Replies: 156 (Who?), Viewed: 5262 times.
Page 7 of 7
Instructor
Original Poster
#151 Old 26th Dec 2021 at 1:43 PM
Thank you for taking the time again! I hope you have (had) a nice and safe Christmas weekend. I'm back from my lovely holiday and have a nice sunny Christmas weekend . I'm not sure if I can set time aside for Simming in the upcoming, so my reply is quick and short.

CAS family: the curtains turned dark due to a mesh glitch when shifted down on a ground floor that's placed on a foundation, so I either have to request a mesh fix or figure out how to do this myself in Milkshape.
Thanks for the info about the backpack logo. I haven't found any other solid dark blue backpack recolors and no Eastpak recolors at all, so this was the best I could pick.

Monty: the desk is a very old one from here and I haven't found any recolors of it, so it's on my request list.

Bauernhof: I haven't found any photos of their garage area, so that's why I wasn't sure if it's a building, a carport, or just an open place between the trees. A sloped house on a foundation only works if the floor is descending (cannot raise the ground underneath a Foundation), so no foundation at all for the Fachwerk barn is the best option I think (it won't likely have a cellar anyhow).

Housing: I was more wondering in general if Maxis stoves were common for German-style kitchens if their colors match with the counters (so the cooktop + stove combo you mentioned), and if these kinds of cooking hobs were already common in old houses, or only in modern houses: https://modthesims.info/d/127495/an...eramic-hob.html
Lab Assistant
#152 Old 5th Jan 2022 at 11:05 AM
You are welcome! I spent Christmas with my closest family. We even had a bit of snow.

Bauernhof
Garage means garage. Carports also are called carports in Germany and an open space would be a "Stellplatz" or "Parkplatz" (also as a compound noun with "Auto", "Kfz-", "Pkw-" and the like at the beginning of the word).

Housing
As mentioned before, German stoves usually are integrated into a counter. Such a counter looks like this: https://www.inone-kuechen.de/img/ar...sockelwanne.jpg
The stove does not have to be one big object. The cooktop and oven of my stove are just connected by a few cables and not all of the isolating material is covered so that it would look strange if the oven was not placed in a counter.
(One of the heating elements in my oven broke during one of the Corona lockdowns and I decided to replace it myself instead of hiring a company. I was able to move the oven out of the counter so that I could reach the screws on the backside while the cooktop remained in place.)
It was difficult to find a picture of a stove consisting of a separate cooktop and oven because companies prefer to show a ready-for-use kitchen including counters or just take a photo of the front of the oven and from above of the cooktop where you do not see any other sides. This was the best that I could find: https://weltderangebote.de/wp-conte...an-Kochfeld.jpg
In a real kitchen, the countertop would be between the cooktop and the oven.
Thus, the cooktop that you linked in your posting would match definitely better than the standard Maxis stoves, but you have to place an oven beneath the cooktop because it is extremely uncommon to just have a cooktop without oven. The black color is how most rather modern cooktops look like. I have not seen white cooktops so far.
Older cooktops look more like this (also electric): https://mediamag.mediamarkt.at/file..._054b4637e8.jpg (The buttons of the cooktop usually are not directly next to the hotplates. They usually are in the upper part of the oven next to the buttons for the oven.) The change from the older type of hotplates to the more modern type took place somwhen between 1985 and 2000, but I do not know when exactly.
German cooktops usually have four hot plates, two smaller and two bigger ones.
I have seen electrical stoves with oven and the older type of hotplates in kitchens from the 50ies and 60ies. I do not remember any kitchens older than this (except in museums).
A few of the older kitchens (up to 1985) have a wood stove in addition to the electrical one. The ones that I know are similar to that one: https://www.ofen.edingershops.de/Ho..._91251077_0.jpg (except with metal instead of the glass and frequently with an additional door to hide the whole front of it)
These wood stoves are suited for heating and as cooktops, but do not have an oven. They are not used very frequently - only occasionally during winter.

One thing that came into my mind: Since 2002, there are/were subsidies for installing solar panels on the roofs of private homes. That is why many new houses have solar panels (it might also help the house owners to qualify for a credit by the KfW that offers credits at beneficial conditions). Some owners of older houses also installed solar panels, but the percentage is much lower than with new houses.
Instructor
Original Poster
#153 Old 7th Jan 2022 at 11:25 AM Last edited by Softlism : 7th Jan 2022 at 4:13 PM.
Bauernhof
Seems like I have to build a garage building from imagination. Do you know by chance some pictures of garage buildings for cars that would be fitting for this lot?

