Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#126 Old 25th Jun 2020 at 8:17 PM
Disagreeing if fine, but I want to see those who disagree do some creating of over 100 + mods when patches break. Not to mention the hours spent on cleaning up tuning errors with mods because EA changes the text of codes. I barely play the game as much as I use to.

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#127 Old 25th Jun 2020 at 9:17 PM
I agree with the aspect of modding being like a job, and that if you want something done DIY. I don't mod TS4 much myself, I stick to 1/2/3, but I can't imagine TS4 mods being any better in the fact you have to update them whenever EA decides they need more money from Maxis. I'd get fatigued if I had to do that, so I can respect creators whom actually put the effort and time into updating them. I will say one thing that irritates me with TS4 modders is that they don't archive older versions of their mod for older game versions and/or reference points. Sometimes I like to tear mods apart and see what or how the creator achieved what they did, it helps me get a better understanding of each games mechanics.

DIY--I've been working on an audio overhaul mod for TS2 and there are aspects of it that I can't even wrap my head around. But I wanted improved audio so I can't wait around for someone else to do it, I gotta DIY.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
#128 Old 27th Jun 2020 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I agree with the aspect of modding being like a job, and that if you want something done DIY. I don't mod TS4 much myself, I stick to 1/2/3, but I can't imagine TS4 mods being any better in the fact you have to update them whenever EA decides they need more money from Maxis. I'd get fatigued if I had to do that, so I can respect creators whom actually put the effort and time into updating them. I will say one thing that irritates me with TS4 modders is that they don't archive older versions of their mod for older game versions and/or reference points. Sometimes I like to tear mods apart and see what or how the creator achieved what they did, it helps me get a better understanding of each games mechanics.

DIY--I've been working on an audio overhaul mod for TS2 and there are aspects of it that I can't even wrap my head around. But I wanted improved audio so I can't wait around for someone else to do it, I gotta DIY.

Thank you! I hope I am not being sassy because I am not but it's hard. Also hmm previous game version, I guess I delete them because if someone downloads it and is confused with the latest version. EA breaks the game quite often and changes text that leads to tuning errors. It's a pain!

Lab Assistant
#129 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims_Lover
Disagreeing if fine, but I want to see those who disagree do some creating of over 100 + mods when patches break. Not to mention the hours spent on cleaning up tuning errors with mods because EA changes the text of codes. I barely play the game as much as I use to.

I'm a software engineer by profession, and I additionally write code in my free time. When I upgrade software packages in any of my projects, I always have to be mindful if the API changes. And if it does, then I have to comb through the code to fix anything that's broken. It's something that comes with the territory. I put in the time to fix what broke and move on. Sometimes it takes only a few minutes because they renamed a function. Sometimes it can take days because the entire API has been restructured and classes/functions used previously don't exist in the same capacity any more.

And if you treat a hobby like a job, that's on you. At the end of the day, it's still a hobby. It's fine to want money for your effort, but you aren't entitled to it by any means. If you want to use Adfly or any shady link shortener, you are asking to be chastised. If you want to "lock" content behind a paywall, you are inviting criticism. There are various explanations in this thread as to why doing any of these things is not viewed favorably and why "paid content" ends up on sites like MustBeDestroyed (which is in fact legal).

Finally, no, you don't need to be a creator to criticize for anything. To suggest as such is silly, to be honest. If something doesn't work correctly or costs to much, then it doesn't work correctly or it costs too much. I do agree that a creator is under no obligation to fix or update anything. It's their time and effort. But that doesn't negate anyone's right to voice displeasure when something doesn't work as anticipated.
Field Researcher
#130 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 4:12 PM
It's simple as someone said above, it's not a hobby when the game breaks and you have to spend hours finding out what is broken. Some of us work, I am a graduate student and we have lives. it may be a hobby to some but it's not a hobby to all.

As for entitled the reason I adventured into modding was because I wanted to crate my own stuff and couldn't wait to request mods. If you want mods, then make them yourself it's simply put and I say that as kind as possible. Creators or others really do not owe anyone anything.

Scholar
#131 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 4:23 PM
It's up to the individual to make sure they don't release too many mods that they don't have time to update aswell. People don't automatically owe you anything because you decided to mod. It's not like people don't understand it takes time.
A lot of creators takes a lot of time updating and creating stuff, and 99% of people have no issue waiting at all. Very few are gods gift to modding. Just be honest and don't be too greedy, that's it basically.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Field Researcher
#132 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 5:19 PM
I agree that charging 20 something for a piece of hair is not something that should be done. I love to create, I take requests and yes I make lots and lots of mods. This convo is interesting.

