3 is far better than 2, IMO.
Test Subject
#133 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 10:16 PM
I love the game, but I was really hoping that Sims 3 would have picked up where Sims 2 left off... adding new things, not leaving things out.

Things I like:
º Create a style - Love it!! Wish it would work with staircases/roof.
º Better looking graphics - especially water/flowers
º Continuous town - being able to visit neighbors
º New default skin tones and body types.

Things I don't like:
º Limited items in game - no jacuzzi, no half-walls, no corner sofas, etc.
º All Sims 2 expansions missing - no dates, pets, vacations, seasons, etc. I was hoping these would all be part of Sims 3, with *new* expansions to look forward to, not the same they did with Sims1 and Sims2.
º I wish they would have made it easier for us to create custom content, although the create a style is a good step.
º No really new building tools - you could make rounded pool edges in Sims2, now we're back to squares and diagonals. No indoor platforms.
º You can't save in build mode. Annoying.

Things I'm not sure about:
º The default should be that your Sims do not do anything that affects their lives long term if you're playing a different household. I wasn't pleased when I saw my future 5-star chef at the military barracks in fatigues.

I hope all the stuff we had in Sims 2 gets added in quickly... but somehow I think it's going to take years. In any case, I'm enjoying the game though it does seem a bit watered down and is missing a lot of the stuff I got use to.
Test Subject
#134 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 10:25 AM
I love Sims3, especially the sims themselves. Faces are now much softer, more like real human faces, rather than the fake looking, plastic seeming, skinny hideousness that was Sims2 faces. All the Sims3 faces I've seen in-game have looked much better than any I saw in Sims2, even with all the expansions and many gigs of custom content, including numerous skins. I do, certainly wish there were more sliders, especially for body shape, rather than focusing all the attention on the head. Changing thighs, hips, rears, breasts, stomachs, and leg shapes independantly would be a MASSIVE boon.

Open neighborhood is wonderful, it's so nice to be able to just go anywhere without having to wait 15 minutes, twice, to get there.

Being able to place driveways anywhere is a huge plus and certainly worth the slight reduction in animations. Also, I really like the build interface in this version a lot better, much more intuitive, to me. Sure I wish there were more options, but those will come, in time

There are some things I DO miss, however...
E-mail. WTF? They can chat with random people online, but can't e-mail their friends? That was in base game sims2, wasn't it?

Townies active at all hours. Why does the entire town seem to shut down at night?

Memories. Sure I think the thousands of "met so-and-so" were stupid and unnecessary, but Significant events like "first kiss", getting married, catching spouse cheating, have no lasting impact, now.

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I really do miss the cut-scenes, for major events. Yeah, after a while I would skip through most of them, but now it seems like things that should be major events in a sims life can easily go unnoticed. The camera doesn't even move in for a close-up when proposing, shouldn't there be some acknowledgment that this is a big deal to my sim?
Lab Assistant
#135 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 2:35 AM
I wasn't going to get it as yet. I was waiting to see if more contests came out before I got it and waiting for more downloads. But after seeing all the beautiful houses and landscapes I liked it and purchased it today. I was a little afraid of some sim faces! I also wanted the seasons in it. But I am sure they will make another EP for that too.
Scholar
#136 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by red velvet bunny
I hope all the stuff we had in Sims 2 gets added in quickly... but somehow I think it's going to take years.

And a whole lot of forty-dollar expansion packs plus EA store content you'll need to buy separately.

(Yeah, I come down pretty firmly in the 'dislikes TS3' category if it's not blindingly obvious. I got pretty close to reinstalling it recently, then saw the news about the crap xpac (minus stuff you'll need to buy at the store), and then the stuff about EA protecting paysites now... and tonight I looked at the last two pages of 'babies and toddlers' screenshots for TS3 versus the last two pages of the same for TS2, and really remembered why I uninstalled it in the first place.)
Lab Assistant
#137 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
EA protecting paysites now