Housing
Interesting to hear that electrical cooktops were already more common in Germany than in NL back in the days. I haven't found yet a standalone oven CC that can be put in an empty counter just like a dishwasher...
I saw a lot of solar-paneled roofs in aerial views! I recall Netherlands introduced subsided solar panels a couple of years later.
How common were beds like HEMNES day bed? https://www.thesimsresource.com/sca...-600-587366.jpg
And metal framed beds like these? https://assets.blog.hgtv.ca/wp-cont...m.jpg?width=435
Also, can you recommend me any downloads from Simsforum.de?

ETA: I found out I can gain more retro furniture ideas by searching [decade] + [specific furniture] on Ebay Kleinanzeigen! However, can you recall what the main differences are between DDR and BRD furniture and interior styles?

Character design
What clothing brands were popular amongst the wealthier people in each generation?
How would you interpret a Teen's media consumption behaviour if they have zero interest points in Entertainment (music, games, pop culture), yet no high interest in Culture either (art, literature)?

Btw, I managed to modify the road & terrain lay-out of Veronaville! For now I have chosen angular roads until I get the hang of placing Criquette's roads (I can always replace the roads again in the future now I have a SC4 base). The river looks wonky because apparently I couldn't create smooth water flows in SC4, so that's something I want to refine with the in-game terrain level cheat.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#154 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 6:18 PM
Bauernhof
No, I do not have any pictures for you. The look of the garage will also depend on when it was built.

Housing
I answered based on what I saw when I was younger. There is no guarantee that these kitchens really were representative for Germany as a whole. But I still do not understand what the alternative to electrical cooktops would be. Wood-burning stoves are out of fashion for many decades and in many rural areas people did not have the option to have a gas port in their houses and regularly replacing gas cylinders is tedious (and I am not sure whether there even were stores nearby where you could get new/refilled cylinders e.g. 50 years ago). Thus, electrical cooktops with metal hotplates were the most common option in the past. At some point, the metal hotplates became out of fashion and glass ceramic hotplates (with black as standard color) became popular. Gas and induction cookers do exist, but they usually are more expensive. I only know one person who had a gas cooker around 2005 and that was a student in a dormitory in a big city. But the gas cooker was only a small one with one or two flames like a camping cooker.
If you do not find standalone ovens, I guess the best option is to use the standard EA stoves as the vast majority of German kitchens has both cooktop and oven.
None of my friends and relatives had beds like your two examples. I had a bed that could be turned into a sofa with some elements made of foamed material as back and arm rest. But when these elements were removed, the bed looked just like a regular bed without a wooden frame on three sides like in your example. At university, a friend of mine had a bed with a metal frame, but that bed looked more similar to the Leirvik bed from IKEA and that was a bit after 2005.
As I only have a minimun of CC in my game, I do not have any recommendations for you atm.
DDR/BRD: I am sorry, but I am too young to really be able to help you with this question. And even after the reunification, I only made day trips to the newly-formed states, but did not stay overnight. In general, I would assume that due to the state-directed economy you had less variety of designs for objects that you usually buy and that more people tried to create objects that you can create yourself relatively easily so that you would have a bigger variety for that kind of objects, although sometimes looking improvisational because the materials could be out of stock. In films, you frequently see that people had pictures of politicians as wall decorations although I assume that supporters of the regime did this while the majority of people did not (or maybe they kept a picture somewhere in a cabinet so that they temporarily place it on a wall when they had certain visitors - you never could be sure whether another person was secretly working for Stasi - even family members, friends and relatives).

Character design
It is rather difficult to know who is wealthier because most people try not to show off too much. And most people wore clothing with rather small and unobtrusive logos. Thus, I cannot really help with that question. For teenagers, I remember Adidas, Puma and Nike because sportswear usually has visible logos and also S. Oliver. For a bit alternative teens also Doc Martens, Chucks and Vans. But these brands were not limited to people from a certain income group.
The teens media consumption still will depend on your decisions. They still could be interested in watching TV (watching sports; reality trash shows already existed by then; or shows like TV total that make fun of scenes from other shows and internet finds) or using the computer (maybe programming if they are a nerd; being active in a forum for one of their interests; or simply to chat with their friends). Depending on the rest of the character and the interests, the teen maybe also could have a dislike for electronics. I would let the sim choose themselves and watch what they do when they have free will and an empty queue.

