Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 9:32 AM
Default Does anyone ever feel like~
You rather download creatively built houses than create your own creatively built houses?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 3:40 PM
I do it all the time. I'm not a builder. I couldn't build an outhouse. So, I download.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Alchemist
#3 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dikosay
I do it all the time. I'm not a builder. I couldn't build an outhouse. So, I download.

Yeah I'm with you. I've been a downloader since Sims 1. I suck at building.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 6:12 PM
Well for me.. the problem is that any house that either I or anyone else makes, ends up having all sorts of space confinement issues causing conversations to be ridiculous. This, as well as visual obstructions all over the place, ends up forcing me to make gigantic houses shaped like boxes with furniture spaced unnaturally far apart in order to have any kind of normal function for regular use. I typically download houses that look nice as background houses for my sims to walk or jog around neighborhoods, but I am forced to build my own stupid boxy ugly houses to normally live and function in.

SIDE RANT: For the love of god... where do I have to place the dang couches for the sims to actually sit on when they watch TV! And not stand behind it like some moronic anti couch potato mutation.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 6:28 PM
I think why I wanna find a neat house to download than build one in TS4 is over the computer I play the game isn't very speedy to play over TS4 and its many many many content.

The computer's system specs ain't good for these new aged games and the runtime for TS4, while it isn't that slow like a snail, but can be too slow at certain times, makes me feel bored to play the game and I can't do much building for a Sim family in like 2 hours or less. I need to find a good house, and then remodel it a bit.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Jul 2021 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lodakai
Well for me.. the problem is that any house that either I or anyone else makes, ends up having all sorts of space confinement issues causing conversations to be ridiculous. This, as well as visual obstructions all over the place, ends up forcing me to make gigantic houses shaped like boxes with furniture spaced unnaturally far apart in order to have any kind of normal function for regular use. I typically download houses that look nice as background houses for my sims to walk or jog around neighborhoods, but I am forced to build my own stupid boxy ugly houses to normally live and function in.

SIDE RANT: For the love of god... where do I have to place the dang couches for the sims to actually sit on when they watch TV! And not stand behind it like some moronic anti couch potato mutation.

You should see my sister's house. Its like 3/4 stories tall with basements too over she made a lot of box rooms for every item in the game. She has all three rocketships too.

She does plan to go simple when we get Country Living.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 1:57 AM
I love to build and have done hundreds if not thousands of Sim lots. I do download ones that I want to see though. I keep some, I keep some and alter a bit, and some I then delete.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 3:04 AM
I actually love building. Especially in TS4. It's just...there are a lot of times when I just don't feel like it. The problem is that I'm really picky about houses. A lot of the ones on the gallery that look good also tend to not really....appeal to me. So I wind up building a house myself, anyway.

The Receptacle still lives!
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 4:04 AM
I can't stand those little thumbnails in the gallery, just a few obstructed thumbs on each lot, I really not sure what i'm placing until I placed it.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 4:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
I can't stand those little thumbnails in the gallery, just a few obstructed thumbs on each lot, I really not sure what i'm placing until I placed it.

That's another reason I've kinda stopped using the gallery for residential lots. Those preview pics are terrible.

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 8:05 AM
I always wanted to be an architect growing up. We have drawings I did at maybe 4 or 5 of house facades with floor plans. I am very, very picky about how houses are done. So I tend to build more than download unless looking for a specific style/type for some ideas.
Instructor
#12 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 10:45 AM
I've got a lot of houses I've built myself and tend to use them again and again as I like my own houses to play in. They get downloaded, changed, new windows, doors, furnishings every time a pack comes out so they are variations on a theme basically. They get basement for laundry, lofts for the new ladders etc as time goes on. I'm trying out making a pond in a large plot at the moment.

