Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 12:20 AM Last edited by NeyaQueenofBacon : 28th Mar 2009 at 2:24 AM.
Default GMDC ... gone missing? (solved)
Hello,

Well I decided to pickup mesh making now that I finally have a 3D program. I read every tutorial about extracting/exporting the GMDC after cloning. Only one problem... neither GMDC or GUID are listed in the file types. Oh and I uninstalled SimPE, reinstalled, checked all the plugins, and even tried again with a different cloned object. Same problem on every single object. I am not sure what is wrong. Its not my game because I haven't messed with those files in over a year or am I missing the easiest step out there? Please help.

Thank you.

Neya
Screenshots

Wish ants would stop dying in my computer screen.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 12:52 AM Last edited by SimArchitect : 26th Mar 2009 at 1:07 AM.
There is not one listed GUID. The GUID is in the OBJD file.

What objects did you clone?

I believe there is a fix for this, but first I need to know what object/s you have cloned to remesh? lol

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimArchitect
There is not one listed GUID. The GUID is in the OBJD file.

What objects did you clone?

I believe there is a fix for this, but first I need to know what object/s you have cloned to remesh? lol

I cloned the Parrot and the Parrot cage from sims pets. When those were missing then I cloned a bush, dog bowl, and bag of cookies I think. Same problem on all of them.

Field Researcher
#4 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NeyaQueenofBacon
I cloned the Parrot and the Parrot cage from sims pets. When those were missing then I cloned a bush, dog bowl, and bag of cookies I think. Same problem on all of them.

Sometimes odd things like the parrot or a bag of cookies wont show up because of one reason or another. A bush and the dog bowl should have???

You have made for sure sure that you have ALL the correct plugins.

Have you done a check?
Close Simpe, then open it again?
Uninstall, then reinstall?

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 1:25 AM
I've reinstalled it twice and opened multiple times. I can reinstall it again.

Field Researcher
#6 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 1:30 AM
I've reinstalled it twice and opened multiple times. I can reinstall it again.

You might want to look around for support at the SimPE website, as I will do the same.

Let me see what I can find.

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 1:38 AM
Reinstalled SimPE and same result. There is one thing I notice when I am in Object Workshop. Many of the mini thumbnails have no pictures but a red circle with an "X". This may not hold anything special other than there is no image. I've scanned the SimPE site earlier and only found old post with outdated versions about where to find it. I will check again though.

Field Researcher
#8 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 1:50 AM
Many of the mini thumbnails have no pictures but a red circle with an "X". This may not hold anything special other than there is no image. I've scanned the SimPE site earlier and only found old post with outdated versions about where to find it. I will check again though.

Mine has the same issue. Its not really a problem, its just an annoyance.

The reason I believe is because the objects that have the red circle/x dont have the code to set the object up in a "thumbnail" enviroment. For example: Objects in your game have the little blue squares and the object appears in the center. Objects such as puddles, cookies, etc... are not buyable so it does not need a thumbnail image.

Also, when you uninstall Simpe, do you delete the folder from :C/My Programs/SimPE???

In other words, do you delete the foldered that is created when installing?

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 5:51 AM
Have you checked to make sure the EP you want to clone something from is ticked in the file table in preferences?

Those red x's appear for objects for EP's not checked to be read during object workshop, but it is reading the OBJD file from later EP's. And later EP's include the previous OBJD in the files, but not the meshes.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Have you checked to make sure the EP you want to clone something from is ticked in the file table in preferences?

Oh yeah I have checked. It has done it with me since day one. Im not bothered by it because I never even need to clone anything that has a red x.

Lol no biggy.

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 2:39 PM
Okay uninstalled, deleted the folder, reinstalled... same problem. Maybe I need to reinstall that GMDC plugin, I don't know where to find it though.

Oh and i do check the EPs I want to make clones in before I actually clone. Same red "X"s even in the original. :/

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#12 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 3:20 PM
I have no idea what the GMDC plugin is, I haven't installed anything other than SimPE and the M&G add-on.

When you change settings in preferences, you do have to restart SimPE for those changes to take effect.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 5:38 PM
I have no idea what the GMDC plugin is, I haven't installed anything other than SimPE and the M&G add-on.

