Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#8151 Old 24th May 2020 at 12:01 PM
Yeah I get those wants all of the time, and fulfill them. Most of the time I select the career that matches their lifetime want, so if you don't, maybe that's why you've never got it before.

Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
That reminds me: SentryBots zap burglars, Cow Mascots, newspaper thieves and trash can kickers, but do they fly out and zap gnome thieves and flamingo kickers too? I don't think I've ever had any of my Simmy roboticians put lawn gnomes on their lots, and none of my Sims has pink, plastic flamingos because almost every one of them has a garden, which means occasionally calling the Garden Club for quick cash rewards (and Wishing Wells, for the families with the greatest gardens), and pink flamingos will damage your Garden Club inspection score.

I recently learned that a flamingo on the lot means the couple living there are swingers. So maybe the garden club members disapprove of that lifestyle.

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#8152 Old 24th May 2020 at 1:28 PM
There's a want about sim wanting to befriend five service sims. I might have noticed this before too but it still manages to surprise me for a moment.
Mad Poster
#8153 Old 24th May 2020 at 2:14 PM
I haven't played for awhile so I forgot that Sim kids could have snow days. I'm not surprised given how much snow is on the ground.
Mad Poster
#8154 Old 24th May 2020 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrewInTheSky
Uhm I could swear my sims roll this kind of wants quite often, when they just need one more promotion before getting to the top. I might be wrong, but I noticed that it happens with sims who's career matches the aspiration (not necessarily their LTW), whilest sims that have a random career don't usually care about work and promotion.
But that's my game, it could be a mod related change, for what I know

Many pixels (especially if they're family aspiration) will not roll a career want in a vanilla game. It's all about relationships or families, so there's no a huge need for a career. Unless you have SimBlender or the bat box to change their LTW. But I think the silliest LTW is to eat grilled cheese sandwiches. That's a good reason to change it in my opinion.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#8155 Old 24th May 2020 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
But I think the silliest LTW is to eat grilled cheese sandwiches. That's a good reason to change it in my opinion.

That's kind of the point though. A sim can only have a LTW to eat grilled cheese sandwiches if their Aspiration is Grilled Cheese. Since Grilled Cheese sims are so obsessed with those sandwiches, I'm not sure that it's even possible for them to have any other LTWs unless Freetime is installed and that sim is given a secondary aspiration.
Scholar
#8156 Old 24th May 2020 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
almost every one of them has a garden, which means occasionally calling the Garden Club for quick cash rewards (and Wishing Wells, for the families with the greatest gardens)

You get rewards and Wishing Wells from the Garden Club? I didn't know that. I think I've only called them a couple of times, years ago, and found them pretty boring. Maybe I should try again - I'd love for a Sim to have a Wishing Well.
Mad Poster
#8157 Old 24th May 2020 at 10:01 PM
I only see the "reach top of career" want rolled after a sim has satisfied their first LTW, rolled a second LTW that is a career want, and then gotten a job in the relevant career. For some reason it never rolls before the satisfaction of the first LTW, even if that LTW was a career want and the sim was in the right career.
Instructor
#8158 Old 24th May 2020 at 10:15 PM
Many pixels (especially if they're family aspiration) will not roll a career want in a vanilla game. It's all about relationships or families, so there's no a huge need for a career. Unless you have SimBlender or the bat box to change their LTW. But I think the silliest LTW is to eat grilled cheese sandwiches. That's a good reason to change it in my opinion.

I was going to add the most of the times I see it happening with Fortune Sims, definitely not with Family Sims (although I rarely assign it as main one)! To be fair, the grilled cheese one is quite peculiar even for the kind of wants and it was meant to be a "bad" aspiration, probably because it affects the gameplay so much. I found much more annoying stuff like "x pets reaching the top of the career", "owning x top business" and "have x lovers" because to reach them you need to focus just on those activites...
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I only see the "reach top of career" want rolled after a sim has satisfied their first LTW, rolled a second LTW that is a career want, and then gotten a job in the relevant career. For some reason it never rolls before the satisfaction of the first LTW, even if that LTW was a career want and the sim was in the right career.

