Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#251 Old 26th Aug 2012 at 6:07 PM
Will do, Sample. Thanks again
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#252 Old 26th Aug 2012 at 7:16 PM
I imported the INI files over again and found the settings for midnight sun in the sky INI for Bridgeport:

Quote:
;; Number of degrees off the sky's "equator" for the sun and moon. An offset of 0 would indicate
;; tracking the equator exactly. Values approaching 90 become fairly degenerate; with the sun rising and setting
;; near the same pole in the sky. A strong astronomical argument could be made that the Starfield and SUn offsets should be
;; identical, but they can be tuned separately anyway...
SunDegreeOffset = 90
MoonDegreeOffset = 10
StarfieldDegreeOffset = 90

I set the sun and Star to 90, It was 20 I think. It looking like a golf ball at the moment, but this is the result. It won't go any further down below the horizon then this.

NewINIfiles by Volvenom, on Flickr
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#253 Old 26th Aug 2012 at 8:54 PM
@Conor- let me know if you want those clouds tweaked- although I'm sure you'll figure it out for yourself!

@Volvenom- Thanks for that, very interesting! I did a load of test on this a while ago, and I found in my notes:
Sundegreeoffset=90 and moondegreeoffset=0 makes sun and moon stationary in the sky.
So not entirely accurate for midnight sun, is there any way to make the sun move across the sky but not beneath the horizon, I wonder?

StarfieldDegreeOffset = 90 gives sideways moving stars
That was in my notes too, may be interesting for an alien type world maybe!
Lab Assistant
#254 Old 26th Aug 2012 at 9:07 PM
Sample, played a few simdays and all was good. No blockiness to be soon. *crosses fingers about everything else *
No, I think the clouds are fine. I don't want it to be too dreary, anyway. Enough of that in real life. ; )

Anyway, thanks a bajillion for all the help! :]
dodgy builder
#255 Old 26th Aug 2012 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
So not entirely accurate for midnight sun, is there any way to make the sun move across the sky but not beneath the horizon, I wonder?

... but I think it moved earlier, I think it moved now too. I didn't really check if it cross the sky though, perhaps not. I will check later.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#256 Old 26th Aug 2012 at 11:55 PM Last edited by simsample : 27th Aug 2012 at 9:24 AM. Reason: Typo!
@Conor- Oh good, I'm glad they are working okay! There's an overcast and stormy weather in there too, so very rarely Rinn Fada will have bad weather!

@Volvenom- I need to do more testing, when I wrote those notes I'd spent several hours experimenting with sky setting, so I think I was going cross-eyed by that time! So maybe you'll find it better than I remember.
Test Subject
#257 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 5:37 PM
Hi SimSample
Hiya, I spoke to you through my fourum thread and you asked me to post any further problems here, so here we go, ill just quote your message:
Quote:
Okay, if you want to do this for just one world then you need this method:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=459198
Which was linked previously be cameranutz2.

Please read that thread, and try out some of the EA colour ramps and ini files- I would recommend the files for Sunlit Tides, which are 'tropical colours'.

If you find some you like then you can work to modify those, using the information in that thread.

Please reply in that thread if you have any more issues. Also, please edit your previous posts if you have something to add, instead of posting several times in a row. Thanks!

I've already downloaded it before, and I just find it too hard to do things with it... Please can you explain as simply as you can what to do with the Sunlit Tides files???

dodgy builder
#258 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 7:36 PM
LunarEclipse: as I'm working on that now ... the ini files you edit in s3pe, the dds files you need image editing program and a dds plugin to fix. The dds files is the colors in your world, the ini files control things as fog, light, clouds, waves and so on.
Test Subject
#259 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
LunarEclipse: as I'm working on that now ... the ini files you edit in s3pe, the dds files you need image editing program and a dds plugin to fix. The dds files is the colors in your world, the ini files control things as fog, light, clouds, waves and so on.

Ok!! I just downloaded a mod for it instead, even though it does every single world it'll do, I cant be bothered getting confused!! Ta
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#260 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 10:09 PM
@LunarEclipse8- you just need to find the world file (if it's a custom world you've installed through Launcher, it will be in Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\ Installed Worlds). Then download the Sunlit Tides files, extract them and follow the instructions here:

You need S3Pe:
http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...1nb1&board=19.0

Open the [worldname].world file in S3Pe. Click Resource>Import>From file and browse to the location of the extracted files. Make sure 'replace duplicates' and 'use resource name' are ticked. You can tick 'compress' too if you like!

Click Import, then File> Save. That's it! The resources are imported. You can now test your world in game.

That's the bit from the third post that's relevant, there's such a lot of information there because I'm trying to make people learn about the files and discover new things, rather than construct a tutorial.
Test Subject
#261 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 8:39 AM
@LunarEclipse8- you just need to find the world file (if it's a custom world you've installed through Launcher, it will be in Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\ Installed Worlds). Then download the Sunlit Tides files, extract them and follow the instructions here:

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] You need S3Pe:
http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforu...1nb1&board=19.0

Open the [worldname].world file in S3Pe. Click Resource>Import>From file and browse to the location of the extracted files. Make sure 'replace duplicates' and 'use resource name' are ticked. You can tick 'compress' too if you like!

Click Import, then File> Save. That's it! The resources are imported. You can now test your world in game.[/COLOR]

That's the bit from the third post that's relevant, there's such a lot of information there because I'm trying to make people learn about the files and discover new things, rather than construct a tutorial.

YAY!! Thanks so much, it's worked! You awesome guy!!!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#262 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 2:54 PM
Well done for getting it to work!
Test Subject
#263 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 5:26 PM
Well done for getting it to work!

