Replies: 12886 (Who?), Viewed: 823675 times.
Page 493 of 516
Alchemist
#12301 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 4:34 AM Last edited by Phantomknight : 20th Oct 2021 at 5:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Quote:
I wish there was a button on these threads for "I sympathize"..it seems so dumb to reply to a person's sad story with "I agree".


As other simmers told me years ago, use the "love" button. I used to be the same/very similar and wanted more types of buttons under posts to better accurately reflect my feelings, but as I've hung around MTS over the years, you sort of learn to make do. Each button means more than what it says. So "love" for example can mean everything from literally "love that" to "you're so right," "thanks," "your welcome," or "hugs." And probably some more stuff I haven't thought of.

But the same for disagree--it can mean a bunch of stuff, too. But people tend to take that red button personally (and it's hard not to) so, at least around here, people tend to save it to mean "you're factually incorrect" or "that's inappropriate." And that kinda reinforces the bad feelings around the disagree button, because you don't see it so often. But again, it could mean a bunch of things. It could be some new simmers, using the button to say they don't share an opinion, not realizing that on this forum, if that happens, it's more acceptable/good etiquette to just say nothing and leave the post alone. But it could also be a bot, or a troll, or it could be someone with poor motor skills accidentally hitting buttons. Again, there's a bunch of reasons. But requiring someone to explain why they hit a certain button, kinda defeats the point of having the button to begin with--you use it in lieu of a regular post and words. In the end we just have to roll with it and remember not to take buttons too personally, especially the disagree button.

Anyway, @StrangeTownChick, what's a realistic ramp look like? I can only think of that one by beosboxboy, which looks like something I might have seen at a library or something, a few years ago.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#12302 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 9:31 AM
I think the reason the "disagree" button is such a 'hot' button for so many is that it's colored red, which in many people's minds, makes it literally a red flag and warning that you're not supposed to say that and that you're a bad person for even thinking to say it.

Red is not a very agreeable color and a lot of people dislike it.

"People tend to associate red with negative, danger-bearing emotions. This could be because it is the color of fire, blood, and sometimes of poisonous or dangerous animals."

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-co...-of-red-2795821

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles (including funerals, here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file)
#12303 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 1:04 PM
@Phantomknight thank you for that, that's a very nice one. For a public place. Now just need one to put onto a house, preferably a nice wooden one. I said realistic mainly because the only one I've seen was the same length as foundation stairs usually are and as a result was ridiculously steep. It needs a gradual incline or there's no way to get up it. I've tried making one with building cheats a million times but I cannot get it to mesh with the ground nicely.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Alchemist
#12304 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 1:14 PM
I think the disagree button just seems incongruous with a discussion board, and that would be the case no matter what color it is. "You need to know that I don't approve of your post, but I'm not telling you why" seems unnecessary and doesn't give the person an opportunity to rephrase or expand on their post to clear things up.

Not that it doesn't have a place, especially for quickly signaling something is a bad idea (e.g. a post saying "I added the therapist to my household!").
Scholar
#12305 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 1:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
I think the reason the "disagree" button is such a 'hot' button for so many is that it's colored red, which in many people's minds, makes it literally a red flag and warning that you're not supposed to say that and that you're a bad person for even thinking to say it.


should we make a petition to the Forum admins to make it pink, then?

Fox-Lambert (A)RL
hiatus 'till the life run again in the normal-abnormal way
favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Top Secret Researcher
#12306 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 2:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
"People tend to associate red with negative, danger-bearing emotions. This could be because it is the color of fire, blood, and sometimes of poisonous or dangerous animals."
I'm using the Bootstrap theme (the one that isn't BlueFish or Slate). The Love button is colored in red there, so I don't necessarily agree that changing the color of the Disagree button will have changed anything. They're opposing statements by definition, so it somewhat makes sense that green = yes/ok go/agree and red = no/stop/disagree.

