Replies: 23 (Who?), Viewed: 365 times.
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 1:39 AM
Default Career Chance Cards, Do You Take The Chance?
Me? sometimes , because sims can get fired from using them. One time I lost $25,000 Simoleans in the medical career when I chose not to ignore one of the chance cards, yet in the Culinary Arts Career I gained I think $60,000 Simolean's just on one chance card.

But be warned that some chance cards will take thousands of cash out of your sims bank account by choosing not to ignore, they can also be fired, promoted demoted, sometimes it's pointless in my own opinion because nothing at all will happen, sometimes sims will gain or lose skill levels do you take a chance? for story purposes at least, I don't use the story feature currently,

sometimes you get a funny story like when my lady cop ate all the donuts and lost 2 body skill points I thought that was kind of funny.

The last time I thought chance card was a good idea was when my lady lost was fired lost skill AND $25,000 Simoleans late in her life in medical career, in which don't make that much to begin with.

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with Firefox enjoy, this is a gift
me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheAngelClassicRocKMix
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 3:12 AM
Every time-life would be boring without the chance cards-like the pixel was sued and lost $15,000, which wiped out the household funds. That kind of happening makes it a bit realer.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 5:15 AM
Always. Like FranH said, it would be boring without the chance cards, they make it a bit realer. There is a freetime reward sims sometimes get they choose the correct option 80% of the time I think, more often than not. But it's still never 100% and can be surprising.

My Simblr
They/He
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 7:34 AM
I have enough difficulty mods for careers in my game that my sims already struggle to reach the top of their career, so I usually look up what the results of each chance card can be before choosing the one I pick. So while I do know what the potential risk and potential rewards of all options are before I pick an option, I do always chose something rather than ignoring them.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 7:38 AM
I've definitely been ignoring fewer career chance cards over the past few years. I also use Cyjon's Random Chance Cards so no one option is the "right" one: each option has an equal chance of being right (80% with the aforementioned FreeTime reward, 50% otherwise), and eliminates the 1% chance that both options are wrong. Also, because getting to the point that a Sim can be promoted, only to be fired via chance card, is incredibly frustrating (and possibly borderline unfair to the player), I use CJ's Fewer Chance Cards, which simply stops a Sim in a promotable position from getting chance cards.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!

Quote:
DM's Boyfriend: "Do we need to talk about your relationship with plants?"
[...]
DM: "I mean, I don't like gardening."
DM's Boyfriend: "That's not what I meant and you know it."
-- from "S*** My Players Say"
Field Researcher
#6 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 8:01 AM
Sometimes. Sometimes The Sims 2 is way too easy, so I like a bit of randomness thrown in. But when I've been trying really hard for a promotion, I'll often skip it.
Scholar
#7 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 12:31 PM
I usually skip them. I get too annoyed if I get them wrong.
Alchemist
#8 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 2:26 PM
I love the idea of them but I usually click "ignore"... its like a muscle reaction. I guess I just get too engrossed in what I'm doing and want to go back to playing instead of reading and making decisions

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#9 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 2:40 PM
I always use them.While playing the Goth Family, Cassandra got promoted 3 days in a row by using them.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 3:47 PM
I only use the actual career based chance cards, and I have a spreadsheet note of my Sims' personality points (Grouchy, Serious etc) to help me make the decision on what I think they would choose at the time and based on what is going on in their life. I very rarely choose 'ignore' as an option but I do if I think that the Sim in that situation could feasibly choose neither option and move on with their day. If however it's a situation that has to be dealt with, they have to make a choice.
I got quickly bored of the ones like 'choose ethnic food or pizza' or 'nectar or blender wedding gift' or the ones for kids in school. So I skip those ones.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 4:43 PM
I never use those crappy, hobby-based ones that came with Freetime. They are annoying, their flavour text doesn't always fit the job the Sim is doing and, at least any time I installed the game, they are seriously bugged.