I guess you also have to fix the placement of the lots and the neighborhood deco. The location of the bridge looks more logical now.
I still cannot see the main road that leads to neighboring villages/towns. Maybe you can turn the road next to the river into the main street by making it longer and by not having a gap close to the bridge.
I like the layout in total better than before because the minor roads now look more like minor roads.
On the Monty side, I would add a short piece of road so that people do not have to do such a long detour to reach the bridge.
With this layout, I think that I would place the sports facilities on the Monty side - either at the end of one of the two roads that go left and end there (if you move the decoration further away) or if you add a new road that goes to the right and ends there (as there currently is not much decoration anyway).
Instructor
Original Poster
#155 Old 20th Jan 2022 at 6:18 PM Last edited by Softlism : 24th Jan 2022 at 1:23 PM.
Meanwhile, I've rearranged the lots and added some road deco, although the colors mismatch despite having Criquette's road defaults (have to take a look at my lighting mod). Also, I've built a few filler lots, like this one: https://imgur.com/a/GtN713T . Since the archived housing ad didn't contain many interior pictures, I leave it as a filler lot until I get more the hang of creating room layouts by heart. Also, I've build a church but will share the pictures later on if I'm further with decorating the graveyards.

Rauscher Bauernhof
WIP: https://imgur.com/a/jwI9Jpw
I've decided to omit the foundation for all the buildings since the main house doesn't have a cellar anyway.
Fachwerk barn: no clue to which areas of the barn these pictures belong: https://mapio.net/expose/11427354/?gallery=14 , pic 15, pic 21, pic 22. Is pic 19 taken in the big Scheune or also in the Fachwerk one?
Main house: any layout and deco suggestions for the living room, both bedrooms and the garden area? The entire family is into sports, though, so I was thinking to add some football deco to the living room.

Storytelling
Can you recall what a common age range is within one basketball team in a small town? Are boys and girls also mixed in a Ü16 team if there are too few players?
How do you interpret Sims with low to zero interest in Animals and don't roll Obtain Pet wants either? Would a cat still suit them?

Housing
Do you remember whether or not linoleum floors were also a thing in residential homes?
What kind of house do you imagine for Antonio's family? Would they have the restaurant within their residential lot, or rather in a separate OFB lot? From what I've seen in the pictures, most restaurants in small towns are paired with a hotel or a separate Wohnung on top, but that would mean an empty filler house area if I decide to build the restaurant as a separate community lot.
Lab Assistant
#156 Old 23rd Jan 2022 at 10:27 PM
Filler lots
Most houses are much closer to the street. It is also very uncommon that a house has so many stairs outside leading to the entrence. I guess it is okay to place this house in the neighborhood once, but if you plan to place it several times, it would be good if you could adjust it a bit.
Stairs like this can be very slippery and dangerous during winter. The stair railing also looks dangerous because the uupmost stairs do not have a regular railing - although that might be a lot imposter problem. I would try to place the stairs inside the house or at least build a roof for it.
Regarding interior pictures: In the TV show "Achtung Kontrolle" on "Kabel 1", they started to show a bit of the renovations in the Ahrtal. The houses are just shells and they only show the rooms where volunteers do something (and the way to these rooms),but it might give you at least a little impression of room layouts in that area. There were scenes from such renovations on TV this week, I guess on Tuesday. You can find all the episodes from the show on the website of the TV station. In this show, they frequently switch between different settings like police controls, animal rights activists etc. so that you would have to slowly fast-forward through the show to find the scenes that are interesting for you. If you are interested in all kinds of indoor scenes, you also can look at some other episodes as they e.g. show an exterminator at work.