I like to download some others from the Gallery too just to look around and get some ideas but rarely keep them to play.
Scholar
#13 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 3:11 PM
In the past I was obsessed with downloading houses, but not so much anymore. I noticed whenever I'd open them up they'd be too much for my liking (as in, I just didn't feel like I wanted to play in them). I have almost always used houses that I myself built or ones made by the developers.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 21st Jul 2021 at 5:06 PM
I have a bigger passion for my sims' lives and their appearances that I lack any sort of vision on what sort of house they live in. When I do find the energy to build a new home from scratch I fall into "draw a big square home, fill in the essentials" essentially all the rooms I design are in shapes of squares and one story. I guess it fits with my personality. But seriously, Sims 4's pre-made designed rooms & home gallery to browse through spoils me, it's way easier to just find a pretty home and drop it in the lot so I can make my sims have fun again. I work better with an already designed home and make adjustments to it versus coming up with a whole new home from scratch.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 11:33 PM
I mostly download lots, it's true, but every once in a while I work on my build/buy skills by doing a shell challenge. Some of the people who create those things are evil. I especially like limiting myself to base game only, or maybe one or two packs.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MakinUnleashed
You should see my sister's house. Its like 3/4 stories tall with basements too over she made a lot of box rooms for every item in the game. She has all three rocketships too.

She does plan to go simple when we get Country Living.

By the sounds of things her idea of going simple will be similar to what my sister did years ago when playing 1, where she would fill a whole room with toilets and make "toilet parties" which usually involved deleting the door when all the guests arrived...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 7:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
By the sounds of things her idea of going simple will be similar to what my sister did years ago when playing 1, where she would fill a whole room with toilets and make "toilet parties" which usually involved deleting the door when all the guests arrived...

What a potty emergency.
Scholar
#18 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 12:16 AM
I'm not a builder huge in TS4 as I have no land to build on (I will not add any more packs so I won't get any more worlds). I do, however, rebuild existing houses from time to time. I have always found it hard to build from scratch. I have no downloaded houses. I did download one house (to the game I have on my laptop) but I have not been using it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
I'm not a builder huge in TS4 as I have no land to build on (I will not add any more packs so I won't get any more worlds). I do, however, rebuild existing houses from time to time. I have always found it hard to build from scratch. I have no downloaded houses. I did download one house (to the game I have on my laptop) but I have not been using it.

I made this nice sim and moved them into that house near the docks in Brighton Bay. I hope I spelled the world from Cats & Dogs correct.
And said former warehouse/food cannery/whatever its called looks not too bad and am giving it some improvements here and there. Nothing major tho.

...wanted to add a giant gnome statue on the first floor.
Theorist
#20 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
That's another reason I've kinda stopped using the gallery for residential lots. Those preview pics are terrible.

Oh god, does the gallery not give you a top-down floorplan for buildings before you download them? I'm glad I've never tried to use it...
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 4:18 AM
Yep. I don't really find it very fun to design my own builds. My OCD gets in the way, and they all end up looking a weird mix of boring and chaotic. Plus, I kind of like to be "surprised" when I move in a family.

Unfortunately, the gallery search sucks--there's no way to search for something that only has stuff from packs that you own. You can search for "Base Game," and you can search for lots that *include* items from packs you own, but nothing to *limit* the search packs that you own. That seems like something that's so obvious, I can't help but wonder if the Sims team just hates us (or is trying to nudge-nudge-wink-wink us into buying more packs). So I'm limited to just getting lots from the base game, which are...not very exciting.
Scholar
#22 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 6:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperCoolRachael
Yep. I don't really find it very fun to design my own builds. My OCD gets in the way, and they all end up looking a weird mix of boring and chaotic. Plus, I kind of like to be "surprised" when I move in a family.

Unfortunately, the gallery search sucks--there's no way to search for something that only has stuff from packs that you own. You can search for "Base Game," and you can search for lots that *include* items from packs you own, but nothing to *limit* the search packs that you own. That seems like something that's so obvious, I can't help but wonder if the Sims team just hates us (or is trying to nudge-nudge-wink-wink us into buying more packs). So I'm limited to just getting lots from the base game, which are...not very exciting.

Many have simply reported it as a bug , but nope they say this is by "Design". And who's knows why..
Field Researcher
#23 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperCoolRachael

Do you ever use the gallery to search for stuff that others have built? Maxis says there are thousands of uploads on it. Search ain't all that good on it either, but I use it from time to time. On occasion, I do find some pretty good builds.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury