Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2021 at 9:01 AM
Default Pop up.
Every time I open any downloads page I get the following pop up across the bottom of my screen. This has only happened since the site was redesigned. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get rid of it but can’t.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th May 2021 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 8265jww
Every time I open any downloads page I get the following pop up across the bottom of my screen. This has only happened since the site was redesigned. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get rid of it but can’t.

The website is not designed or optimized for mobile/tablet use.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th May 2021 at 8:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Keiraskyler
The website is not designed or optimized for mobile/tablet use.

This doesn’t explain why for years it worked on my iPad with the old design but as soon as they changed it it stopped working, but only on downloads. Also, I’m using the desktop site on my iPad.

It also doesn’t explain why it works perfectly on other browsers on my iPad but not Safari.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th May 2021 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 8265jww
This doesn’t explain why for years it worked on my iPad with the old design but as soon as they changed it it stopped working, but only on downloads. Also, I’m using the desktop site on my iPad.

It also doesn’t explain why it works perfectly on other browsers on my iPad but not Safari.

I seem to have solved the problem. The iPad saves passwords and you can access them through settings. I simply logged out of Mod the sims and deleted the password and reference to the site in settings. I then logged in again and clicked not to save the password. For reasons that completely escape me, despite closing down my iPad completely, when I rebooted it not long ago I am still logged in and have no pop up. It seems my iPad, the third one I’ve had, which is only about 4 months old and therefore, in iPad terms, is still a youngster, has a total mind of its own. Mind you, we are an odd household anyhow. One of my three cats has learned how to turn off my PC desktop monitor if I ignore her.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 21st May 2021 at 8:32 AM
I’m also seeing the pop up invitation to log in on pratically every page, even though I’m already logged in. :-(

The workaround of logging out, deleting password details from Keychain, and then telling iOS not to re-save them when it prompts is now working for me, though I had to have a couple of goes as I somehow messed it up first time.

This happens with Mobile Safari on an iPad running iOS 14. That may be significant; something seems to have happened with the way Safari on mobile devices handles search boxes/login fields, etc between iOS 13 and iOS 14, as I visit one other site that constantly now pulls up the virtual keyboard on every page, which didn’t before I updated iOS.

What I have discovered is that it seems to be related to autofocus on input fields on the page. With the other site it’s a login field that now gets automatically selected, triggering the keyboard popup. With this site the new design automatically moves the cursor to the “search by creator” field, which pops up the prompt to log in (with my saved password details). If I actually do log in, it’ll narrow the search to just items uploaded by me (which don’t exist). The actual keyboard to type in a creator’s name is another click away. The regular “search” box to the left of the creator search pops up the keyboard as expected when selected.

Previous behaviour on the old design was that no field was auto-selected, so the keyboard stayed hidden until I manually clicked in a field to type, and that’s definitely more efficient. I’d say I do one typed search for every 10-20 screens of just paging through downloads.

The autofocus doesn’t happen if the password details haven’t been saved to Keychain. It seems to be fine to tick the “remember me” box though.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 21st May 2021 at 11:35 AM Last edited by Tashiketh : 21st May 2021 at 12:04 PM.
Hrm, interesting.  I'm definitely not doing any auto focus, and it's a standard text field so I'll have to investigate this.  Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: Found out it's because the field was called "username" which I guess iOS Safari interprets as an auto login field.  I've renamed this to "creator" and tested it on my iPad Pro Safari and it's now working as expected.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st May 2021 at 11:22 PM
Thanks. I’ve logged out and in again (letting Keychain save my password details), and it seems to be behaving sensibly again now.

As a bonus, you’re also explained why the other site keeps doing that to me. I’m a lurker rather than a member on that forum, so I always get to see its login field. Presumably that one is labelled “username” too.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#8 Old 21st May 2021 at 11:33 PM
Glad I could help!  I do admit it was kind of annoying - but thanks for reporting it!

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#9 Old 21st May 2021 at 11:34 PM
Changed thread category to Solved/Answered