Perhaps a better solution would be to limit vote casting to members with a certain amount of posts. That way, once someone gains a solid reputation on the forum may also just dot a quick agree or a disagree to someone. On the other hand, the idea is stupid, because the Helpful/Funny/Love buttons should pretty much be available for anyone to click...
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#12307 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 3:32 PM
I think we should all just chill out and press whatever buttons we like!
They really don't matter, and can be helpful whenever I post something factually incorrect, as it alerts me that I am yet again wrong so that I check my facts.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Mad Poster
#12308 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 6:31 PM
I've always wanted to have a better way of managing sims with their music when the towns got bigger and it's finally happened and there's a creator feedback thread on this site for the new options to manage sims listeneing to music.It's in testing and it sounds like it might fix one of my biggest issues.
#12309 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 7:57 PM
Another thing I thought of--a "leave a message" hack. Eight hours in a row Julien Cooke called his lady-friend hoping for a date, and eight hours in a row he reached her answering machine. It would be nice if you could leave a message and then receive a call from the person as soon as they're home.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Mad Poster
#12310 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=StrangeTownChick]Another thing I thought of--a "leave a message" hack. Eight hours in a row Julien Cooke called his lady-friend hoping for a date, and eight hours in a row he reached her answering machine. It would be nice if you could leave a message and then receive a call from the person as soon as they're home.[/QUOTE=====
And is there any logic to those "not home" messages? Like the other sim is playable, and those ARE the hours they work? With school hours it makes sense that you always (?) get the message.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#12311 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 10:42 PM
Yes @grammapat the sims are not available to answer the phone during the hours they are at work or school. Outside of those hours, they will answer.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Lab Assistant
#12312 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 11:10 PM
Folks, what do you think about this - mod that allowes sims who have CRIMINAL job career to come back with random (expansive) item? Or a mod that can spawn CRIMINAL job sims stealing from other's homes? Like...you send household to sleep and at night there is a burglar sim (who is actual criminal job sim).
Mad Poster
#12313 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 11:37 PM
Oddity about 'phoning Sims. If you 'phone a teen (or a child) just before 9 a.m. and invite them over, providing you've got a good enough relationship with them, they'll come. They never say, "I've got school in two minutes -- I have to run." And, provided you look after their needs, they'll stay all day. Nothing will be said about them missing school, unless you make them controllable, in which case they may get a warning. The same applies to 'phoning Sims who are about to go to work.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#12314 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 4:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena88
Folks, what do you think about this - mod that allowes sims who have CRIMINAL job career to come back with random (expansive) item? Or a mod that can spawn CRIMINAL job sims stealing from other's homes? Like...you send household to sleep and at night there is a burglar sim (who is actual criminal job sim).


I've long wanted to redo the criminal career path, to make an "organized crime" career. However, it would be unlike most any other career, in a number of ways. There would be very "high risk/ high reward" chance cards that could lead to drastic changes. I think i'd limit the top career to only 5 per hood (if that's doable), or maybe one per sub-hood. Sorta like "the heads of the 5 families" if you will. I'd also make it so that you could only receive the top job by chance card, and it would necessitate deposing one of the other Big Bosses.

I like your idea of coming home with expensive stolen property as some of the big payoffs, instead of always just cash. Adds variety. Some of the other features i'd like to include related to the job include the possibility of getting raided/busted by the cops. They'd come to the house and arrest you, like the burglar (perhaps giving you the opportunity to fight and flee... but then you'd have to lam it). After getting arrested, your sim would be tried (chance card?) and if convicted, could get sent to prison -- where your sim would spend 3-5 days out of the household, with a JAIL icon where the job icon normally would appear. Further, you could get roughed up by rival thugs. In this, a car would bring you home, the door would open, and your sim would flop out onto the lawn like being thrown out of the electrodance sphere. You might wind up losing money, or you might get beat up and lose a body point.

Another possibility would borrow directly from the Secret Society, where a limo pulls up, grabs your sim, marches him out to the car and drives off. A number of possible outcomes could result; the worst being finding a rotting dead fish in your mailbox, indicating that your criminal sim is no longer to be found among the living. Another related possibility, which i thought would be amusing is, rather than killing the sim, he could be turned into a townie with a new name, new clothes, new hair, possibly makeup and/or facial hair... but the same personality, memories and inventory -- a sims version of the Witness Relocation Program. I suppose friendships and relationships would be wiped out... but i would still leave their sibling and parent/child connections intact, so you dont have any awkward instances where the offspring have tails.

