Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#126 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:27 PM
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 8:38 AM
I did back up my whole electronic arts folder. But when I put it back in it corrupted my games.

I have it working now though!! Thank you!!

If you like Sims stuff, I have some videos on YouTube?
@LordCrumps
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#128 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 7:41 PM Last edited by Arisuka : 22nd Feb 2012 at 8:23 PM.
*breathes heavily while marveling at the SUPER-CAW* Oh-My-Loooord... This... This has absolutely everything I've ever hoped to be possible! No more tedious going back and forward with complicated steps to get a single effect or a pond into a world...! How can this be, ah this is just too good!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this discovery and such a simple, easy tutorial! You guys are effing heroes. :lovestruc

edit: OMG you can have EVERY SINGLE EFFECT from the game in your CAW?! I'm seriously tempted to give my world constant rain or snow now, it looks so amazing!
Test Subject
#129 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 5:31 PM
Thank you for this!

Just an fyi: On the ILSpy download page, there are two versions. I first downloaded the newer version and could not get the patch to complete, no matter how I tried with compatibilty, run as admin, etc. I went back and got the older version and it worked flawlessly. Not sure it affected anything, I am running Win 7 x64, I set all .exes to copy yours=set to compatibilty Win XP SP 3 and run as admin.

I understand I'm an idiot.... I am not familiar with CAW at all and I only want it for one thing (so far) which is I want different vacation spots! (Stupid of EA to limit these! I suppose there is a reason, but knowing EA it probably has more to do with them wanting to sell vacation spots in future rather than the software not being able to handle more!) Now my question : I can't find the World Desription box at all. A finger pointing the way, please?

Edit: Yes, I've been thru all the tabs and I see in your description where it is supposed to be only I can't find it. I'm looking in the wrong spot? I've looked in all tabs though. The pond tool is there, so I know the patch worked.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#130 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChildLike
I understand I'm an idiot.... I am not familiar with CAW at all and I only want it for one thing (so far) which is I want different vacation spots! (Stupid of EA to limit these! I suppose there is a reason, but knowing EA it probably has more to do with them wanting to sell vacation spots in future rather than the software not being able to handle more!) Now my question : I can't find the World Desription box at all. A finger pointing the way, please?

Edit: Yes, I've been thru all the tabs and I see in your description where it is supposed to be only I can't find it. I'm looking in the wrong spot? I've looked in all tabs though. The pond tool is there, so I know the patch worked.
Linked on the sticky threads on the CAW forum And in almost every CAW start to finish tut there are http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ying_Your_World
Test Subject
#131 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 5:46 PM
Thank you! :p
Retired
retired moderator
#132 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 4:02 PM
I saw an interesting Twitter exchange with SimGuruGraham about these tools that I think needs sharing in this thread:

Quote:
.@martys_15 I won't claim that I know specific reasons why all those were left out of the public version of the software; I wasn't involved in its release. I do know that at least some of those features are essentially abandoned pieces of the tool that we've identified issues with and don't use internally. For example, the world pond tool is something we will not use when creating worlds, it has known problems internally. Others I would assume are locked for stability or performance reasons, and are values that we tend to not alter when we create worlds either. I can definitely say that we don't have plans to update CAW with additional features though; and I'd caution use of any unlocked features through fan-made patches as a "use at your own risk" type situation. RT @martys_15 @SimGuruGraham New link: http://t.co/g1khC6gd to make these hidden Features of CAW software has been unlocked in the next version of CAW.

So basically, we should watch carefully for issues with the Pond Tool, and perhaps those of you who were making custom water planes should investigate. He did not give any information about *what* was wrong with the water planes from the Pond Tool. MTS should probably also, for the time being, require a disclaimer on uploaded worlds made with the unlocked tools.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#133 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 9:38 PM
He may be referring either to the fact that the pond tool isn't very easy to use (it requires certain kind of terrain sculpt and careful placement, you can't just place it anywhere) OR that there are some issues resulting from ponds created with the tool. And from his answer, it's hard to determine which one he meant, it's quite an vague answer...

I have hard time believing that the ponds themselves would cause issues, considering that EA worlds have ponds. I don't see how the method through which they are made would cause issues... but I don't know technical stuff at all, so I'll leave this to somebody who does!
Retired
retired moderator
#134 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 9:40 PM
That's how I feel as well. It's his use of the word "internally" that bothers me - "problems internally" is a very ominous pairing of words.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#135 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 11:50 PM
Thanks for the info, ChildLike! On my tutorial I do specify to download the 1.0 version of ILSpy, so hopefully people will download the right one. Thanks for letting us know!

kiwi_tea- Perhaps the water planes generated by the pond tool are slightly different to the EA world planes? I think Zaide_Chris or SandrineD would have to look at that for us! The EA planes, such as those in Twinbrook and Bridgeport, are of a specific size as are the ones generated by our water plane tools. The planes made with the pond tool however, will go to the extent of the buildable world unless intersected by terrain, so possibly they are formulated differently.
Test Subject
#136 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 1:27 AM
hello

i got a lil question i saw when i wanna export my world using this modified CAW that i can label it VACATION. so i thought i just try it out..and made a small caribian island..labelt it VACATION and then exported it. i could install it. so now i dont see this town in the main options so i went to sunset valley and checked there if i can se eit as Vacation spot..but i cant find it..not in edit town (where i see the normal 3 vacation spots)..and also not when i try to travel with my sim..still only have the normal 3 choices. does this mean i still have to use the traveler mod if i want my island as a vacation spot? i thought this CAW modified would help me so i would not need this mod anymore.

has someone else tested this??
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#137 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 1:47 AM
Sinfonia- see here for the implications of flagging your world as a vacation destination:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=424374
You are correct that it will not show up in the list of available worlds, it will not show up as a vacation world either unless you make a default replacement for the EA destinations! You need to undo that to have a usable world.

