Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Weather Realism Overhaul [2.1.0]

by no12 Posted 24th Nov 2018 at 12:44 AM - Updated 24th Dec 2023 at 6:32 PM by no12 : Fix text on the page

329 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 264 Feedback Posts, 64 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 8 of 14
Test Subject
#176 Old 13th Nov 2020 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by no12
Thank you! And if you wanna know, the new world's weather is based on Sapporo, Japan.

Yay! This has to be my favourite pack just because of the Japanese inspired content LOL
Thank you so much!
Field Researcher
#177 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 6:52 AM
One of my favorite things about seasons is fog. Is there a way to add more fog to my words?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#178 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DreamaDove
One of my favorite things about seasons is fog. Is there a way to add more fog to my words?

I guess this depends on what you mean by fog.
There's some misty weather in the mornings (which is hard-coded into the game I'm pretty sure), but other than that there is no foggy weather in the unmodded game.
There's also a fog forecast that I've created with this mod. If you want more of that forecast, you can just add more of it to a world by changing the value in the ForcastList file of that world/season.
Making your own fog forecast is a bit harder, but I can try to explain it if you want that.
Field Researcher
#179 Old 22nd Nov 2020 at 6:27 PM
I guess this depends on what you mean by fog.
There's some misty weather in the mornings (which is hard-coded into the game I'm pretty sure), but other than that there is no foggy weather in the unmodded game.
There's also a fog forecast that I've created with this mod. If you want more of that forecast, you can just add more of it to a world by changing the value in the ForcastList file of that world/season.
Making your own fog forecast is a bit harder, but I can try to explain it if you want that.

Please do, I have done a little modding and am not scared of messing with the tuning files.
By fog, I mean the opaque sky that sometimes shows up -- you see it a lot in the jungle (so it may be a world effect??) Something like how during the blizzard you can't see very far.. just.. less.. Yea. Mostly what you see in the jungle.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#180 Old 27th Nov 2020 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DreamaDove
Please do, I have done a little modding and am not scared of messing with the tuning files.
By fog, I mean the opaque sky that sometimes shows up -- you see it a lot in the jungle (so it may be a world effect??) Something like how during the blizzard you can't see very far.. just.. less.. Yea. Mostly what you see in the jungle.

As far as I know, the effect in the jungle is a world effect, so I don't know how to edit that for another world, but there is a way to make a separate foggy weather event.
First, you need to create new weather_event files for fog, one for each temperature. For example, my weather_event or cold, foggy weather is this:

<I c="WeatherEvent" i="weather_event" m="weather.weather_event" n="Cool_weather_Fog_Cold" s="181643">
<L n="cloud_states">
<U>
<E n="key">DARK_SNOWCLOUDS</E>
<U n="value">
<U n="range">
<T n="lower_bound">10</T>
<T n="upper_bound">100</T>
</U>
<T n="end_delay">0</T>
<T n="end_rate">0.6</T>
<T n="start_delay">0</T>
<T n="start_rate">0.6</T>
</U>
</U>
</L>
<V n="precipitation" t="disabled">
<U n="enabled">
<E n="precipitation_type"></E>
<U n="range">
<T n="lower_bound"></T>
<T n="upper_bound"></T>
</U>
</U>
</V>
<V n="wind" t="enabled">
<U n="enabled">
<U n="range">
<T n="lower_bound">0</T>
<T n="upper_bound">21</T>
</U>
</U>
</V>
<V n="lightning" t="disabled" />
<V n="thunder" t="disabled" />
<E n="temperature">COLD</E>
</I>

There are a few things you can configure here, but the one you have to have for that foggy look is the DARK_SNOWCLOUDS cloud state. It's the cloud state that you get when it snows heavily, and when it appears without rain or snow it looks a lot like fog. Under the cloud state, you can see its 'range', which is how heavy the effect will be. I wanted a varying amount of fog, so I chose 10 to 100, but if you want something a bit lighter you can go with 10 to 70 or something around that, but don't do 0, it will just disable the effect sometimes.

When you're done creating the weather_event file you have to put your new event to a weather_forecast file. These aren't the weather events themselves, but they're what you see when you open the calendar in-game. For simplicity, you can just put the weather_event file into an existing forecast (cloudy would be a good choice for this), but if you want to make fog into a separate forecast you have to follow these steps.
  1. Add a weather_forecast file, or multiple if you're doing it for multiple temperatures.
  2. Copy another forecast's data. Cloudy is a good option for this as well.
  3. Edit the calendar_icons, forecast_description, and forecast_name. (Don't forget that you have to edit both the sim data file and the forecast tuning file, and on top of that you have to go on to the string table lookup and lookup fog, and replace the old keys with the new 'fog' key.
  4. Then you have to change the events you copied to the fog event, and change the keys as well.
  5. Finally you have to get the ForcastList files for whatever season or world you want fog in.
Sorry for the late response but still, hope that helps!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#181 Old 6th Dec 2020 at 4:16 AM
This is so bloody cool!!!
Field Researcher
#182 Old 10th Dec 2020 at 1:08 AM
How does this look for the newest update? (Dec 7 1.69.......)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#183 Old 10th Dec 2020 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kslibra
How does this look for the newest update? (Dec 7 1.69.......)