New ideas come and go, and i'm always tweaking this concept. But a lot of the stuff that would be necessary already exists. It would just be a matter of organizing them to function together in this career. But i think it would be fun and exciting, and a heck of a lot better than the bland crime career that currently exists.


-gE
>=)
Forum Resident
#12315 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 5:54 AM
Criminal townies? No thanks. One look at sims 4 and it tells me how that situation goes. That game is chock FULL of crazy or criminally minded/insane sim townies. I prefer to have NO random townies thank you very much.
Instructor
#12316 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 6:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinevilly
I've long wanted to redo the criminal career path, to make an "organized crime" career. However, it would be unlike most any other career, in a number of ways. There would be very "high risk/ high reward" chance cards that could lead to drastic changes. I think i'd limit the top career to only 5 per hood (if that's doable), or maybe one per sub-hood. Sorta like "the heads of the 5 families" if you will. I'd also make it so that you could only receive the top job by chance card, and it would necessitate deposing one of the other Big Bosses.

I like your idea of coming home with expensive stolen property as some of the big payoffs, instead of always just cash. Adds variety. Some of the other features i'd like to include related to the job include the possibility of getting raided/busted by the cops. They'd come to the house and arrest you, like the burglar (perhaps giving you the opportunity to fight and flee... but then you'd have to lam it). After getting arrested, your sim would be tried (chance card?) and if convicted, could get sent to prison -- where your sim would spend 3-5 days out of the household, with a JAIL icon where the job icon normally would appear. Further, you could get roughed up by rival thugs. In this, a car would bring you home, the door would open, and your sim would flop out onto the lawn like being thrown out of the electrodance sphere. You might wind up losing money, or you might get beat up and lose a body point.

Another possibility would borrow directly from the Secret Society, where a limo pulls up, grabs your sim, marches him out to the car and drives off. A number of possible outcomes could result; the worst being finding a rotting dead fish in your mailbox, indicating that your criminal sim is no longer to be found among the living. Another related possibility, which i thought would be amusing is, rather than killing the sim, he could be turned into a townie with a new name, new clothes, new hair, possibly makeup and/or facial hair... but the same personality, memories and inventory -- a sims version of the Witness Relocation Program. I suppose friendships and relationships would be wiped out... but i would still leave their sibling and parent/child connections intact, so you dont have any awkward instances where the offspring have tails.

New ideas come and go, and i'm always tweaking this concept. But a lot of the stuff that would be necessary already exists. It would just be a matter of organizing them to function together in this career. But i think it would be fun and exciting, and a heck of a lot better than the bland crime career that currently exists.


-gE
>=)


You always have interesting ideas, -gE.

And, although probably not feasible given game mechanics, but instead of promotions being based on skill levels, they depend on meeting different "job" criteria, perhaps fencing 20 (or some number) of electronic devices (stereos, TVs, etc), winning X number of fights with other Sims or even counterfeiting X number of Simoleans. Because the lower level flunkies in such a career path aren't necessarily real bright.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Lab Assistant
#12317 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 8:11 AM Last edited by Lena88 : 18th Oct 2021 at 8:42 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogrinder
Criminal townies? No thanks. One look at sims 4 and it tells me how that situation goes. That game is chock FULL of crazy or criminally minded/insane sim townies. I prefer to have NO random townies thank you very much.


Well...every neighborhood has criminal townies. There are burglars and (if you add/use/have Downtown) sims with criminal job career.

As for sending criminal sims to jail/prison, it would be enough to make them spend few hours or one sims day AWAY. Their bars for comfort and fun could drop to red.
Lab Assistant
#12318 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 10:04 AM
I dont know if its possible...but this can fit PERFECTLY with OCEANOGRAPHY job career. This is diving tank from ts1

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Aquatic_Playhouse

What do you think, simmers?
Alchemist
#12319 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 2:01 PM
Someone was making a recreation of that a long time ago. I don't know if it came to fruition.
Theorist
#12320 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 2:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena88
I dont know if its possible...but this can fit PERFECTLY with OCEANOGRAPHY job career. This is diving tank from ts1

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Aquatic_Playhouse


Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo
Someone was making a recreation of that a long time ago. I don't know if it came to fruition.