Smeg Head
#133 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 6:31 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 29th Jun 2020 at 7:24 PM.
It'll be interesting to see how big a shift there is in the Sims modding community now that Steam has been thrown into the mix.

It's early days, and as far as I understand you still need Origin to be installed and active even if purchasing, installing and playing TS4 through Steam. I suppose that double-launcher-app hassle would only be worth it if the games are dirt cheap from Steam and your rig can handle running the game and both apps all at the same time.

But if it ever does take off, - perhaps Steam and Origin coming up with some single, hybrid app not hogging so much computer resources - and TS4 (TS5) do become a major thing on Steam, then what direction would Steam Workshop go with the Sims mods. When you look at games like Cities Skylines and the Steam Workshop mods for it, it's quite phenomenal. The ease at which to sub/unsub the mods and have them go straight into game. Getting patch updates as and when creators do them, no need to go searching for the updates over many websites month-in month-out. And the holy grail of wishful thinking, should it ever go that same way for TS4 (TS5) as Cities Skylines, and EA Maxis get more hands-on with modders as Paradox do, then the real money to be had would be to post all your creations on Steam Workshop hoping you get the same lucky pay day as some Cities modders and object creators do with Paradox. Few and far between, I know, but the gold rush would be on. But even if just keeping it at hobby level and doing it for the joy of it, Steam Workshop would still be the best way to go for you mods reaching your fanbase much quicker.

Not saying it would spell the end for all those paysites. Exclusivity will still count for something. But those less than admirable creators who charge big monies for unworthy gunk, Steam Workshop may indirectly see them off.

But what do you reckon our Sims' chances are on Steam, though eh? Has it even started Workshop mods for TS4 yet? (I know, why don't I just load up my Steam app and go take a look. Doh...)

Edit - Errr, nope. No Steam Workshop news as yet. Probably has to prove itself a consistent seller before they invest opening up a Workshop for it.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Top Secret Researcher
#134 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 9:18 PM
Well, this would be lovely, but I'll believe it when I see it - Sims 3 has been on Steam a long time, and no Steam Workshop for that, either.
Smeg Head
#135 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 6:13 AM
Yeah, it's probably too late in the day for TS3 and 4 for Steam to go building a Workshop around them. The modding community and games long established, too hard (financially unsound) for Steam to try and lure them in to their way of doing things. I was thinking more so for TS5, seeing as EA and Steam have buddied-up, then TS5 would be available from Steam on global release, and an entity Steam could build a Workshop for from the off.

When you think about other modded games, available from many outlets, and if, for instance, running a GoG version of that game, then getting mods that were made for the Steam version can be a pain, and vice versa. So I guess form that perspective, Steam would probably avoid a Workshop for TS3 and 4 given how well-established the modding community is outside of Steam. I mean, how easy is it to install mods for TS3 on Steam version - which would still be an Origin version all things considered. If exactly the same method to using mods, then why would Steam even bother with a Workshop so late in the day (Needlessly)? There's always customer/player demand that can help turn the tide, but 4 would have to become a terrific seller for Steam to think about it seriously.

But having a game from launch, such as TS5, that might be all Steam is really looking for to implement their mechanics of a mod Workshop from the get go, so that mods are not so interchangeable between who is supplying the game. Steam do like to have some sort of ownership, authority, whatever, over that aspect. Then again, even with TS5, it will still (probably) be Origin in collaboration with Steam, so probably the one method to use and install mods will be as universal as it always has been in the Sims franchise and with no wiggle room for Steam to make and supply a Workshop for Steam-only TS5 mods. That's not to say EA Origin and Steam won't come to some arrangement in the future over who can do what with mods. Mods are a massive selling point to this franchise, so I'm sure they'll have some talks regarding it.

But until then, it looks like paysites and some of those unscrupulous "creators" - I use the term loosely in regard to them - have nothing to worry about. Business as usual.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 10:04 AM
Just want to join in here and say I'm dog sick of the AdFly locked CC that's floating around for the Sims 4. Oddly enough the Sims 2 CC doesn't seem to have the same problem, which I would have figured to be an age thing maybe except a lot of CC is still made fresh without these annoying ad walls. Most of the time the links have expired to boot, or give me Security Certificate errors when trying to access. (Changing https to http in the address bar does the trick, though.) I think creators leaving a donate button and giving Simmers the choice to support them is much more friendly than outright demanding money, or adding these infuriating link blockers.