It is possible to make a default override for the EA vacation destinations, but a better way to have many more vacation worlds is to install Traveler Mod:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler

You can 'unflag' your world either by manually editing the UNKN 0x296A6258 resource, or editing it in CAW again and removing the vacation flag.
Retired
retired moderator
#138 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 7:22 AM
Yes, NRaas Traveller mod makes custom vacation worlds appear, but *only* in the travel window and not in the new neighbourhood drop-down which is nifty in its way if your world is built to be a "somewhere else".

Top Secret Researcher
#139 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 12:41 AM Last edited by Margaret Pendragon : 1st Mar 2012 at 4:08 AM.
sigh....No Worky! I'm getting the same error already mentioned several times in this thread.

However I did realize my Sims 3 is installed under Origin Games folder, and CAW is under Electronic Arts folder. I'm going to try reinstalling it to the the same folder as my Sims games. Will be back to edit with more info / updates later (hopefully sooner).

EDIT 1: Ok, I am now safely past that step! Aside from not having CAW in the same folder as my Sims installs, I realized I'd also downloaded a version of ILSpy other than what was specified in the tutorial. I did NOT need to use the ILSpy Difference patch. The two corrections I made were to install CAW into the same folder as my Sims 3, which was in an Origins Download folder, and to use the earlier version of ILSpy. On to the next step...

EDIT 2: holy crap, look at all these effects!!

P.S. You may want to move the part about how to make the desktop executable shortcut, from the end of the features section to the end of the tutorial section. I didn't read that far at first, and was silly enough to ask my husband the electronics engineer how to do it, which almost put me to sleep :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#140 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 2:14 PM
Well done for getting it working, Margaret Pendragon!

Thanks for the tip about changing the article, were you people never taught to read ALL of the instructions?

Didn't you ever have to do that exam at school, the one where the first thing says 'Step 1: Read ALL instructions through carefully before beginning!', proceeds with things like, 'Step 2: Shout 'I am a DONKEY'', 'Step 3: Write your name down and hold the paper up above your head for 10 seconds,' and ends with, 'Step 45: Now you have read this through, do nothing'?
Top Secret Researcher
#141 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Well done for getting it working, Margaret Pendragon!

Thanks for the tip about changing the article, were you people never taught to read ALL of the instructions?

Didn't you ever have to do that exam at school, the one where the first thing says 'Step 1: Read ALL instructions through carefully before beginning!', proceeds with things like, 'Step 2: Shout 'I am a DONKEY'', 'Step 3: Write your name down and hold the paper up above your head for 10 seconds,' and ends with, 'Step 45: Now you have read this through, do nothing'?

lol--yes, I remember that quiz, and you can guess how I fared

Oh well, I eventually did find it! When I saw 'features' I thought that was the end of the instructions
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#142 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 4:41 PM
I put the bit about the shortcut in a separate section, so it's listed in the index. I wanted to keep it in that order as of course, when you debug it opens SuperCAW immediately, so most people would be busy playing with that before thinking about making a shortcut. Do you think it reads better now?
Test Subject
#143 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 4:56 PM
doesnt work now with the new patch (Community/social features, march 2nd)

how can i fix it? should i just download the new CAW version and repatch?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#144 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 6:48 PM
Daniel1989- as stated in the tutorial, this is for version 1.13.7 of CAW.

If EA have released a new version of CAW today to match the game patch, then this will not work.

You need CAW varsion 1.13.7 for this to function.
Test Subject
#145 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 8:41 PM
Daniel1989- as stated in the tutorial, this is for version 1.13.7 of CAW.

If EA have released a new version of CAW today to match the game patch, then this will not work.

You need CAW varsion 1.13.7 for this to function.

thanks, so will you guys update this supercaw patch to the current game version (and caw version) in future or do i have to play with a old game version (and caw version) to have these supercaw features?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#146 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 11:24 PM
I believe atavera is planning to update, you'll just have to check back at a later date.
Top Secret Researcher
#147 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 6:33 AM
I put the bit about the shortcut in a separate section, so it's listed in the index. I wanted to keep it in that order as of course, when you debug it opens SuperCAW immediately, so most people would be busy playing with that before thinking about making a shortcut. Do you think it reads better now?

Yes

I believe atavera is planning to update, you'll just have to check back at a later date.

Sweet! I was tempted to install the game update when I saw the social features, but, I'm allllllllmost done with my world and I just knew something would go wrong and don't want any interruptions at this point. Game updates have a tendency to wreak havoc
Test Subject
#148 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 11:37 PM
oh great, it still works with brandnew CAW 1.16 without any update
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#149 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 2:12 AM
For me the patch doesn't work if I try to apply it to the new version of CAW.

The old patched executable I made still works though, if I use it with my new install of CAW 1.16.
Instructor
#150 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 1:55 AM
Thanks to all who discovered this and made the tutorial. Works like a charm! Can't wait to play with it.
Page 6 of 15