Really??? I didn't know that! I don't understand why they would do that. OH YEAH, the sims are making a fortune on all of us But I personally think it's a great game. I will have my Sims 3 next week, then I will make a comment on how much I like it or not.
Lab Assistant
#138 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 7:22 PM
I like it, but it has it's flaws...for a start I won't be able to make my beloved Final Fantasy households for a while. XD
I also don't like the fact the last name through weddings is decided over who 'proposed'...I'd much rather choose the last name, thank you! Oh yes, I also noticed the last names of children do not change when their parents get married, they stick to the mothers last name. Not sure if this is something to be fixed later officially or what, but marriage needs a heavy look into to be fair. 1. Ability to choose the last name after marriage. 2. Ensure the Children's last names are also changed to match their parents. 3. What happened to the marriage reef?!
Test Subject
#139 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 12:28 AM
Default My Longing for TS2
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
I am bored by TS3 and I can't figure out why. I have tried careers and gardening and fishing and collecting things and having babies and touring buildings and visiting neighbors and living "homeless" (though that Sim's life was so easy with all the picnic lunches and openly-accessible showers that I decided she was less homeless and more a freegan). I have played CAS-made Sims and I have rotated through the Bachelor/Goth/Langerak/Landgraab houses in a complex storyline (bless Pescado's hack). I've had Sims in Sunset Valley and Sims in Riverview. My next attempt will be to configure the Awesomemod to Sims 2 style aging/time, clear out all the playables from Sunset Valley and move my own CAS-created Sims in. In essence, to play TS3 as if it were TS2 with glorious sunsets.

Ditto to all of the above.

I've reverted back to TS2 because I'd done all of the above except try playing TS3 as if it were TS2. Although, I've not deleted TS3 and still play it but, I tend to go to TS2 and play for a bit just to get what I call my TS2 fix.

TS3 has many many great features and some bad old features added for whatever reason (I don't get it) why would EA do that. I mean to say TS3 characters walk clumsey, they take far too long to move to the next que. They starve their kids, I find the sims quite boring at times. You can't hold a party like in TS2. I love to party in the sims 2. I feel cheated especially when visitors say I had a blast when all they've done at the party is try and get through the front door. I have parties in TS3 where no one says boo to a goose, then runs off without a dance, a chat, a plate of food or even a pee (preferably not on my porch though). I don't get it.
Field Researcher
#140 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 2:59 AM
I'm so tired of the building stuff. Either it's a matching set that's hideous from top to bottom, or there's nothing to match it and it looks awkward. I refuse to believe the designers are incapable of coming up with something that looks halfway decent, since they've done it before. I just can't imagine why they can't give us ONE SET that looks good and matches in the base game. They didn't do it for TS2 and they haven't done it for TS3.

Also, would it kill them to include spiral stairs in the base game? We had to wait years for spiral staircases in TS2, same with TS1. Would it literally be beyond their capability to make a single set of spiral stairs for TS3? And why, oh why, can I not recolor the stairs?

Bah. SO MUCH RAGE!
Field Researcher
#141 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 11:54 AM
Many different options here first the sims are enormously much smarter and more flexible. They don’t drop the action queue then facing someone in a doorway. They are able insert eating or toilet visits in the action queue. Wait outside a toilet or enter and get chased out.
In sims2 you had to have double door to the bedroom.
I don’t like the new look of the sims, mainly because so many are ugly. The designers would probably want to make individually looking sims but the result is that you has to search for pleasant looking ones.

Building has been far easier, mainly because of the drag wall, half block placement and smarter sims so you don’t have to design highways in the house so sims don’t block each other. Also the create a style make any object far more versatile. Most of the object recolor mods in sims2 are obsolete.
Downside is that it’s too few different objects compared with the full sims2.

Major downside is the social interaction with other sims, no meting places except outdoor or at homes, the ugly npc who stop being friend after a few days so you don’t bother anymore.
Yes it was too easy to make best friends in sims2 but this is ridiculous. I even had sims stopping to be friends with each other in the household. Long distance friend helps but it’s annoying.

Overall, I like sims3 better mainly because of the better AI and new things to do, will probably be way better then we get more mods.
Test Subject
#142 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 12:12 PM
The game seriously WANTS to hurt me.
I was so excited when it arrived and set straight to installing it but when it did install it was so SLOW. I can't have good graphics and it's taking ages to even zoom out of my sim house. I expct it's because I don't have the right video specs, but didn't EA say it could run on your grandma's computer?
I wish I could like it but I spend so long trying to get anything done that I just can't. However I love the new CAS (am I the only one?). I think there'll be more clothes soon and I had hoped that they would provide us with more outfits and hairstyles, but I actually like the face shapes and body shapes! They look like real people, and it would've been nice to get some real ugly sims in there aswell but the real world isn't populated entirely with gorilla-faces with giant noses.
Hair especially I think has taken such a huge step. All these different colours, highlights and lowlights, I was very pleased.
Body shapes would've been better if you could maybe have a few hip and chest sliders for girls and torso sliders for the guys, but I suppose it's meant to be "kid-friendly".
Biggest hangup: Design. It's so hard to find plain, regular wallpaper. Nothing in my house matches! I liked the Sims 2 aspect of that. If you don't like something you could just download a nicer one. I'm still confused about this Sims 3 wallpaper and flooring.
Also, my game is so dark. Dark dark dark! I can't do anything to make it brighter, I don't know why it has decided to do this. Again, maybe a good video card, but I refer again to what EA said about being able to run this on an old computer (and mine's Vista).
My opinion: Take the best stuff out of Sims 3, put it into Sims 2 and make a Sims 2.5.
Top Secret Researcher
#143 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zuperbuu
I also don't like the fact the last name through weddings is decided over who 'proposed'...I'd much rather choose the last name, thank you! Oh yes, I also noticed the last names of children do not change when their parents get married, they stick to the mothers last name. Not sure if this is something to be fixed later officially or what, but marriage needs a heavy look into to be fair. 1. Ability to choose the last name after marriage. 2. Ensure the Children's last names are also changed to match their parents.

