Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 12:08 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Getting the roofs right for a church
Hi everyone,

I want to make church appartments within the building style of my area, which includes a kind of "rounded" church back. Apparently, the Sims 2 is not made for that.

The only roof that I found which fitted the back, was the eight-angled roof, but apparently it only goes in one height: this is the lowest one of them. I thought I'd just go with it, and find the matching height for the roof covering the body of the church. I found that height, but it's not good enough:
- The roof covering the body is too high: you can see the top sticking out behind the tower.
- The roof covering the body clips with the eight-angled roof: the end of the body-covering roof and the point of the eight-angled roof aren't placed on the same point.
- While on the 'sunny side' of the church the transition between the two roofs seems okay, it does not on the 'shadow side'.
- (Probably not solveable: ) The body-covering roof sticks "out of the tower" in a really ugly manner I had to make the roof one tile wider than the building in order to match the width of the eight-angled roof, so that of course doesn't help.

So: does anyone have any inspiration on how to solve my roof problem? I already tried placing multiple separate roofs at the back, but that really doesn't improve things. Or I did that wrong of course.

Thanks! :P
Screenshots
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 9:41 PM
Like I said on the other thread, if you can provide larger (screenshots) closer pictures of each roof by itself.

Why are you using the slope roof cheat when you have the slope roof tool? -Your profile says you have all EP's.

Your building is very large, does it need to be so large? This is part of the problem.

You do need less slope. The one on the end might be better done like a castle.
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 5:20 PM
I might indeed finish it off in another way, unfortunately. It's a shame because I like the rounded backs, but I prefer a nicely finished church... >.<

The roofslopeangle cheat works for me, though the slider does not - I have no idea why. However, both the slider and the cheat don't affect the eight-angled roof, which only seems to come with one height. The reason I use the individualroofslopeangle cheat is because the pointy roof on top of the tower uses a far larger angle than the rest, and the two lower roofs (which in the screenshot were one tile off :')) do as well.

In principle, the building kind of needs to be large: I want to make four appartments out of it (I have seen some real-life examples of churches that were no longer used which have been renovated into homes). I already tried to divide the available space, and there really isn't a lot of it I don't know what you mean by large (length/width/height/whole building), but I could try narrowing the body, so I would not be handling a 10x10 roof, but a smaller - and therefore lower - one.

I really appreciate your help I will post new screenshots within this reply soon (and this time I hope I'll get them right ;x).
(And sorry for the newbish action of making two threads... I tried to find the 'move thread' button, which I only found when I already created this thread and went looking for the 'delete thread' button which I didn't find And then I decided it was probably best for all if I'd stop hitting buttons )
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 7:09 PM
When using the slider, make sure you enter the number in the space, then hit the enter key, then click the roof. And it does work on that roof. Maybe try making that octagonal room a bit smaller so the roof is smaller than the other gabled roofs. ie: https://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=5204.0