I've seen enough Captcha traffic lights to start running through irl ones on red, thank you.
Test Subject
#137 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 8:43 PM
If they restrict their creations behind paywalls and expect us to pay, then yes. Other creators I get CC from usually release their content within a few weeks.
Field Researcher
#138 Old 13th Jul 2020 at 3:35 PM Last edited by thesims1depot : 13th Jul 2020 at 5:06 PM.
Eh, let me see if I can weigh in on the debate.

On one hand, I understand the anger and frustration that some people may feel at some creators going over the top with paywalls and such. And I do feel that creators shouldn't be pushy or overly obnoxious asking for money with guilt tripping or a sense of entitlement, as in, "I put in all this hard work; you should pay me." People should be given a choice to donate; it shouldn't be mandatory.

On the flip side, there's a lot of intellectual dishonesty on both EA's and the community's end when it comes to creators and compensation, one that has resulted in exploitation. For example, I remember for years how players would bitterly snipe at having to pay for Sims DLC because of how "bad" it was. "Oh, the hair looks horrible, the clothes are tacky, the TS3 worlds are buggy, the game is glitchy, etc." And then they would always point to modders' work as being so much better and more professional. But ironically, when some of those creators started asking to be compensated, they all of a sudden got written off as hobbyists and amateurs who don't deserve anything and are just craven opportunists leeching off game assets that don't belong to them.

It wasn't always this way. Once upon a time, modders were seen as invaluable partners of development and the gaming community to such an extent that both would volunteer donations on a regular basis without having to be asked (not necessarily in money, but free DLCs, job offers, perks, etc.). But over time, gaming companies realized creators could be exploited for free development and content. So, what they started doing was hire a skeleton crew of devs to put out the barest content, then encourage talented amateurs to flesh out the rest of the game for them. So, essentially, even though amateurs were being enticed as "hobbyists" to showcase their abilities, they were sneakily being recruited as volunteer devs.

To further the exploitation, both the gaming company and players forced creators into some kind of intellectually dishonest, creative limbo where on one hand, it's very clear that both are highly reliant on all of these mods and CC for development and playability, yet on the other, keep dismissing or invalidating creators for some reason or the other as an excuse to no longer compensate or reward them. This creative limbo has resulted in a win/win situation for everyone except creators. The gaming companies gets all of these unpaid devs to expand their content for free (and retain players), and players get DLC that surpasses official content--all for free.

So now, years down the line--after everyone was freely donating, gifting, etc. out of their own volition--creators are getting nothing at all. They're not even getting job offers from companies say, "Wow, your work is awesome! Can we purchase some from you to put in the game?" or, "Would you like to work on our next EP as a guest dev?"

I suspect that this issue is why creators are getting pushy in asking for compensation. It was a non-issue for them getting compensated in the past because back in the day, people were nice enough to volunteer compensation without being asked. Now, no one is doing it. To make matters worse, when creators put their content on a site where they can earn a little pocket change from ads, players will visit with ad blockers, download to their heart's content and then file share against the site's TOS so their friends won't have to visit their sites, either.

All of this is why so many modders are getting angry with other modders for giving away their work for free. If someone tells you you shouldn't give away your work for free, you shouldn't be offended. You should be flattered. The reason why is that if your work was garbage, no one would really care one way or the other if you gave it away. But the reason why they're so upset is that your work is probably too good/professional for a company and playerbase that is way too exploitative and unappreciative of creators, as opposed to years ago when they would've been happy to volunteer something as a show of appreciation.
Field Researcher
#139 Old 13th Jul 2020 at 4:11 PM Last edited by thesims1depot : 13th Jul 2020 at 4:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MoozyFoozy
It's not too surprising that veteran creators who have been making Sims CC for 15 years at this point have begun to use Patreon. Every artist is different, but I can't imagine creating hundreds of hair meshes for 15 years just for the fun of it.

I talk a little bit this issue here: https://www.modthesims.info/m/showt...394#post5656394. I went very long in that post, so maybe I can write a shorter summary of the issue in your response.

A long time ago, as a modder, you used to be rewarded for your contributions (not just money, but even job offers, free stuff, etc.). Companies and players would do this as an incentive to keep creating new mods and content. So, in the past, those veteran creators probably got something once in awhile that made it all worthwhile For example, when I first started building worlds, I was gifted wonderful stuff from the TS3 as a show of gratitude. I am sure that better and more professional creators than me got more than that--maybe money, maybe job offers, maybe advanced copies of future game, a tour of the gaming studio, etc. I know that for the first Sims game, some of the outfits created by CC creator made it into the Deluxe pack. I don't know if the creators got paid but even if they didn't, if they were hoping to get hired by the gaming industry, having a creation in the best selling game of all time was payment enough to get their foot in the door.