Meduza on tumblr was asked about this after she re-created the skydiving simulator:


https://jellymeduza.tumblr.com/post...-i-love-the#_=_

and she said while she'd love for the Aquatic Playhouse to be recreated for Sims 2 she said it would be difficult due to the movements and animations needed and said she couldn't commit to the idea.

Avatar by MasterRed
Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Lab Assistant
#12321 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 2:26 PM
CRISPS AND KAROSENE almost finished it. I asked her(?) about it. Its kinda on hitaus.
Forum Resident
#12322 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 8:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogrinder
Criminal townies? No thanks. One look at sims 4 and it tells me how that situation goes. That game is chock FULL of crazy or criminally minded/insane sim townies. I prefer to have NO random townies thank you very much.


Well... i wasn't expecting the townies who were in the witness relocation program to be anything other than townies. Not pickpockets or any other kind of criminal programming. They'd be fellas who were pinched by the G-men, and had to remain "on the straight and narrow" to be protected and receive immunity from prosecution in exchange for testifying against organized crime. So they'd just be townies, like any other townies and wouldn't even have the criminal career path anymore. I have no idea what TS4 does with criminally insane townies... haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbesED
You always have interesting ideas, -gE.


Thanks, my friend! =)

Quote:
And, although probably not feasible given game mechanics, but instead of promotions being based on skill levels, they depend on meeting different "job" criteria, perhaps fencing 20 (or some number) of electronic devices (stereos, TVs, etc), winning X number of fights with other Sims or even counterfeiting X number of Simoleans


I absolutely love those ideas! I think the chance cards are where the real volatility would come in, due to the game mechanics. There'd probably be lots of promotions and demotions from reactions to chance cards. Your envelope's light and you get knocked down a peg, for a better earner. Or you have to decide whether or not to "send a message" to a punk who's stepped out of line. Or you make one of the Big Cheese's little problems 'disappear'... That's where you could really make it fun and immersive!


-gE
>=)
Alchemist
#12323 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 1:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena88
Folks, what do you think about this - mod that allowes sims who have CRIMINAL job career to come back with random (expansive) item?


I honestly love that idea and was thinking the same for the adventurer career! See, for criminals, I've been using a build/buy enabler to let them go to community lots and steal stuff. Only drawback is that community lots aren't saved so I have to write down where sims stole from and give those lots a "cool down period" (i.e. I can't steal from that lot again for a while). I've also been toying with rules on what type of items, or value of items, can be stolen, based on a sim's skills and career level.

For adventurers, though, I've been thinking about if there's a way for sims in the career to be at work for longer periods of time and then come home with stuff. I was thinking of looking at the hiking interaction, because sims can come home with stuff after they do that. But now that you've got me revisiting my idea, maybe Dizzy's Work Deliver is a better place to start? With that, sims can come home with pizza or groceries, so theoretically, you could add checks to see if a sim is in certain career, and if they are in acceptable careers, they come home with stuff. And maybe the item gets randomly selected from a list of things and those things depend on your career level. So Sims in levels 1-4 can only bring cheap items, 5-7 and the stuff is a bit more expensive, and 7-10 would have small chances of really nice expensive things.

And @grinevilly, I love a lot of your criminal career ideas and you're right, a lot of interactions can be pulled from existing ones. I have to admit, I'm a little wary of things that might permanently remove sims from a household or remove memories and relationships. But I do like the other ideas a lot! The only thing I'm torn about is whether it should be tied to the criminal career or if some things might make more sense as a separate controller. Because, yeah, higher stakes chance cards are definitely doable, but, if iirc, you can only do one per career level--though that one can have up to four different outcomes.