Again, I wouldn't say the same for my game because my Sims usually stick to one job for their whole life (unless I pick a random one until I get the LTW) - but I can't really say if it's because of any mod installed or by default
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
You get rewards and Wishing Wells from the Garden Club? I didn't know that. I think I've only called them a couple of times, years ago, and found them pretty boring. Maybe I should try again - I'd love for a Sim to have a Wishing Well.
I agree :/ I think I was able to get it just once or twice in the whole time I've been playing lol definitely not to be done in winter (frozen plants) or fall (leaves everywhere). Although having Mrs. Crumplebottom coming out of the well is priceless <3 lol
Mad Poster
#8159 Old 24th May 2020 at 11:30 PM
"Reach of top" wants are more specified. They appear when sims reaches lvl 8 of specific build. Reach of top career appears when sim is promoted to lvl 8 in career. Reach of top in hobby appears when sim reaches lvl 8 in hobby. Reach of top in skill appears when sim reaches lvl 8 in skill. Excepion is in Uni when sim reaches Senior year, then Graduate want appears. These wants will go fast away. If you do not lock them when they appear, they will not appear later anymore.
Scholar
#8160 Old 25th May 2020 at 4:19 AM
Hans' Trap Door Corp. is actually a pretty fun community lot. I am playing a lot of my Sims downtown right now and that is where I placed the jobs board, so many of them have been going there. There is a lot of activity and socialization for a lot where it doesn't seem like a lot is going on.
Field Researcher
#8161 Old 25th May 2020 at 4:41 AM
There was an attack Sentry Bot created by SimWardrobe that you could sic on anyone you chose.

And I found it!

https://web.archive.org/web/2016041...imwardrobe.com/
Under "Robots"

You will notice that it's an archived page but it still is live and the downloads work.
Or, for a more... reliable link, https://simfileshare.net/download/257939/.

Some days, I feel like the main promoter for Bulbizarre's SimWardrobe archive.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Mad Poster
#8162 Old 25th May 2020 at 4:58 AM
I've been finding it more fun to start out in a blank terrain template and to just start with the barest essentials for a newly started community to survive with at least an outdoor farmer's market on the service center lot and another empty residential lot of the largest size and have a homesteading couple move in and gradually start growing the town with getting the first settler established and moving other couples in over time.Trying to populate a large town and play a big population right away was too much and I almost laways left some house holds out.
Inventor
#8163 Old 25th May 2020 at 6:26 AM
Whelp, I just noticed a strange but humorous occurrence; this is the first time it happened after I got the Less Attractive Vending Machines hack. Just when a Sim had bought a soda, another Sim swiped it from his hand and tossed it in the bin. This left the first Sim's hand in a frozen position as if he was still holding onto the can, until he bought some chips off another vending machine. I guess the soda was somehow tainted and that other Sim realized it right away, so he ended up doing the right thing.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Mad Poster
#8164 Old 25th May 2020 at 6:42 AM
Shy sims really don't like dirty jokes. They still roll wants to tell them for some reason, though. This seems like a mod that needs making.
Field Researcher
#8165 Old 25th May 2020 at 7:21 AM
I discovered that a house full of dogs can make a toddler pass out. I usually let toddlers roam free and choose their own activities, so they can play with a toy boat instead of a skill toy if they prefer; at that age there's no need to be goal-driven high achievers! This toddler lives in a house with a dog and three puppies, and all four dogs crowded around him wanting to interact with him all night. He should have been able to go to sleep on the Tiny Tykes Sleepy Mat at any time... but with multiple dogs all queueing "Cuddle" one after the other, the kid never got the chance to make up his mind what he wanted to do and eventually he collapsed. I suppose it was neglectful of me to watch the cute way the puppies kept coming up to him and not check his needs - but I knew he wasn't hungry, dirty or lonely, and he should have been able to take care of bladder and energy without my help!
Inventor
#8166 Old 25th May 2020 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien

You have to wait a few days between Garden Club visits, but yes, if your household has a good garden, then Garden Club inspections can mean another source of income for your Sims. Wishing wells are even better than cash rewards alone, though wishing wells do have diminishing returns. Better garden scores mean bigger rewards from the Garden Club, so to that end:

1) Make your garden a decent size for a better score; at least sixteen garden plots (give or take) should be good. Fruit trees count too; I think that one fruit tree equals four garden plots, in terms of garden size, but I could be wrong.