You can go to the town hall during business hours and change their names to anything you want.

Quote: Originally posted by magnemoe
the sims are enormously much smarter and more flexible. They don’t drop the action queue then facing someone in a doorway.

orly?

Tell that to everyone at this party who stood in a queue behind Grady Elfman until they party ended!

Instructor
#144 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 12:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Malison
Biggest hangup: Design. It's so hard to find plain, regular wallpaper. Nothing in my house matches! I liked the Sims 2 aspect of that. If you don't like something you could just download a nicer one. I'm still confused about this Sims 3 wallpaper and flooring.

Huh? You can recolour the wallpapers and floors through the CAST option.
Field Researcher
#145 Old 10th Aug 2009 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena

orly?

Tell that to everyone at this party who stood in a queue behind Grady Elfman until they party ended!

That was going on? Then sims finds the target blocked they first wait hoping the other sims to go away, then might start shouting like in sims2, might drop the planned action like showering but they keep their task queue.
Only place I have seen them stand in queue is in front of the refrigerator but here they tend to shout and drop the action if they have to wait to long.
Here they seem to want to access a blocked object? Perhaps the active sim who is doing something else?
Top Secret Researcher
#146 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by magnemoe
Here they seem to want to access a blocked object? Perhaps the active sim who is doing something else?

Yes they are all trying to go outside and eat delicious hamburgers! If this happened in TS2 they would have changed their route and gone out the front door if the back door was blocked.

They didn't drop the action queue but they didn't complete the action. If they had dropped the action queue I would have known something was wrong!
Lab Assistant
#147 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 4:03 AM
I will say I learned my lesson with TS2. I had it prior to release... it took years to get it enjoyably playable for me. The CC made the game for me without it.... I wouldn't have ever played. I had major technical issues with the base game in TS2 and felt insulted and flat out ripped off that I paid that much for a game and piece of software that was that buggy and unacceptable in terms of final production and release. However, after much invested cash... over the years they fixed it... MTS2 modders fixed it... and I became satisfied with it. THAT experience made me step back from TS3, and after reading this thread I'm glad I waited. I will most likely wait till the expansion packs are out and I can pick up a completed set from Ebay for 50 bux before I even begin thinking about playing it. I'm just not up for sinking a lot of cash into software that doesn't have what is promised, filled with bugs and requires computer overhaul to play.

The only thing I can think of that sounds apealing to me is the seamless neighborhood. Seems that there are huge limitations in customizing sims, and housing for them. I guess I'm just not willing to pay 60 bux to take huge steps backwards in my game play. I'll stick with TS2 until TS3 has something real to offer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't compare your life to others,
You have no idea what their journey is about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Test Subject
#148 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Oprah
Huh? You can recolour the wallpapers and floors through the CAST option.

That's the colour wheel, right? I haven't actually played this game much, it's just so slow. I can't get past the first sim day because it takes 5 seconds to zoom out by one!
Anyway, if that's the colour wheel, then I tried that. I just can't think of any matching designs, even with the little square template thingies.
I apologise if I sound like a noob, I really am with this game. If I can figure out how to make it brighter and faster, I'll get back to you xD
Test Subject
#149 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 9:43 PM
"I just can't imagine why they can't give us ONE SET that looks good and matches in the base game. They didn't do it for TS2 and they haven't done it for TS3. "

I'm with you Tuber, is it that hard to open a Jordan's catalogue and design a nice couch instead of a hideous one?
Top Secret Researcher
#150 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 2:36 AM
What I really do like about the game is their eye movements. Sometimes they give that sly look to the side and it really looks like they are thinking about something!

But what really freaks me out is when the sim keeps moving after you've paused the game. A few times I've paused it and tthen he sim has turned their head and looked directly into my eyes! It literally made my skin crawl and it felt like a horror movie... the machine was coming to life!!!!!
Page 6 of 21