Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#251 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 6:26 PM
I took the Weather survey, along with another which asked me about: Exotic Island,
University/Boarding School, Reality Show Star.

Allow me to repeat something I said upthread about the Weather survey:

The last question had to do with various types of items (EPs, SPs, store items, venues, and worlds) and how often I'd want to purchase said items. The options for how often were: "less than once a year," "once a year," "once every six months," "once every three months," "once a month," and "more than once a month."

So there are a couple of possible ways of looking at the new rounds of surveys where they ask about multiple new EP ideas...

1) They want to make it seem like Weather isn't a solid future EP by asking about other EP ideas which they know the community has been begging for. i.e. They're muddying the waters...

2) They are planning on releasing new EPs at a much more concentrated rate than the current "once every six month" time period. If the new EPs are not as fully functioned as we're used to, this could be possible -- especially if some "new" features (like playing the stock market) are already in the base game's code. Also, if they've been working on various EP concepts over a long period of time already (like how to integrate weather), these new EP concepts could be nearly ready for roll-out...

OR

3) They're trying to triangulate on what players are MOST interested in seeing as new EPs. Because one of the questions at the end of the new set of surveys was about selecting which of the three options you preferred, rather than placing in descending order your rating of each of the new options. It may be that all of these items will eventually be released as future EPs, but EA's trying to decide which to make priorities and which to put on the back burner...

Someone upthread said that EA surely had a plan of which EPs they'd be doing for TS3 even before TS2 ended, and that's probably true. However, lagging sales numbers may have made them start reassessing those plans...
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#252 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
  • Money - We already have many ways to earn simoleans, plus cheats, so what's the point?
  • University - Has potential, unless they segregate it from the rest of the game the way they did in TS2. If they go that route, I'll pass on it.
  • Farming - Yes. Yes.
  • unReality TV - definitely delving into MMO territory with that one.
  • Island life - I'm getting Barnacle Bay flashbacks with that one.

I'd like to see the University concept allow kids to live at home and attend higher ed, rather than have to leave home and move to campus, especially if "child prodigies" can also attend University, as their concept stated. And especially since we'll see adults able to attend Uni. How will adults attend uni and maintain their families back home if the Uni EP is a separate game like it was in TS2?

The Reality TV Show Star is another way of utilizing SimPort and other online options, since your Sims can become "real" internet stars (apparently by uploading videos to YouTube or Facebook). Totally not interested in this...

When I saw that some people were asked about farming, I squealed like a pig. Literally. And I'm not ashamed to admit that...

As others noted, the Exotic Island option folded in OFB aspects, but then they didn't specifically ask about the business features when they were asking us to rate our favorite and least favorite features... For me, having the possibility of running shops and hotels would be AWESOME, even if I'm not too crazy about the rest of the stuff in the Exotic Island EP. "Island Time," making your sims' needs easier to manage? Really, EA?

A Cruise Ship or Theme Park EP would also be awesome. I'd buy those in a heartbeat.
Top Secret Researcher
#253 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by writerchick

The last question had to do with various types of items (EPs, SPs, store items, venues, and worlds) and how often I'd want to purchase said items. The options for how often were: "less than once a year," "once a year," "once every six months," "once every three months," "once a month," and "more than once a month."

Unfortunately EA will never realize that the frequency of releases is not an issue. It's the quality (ha ha, I mentioned quality when discussing EA) of the product that matters, combined with the all-or-nothing bundling of the contents in each EP and SP.

Any EP they produce that includes the weather effects is almost certainly going to include a bunch of stuff that I will not want in my game. Guaranteed. Seasonal festivals may sound great as a concept, but the current crop of devs at EA are bound to include with those festivals a whole bunch of grindy crap that I absolutely would loathe and that will cause me not to buy the EP. And what they don't make grindy, they'll find some other way to bork up. Look at Pets. If I have a horse, he trains himself? Seriously WTF? What the hell happened to having sims do some crazy thing like maybe my sims having interactions with the damn horse so that the sim is training the horse?

