Replies: 986 (Who?), Viewed: 135362 times.
Page 30 of 39
Top Secret Researcher
#726 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 10:46 PM Last edited by Kaospilot : 7th Aug 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Ooo there are loads of those arch houses around in Lincoln

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Destroyer of Worlds
staff: administrator
#727 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 11:50 PM Last edited by heaven_sent_8_18 : 8th Aug 2010 at 1:00 AM.
Is anyone having a problem with the live chat today? I miss my "friends" in there!!! Plus, I have some questions about my lots of each round.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#728 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 3:53 AM
Holy-simoly! I was taking pictures of my lot and the sims were burning up some hotdogs and the dogs caught on fire and the next thing you know, the SIMS were on FIRE! YIKES! Exit without saving!
Lab Assistant
#729 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 4:09 AM
Porkypine: HAHAHA That's pretty hilarious!

I am uploading my homes (the ones that I finished) right now, so I can beat the "rush" of uploads. (hint...hint......HINT... to anyone who wants to beat ... the RUSH)

Currently not able to take requests at this time... sorry!
Forum Resident
#730 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 4:51 AM
I'm not even going to upload my houses, unless this last one comes out nicely.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Top Secret Researcher
#731 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 4:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkypine
Holy-simoly! I was taking pictures of my lot and the sims were burning up some hotdogs and the dogs caught on fire and the next thing you know, the SIMS were on FIRE! YIKES! Exit without saving!

I hope you took some pictures of it!

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Destroyer of Worlds
staff: administrator
#732 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 4:58 AM
I was planning on uploading all of mine (one is already done) but I realized I made a major mistake. All of my foundation challenge homes were in one neighborhood. I moved a finished one to a different sized lot and now can't get it to go back to 30x30!!! Grr...and that was the barn house which worked really well on that size. Plus, I just got some EPs and am afraid to install them after submitting an upload and then be told changes are required and have to change them and make them require the EPs rather than just be base game compatible.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Forum Resident
#733 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 5:22 AM
Well, I know that I, for one, would love to be able to download your houses, heaven_sent_8_18, especially the tree house.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Inventor
#734 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 7:40 AM
Nice houses everyone .And sandymdh,wow ,That castle is absouloutely stunning .You used the floor elevation cheat didn't you ?

I would like a little help,does this house look to simple ?I tried to create something different from everyone,a bright sunny house but i'm not sure the outside is to attractive .Also is the landscaping to simple?(Sorry about the graphics,i always turn it down when building .

Lab Assistant
#735 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 8:26 AM
Hmph, I'm probably not the perfect guy to give you advice on this, as my houses tended to be simple and practical! And landscaping is my weak point.

But the house looks good to me. I think the candelabra-style wall lights don't match the style very well, though. I think you should replace it with something else. Maybe add dormers or something to the roof if you think it's too plain. Or a chimney!

The landscape do look a rather bare. How about using terrain paints to, well, paint the terrain a little bit so it's not so monotone green. Maybe add some sandy areas here and there. Use shrubs around the palm trees. Look at how EA do it in Sunset Valley for inspiration. The straight edge on the triangular pond looks unnatural to me.
Lab Assistant
#736 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 8:43 AM
The gatehouse looks amazing and authentic, Sandymh! I'm still amazed at what people can do with landscaping....

The new entries that have been entered so far looks incredible as well, most with gorgeous landscaping. The bar keeps getting raised...

@Kaospilot, if I'm not mistaken that weird thing is ceiling that got scrunched downward, right? That got left behind even as you have removed the ceiling and the floor tile associated with it?
Inventor
#737 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 8:45 AM
Thanks for the advise .There are shrubs there,just like in the beach but its invisible because the tree detail is low .I'll remove the lights and spice up the terrain a bit,thanks .
Lab Assistant
#738 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 8:49 AM
Hmmm, didn't occur to me that the ground might look bare and plain because you have turned down the graphic... No wonder it looks so plain! My bad! :D
Inventor
#739 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 9:32 AM
Yeah,it does look naked .I tried to change it up a bit by adding some paints and flowers,also i changed the lights .Also here's a bonus pic of part of the livingroom,tell me what you think .

Lab Assistant
#740 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 10:03 AM
Definitely better! I like the living room too. Looks cozy! What's that plant by the corner? I don't think I've seen it before.
Inventor
#741 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 10:08 AM
Thanks !!It means a lot .Its the fiscus tree shrub .
Top Secret Researcher
#742 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGatot
@Kaospilot, if I'm not mistaken that weird thing is ceiling that got scrunched downward, right? That got left behind even as you have removed the ceiling and the floor tile associated with it?

Yea. Sometimes if you delete the tiles in question and "move" the house in the neighbourhood, it gets removed. I guess it's a sort of a reset or something.

