Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2011 at 2:00 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 6th Jan 2012 at 9:47 PM.
Default The "moveobjects" Cheat Guide for Decoration (and Possibly Building + Other Stuff)
Hello everyone, this is just a spin off of the older thread "1001 Building Tips...", this thread will be a guide only for the cheat: moveobjects
remember to number every single instruction and include pictures (remember, the limit is 4 pics per post) for ease of understanding, starting with me:

Narrow bathrooms: place a toilet next to a half wall to prevent traffic congestion, as shown in the pictures:

Three-windowed curtains:

now, what are your ideas?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 31st Dec 2011 at 5:47 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 31st Dec 2011 at 7:43 PM.
let me just another thing from what i have then:

the two-story chandelier that came with M&G only has six branches and i was confused in which way to place the it since it would form a hexagon so this is what i did:

the result would be:

it now has 12 branches but is in the form of an "equally-shaped" object

We all know of the issue were you place a ceiling light outside the house infront of a door and the door would get stuck, however, if you place a wall lamp and move it up the wall (as shown in the pic, a feature that came with AL EP) the door doesnt get stuck open and works fine, this had been tested before and works just fine.

if no one replies after some time, i hope the admin and mods would let me post a third post, i have a lot on my mind right now.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 4:05 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 3rd Jan 2012 at 6:51 PM.

Long plain mirrors came with Uni EP, and ballet bars came with free time, where both can be placed on walls, however, you cant place the bar on top of the mirror, but with cheat turned on, you can:

in real-life, there are ballet halls that have mirrors and bars on the same wall, ive seen them in movies.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
Long plain mirrors came with Uni EP, and ballet bars came with free time, where both can be placed on walls, however, you cant place the bar on top of the mirror, but with cheat turned on, you can:

I always did this with the barre, too. My daughter took ballet for years. You have to have mirrors.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 4:08 AM
The toilet thing is actually a good idea.. I don't think I've ever thought of that.

ENTJ
Banned
#6 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 4:29 AM
You can also attach the barre to the mirror by pressing "CTRL" and placing it... on the mirror. You can actually do that for a lot of things, place wall hangings on doors, place wall hangings on windows, etc, etc.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 4:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 5M0K3
You can also attach the barre to the mirror by pressing "CTRL" and placing it... on the mirror. You can actually do that for a lot of things, place wall hangings on doors, place wall hangings on windows, etc, etc.

I think it's Ctrl and Alt together.

M.M.A.A., I like the wall-mounted lamp over the door.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 4:13 PM
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 4:46 PM
I'm always using move objects to put that one light over the bathroom mirror. Plus the AL height adjustment tool so it doesn't intersect. Can't think of the light's name, but that one wall-mounted with four or so bulbs. Or a couple cc lights I have that look correct there.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 6:58 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 5th Jan 2012 at 7:18 PM.

with moveobjects on, you can place stairs and spirals on the same squares as arcs:

in order to do this, first place the arc, turn the cheat on, then place the stairs, then turn the cheat off if you want to. this doesnt cause routing problems
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#11 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
I think it's Ctrl and Alt together.

Yeah I learned about that in my Apartment Life guide. It's a real small blip in the book but talks about using the height adjusters and then hitting ctrl+alt to allow a second object to be placed in the same space as another. Makes decorating with posters in a teen room fun. I can make walls look cluttered this way.

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 10:21 PM
I like what was done with those curtains and the 3-tile window.

I have to turn move objects on whenever I put connecting stairs along a wall. Don't know why that is...but as long as it works....
Theorist
#13 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 12:49 AM
How do you move the lamp higher on the wall? I've never heard of this possibility.

A very useful topic, thanx.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 3:19 AM
With AL, you use the bracket keys. Most things that go on walls are height adjustable, but not all.
Test Subject
#15 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 3:55 AM
I use moveobjects also to place smoke alarms over stoves if I put something else there, too--usually a sprinkler and sometimes also a hanging pot rack or even a window. I need them all in the same square and I'm more stubborn than they are.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 2:01 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 6th Jan 2012 at 10:07 PM.
and just to let you guys know, not all wall lamps reach to the same height as shown in the picture, some of them will be on the door even if raised up the wall.

@Babahara: Your welcome
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Jan 2012 at 9:27 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 6th Jan 2012 at 10:05 PM.

(as previously mentioned in older threads) there is a glitch in M&G where you cant place modular stairs near walls, a solution to the problem would be to urn on the cheat, place the stairs, and turn it of if you want to.

one of the columns in the BG is as shown below on the left, i was confused on how to place, i.e. i had a similar situation to that of the Chandelier above, so the turn on the cheat, place one column vertically and on horizontally on the same square (forming a plus-like (+) sign) and the result would be the one on the right in pics:

and now, i wont have to worry about how i am supposed to place it.

(sorry if the pics are not clear, they were taken at dawn )

you may have noticed that i edited the title and added "+ Other Stuff", this is because i have other stuff on my mind for story purposes.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 7th Jan 2012 at 12:44 PM

If you get a sim to do the serenade interaction, then turn on the cheat, move one sims to a balcony and the other down on the ground, as shown below:

the result would be:

:lovestruc

this is great for storytelling purposes and for plays
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th Jan 2012 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lavaster
The toilet thing is actually a good idea.. I don't think I've ever thought of that.

the toilet thing was actually something i saw that was similar at a relative's house.

its good that you like it
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 9:37 PM
just something that i should've added a long time ago:

Corner-ed windows curtains:

The street light that came with the base game looked the one infront, put another one with the cheat turned on and now you have a perfect plus shaped (+) light (in the rear):

this also works for the other light that came with M&G.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Jan 2012 at 12:54 PM

Chinese Lanterns (or any other fence-lights) can be placed (with moveobjects on) on the ground which creates a great lighting for a path too:

Screenshots
Instructor
#22 Old 26th Jan 2012 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
With AL, you use the bracket keys. Most things that go on walls are height adjustable, but not all.

There is a mod over at MATY that makes many other things shiftable. ("Shiftable signs, paintings, and photos" in the Peasantry.)
Mad Poster
#23 Old 26th Jan 2012 at 8:12 PM
I've always moved the fence lights onto the ground-but you can also use the cheat to move the street lamps to the edge of the street (which they should be on, anyway) and also across the street-which is the edge of the lot-lighting up both sides of the street.

Combining the street lights to make a many sided streetlight is also a cool thing to do with the cheat.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 27th Jan 2012 at 1:48 PM
Curtains and blinds on the same window! I particularly like doing this in bathrooms with full-size windows - curtains don't cover enough and blinds look sad and boring on their own:

(shown here with eletrodj's CurtainBlinds SuperSET and Holy Simoly's Simply Elegant curtains)

And all the Naaru say I'm pretty fly for a Draenei!
LiveJournal - Tumblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 28th Jan 2012 at 3:13 PM

Circular Carpets can be placed near a diagonal wall as shown:

the result would be:

it fits perfectly and there are no routing problems between the chairs and the diagonal wall.
Screenshots
Page 1 of 3