What's happened now is that this entire system has become a form of exploitation by both companies and players across the gaming industry, to where creators don't even get anything anymore. It's gotten so bad that whereas with TS-TS3, creators were constantly getting rewarded, with TS4, they're not getting anything at all. EA and players are just expecting them to crank out all of this content without even so much as a, "thank you," so now they have to beg where they didn't have to before.

Making matters worse is this practice of ad blocking. I can understand using those for sites that are over the top obnoxious with ads, but it's another thing if all anyone has is a few Adsense blocs or other forms of unobtrusive advertising. If people are going to refuse to give contributors anything, at least give them some pocket change. But no, they're not even being given that, either. People will download gigs of content off their site with ad blockers and then share/archive files against the TOS so that the creators lose even more visitors.
Mad Poster
#140 Old 13th Jul 2020 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thesims1depot
A long time ago, as a modder, you used to be rewarded for your contributions (not just money, but even job offers, free stuff, etc.). Companies and players would do this as an incentive to keep creating new mods and content. So, in the past, those veteran creators probably got something once in awhile that made it all worthwhile For example, when I first started building worlds, I was gifted wonderful stuff from the TS3 as a show of gratitude. I am sure that better and more professional creators than me got more than that--maybe money, maybe job offers, maybe free EPs/DLCs, a tour of the gaming studio, etc. I know that for the first Sims game, some of the outfits created by CC creator made it into the Deluxe pack. I don't know if the creators got paid but even if they didn't, if they were hoping to get hired by the gaming industry, having a creation in the best selling game of all time was payment enough to get their foot in the door.

What's happened now is that this entire system has become a form of exploitation by both companies and players across the gaming industry, to where creators don't even get anything anymore. It's gotten so bad that whereas with TS-TS3, creators were constantly getting rewarded, with TS4, they're not getting anything at all. EA and players are just expecting them to crank out all of this content without even so much as a, "thank you," so now they have to beg where they didn't have to before.

I think one of the issues is the emergence of the Influencer class, aka the Game Changer program- which didn't really exist to the extent it does now in the previous titles. While some are creators, the most privileged of the group are primarily social media figures who are chosen for their ability to promote the game via early access and videos.

The focus on promotion has ended up resulting in less attention paid by EA to modders, or even lot and sim creators IMO, even though they're the ones actually giving the game its longevity. I.e. is there really any official EA recognition given to felixandre or littlemssam?
Field Researcher
#141 Old 14th Jul 2020 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by freeasabird
I'm a creator and I don’t know if other creators have experienced it but almost every real life person who knows what I do has told me I must be mad for giving it away for free. The favourite approach, when they realise I have tuned out, is to try and shame me into selling stuff by telling what I could buy if I did charge. And almost instantly they become experts in virtual graphic design and the business of selling it.

No one has the right to tell you what to do with your work. By the same token, you're giving away work for an industry that has become exploitative, which is why people are complaining about you giving your work away for free. I know how they must sound like (like greedy, opportunistic pigs). But I don't think that's where they're coming from. I think they probably feel that your work is probably so good that it's too valuable to give away on the cheap and that in so doing, you're selling yourself short.

Let me try to tackle this issue from another angle. Creators should be commended for putting their "all" into their work to the point where it's heads and shoulders better than what a development team put out. But there does come a point where you can put so much "all" into a creation that you're being exploited without realizing it.

For example, for the longest time, people bitched and moaned about there being not enough decent specific hairstyles or clothing. So, what happened? Some very talented creators spent time and effort to create them, and did some stuff that far surpassed anything the game put out.

Now, some creators saw this as a bragging right, to be able to "upstage" the devs/art team. But is it something to brag about, though? If you had put in an average amount of work into a CC and given it away, that would've been fine. But here you got paid nothing, and you made something that you put 5X the skill and craftsmanship that a paid member of the art team never did. You, in other words, produced "premium" content for the game. And worse yet, this thing you created had market value, in the sense that you gave something for free that players would've more than happily paid for in an EP or DLC if EA had given it to them. As if that weren't bad enough, EA is financially benefiting, because people who decided to quit TS3 or TS4 or not have gotten an EP yet may like your stuff so much that they're encouraged to pick up these games again or maybe even buy a stuff pack, EP or Sims 3 store item to be able to use it.

