Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

HQ Mod Switch

by jwofles Posted 15th Jun 2019 at 8:45 PM - Updated 5th Sep 2022 at 2:01 AM by jwofles

58 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 39 Feedback Posts, 18 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 12:19 PM
This replaces a game file, so if people don't back up the .sgr file first, and then decide to uninstall this mod, they don't have the original any more and must re-install the game. You should mention in your description that it not only replaces the file but that people should back up the original .sgr somewhere
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xordevoreaux
This replaces a game file, so if people don't back up the .sgr file first, and then decide to uninstall this mod, they don't have the original any more and must re-install the game. You should mention in your description that it not only replaces the file but that people should back up the original .sgr somewhere

I mentioned it further down but I've added a warning at the top, thanks
I would like to think that fixing the game thru origin restores the original file but I didn't test it, so it's better to be safe than sorry.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#4 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 6:22 PM
wow, this is pretty handy!! Nice work jwofles
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 7:16 PM
I play on a Mac. will this work for me? Where is the "Bin" file?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 7:18 PM
may I ask what skin your sim is using? she's lovely!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackPiano
I play on a Mac. will this work for me? Where is the "Bin" file?

Hi, I dont have the game installed on Mac so I don't know where the file is. Try showing the package contents of origin and looking for sims 4 in there maybe?

Quote: Originally posted by Ryoichui
may I ask what skin your sim is using? she's lovely!

sms3melancholic's 'magda' skin.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 10:05 PM
at what part of the instruction on alf-si should we start to follow 2.3 right
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jun 2019 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lataya25
at what part of the instruction on alf-si should we start to follow 2.3 right

yea :-)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 6:33 PM
do you know if this mod works with island life? it looks really cool!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 6:54 PM
hey what eyelashes are those?
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 9:06 PM
This doesn't seem to be working with Island Living.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 2:22 AM
Can someone make and updated Youtube video on how to use HQ ?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 4:05 PM
SUPERB!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tsubasa1hiroge
do you know if this mod works with island life? it looks really cool!
Quote: Originally posted by TheWiseSimmer
This doesn't seem to be working with Island Living.
Try reinstalling the graphicsrule.sgr file, it works fine for me.

Quote: Originally posted by Tsubasa1hiroge
hey what eyelashes are those?
I used the kijiko v2 hq uncurled lashes which you can find here

Quote: Originally posted by robyo1987
Can someone make and updated Youtube video on how to use HQ ?
After installing this mod, you just need install EA HQ textures from alfi-si, and then use HQ-compatible cc. This vid may help you.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#16 Old 30th Jun 2019 at 1:22 PM
Somehow i can not place the graphicrules.sgr file to the game/bin. Always jumps up a window, that is not working. The System not find the file. Why is this not working by me and by others yes?

Edit: I figured it out, now it is in the game/bin.
Test Subject
#17 Old 4th Jul 2019 at 1:34 AM
Do you intend to upgrade? every time I enable the mod in the settings, and left and re-enter the game, I have to enable again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Jul 2019 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thiagomichel
Do you intend to upgrade? every time I enable the mod in the settings, and left and re-enter the game, I have to enable again.

Yeah that's one of the known issues, I'm not sure how to fix it but I'll look into it
Test Subject
#19 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 2:55 AM
I don't even have a game/bin location? I'm not sure what I'm looking for at this point. Help
Test Subject
#20 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 4:00 PM
I have added the two files in the correct place and now have completly black sims so i take it the Hq mod was added? But there is no on off switch in the graphics section? Im just downloading the hq textures but were do I put them can some one help? best
wishes steve ;-)
Test Subject
#21 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 12:25 AM
Default Mod
I added your mod then saw problems in my career tab and I tried to delete it but the tab is still messed up & one of my characters is still black after I deleted the other portion of the mod. What should I do?
Test Subject
#22 Old 4th Aug 2019 at 12:13 PM
@jwofles Will you please have a look at the issues I am experiencing with the HQ mod? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical...8071981#M147823 and possibly consider updating it to be compatible with the July update?
Test Subject
#23 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 7:14 AM
There is a problem with this mods GraphicsRules.sgr file. I don't know what exactly it is, but using that file EVEN without the package file cause a bug. It causes graphical glitches, a very noticeable one a checkered light pattern appearing on sims.

You can test it with the garter in this file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/itnld...Problem.7z/file
Its found in accessories > Bracelets and is modeled in the above pic, causing the checkered light overlay.

Changing the GraphicsRules.sgr FROM the one in this mod to the DEFAULT version (updated with the 2 changes instructed when you 1st install the HQ Mod) fixes the bug.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by black_queen
I don't even have a game/bin location? I'm not sure what I'm looking for at this point. Help
This is the path where the file needs to go is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\" (Your origin games may be in a different location depending on if you've picked a custom installation when installing the game).

Quote: Originally posted by stevieboy1977
I have added the two files in the correct place and now have completly black sims so i take it the Hq mod was added? But there is no on off switch in the graphics section? Im just downloading the hq textures but were do I put them can some one help? best
wishes steve ;-)
Yes that means it's installed. Check the screenshots in this post to see where the option to turn it on/off is. You download the HQ textures and place them in your mods folder (in documents).

Quote: Originally posted by Rheabirthingham
I added your mod then saw problems in my career tab and I tried to delete it but the tab is still messed up & one of my characters is still black after I deleted the other portion of the mod. What should I do?
You need to change your 'Sims' graphics option and then click apply and it should fix it or if you still have this mod, turn off HQ using the switch.

Quote: Originally posted by oLadyPenguin
@jwofles Will you please have a look at the issues I am experiencing with the HQ mod? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical...8071981#M147823 and possibly consider updating it to be compatible with the July update?
My game doesn't crash when I go to the pets in CAS, so I'm not sure what's going on in your game :/ And to fix the black textures you need to download the HQ textures from alf-si.

Quote: Originally posted by Dwjlien
There is a problem with this mods GraphicsRules.sgr file. I don't know what exactly it is, but using that file EVEN without the package file cause a bug. It causes graphical glitches, a very noticeable one a checkered light pattern appearing on sims.
https://imgtc.ws/i/JfKXYxT.png
You can test it with the garter in this file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/itnld...Problem.7z/file
Its found in accessories > Bracelets and is modeled in the above pic, causing the checkered light overlay.

Changing the GraphicsRules.sgr FROM the one in this mod to the DEFAULT version (updated with the 2 changes instructed when you 1st install the HQ Mod) fixes the bug.
I tried this CC in my game it worked fine, so I'm not sure what the problem you're having is. Try redownloading the mod.

Even though I believe the mod was compatible, I have done a minor update including some lines included in newer versions of the graphicsrules.sgr file. If you're still having issues try downloading the new version. And sorry for the late replies!!
Test Subject
#25 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 12:07 PM
Hey!

This mod really is a blessing! I'm playing in full HQ but for testing new CC in the game, it's really helpful to be able to switch between HQ on/off without restarting. Thank you so much!

I have one small issue that I want to report here: When you have the HQ-option on when you close the game, the mod seems to remember that setting, but the game still starts without displaying HQ the next time (although the settings state that it is switched on still). In that case, you need to turn HQ off and back on again and only then the game displays HQ graphics.
Page 1 of 3