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Mad Poster
#254 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 6:50 PM
They can't do anything without releasing a bunch of patches for bugs affecting thousands of minor and major things. I'd prefer for them to get a new development team, and focus on making a well running Sims 4 for four years or so while the people are reeling over Hivemind.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Top Secret Researcher
#255 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 6:51 PM Last edited by Ive : 30th Apr 2012 at 7:06 PM.
  • Money - We already have many ways to earn simoleans, plus cheats, so what's the point?

I don't think the point is to earn even more money. It's more that maybe the sims can have circles of group of the same standing, kind of like celebrities, only with simleon signs instead

I have tried making a little upper group of snobby sims. But can never manage to do it. The snobby trait only makes the sim a bit harder to please. And just like in real life rich people can buy privileges that most people can't afford. Where does that stop sims other than a big house and a nice car? I would love to have sims buy themselves into the social circle of the famous, or a workaholic earn for working hard, not just showing up...

Believe me I hate my sims having too much money, but I do like diversity in my game and something like this could make it more apparent that not all sims can afford the same.

Edit: Maybe even a expansion surrounding wealth could have a tax system that you set just like ageing. So that bills aren't so cheap and the economy would be more balanced. One could hope

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Top Secret Researcher
#256 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 6:56 PM
Seasonal festivals may sound great as a concept, but the current crop of devs at EA are bound to include with those festivals a whole bunch of grindy crap that I absolutely would loathe and that will cause me not to buy the EP. And what they don't make grindy, they'll find some other way to bork up.

Yeah, that does seem to be true, doesn't it? I actually have given up expecting EA to not bork something up. I just hope they put the basic code to do 'things' in the game and then we have 'smarter than EA creators' like Twallan, Twofootmama, and Shimrod, among others, to fix the stuff EA borked. It seems to be easier to fix than to add from scratch for the most part.

I don't like that we have to do this but I like playing The Sims 3. One thing I might start doing though is waiting to buy stuff until the fixes are released. EA loves to have people pre-order because they buy BEFORE they know how bad the glitches are in the game. I have actually had EPs and SPs sit on my desk for months while I waited for patches and fixes. Those first week sales of a game really make the shareholders happy! So...if they are not going to release games that work that first week, why shouldn't I wait to buy them?

I noticed that asked that on the survey. The only pack I would pre-order is the farming one. The rest I would wait on and I might not even buy the Billionaire one. I definitely would not buy the reality show one..eww.
Mad Poster
#257 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ive
I don't think the point is to earn even more money. It's more that maybe the sims can have circles of group of the same standing, kind of like celebrities, only with simleon signs instead

I have tried making a little upper group of snobby sims. But can never manage to do it. The snobby trait only makes the sim a bit harder to please. And just like in real life rich people can buy privileges that most people can't afford. Where does that stop sims other than a big house and a nice car? I would love to have sims buy themselves into the social circle of the famous, or a workaholic earn for working hard, not just showing up...

Believe me I hate my sims having too much money, but I do like diversity in my game and something like this could make it more apparent that not all sims can afford the same.

I agree with you that the point would not be to earn even more money but rather to be able to spend all that money. But the sims don't work quite like real life so I'm not sure how being rich would make a difference in the sims other than be able to afford more expensive stuff. Prices and cost of services are fixed and same for everyone, it's not like they are getting better service for higher costs.
Top Secret Researcher
#258 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
I agree with you that the point would not be to earn even more money but rather to be able to spend all that money. But the sims don't work quite like real life so I'm not sure how being rich would make a difference in the sims other than be able to afford more expensive stuff. Prices and cost of services are fixed and same for everyone, it's not like they are getting better service for higher costs.