Bauernhof
Dog pillow: If I remember correctly, 1-tile pillows are okay for cats and small dogs, but large dogs need 2-tile pillows.
Bathroom: I do not remember how the plumbings in the pictures look like, but the toilet and sink look relatively unusual to me. Most (but not all) people hide the tubes with a cover like this (unless there is a cabinet beneath the sink): https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I..._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Many sinks look like this with the cover beneath: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/3...e334a236f8e.jpg
Toilets usually have the cover integrated. Example for hanging toilet: https://images.obi.de/product/DE/800x600/182932_1.jpg
Example for standing toilet: https://cdn.de.hudsonreed.com/media...wd_seat_2_1.jpg
Toilet tanks became popular somewhen during the 90s. Before, there simply was a push button somewhere on a tube behind and slightly above the toilet. The toilet tanks that were installed in existing bathrooms usually are visible. Bathrooms that were furnished when toilet tanks already were popular frequently are hidden inside the wall.
During the 90ies, it already was common to just have a water tap on the sink. The additional metal parts on top of the sink would be more fitting for previous decades.
Why did you put a bathtub in the laundry room? I would put it into the bathroom instead or look for an alternative way to wash the dogs.
I really like the look of the bathroom on the first floor. For the toilet, I would use a plain white color without that decor. As the bathtub has a shower, I think it is okay not to place a separate one.
The Fachwerk building is a combination of house (left side) and barn (right side). Therefore, I assume that the pictures are from that building.

Storytelling
There were no basketball teams in small towns near the area where I grew up. The nearest sports clubs that offered basketball were in other administrative districts in bigger towns.
I would not buy a pet for a sim with zero interest in pets and who does not have a wish to have an animal. As interests can be changed during gameplay, I would try to increase the sim's interest in animals and maybe obtain a pet when the sim has a higher interest in animals.

Housing
It is difficult to tell apart laminate, linoleum, PVC and the like, but yes, they were and still are common as these materials are relatively cheap, easy to install (if needed, even on top of another floor without damaging the other floor) and easy to clean.
Monty restaurant: If the restaurant is in Veronaville, I would assume that he either rented the restaurant that is part of the sports club ("Sportgaststätte" if you want to google for some pictures) or in a house with an apartment on the upper floor(s) like you suggested. Veronaville is to small for a hotel imho.
With the information that I have about your Veronaville, I think that Antonio should rent an apartment or house. He grew up just ten days ago which usually is a too short period to safe sufficient money to buy a house - especially as his wife is dead and cannot contribute to the family funds anymore and incomes in the culinary career are relatively low in Germany and especially in small villages many restaurants are struggling or have closed. Patrizio and Isabella have a really huge and expensive house that does not really fit to their background as immigrant workers. Thus, it would be too unrealistic to pretend that they gave Antonio sufficient money to buy a house. Thus, just move him and his children into a rented house or apartment that you planned to place in your neighborhood anyway and only choose interior decoration that suits Antonio and his children.
If you decide to have the restaurant in a regular building instead of in the sports club, you could get some hacks that make it possible to have businesses and apartments on the same lot.
Instructor
Original Poster
#157 Old 24th Jan 2022 at 1:58 PM
Storytelling
I understood that in Germany, transportation by bike isn't as common as in NL, even in the flatter cities and the northern states. So if a rural-living Child or Teen character wants to visit someone in a Nachbarort, do they usually take a long walk, take the bus (if possible), get dropped and picked by parents, or go by bicycle through a rural road? And if they plan to stay until late at a not-so-close friend, what's the best transportation option, or do they rather sleepover?

Housing
The hilly house is originally from the hilly main road in the outskirts of Insul, and there are only a few other houses in that street. The lot imposter may lack some details indeed.

After signing up on Kabel 1, it turns out it's not available in my country! :/

Bauernhof
I realized there's enough space in the bathroom of the ground floor to place the dog bath there instead . Through recent footage of Schuld, I managed to get a better view from the subsidiary buildings, so I modified the layouts of the big barn and the Fachwerk barn. Also, I'm going to start creating AL Wood recolors for simple texture files!

The CAS Family Fachwerkhaus
I'm wondering how short I could make the front yard (if needed, I can use LotAdjuster). Here's an older pic of the front yard distance: https://i.imgur.com/0QI0g9u.png
I realized that most of the FWH with a solid ground floor don't have space for a front yard indeed unless they are a former farm with a barn door or a part of a Bauernhof complex, like this house in Hessen (based on the map view of the address, it has subsidiary buildings right behind). The only small/mid-sized FWH with space for a front yard I found are an old tiny holiday home, and one house from Insul at the Hauptstraße, though the latter one also has subsidiary buildings attached to the back.

Inspired by the main streets from Insul and Antweiler, the street at the river is going to be the main road with the oldest buildings. I may have to fiddle around with the roads to make the main road on the Monty side more smooth. I noticed that Insul, Schuld and Antweiler have many Fachwerk remainders for such small villages! (but I feel very sorry for the inhabitants of what happened)
Page 7 of 7