My thing is that it's okay to do mods and create "for free" as long as you're not putting more effort and craftsmanship into it than what a development team did. But if you're going above and beyond what even they're doing--and you're not even getting compensation, job opportunities, gig, or even some recognition--you're putting yourself in a position to be exploited.
Mad Poster
#142 Old 15th Jul 2020 at 3:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I think one of the issues is the emergence of the Influencer class, aka the Game Changer program- which didn't really exist to the extent it does now in the previous titles. While some are creators, the most privileged of the group are primarily social media figures who are chosen for their ability to promote the game via early access and videos.

The focus on promotion has ended up resulting in less attention paid by EA to modders, or even lot and sim creators IMO, even though they're the ones actually giving the game its longevity. I.e. is there really any official EA recognition given to felixandre or littlemssam?

More on this: https://wildlyminiaturesandwich.tum...changer-program
Quote: Originally posted by wildlyminiaturesandwich
Need some examples? We were told in no uncertain terms by the CM that only “High Value” creators (meaning a select group of Youtubers) would ever be given opportunities such as paid sponsorships, event invites and the like because they alone were worth the investment. He also told us that the Game Changer program has “nothing to do with the community”, which is a stark contrast to what most of us were told by the previous CMs and the reason some of us joined the program.
Quote: Originally posted by wildlyminiaturesandwich
So, in conclusion, if you’re a Simblr and you are thinking about joining the program next time applications are open (if they ever are)… Don’t. They don’t care about us, they don’t view us as equals within the community even though Simblrs provide 90% of the CC and mods they use in their games; they never have and they never will. Simblrs have been part of the program for over 3 years and they still don’t even have a way for us to submit our early access content to EA (we have to DM it to the CM who no doubt just ignores it) or accurately measure our ROI, even though several of us have given the CM literal novels worth of information on how it could be done. The only way Simblr GCs have ever been acknowledged was if they started a Youtube channel or collaborated with one of the “high value” creators. Ever seen a single Simblr at an EA event, get a paid sponsorship or even simply get mentioned in a Sims official Twitter tweet? No. Why? They. Don’t. Care. About. Us.
Field Researcher
#143 Old 15th Jul 2020 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000

I didn't know about this program until you mentioned it, but it explains a lot. One of the reasons why I quit TS4 was that I was getting this feeling that unless you had a heavy online social media/forum presence, EA just didn't care about you. I didn't know why I felt that, but now I do. BTW, this whole Influencer Class phenomenon is happening across the board, too, which is why in 2019, I pretty much became disenchanted with the gaming industry and community. You're right that a large part of this has to do with this whole influencer/social media star nonsense, be it YouTube, the forums, Twitch or otherwise; it's all about people who spend their entire lives on these social media platforms.
Lab Assistant
#144 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 1:54 PM
Content creators asking for a small bit of money, like $1 or $5 a month, in a gig economy doesn't bother me at all. People gladly pay $12 for overprice Starbucks.

EA CEO Andrew Wilson is paid $21,000,000 a year, according to salary.com. Twenty-one million dollars.

EA makes huge money: "Digital net bookings for the trailing twelve months was $4.128 billion" according to EA.com's own press release. Same release: "During the quarter, The Sims™ 4 surpassed 20 million unique players worldwide life-to-date."

Since EA won't give a penny to the modders and content creators whose free labor of love continues to enrich and grossly overpay their executives and shareholders, then obviously, support your local modder.
Field Researcher
#145 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 9:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sonyablue
Content creators asking for a small bit of money, like $1 or $5 a month, in a gig economy doesn't bother me at all. People gladly pay $12 for overprice Starbucks.

EA CEO Andrew Wilson is paid $21,000,000 a year, according to salary.com. Twenty-one million dollars.

EA makes huge money: "Digital net bookings for the trailing twelve months was $4.128 billion" according to EA.com's own press release. Same release: "During the quarter, The Sims™ 4 surpassed 20 million unique players worldwide life-to-date."

Since EA won't give a penny to the modders and content creators whose free labor of love continues to enrich and grossly overpay their executives and shareholders, then obviously, support your local modder.

I thought modders do mod because they enjoy it in their free time? I mean nobody force them to make something...
People complain at EA for being greedy, but were fine if modders put CC behind paywall? Come on. It's completely fine by me to ask for donation. Other than that, I hope they get sued. No offense to the creators.
Page 6 of 6