The GMDC is already in SimPE when you install it. Its the part that enables you to make 3D meshes and import them into SimPE.

Maybe I need to reinstall that GMDC plugin, I don't know where to find it though.

I dont think you can. Umm, try cloning a common statue. (Like the one with no arms, "on a pedestal" something)

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimArchitect
The GMDC is already in SimPE when you install it. Its the part that enables you to make 3D meshes and import them into SimPE.

I dont think you can. Umm, try cloning a common statue. (Like the one with no arms, "on a pedestal" something)

I'll try to clone a statue after class. Strange that the GMDCs don't appear in SimPE but everything works fine in the game. If it doesn't work then it maybe something wrong with the game but I've left all of my CDs back home. I don't get back till sims 3 comes out :/

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#15 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 7:13 PM
Maybe your checking the wrong boxes, while cloning? There is a small text link below the start when you clone, saying "set defaults". Maybe your checking the reference original mesh so it is not including the mesh for you. If your getting red x's for some standard game items or not getting the meshes included, then more than likely it's your SimPE setup incorrectly.

In your system preferences, make sure that it is pointing to the correct folders of your installation of your game.

In the file table make sure the box is checked for the EP you want to clone something from, notice mine currently has all. You do need to restart SimPE for this to take effect.

See the text link for setting defaults? I currently have all unchecked, but if you click this link it well check the defaults needed for cloning.

And your object workshop should show pictures of any EP's you have installed. Key word is installed. Just pointing to the TSData folders from an EP copied to your computer won't show thumbs and will show red x's.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#16 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 8:00 PM
red x's.

I believe that all of hers show, just as mine do. The only ones that dont are the odd ones in th unknown catagory.

For Example:

Screenshots

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 8:30 PM Last edited by NeyaQueenofBacon : 26th Mar 2009 at 10:17 PM.
I check the right boxes in preferences and in the cloning process. The Unknowns are the ones with the X circles of death. Oddly when I do clone the womrat and bird cage under general they have images but no GMDC. All of my games are fully installed. I have all of the objects appearing in the game and no blue squares of "missing information" currently present.

EDIT: I did the preferences and set the defaults on cloning. Then I cloned the armless sculpture and... still no go. Yes I have all of the EPs installed as it says in SimPE. Gaaah this is driving me nuts!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 3:25 PM
Well I think I stumped the techs. at SimPE too because my post there has had some views but no responses yet. I am just at a loss of what is happening I really really wanted to make an Archaeopteryx and share it here. go figure when I finally have a 3D program this stupid bug pops up.

Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#19 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 5:03 PM
Can you join your package to your message?

Sorry I can't take requests anymore!
And I will probably never convert my creations for TS2 to TS3.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#20 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 7:19 PM
Actually you haven't "stumped the techs", we're waiting for a reply to the question I asked.

If you cloned something with a red x, it means you either haven't looked at it in-game yet, so it hasn't generated a thumbnail, or you actually chose the wrong object to clone.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 8:07 PM Last edited by NeyaQueenofBacon : 27th Mar 2009 at 8:51 PM.
The object works in game that I've tried to clone. Whats weird is once I updated SimPE some objects lost their thumbnail but still work in game.

EDIT: For some reason my download folder no longer appears in my EA folder. I can't put my new cloned SimPE objects there to test in game. What is puzzling is that my old download CC still shows up in the game but I can't download anything new.

I am having so many problems I may just reninstall my entire game.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 2:23 AM
Well I uninstalled my entire game and SimPE, loaded them both up and tried cloning again....... same result. Opened an old cloned object and it had a GMDC so I cloned the same object in SimPE and no GMDC. Okay I go to clone a grill 2-3 times no GMDC but here is where something strange happens. The last time I clone the grill I decide to hit the scroll button and hit recolor just to check it out. Then I changed it back to clone and did everything else the same. Meraciously there was a GMDC! O.O Tested again without changing the little pull down optition bar and no GMDC when I clone. Appearently SimPE will only add the GMDC when I change from Clone > Recolor > Clone. Odd and yet I feel so stupid. Sorry to waste your time on this and thank you for your help.

Sometimes computers hate me :/

Field Researcher
#23 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 4:19 AM
Well its good you figured it out! lol

Shitty that you had to reinstall everything!

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~