And they didn't do such a great job with celebrities. Yes, they are chased by the press and everyone wants to be their friend, but really, it is not all that exciting. My celebs don't only hang out with celebs and giving them the snob trait doesn't seem to change that.
Top Secret Researcher
#259 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 7:21 PM

Yea I understand it wont be quite as straight forward. But just bigger differences (more expensive and very cheap items for both "sides") Better taxation system. Services that cost more, like a permanent nanny that will teach your kids things and maybe even home school. And just generally rich sims attract other rich sims, and normal sims want to live like them (Jealousy etc). Clothes, shoes and accessories that can be bought and will only be usable after that (and they cost!). It could even give a moodlet to the sim, and the sims around them. This is something I miss especially from TS2, limited clothing to the families.

It's the small interactions that make it for me

By all means this is not enough to warrant a whole single expansion and should have been in SHT/LN. But I would not mind it being introduced with something else.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Alchemist
#260 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 7:36 PM
I'm not in the least bit interested in fame and riches. The opportunity to include those features in the game has come and gone, and I am sick of hearing about it. Yes, it is a let down to know they are tossing around those ideas as well as Seasons. Just mess off and make a Seasons expansion, yeah?
Scholar
#261 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well a couple of things off the top of my head... I would think the game would not drive wealthy sims to get a job and they might increase domestic staff to more than a butler. Nanny, anyone? And lastly, if the helicopter is ever to make a reappearance, or rather an appearance, I would think this type of expansion would be the most likely vehicle for it.
Top Secret Researcher
#262 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 7:48 PM
Wow..those are great ideas but I really doubt EA will go that deep. It will be more about buying 'stuff' and belonging to exclusive clubs, most likely. I first want stuff that I can use for all my sims..then, maybe we can worry about those poor rich folks!
Forum Resident
#263 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 8:29 PM
Don't some of you get the Tycoon vibe from some of those concepts? Not really my thing; if it were, I'd still be playing Rollercoaster Tycoon
Top Secret Researcher
#264 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 8:47 PM
Yea I understand it wont be quite as straight forward. But just bigger differences (more expensive and very cheap items for both "sides") Better taxation system. Services that cost more, like a permanent nanny that will teach your kids things and maybe even home school. And just generally rich sims attract other rich sims, and normal sims want to live like them (Jealousy etc). Clothes, shoes and accessories that can be bought and will only be usable after that (and they cost!). It could even give a moodlet to the sim, and the sims around them. This is something I miss especially from TS2, limited clothing to the families.

It's the small interactions that make it for me

By all means this is not enough to warrant a whole single expansion and should have been in SHT/LN. But I would not mind it being introduced with something else.

Sims don't have anywhere near enough interactions among family members as it is. I certainly don't want to relinquish what little we have to a nanny.

Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy
Don't some of you get the Tycoon vibe from some of those concepts? Not really my thing; if it were, I'd still be playing Rollercoaster Tycoon

I never played Tycoon, so I'll take your word for it.

Instructor
#265 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 8:51 PM Last edited by purexevil666 : 30th Apr 2012 at 9:15 PM.
I'm not excited for reality show EP i mean enough ih fame! I already have tons of celebs thanks to LN and SHT :/
Top Secret Researcher
#266 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acid_fairy

I wondered if people were going that way with the Farmville comment! LOL

The Sims 3 is still categorized as a simulation/strategy game. Sims 3 has moved further from that than the rest of the series because they thought it was too hard and tedious for the players. I loved the simulation/strategy elements of the game and I think the boredom some of us feel is because the game is now just too easy! There is little challenge there. I don't know if you played OFB, but that pack was very much strategy based but I did not feel I was playing a tycoon game, something I don't care for either.

Tycoon games are based on simulation/strategy but they usually have a more light humorous feel with less depth than the sims games.

A farm pack (or any sort of venue inclusion such as hinted at in the surveys) can be done without that tycoon feel. Having your family run a business or a farm (which is a type of business) and earn their living through that business would be a lot of fun and closer to the open professions but with with more detail. I think most of us enjoyed the business aspects of the previous series, such as making your own bread or canning fruit to sell or running a restaurant or nightclub. The goal was not to rack up points like in a Tycoon game or to complete challenges (like EA tries to get us to do) but to have an alternative way for your sims to make a living rather than using the EA careers.