With the non-Freetime ones, well it depends, if I'm working on some specific storyline or something, I might ignore the card because I don't want to be interrupted, but otherwise I quite like them and usually use them. The problem though is that, through years of playing I've started to remember what the likely outcomes will be for a couple of them, so, some of the time it's not a surprise anymore.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 8:11 PM
I used to have no choice in the matter in the past on my old computer though that's not the case anymore as I would either ignore them or disable them with a Mod.
Theorist
#13 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 8:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
Every time-life would be boring without the chance cards-like the pixel was sued and lost $15,000, which wiped out the household funds. That kind of happening makes it a bit realer.

As FranH said.
I use a custom career for the mayor. She once won 12 000§ but the game gave her 12 millions. It would kill the fun for me so she send the excess back.
I only hit "ignore" when I get blank pop-ups.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 27th Nov 2021 at 3:49 PM
Most of the time, yes. As others have said, it adds to the realism, adds an element of surprise, and has the potential to steer the story in a different direction. I click ignore very rarely and that's if I have things planned out for that particular sim. I even do the hobby chance cards, even though the scenarios and flavour text make little sense sometimes and bore me. Even the rewards and punishments are lacklustre; the game actually thinks I care whether or not my sim gains or loses cuisine enthusiasm because I don't. Some hobby chance cards can even lead to your sim getting the sack, which is nonsensical; why does a sim's job in music rely on what cuisine they decide to bring to a gathering of passionate chiefs? It's stupid!

In short, I always do career chance cards, unless I have a specific storyline planned out, while I also do the hobby ones, but think they're stupid.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 27th Nov 2021 at 5:27 PM
I try to, but they always seem to pop up when I'm invested in something in game and am too impatient to stop and read lmao. So I usually just click something random since the good outcomes almost always change anyway
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th Nov 2021 at 7:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalFlame360
Most of the time, yes. As others have said, it adds to the realism, adds an element of surprise, and has the potential to steer the story in a different direction. I click ignore very rarely and that's if I have things planned out for that particular sim. I even do the hobby chance cards, even though the scenarios and flavour text make little sense sometimes and bore me. Even the rewards and punishments are lacklustre; the game actually thinks I care whether or not my sim gains or loses cuisine enthusiasm because I don't. Some hobby chance cards can even lead to your sim getting the sack, which is nonsensical; why does a sim's job in music rely on what cuisine they decide to bring to a gathering of passionate chiefs? It's stupid!

In short, I always do career chance cards, unless I have a specific storyline planned out, while I also do the hobby ones, but think they're stupid.

the worst chance card I came across so far was in the medical career and my lady was fired, and had to pay a $25,000 fine and lost skill it sucked bad because I was trying to save up for a bigger home, but I went to the neighborhood without saving because, $25,000 is a hell of a lot of money to lose on top of being fired. this was in the Medical Researcher job of the base game medical career.

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with Firefox enjoy, this is a gift
Scholar
#17 Old 27th Nov 2021 at 9:40 PM
Always.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 10:53 AM
Also, always. I'm playing a game, and the rewards usually outweigh the risks. In terms of narrative, failure can get rather juicy.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 11:12 AM
It depends on things - a bride who has a wedding party after work can - and since it is my game - hardly be shaken up right before the wedding
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 2:15 PM
You could set asperation benefits to enable plea for job, that could help in bad chance situations

Mad Poster
#21 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 3:39 PM
I do play the chance cards - just not every time they come up. I'd find that boring as well, to be honest. Especially since the outcome may also be good every time
Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Nov 2021 at 8:58 PM
I hate when my sims get fired from the chance cards, especially if they are far into their career, and sometimes the game will make sick jokes like when my guy was fired and had to pay a hefty fine I think for disturbing, a saber tooth Llama fossils, it said his reputation would go down in the chance card it didn't he was only fired and had to pay money for disturbing the archaeology site.

Other times a chance card like in the politics career if you choose to help some the chance card said that your boss or someone says thank you in mouth movements and nothing happens no promotion, just your boss appearing to say thank you not even in real words.

Instructor
#23 Old 30th Nov 2021 at 7:15 AM
I modded them out since I always clicked ignore anyway. Unless I play the Apocalypse Challenge, that is.
Link Ninja
#24 Old 30th Nov 2021 at 6:36 PM
Yes, because I can't help myself. I must know what will happen! Sometimes it lands my poor sim in some trouble but that drama is the spice of life in the gameplay!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.