Haven't tested it yet, but there are no changes in the update that would impact this mod, so I'm pretty sure it's okay.
Field Researcher
#184 Old 11th Dec 2020 at 7:30 PM
Haven't tested it yet, but there are no changes in the update that would impact this mod, so I'm pretty sure it's okay.

Thx. Since I'm having to go through all my Mods as some are updated, just thought I'd ask!
Test Subject
#185 Old 27th Jan 2021 at 1:35 PM

Hi, unfortunately it is not OK.
It causes Haunted House lot type to disappear. Possibly something to do with paranormal weather?
Test Subject
#186 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 6:27 PM
Default Paranormal Patch
Quote: Originally posted by Eliste
Hi, unfortunately it is not OK.
It causes Haunted House lot type to disappear. Possibly something to do with paranormal weather?

Hi @no12, will you be updating this mod for the Paranormal Patch? It does seem to conflict with the Haunted House lot type. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#187 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 8:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by icecold0913
Hi @no12, will you be updating this mod for the Paranormal Patch? It does seem to conflict with the Haunted House lot type. Thanks!

Do you have my other mod, Better Seasonal Changes? I think it's that one that's conflicting, just wanted to check.
Test Subject
#188 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 10:51 PM
Do you have my other mod, Better Seasonal Changes? I think it's that one that's conflicting, just wanted to check.

Yes, I will try the game with the updated Better Seasonal Changes. Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#189 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 2:02 AM
AAAAAAAA OMG Weather Realism Overhaul 2.0 in your plans i caaant wait!!! Thank you this is my favourite mod!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#190 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by icecold0913
Yes, I will try the game with the updated Better Seasonal Changes. Thanks!

UPDATE: It works! Thanks so much for the clarification.
Lab Assistant
#191 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 1:56 AM
The weather always stays sunny and warm, even if it is supposed to be something else like rain or cloudy or windy. I did the Callender change, but it still has the same weather. All day, every day.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#192 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ClearaMorph
The weather always stays sunny and warm, even if it is supposed to be something else like rain or cloudy or windy. I did the Callender change, but it still has the same weather. All day, every day.

I don't even know what could cause that. Are you using any mods that could conflict with mine?
Lab Assistant
#193 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 12:28 AM
Hi there! Thank you for one of the greatest mods for The Sims 4. Is it compatible with the latest patch? (1.75)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#194 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 1:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AN_Gel
Hi there! Thank you for one of the greatest mods for The Sims 4. Is it compatible with the latest patch? (1.75)

I've been very busy these past few months, so I haven't tested it, but looking at the patch notes it should be fine.
Test Subject
#195 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 4:13 AM Last edited by Celticgamer0 : 22nd Jun 2021 at 3:53 PM. Reason: Added image for clarity
It keeps snowing in Willow Creek during the summer and, according to the calendar it's scheduled to do it every day until fall... It just started doing this today. I reinstalled the mod, did the debug with the weather option, and worked for about a sim day before reverting to freezing temperatures and snow... It began soon after turning the house into a haunted house.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#196 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Celticgamer0
It keeps snowing in Willow Creek during the summer and, according to the calendar it's scheduled to do it every day until fall... It just started doing this today. I reinstalled the mod, did the debug with the weather option, and worked for about a sim day before reverting to freezing temperatures and snow... It began soon after turning the house into a haunted house.

Alright, that seems pretty bad. Do you have any other mods that affect anything remotely similar? And before you turned the house into a haunted house, did it still show snow on the calendar forecast? I'll try to check, but as I'm working on 2.0 right now it might be difficult.
Test Subject
#197 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 3:10 AM Last edited by Celticgamer0 : 23rd Jun 2021 at 4:06 AM.
Alright, that seems pretty bad. Do you have any other mods that affect anything remotely similar? And before you turned the house into a haunted house, did it still show snow on the calendar forecast? I'll try to check, but as I'm working on 2.0 right now it might be difficult.

I don't have any mods that affect weather, but I do have one that adds venues. Not the one mentioned above in an earlier post, however. I use your seasonal mod as well. Before turning the house haunted everything seemed normal in the sense I did not notice any issues, but removing the haunted house trait did not fix the issue either.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#198 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 9:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Celticgamer0
I don't have any mods that affect weather, but I do have one that adds venues. Not the one mentioned above in an earlier post, however. I use your seasonal mod as well. Before turning the house haunted everything seemed normal in the sense I did not notice any issues, but removing the haunted house trait did not fix the issue either.

Alright, I guess this means the mod will need some re-testing, which unfortunately is more than what I can do right now. I will mark the mod as unstable for now, and fix it with the next expansion. So sorry for this.
Test Subject
#199 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 3:52 PM
Alright, I guess this means the mod will need some re-testing, which unfortunately is more than what I can do right now. I will mark the mod as unstable for now, and fix it with the next expansion. So sorry for this.

Don't be. You do great work. Thank you for the opportunity to play your mod.
Lab Assistant
#200 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 2:24 AM
Still a great mod I can't play without!

Any plans to update the mod for the new Expansion Pack? Or do you prefer to release that with version 2.0 of the mod (if that is still in the pipeline)
Page 8 of 14