Didn't manage now though so tore down the house and rebuilt it :P

Field Researcher
#743 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 12:23 PM
@gabrielorie yes I used CFE to get the slight arch in the 'gateway' and had to put a frieze height floor above it to get it to stay in place. If that sounds easy then try getting stairs in place lol. Obviously had to use CFE on the ruins which was less annoying! This contest has really helped me get practise with these techniques I'd avoided before. My first house was sooo plain compared. I've seen the utube tutorials on bridges, attached garage and split level stairs but other than that nothing beats just playing around with it.
Love your house only comment I'd make is what about some more 'front door' type exterior doors on your house? Love the lounge colour scheme.
@heavensent_8_18 Please Please Please (etc etc) upload the treehouse!!!!
Definitely going to have to make that world with all 30x30 lots :-)
Lab Assistant
#744 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 1:25 PM
I too rarely use CFE previously mainly because of the possiblility of 'unexpected' thingy happening! But having to rebuilt it? That's pretty bad!

Sandymh, Yeah, a frieze floor in between levels (and basement below foundation) makes putting stairs difficult. Uses too much space. Especially in such a small foundation! I'd be curious to see the interior of your gatehouse, especially the stairs! And I hate how the area in the frieze is unlighted. In fact I hate how in Sims 3 lights are calculated per level, and did not bleed into subsequent level as they should be.

Oh one other annoying thing that could happen while building is if you use paint the ceiling thing, sometimes when you use shift click to paint large areas automatically, it extends outside to where your ceiling is not. Sort of bleed out a little, usually one tiles out from the wall. Usually escaped notice (because ceiling paint is invisible from above) until it's time to take pictures! The only way to remove it that I know of is to put floor tiles back in the area affected (may be difficult if there's no support below it) and then delete them. I think it's probably related to the bug Kaospilot is having. Come to think about it, Kaospilot, maybe next time you could try puting floor tiles in the level above where your anomalities are, then delete them? Sorry I didn't come up with this until you've rebuilt your house.

And while at it, why does painting ceilings have to be this hard!? It's difficult to get the camera to point up! It's always seem to want to snap back down. Sims 3 isn't a fighting game, but some of my most furious fighting in a game lately is fighting the interface in Sims 3!

Whoops, too much ranting?
Top Secret Researcher
#745 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 1:35 PM
Haha, the woes of painting ceilings! When the bug happens, it's because I am trying to colour the ceiling and it sort of like.. breaks and goes all pointy and weird and that's when the white bits stick out. I also notice when trying to paint ceilings that just normal floor tiles sometimes don't register as a "proper" floor. So when I try to take pictures you can see straight up into the floor above, right into objects etc where there clearly are tiles So then I just have to remove it and replace it with roof tiles and repaint over it. The roof painting ability is sooooo extremely bugged in some areas.

Lab Assistant
#746 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 1:46 PM Last edited by BGatot : 8th Aug 2010 at 7:18 PM. Reason: Updated again!!
Heh, well, Michelangelo supposedly nearly went blind painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Maybe that's why EA made painting ceiling in Sims 3 so difficult? Except we don't go nearly blind, we went near crazy instead! :D

Anyway, this is what I've come up with so far...

Any criticism/suggestions would be welcome! :D
Field Researcher
#747 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 1:48 PM
@BGatot - fortunately I had a split staircase so it now just has 3 half size sections which isn't too bad and will do for the contest but were I to expand and upload this lot I'd definately have to redo them as certainly too buggy with more than 1 sim in the house - too many tantrums!!! Totally agree about the lighting I sometimes make rooms taller by adding a small layer on top and the lighting issue is a real pain. I find curves the hardest as you lose the grid marking on the top and can't manipulate them at all which is darn awkward.
Inventor
#748 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 1:53 PM Last edited by gabrielorie : 8th Aug 2010 at 2:20 PM.
Thats what CFE means .I always heard of it but never bothered to see what it means :o.And thanks ,your house is really nice and it definately has that wow factor .I wish i changed the door before i took the pics.And why did you remove Claire The Bear,she was so awesome .Anyway I finally finished my house (well kinda) but I still don't have a name for it .I present....

The Unamed House (Literally )

Street View

Living Room

Study

Kitchen (Still a bit bland )

Dining

Bathroom

Bedroom

Bonus Pics

Cars (I really hate the water effects that came with ambitions )

Sideview

Floorplans

First Storey

Second Storey

I didn't use any CC or any ep,sp or store items.
Any ideas on how to improve it are welcome,enjoy
Inventor
#749 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 1:57 PM Last edited by gabrielorie : 8th Aug 2010 at 2:11 PM.
BGatot I didn't see your house :o.I am litterally jelous of how people can stick to one theme,for instance your house.It looks great .I love the colours and the 1920 setting,but i suggeat one little thing...I'm no uilding expert but ry boxing in the flowers in front of your house with a very small fence,it makes it look better .Also i am jelous of your water .Do you have ambitions installed ?
Top Secret Researcher
#750 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 2:18 PM
BGatot: So cute your house it. Especially with that "tower". Just one thing.. It seems a bit straight in the front. Maybe try putting some sort of roof just over where the door is for example. To break it up

Page 30 of 39