Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 11th Sep 2022 at 12:04 AM
I just use the strict definition of how many generations the sim is from the founder. And sure, this is going to result in some generation 4 sims being younger than some generation 6 sims in my neighborhood, but that's fine. The problem is how to figure it out for sims that aren't directly descended from the founder, in which case I calculate one or more indirect generations based on the generations of their partners, siblings, parents, etc.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 12th Sep 2022 at 9:17 AM
I simply cannot be bothered. Perhaps I am just too intent on enjoying playing the game to worry about which generation a sim belongs to, or should belong to or whatever. To be very honest, I am not even that good (nor trying to be) with keeping ages in sync. As long as my game makes sense to me, I am happy and play on
Mad Poster
#28 Old 12th Sep 2022 at 2:20 PM
I'll record that for an entire town based on the first families to arrive at the town level and also record it seperately for each family according to when they first arrived and joined the town population.It can result in some sims of their family's first generation being younger than third generaions of older families residing in the town.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 3:23 AM
@MHS0501 I do the same thing as what you mentioned with "the round they're born in", except I give it four rounds, so that I can have a good number of sims in each one. There's still age gaps between them with this system but I don't mind it right now. Might change later, I don't know!

What I've concluded is that there might be no perfect system and we're all just vibing with what we like Thank you for your addition!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 3:26 AM
@kestrellyn That was one of the reasons I wanted to change my system! Originally, I did the same thing; Sim A's children are a generation below, just like that. But when I started including extra sims I knew their children wouldn't fit correctly into any generation. I feel bad because I had some sims who belonged in my "uncategorized" tab in my spreadsheet :D. In my new system, every baby who is born, belongs somewhere.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 3:28 AM
@Justpetro Of course! Everyone should play the way it's fun to them! Some of us are just organization freaks. I'd be too anxious playing a neighborhood without keeping track of everyone and what they do, but that's just me of course!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#32 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 3:31 AM
@TadOlson How do you decide where to include your newcomers? Do you match them to the current generation your main descendants are at? Or do you give them their own categorization?
Mad Poster
#33 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LauraPamplonaS
@Justpetro Of course! Everyone should play the way it's fun to them! Some of us are just organization freaks. I'd be too anxious playing a neighborhood without keeping track of everyone and what they do, but that's just me of course!

And that works for you, so it is the right thing for you to do
Scholar
#34 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 12:10 PM
I use the Story Progression mod or totally forget. its great! pictures below are my attempt at controlling the generations.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#35 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 9:49 PM
I have a townwide generation based on the arrivals of the original founding families which would be the first few of the couples to arrive and settle there.That tells what the town's generation is and is used for keeping track of how old the town is and it's linked to the first few couples living in the town.The next level of the generation is the household's own generation and it's tracked based on when the first members of that family which would ususally be a couple arrived to start new lives though it could be a single sim or a family in later town generations when the community is much more established.
Forum Resident
#36 Old 17th Sep 2022 at 10:30 AM
For my intermittently-played TS3 game I keep track of generations, because I'm doing a Perfect Genetics challenge (sort of) so which generation some sims belong to matters, and practically everyone is descended from my founder (he had 13 children by 10 different women, and over 40 grandchildren). There I have complicated rules about which generation someone belongs to, depending on how closely related to the main line they are.

In Sims 2, I don't bother tracking generations. I largely play Strangetown, and Glarn Curious' grandchildren range in age from Johnny Nigmos-Smith, whose eldest child is currently at university, to Selina Riley-Curious, who has only just started school (and there may well be another one, at some point, who probably will be fairly close in age to Johnny's eldest grandchild). So trying to define generations would be silly.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 18th Sep 2022 at 12:33 AM
@Sims2Christain I don't know what to say about that! lol Care to share what you have going on there?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#38 Old 18th Sep 2022 at 12:40 AM
@KittyCarey That's interesting!

I guess what I'm concluding is that it totally depends on the gameplay style. I understand why some people may not benefit from generational gameplay and might not even want to worry about the organization sense of it, because it simply doesn't fit their game! What you said reminded me of the neighborhood I was playing before my current one; I started with a single sim, and I got her to have as many children as I could, and then I played each one of those kids as the founding families, and since they were all related, the goal was to find townies and other sims they could partner up with, and in my head, the generations were pretty straightforward; I didn't even feel the need to organize them. However, now, I started my new neighborhood with 28 strangers, I let them start their families however they wanted, and because there was no relation between them, all their kids were basically available for becoming a potential romantic interest to anyone who was interested, and somehow this was part of what sparked my interest in generational gameplay.

Anyway, thank you for your addition!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#39 Old 18th Sep 2022 at 12:40 AM
@TadOlson Got it! Thanks
Scholar
#40 Old 18th Sep 2022 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LauraPamplonaS
@Sims2Christain I don't know what to say about that! lol Care to share what you have going on there?

Reached the population limit, without additional Sims none of the current generation can have children due to being recognised as family members to everyone else. a slight study on extinction vortex followed trying to analyse the situation and produce further generations.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 5:00 PM
Any premade sims are sorted into first and second generation by whether or not they have a living parent that also has the same last name. So Cassandra Goth is the oldest Generation Two while baby Broke is the youngest at the start of Pleasantview. Mary-Sue is Generation One because the Oldies have a different last name and because I forgot about them when making the rules. More the second reason than the first. Babies take the Generation after the later gen parent. So if a gen three and gen four sim have a baby, the baby is gen five.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Link Ninja
#42 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 6:27 PM
I look at the individual family mostly, if the kids on the tree are 5th in line they are a 'fifth' generation sim, their parents are 4th, and so on. They could have peers that are only 1 to 3 generations down their own lines, depending if their family was added to the hood later in time.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 1st Oct 2022 at 10:28 PM
@LyokoGirl5000 I think I'd do the same if I played the premade neighborhoods often. I've never played them seriously and I mostly make my own.

"So if a gen three and gen four sim have a baby, the baby is gen five." I do the same right now! Though that used to be one of my biggest conflicts, since I didn't know what to do if a sims' parents were of different generations. Thanks for answering!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 1st Oct 2022 at 10:29 PM
@Charmful I get that! Thanks for answering!
Page 2 of 2