I really hope EA includes some of these in future EPs because that is probably what I miss most about the game. This sort of 'career' is so much less repetitive than climbing up the career levels or putting out dozens of fires that all seem to be the same in the end. We need more challenge and less repetitiveness in these games!
Top Secret Researcher
#267 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by purexevil666
I'm not excited for reality show EP i mean enough ih fame! I already have tons of celebs thanks to LT and SHT :/

I don't know how well Late Night sold, but judging from the dearth of apartments and LN venues available for download here compared to other lot types, I don't think it has been very popular.

Mad Poster
#268 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 10:13 PM
Hey, I still play RCT in my spare time. The deaths are so funny. It got me into playing TS1!

Personally I just about died at all of these - I'd be happy with ANY of them over catering to "teen girls" (I am a teen girl and hate what they've put out, what is this sorcery) and "hipster folks," to be quite honest with you. I'd love, LOVE, LOOOOVEEE a University expansion pack, but all of them sound good for machinima which is what I do with TS2 and want to get back into with TS3 once we have a decent amount of working, fun objects.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Mad Poster
#269 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Periandre
Well a couple of things off the top of my head... I would think the game would not drive wealthy sims to get a job and they might increase domestic staff to more than a butler. Nanny, anyone? And lastly, if the helicopter is ever to make a reappearance, or rather an appearance, I would think this type of expansion would be the most likely vehicle for it.

How would the game know when the sim is too wealthy to hold down a career type job? Besides, it's totally unrealistic as most rich people actually work to maintain their income and lifestyle. Why not just have them retire or become self employed?
Top Secret Researcher
#270 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 10:47 PM
I don't know how well Late Night sold, but judging from the dearth of apartments and LN venues available for download here compared to other lot types, I don't think it has been very popular.

According to SimsVIP, Late Night and Pets are the most popular expansion packs. I think Late Night sold quite well.

There are loads of apartments on other sites as well as venues. I have some idea of why MTS has fewer but honestly, the focus here is different.
Forum Resident
#271 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 10:48 PM
How would the game know when the sim is too wealthy to hold down a career type job? Besides, it's totally unrealistic as most rich people actually work to maintain their income and lifestyle. Why not just have them retire or become self employed?

Paris Hilton works? I thought she partied all the time. My bad...
Top Secret Researcher
#272 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 11:01 PM Last edited by Ive : 30th Apr 2012 at 11:27 PM.

Could be the same as with the LTW to have a certain amount of cash. Maybe after that is reached you get summoned to the City hall or w/e to talk to the mayor. He offers you to join his secret little circle of rich friends and tells you you can quit your job with no hassle.

Or if stock market and that was introduced there would be an income from that. Or extend careers so that it has more than 10 levels. The new top one could be no work days but still get paid every day. Like the scandalous rich in real life.

Mad Poster
#273 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 11:20 PM Last edited by crocobaura : 30th Apr 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by writerchick
Paris Hilton works? I thought she partied all the time. My bad...

Well, someone must be working in her family if she can afford to party all the time.

Or if stock market and that was introduced there would be an income from that. Or extent careers so that it has more than 10 levels. The new top one could be no work days but still get paid every day. Like the scandalous rich in real life.

That's like owning every business venue in Sunset Valley, after a while you start wondering what else to do with the money.
Top Secret Researcher
#274 Old 1st May 2012 at 12:17 AM
Hence why you could have things to spend it on.
Can multiple sims from different families own the same venue?

Scholar
#275 Old 1st May 2012 at 1:08 AM

Well, I'm not saying they're too wealthy to hold down a career type job... just that they don't choose to. And I imagine it would determine it in a similar fashion to how the game decides that Sims are rich. So if you were playing someone in that category and you switched to a different household they would not be dragooned into some career to be someone's co-worker or boss. Some rich people continue to work, but some with inherited wealth don't work and live off of investments and trust funds. I don't think Bill Gates continued to work to maintain his income and lifestyle...

If the stockmarket part of the game were made functional and integrated I'm sure there would be plenty of opportunities for them the lose their fortune as well.
Page 11 of 111