2) Ensure that all the plots are fertilized and that the plants growing from them are Healthy, if not Thriving. Sickly or Dead plants will drag your score down. If, say, half your garden is Sickly, consider either postponing the inspection or composting all of the Sickly plants and starting fresh (but not if you're only two days from Winter, or you'll probably just end up wasting seeds).

3) Proper watering is essential to a good score too. If your plants are brown from underwatering (which is only a problem if you don't have enough sprinklers installed in your garden, in which case, why don't you have enough sprinklers?), then send a Sim out to "Water Many" the garden before you call the Club over for an inspection. And if your plants are brown and dripping water from overwatering, unfortunately, there's no quick fix for overwatered plants; consider postponing the inspection if too many plants are overwatered (a likely problem if your lot has had too much rain) and/or if overwatering's not the only thing wrong with your garden.

(I'm still not sure if a properly watered but Sickly plant is worse for your score than an overwatered but Healthy plant. I'm inclined to guess that Sickly plants are worse than overwatered plants, so if I see a few Sickly plants, I'll water them just to see if they jump up to Healthy; if they do, I call the Club. But your mileage may vary.)

4) Be sure that your garden plants and/or fruit trees are tended before calling an inspection. Plants and trees can grow ragged at any time — even during an inspection — so if possible, keep a Sim or two on standby, ready to tend the garden immediately on seeing any plants or trees become overgrown. With any luck, your Sims will get those plants and trees trimmed before Tiffany notices!

5) Place ladybug houses around your garden to help keep bugs from infesting your garden plants and fruit trees. Each ladybug house has a reach of about two or three tiles, so make sure that your garden has full ladybug coverage. If you're not starved for Simoleons, consider building a greenhouse around your entire garden instead; then there will be no need for ladybug houses, and you'll be able to keep your garden — and Garden Club inspections — going through the Winter! (Rain puddles will damage your score, but snow and Dormant fruit trees won't. More on puddles in a bit.)

6) Don't forget decorations! Fountains, ground lights, well-trimmed shrubs, properly watered flower beds, ponds with aquatic plants, statues...these and more can improve your garden score. But don't use the cheap decorations, like the aforementioned pink flamingos; those are considered "trash" by the Garden Club. On that note...

7) Don't leave any of the following sitting around outside during an inspection: trash, holes, weeds, puddles or leaves. It's probably a good idea to not call for any Garden Club inspections during the entire season of Fall/Autumn; I can't tell you how many times I've had my garden score damaged when some random tree suddenly decided to shed its leaves while Tiffany Zarubin and her posse were walking around mid-inspection! Yes, there's nothing you can do to stop the leaves from falling, and the Club will count the leaves against you anyway. (Sure, you could skirt around that issue by simply not having any deciduous trees on your lot, but then you're denying yourself cheap and easy sources of compost and Cleaning training, especially in the long run. Plus, if I remember, the trees themselves improve your garden score too!) If your household has any dogs, keep an eye on their Bladder needs; if a dog's Bladder is getting low, have a Sim take that dog for a walk so the dog doesn't pee and make puddles on your lot during an inspection. And if any wolves show up on your lot during an inspection, chase them off your lot immediately; wolves love to dig holes and destroy flower beds!

8) If possible, have a Sim with a Gold Badge in Gardening walk around and talk to all the garden plants and fruit trees until they're all Thriving, then call the Garden Club. Having Sims like that in your household can all but guarantee a perfect garden score.

It can be quite a bit of work to maintain a Simmy garden, but the promise of sparkly food and Garden Club rewards should make your efforts worthwhile. Best of luck!