But with a controller, well, I'm reminded of PCSims mods where if you put down an item, certain scenarios can run--I think Lamare has something that functions similarly, that allows blackouts and such to happen. (Perhaps you can give advice on how to go about it @Lamare??) So I'm thinking that might be the best way, though anyone with more modding knowledge, please let me know if I'm wrong; I don't have a lot modding experience. Anyway, I'm thinking you put down an item on the lot, or maybe the controller searches for a certain trait, and there's chances for each scenario to occur. Oh, maybe searching for a trait is best, because then, as you progress through the criminal career, you can give sims a different trait to represent their ranking. Then the controller can do different percentages, based on the traits of the sims who live on the lot, and then certain scenarios are more common, depending on what career level you're at.

So for example, maybe if a sim is level 8 or above, the burglar can't rob the house (Because who robs their boss? Definitely no one should be robbing a mastermind, at the very least.). Or if a sim is level 5 and below, police raids are more common, because sims are sloppier/less skilled. Police already fine sims for calling when there's no emergency--I think that interaction could be cloned to change the text and maybe give sims in the house the "Busted" memory, or a new "Raided" memory. These raids could also give a hit to sims' reputation, so that sims feel consequences of their behaviors. And if you're using traits, you could set up rival gang traits, and pull rival sims to come over and kick the trash can, leave flaming bags of poo, steal newspapers and gnomes, etc. Maybe even stomp on flowers and kick gravestones/urns? Or maybe sims who are "Protected" or a lower criminal level have a chance to send money or an item, as payment for protection or as a cut of their earnings.

And then yeah, at higher career levels, instead of fines, sims have a chance of going to jail--they'll be walked to the police car in cuffs, given the "Busted" memory and maybe a "Went to Jail" memory, and kept away for a certain amount of hours. And if they have too many of those memories, they could be barred from certain careers, or get fired and be barred from entering Criminal again. But there'd have to be some good events, too. Like every so often they get something nice from a big heist. Or if you have a certain rank, no one messes with your trashcan or newspaper, or the maid, gardener, and repairman give you a discount (if they come at all). Or you get more coupons for free meals. Oh, or maybe you get free influence--so high ranking gang members can intimidate others into doing stuff for them...

Honestly, think of all that just makes me realize how much more TS3 could've done with careers. Even in that the Criminal career is still just a rabbit hole, though at least they can get taken to jail sometimes.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
just a girl
#12324 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 5:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomknight
But with a controller, well, I'm reminded of PCSims mods where if you put down an item, certain scenarios can run--I think Lamare has something that functions similarly, that allows blackouts and such to happen. (Perhaps you can give advice on how to go about it @Lamare??)

Well, that's a lot of features to consider =) Some things can be done through a custom controller (either visible buyable object, or more automatic type of thing that just works in the background without you remembering to buy it). Other things can not, e.g. to be barred from certain careers you'd have to mod the global job finding process. So, we are looking at a complex mod. Doable, but can't exactly be boiled down to a single object (for some features, at least).

There's also a way to write a truly custom career that doesn't have to fit the existing framework: make it use separate (private) functions, instead of the same globals that other careers use. This is tricky, because you'd have to keep in mind that the game expects all careers to have the same structure, and the more you deviate from it, the more could go wrong. Also doable, gives a lot more freedom, but requires a lot more work.
Alchemist
#12325 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 6:12 AM
That's helpful--thanks @Lamare! I see that features would have to broken down and grouped by similar processes. In the end, it might not be one mod but several. I was just trying to brainstorm; maybe some others can pick up everyone's ideas and run with them.

When I do get serious about modding, I hope to start with some more simple things (at least I think my other ideas are simple, ). I'm starting to play more to wants and I'd really like to see kids and teens do homework autonomously like YAs do (and not be called to do it at a certain time, like Monique's mod). Sim kids roll wants to do homework like clockwork if it's lying around the next morning, but Teens almost never do. Even my knowledge sims don't seem to roll the want all that often. So I'd like to give them the opportunity to improve their grades. Make it more likely to happen if a sim is serious, or something. So yeah, I'm trying to figure out why it's not autonomous; hopefully it's as simple as tweaking advertising and the motive boost. But I'm starting to suspect other things are going on because one of my test versions threw errors.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Page 493 of 516
Back to top