Ta! But now, i'm having problems with create a world! I bet its the same for everyone but after this latest update, theres not been a CAW update, so its not loading up it says:

Quote:
Your currently installed version of the game is not compatible with Create-A-World. You must reinstall Create-A-World. First back up your world files and uninstall Create-A-World. Then, download the new version of Create-A-World and install it.

There isn't one! I've tried several times doing all that and still that notification appears!!!

Oh dear!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#264 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 6:15 PM
Yeah, you just have to wait until EA release the CAW update (that's assuming that they are going to release one, I always worry!).
Test Subject
#265 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 8:39 PM
Yeah, you just have to wait until EA release the CAW update (that's assuming that they are going to release one, I always worry!).

How do you tell when it's out???
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#266 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 10:49 PM
You can't unless you download it and try, for sure. Although if you check out the comments on the Create-a-world forum on the Sims 3 site you can usually find some information to indicate the situation.
Test Subject
#267 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 12:52 AM Last edited by propackets : 5th Sep 2012 at 4:34 AM.
Hello, here are the ini and ramp files for Moonlight Falls.

Haven't done any testing since my game is already patched at 1.38, will have to wait for CAW update before I can check them.

EDIT:

Using the files with a custom town right now. I love the lighting at night.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Moonlight Falls.zip (26.3 KB, 58 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#268 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 3:33 AM
THANK YOU!
Sorry for the caps, but these are very useful to me!

"It's written amazingly well... but if you don't take out the part that says, "I don't care if you kill L", I'll die." -L Lawliet
Test Subject
#269 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 1:07 AM
When I try to import .ini files from the Ini files in the base game (.../ElectronicArts/Sims3/GameData/Shared/Nonpackaged/Ini) S3PE does not read them, and when I go to the folder in which I have placed them, nothing can be imported. I have no idea why. I've had a similar issue with DDS files, but I've sorted that out. Windows describes the files as "configured settings", and on Claeric's post they are labeled the same but they work for him. I do not rename them. Is it a problem with saving them? I do move them before I edit them, but S3PE does not even read the .ini files in the Ini folder.

Thanks.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#270 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 12:36 AM
@propackets- Thank you for those! I added them to post #3.

@GrayOwl- If you are trying to make a custom sea/sky for a single world then you should use the files described in this post, not the basegame files. For the basegame files, you need to generate the correct hash instance to make them work, but that would be more suitable for a default replacement (file that works for all worlds, not just one).
Test Subject
#271 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 1:26 AM
Ah, okay. Thank you.
Test Subject
#272 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 8:12 AM
Hello guys,

I tested the water and sky from Lucky Palms and everything was right,
but now I noticed, that I have some problems with the graphic in my world.
Is there a opportunity to reset the files or to restore the original base game files?
( I used the method with S3PE and the import of the ini files).

It would be nice if someone could help me.
dodgy builder
#273 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 10:21 AM
I can't load the original Bridgeport or Starlight Shores files with my world. It won't load. I have just installed Supernatural and I wonder if this has something to do with it? I used s3pe, opened my world, clicked on resource, import and imported EA's original files for both worlds in case there's something wrong with the files. It should have been a piece of cake. I read the first, or rather second post over again to see if I did something wrong, but I can't find anything. I redownloaded the files and made a new backup of my world to play with even. Nothing works. I even triad without Microsoft Visual Express.

Alex: you should have made a backup of your world. If you didn't you still should be able to just remove the files you imported. If you import new files, you can delete both the new and the old files. That option is just if you can't find the files of course. Sorry if I'm being disorganized.
Test Subject
#274 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 12:51 AM Last edited by GrayOwl : 12th Sep 2012 at 4:03 AM.
Hi, thanks again for the tutorial. I managed to do it somehow, but there are still somethings I'm not sure about, such as in the images I've attached below of my color ramp (for clear) and my sky at 11.00. I'm using Bridgeport ramps and ini's, and I have color ramps for clear, partly cloudy, overcast, and stormy. I am not using the custom ramp or ini. Additionally, the ini concerning water parameters and the inis concerning lighting and sky (..._534 the former, ..._5E2 the latter, these are the first 2 digits of the last string of numbers, hope that makes sense) are in my world. The problem is the sky, and the atmosphere of the world. The blue looks far too light for the color in my ramp, and there is a bright fuzziness on my hills. Unchecking fog in CAW doesn't do anything to it, nor does darkening the sunlight color on my ramps.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#275 Old 14th Sep 2012 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrayOwl
Hi, thanks again for the tutorial. I managed to do it somehow, but there are still somethings I'm not sure about, such as in the images I've attached below of my color ramp (for clear) and my sky at 11.00. I'm using Bridgeport ramps and ini's, and I have color ramps for clear, partly cloudy, overcast, and stormy. I am not using the custom ramp or ini. Additionally, the ini concerning water parameters and the inis concerning lighting and sky (..._534 the former, ..._5E2 the latter, these are the first 2 digits of the last string of numbers, hope that makes sense) are in my world. The problem is the sky, and the atmosphere of the world. The blue looks far too light for the color in my ramp, and there is a bright fuzziness on my hills. Unchecking fog in CAW doesn't do anything to it, nor does darkening the sunlight color on my ramps.

As to the 'bright fuzziness', I think I may have experienced something like this before, when using Appaloosa Plains ramps and INIs. I noticed a bright reflection on objects. Take a look at posts 67, 68, and 69 in this thread, on page 3. If that is the same problem you're experiencing, try using different INIs with your color ramps, that worked for me.
Page 11 of 18