"$21! Oh, how COULD you?" --Kankritty
Mad Poster
#8167 Old 25th May 2020 at 8:29 PM
One problem I thought was a mod conflict was resolved by solving my neighborhood corruption problem. Leftovers, of all things. Put them in the fridge, and when the sim went to get them out, I could choose leftovers on the pie menu but the choice of leftovers screen was empty. Now my leftovers are back!

However, I still have empty pixels at the cleavage of skin-tight female outfits like the leotards. Sigh.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Field Researcher
#8168 Old 26th May 2020 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ac220
Don't repeat my mistake and miss out for months on the neat feature UNI adds: working cellphones.

Catching up. Sorry I missed this.

It took me a while to figure out cell phones. Most of my first gens did not have them, then I made a solo Uni student so I could playtest University before any of the mainline kids went to post secondary. Harvey Solo was a popularity sim, and he rolled a phone want, so I got him one. Then I realised how powerful a tool it was. It helped him a lot. When I got teenagers in the main hood, they all rolled the want, so they got them. Soon, some of their parents adapted to the tech, because it was so damn handy. Today ( I'm on gen 2/3 now) most of my sims have phones, with only a few elder hardcores relying on the landline (of course, they have kids at home with cellphones so it's a charming situation).

The adaptation curve here is familiar; it's like what happened in my own life.
Scholar
#8169 Old 26th May 2020 at 5:06 PM
Thanks, @Pizzatron-9000. Considering how many of my Sims grow their own food, it seems I really should be calling the Garden Club!
Field Researcher
#8170 Old 26th May 2020 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
Hans' Trap Door Corp. is actually a pretty fun community lot. I am playing a lot of my Sims downtown right now and that is where I placed the jobs board, so many of them have been going there. There is a lot of activity and socialization for a lot where it doesn't seem like a lot is going on.

It has a tight layout, all on the same floor, and a lotta clothes, and sims love browsing, which raises their fun. Certain other clothing stores have awkward layouts, are too spread out, or just don't have enough merchandise. IMO.
Mad Poster
#8171 Old 27th May 2020 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by saskganesh
It has a tight layout, all on the same floor, and a lotta clothes, and sims love browsing, which raises their fun. Certain other clothing stores have awkward layouts, are too spread out, or just don't have enough merchandise. IMO.

It's also got plenty of room to expand to other floors if you have merchandise from later expansion packs. You can make one floor into a pet store, add a food stand to another, etc.
Forum Resident
#8172 Old 27th May 2020 at 4:57 PM
Visiting townies can in fact die on a playable sim's lot. I have picture proof.
It does take longer for them to die, it seems. Poor unfortunate soul Joel stayed on the lot for like three(?) days before dying of I'm assuming hunger. I'm not sure, I only noticed he died when I didn't hear him cry about wetting himself and complaining about not being able to sleep (which is weird considering there was a perfectly good bed in the basement I locked him in).
So yeah, you can kill a townie by trapping them in a basement. Next up on my testing list is seeing if you can kill a playable (General Buzz) in a similar manner.
Screenshots
Scholar
#8173 Old 27th May 2020 at 6:08 PM
Saw the want to inherit money from another Sim for the first time. Blossom wanted to inherit money from her husband Ripp. Kind of ghoulish, if you ask me, but it did prompt Ripp to invite over the General and try to mend fences with them. That's someone they could conceivably inherit money from in the near future.
Mad Poster
#8174 Old 27th May 2020 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
Saw the want to inherit money from another Sim for the first time. Blossom wanted to inherit money from her husband Ripp. Kind of ghoulish, if you ask me, but it did prompt Ripp to invite over the General and try to mend fences with them. That's someone they could conceivably inherit money from in the near future.

Remember Sims can only inherit money from someone they're on good terms with who dies of old age. Basically she wants to outlive him, not leave him alone, and she wants him to not die early, which in your game, IIRC, is a pretty common occurrence.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Link Ninja
#8175 Old 27th May 2020 at 10:56 PM
I don't know if this is old news, but me, I've never really used Lounge chairs near TVs or in living rooms (mainly kept them in studies or by the pool) but there is interesting, different child animations if they sit on the lounge chair and watch Tv that I never knew existed.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Page 327 of 445