Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 12:49 AM
Default If only I was born as...
Imagine you could change one of your inborn, otherwise immutable traits, but you would still be the same person (same personality, values, beliefs). Would you want to change anything? If so, what would you change and why? How would your life be different? Even if you wouldn't really choose to change, is there any swap that you'd be particularly curious to experience?

Examples include: your race, the place or time period in which you were born, your sex, your height.

Disclaimer: This question is not about what/who is better/superior, just about personal preferences. Please don't make this a debate thread. Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 1:18 AM
Screenshots

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 2:10 AM
I'd remove my tendency to procastrinate, and also the belonging anxiety of various things that often cause it. Would make things a lot easier for me, because I'd get things done. In time. With time left over to do the things I'd normally do first.

It sounds so easy to just do it in the opposite order, but it's not. One part of my brain prioritizes fun over sensible, and that part likes to jump up and down on the sensible part of my brain until it gets hit by panic and runs away. I can be extremely effective when that happens, but it's also very stressful. Like trying to get through nine books in one day for an exam when I've really had a month...

(also, being a boy that week a month would be a nice swap... . I'd also like to be taller. But I'd gladly swap those two against the above...)
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 2:22 AM
A penguin. I wish I was born a penguin. Life would be much simpler.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
#5 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 2:25 AM
I wouldn't change a thing. My weaknesses keep me humble, and if I wasn't humble I'd take over the world in no time.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 3:39 AM
I don't think I'd change anything about myself, but I'd like to literally put myself in my mom or grandma's shoes. The former because I want to know why she dislikes animals and cosmetics so much, the latter because I want to know more about her history.

Although all my relatives say grandma would never talk about her time as a village girl in China, I saw an old photo of her that resembles a Chinese Marilyn Monroe. I wonder what would happen if she had ended up acting in Shanghai's film industry. Even if she was the sort of person who wears trousers instead of skirts.

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Theorist
#7 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 3:40 AM
Less to no social anxieties/better social skills. It blocks me already for whole of my life in different ways and it's something a bunch of people never seem to be able to understand. I wanna be less to not depressive as well, but I hope that would be happen anyway with the first change.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 4:00 AM
I wish I was born without all the physical, mental and neurological disorders that plague me every day and have done so since time on Earth for me began. I also wish I was fully female in every sense of the word and straight.

My parents instead got me, with Dad's autism to a slightly stronger degree, every psych problem between mom and dad, my stubborn paternal grandmother's bladder, my family's propensity to lose our gallbladder at a certain age (a good portion of our family lost theirs and we consider it a rite of passage into the family) I'm polysexual and am considered chaosgender, even though the body I have is what is considered female, I deal with a variety of genders, some with animal names, but it means I behave in the animals' typical behaviors.

To be perfectly honest my parents don't deserve a high maintenance diva when they have a "Don't Say Gay" gag rule

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Theorist
#9 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 5:15 AM
Rich. Filthy, stinking, unreasonably, 1% of 1% rich.

I figure I could afford to be as screwed up as anyone ever if I just had an annual income that lingered around the GDP of moderate sized nations. You know, the kind of money where you couldn't possibly lose it all under any circumstances outside of your horribly OSHA non-compliant secret bottom-of-the-ocean lair blowing up and polluting the Atlantic Seaboard, or a zombie apocalypse.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 7:21 AM Last edited by r_deNoube : 25th Sep 2015 at 7:31 AM.
Theorist
#11 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 7:51 AM
Not ( as ) mental and wealthy. Like it's not enough for me that I was privileged enough to be born in a first world country and be middle class, because of this topic. I wouldn't ever have to worry about losing money and being taken down a peg because of rich asshole loophole tactics, like how the family that owns Walmart donates a tiny bit of their wealth to a charity that they own ( that even has the word Walmart in its title ) so they can get a huge tax break. It's sick.

But whats less sick and more ridiculous is how I will have plenty of lazy time to write and illustrate a book called "Don't become a Criminal, Become a Cryptozoologist" because we absolutely need the future generations to successfully lobby for Loch Ness Monster national holiday and Chupacabra-Mas.
Inventor
#12 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 8:34 AM
I wish I was born without the predisposition for metal illness, and I wish I was born without my sensory disorder, because then I might never have developed my eating problems.

My boyfriend always wishes he could have had some culture. His family is from India, but all the "Indian" has been "bread out" and my boyfriend looks whiter than white bread (except when he was a kid, he was super tan, everyone called him Mowgli, which he loved because that's his second favourite Disney movie).
He wishes his family had kept up with the culture and traditions, because he feels like as an 'White British' person he has no heritage that he can celebrate.
His biological grandfather is supposed to be Jewish, but he isn't sure because he was absent in his mothers life, but that's what he's been told.
He isn't religious and has no interest in joining the Judaism but he wishes he could say "I'm Jewish" instead of "I'm English".
He could say it and get away with it though, with his hair and facial structure, if he got a tan he could pass for an Israeli.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 9:03 AM
I have wondered how my life be without a constant uncontrollable self-destructive pattern. But funny enough, even though I'd like to change these behaviors, I know that if I did I'd be losing a part of myself as these behaviors are a major aspect of my character.

It is of common norm that people with mental illnesses should get help, but I often question why. Why should we? If we did we lose those abnormalities that make us unique and define our character for good or bad. You wouldn't tell a homosexual to get help, so why do the same to someone with Bi-polar disorder or Autism?

I guess when family or friends pressures one into attending therapy sessions, said experience leads one to question.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 12:30 PM
It would be much easier to be an extrovert as extroverts are good at interacting with others and so get the most benefit from living in societies.

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 12:46 PM
Someone who is not lactose intolerant because cheese is literally the best food ever.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 12:56 PM Last edited by HarVee : 25th Sep 2015 at 3:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
It would be much easier to be an extrovert as extroverts are good at interacting with others and so get the most benefit from living in societies.

As someone whom has studied this extensively, I'd like to inform anyone reading Its not that Extroverts are better at social activities and Introverts are worse, its that their minds processes their energy differently. Extroverts focus their energy on the outer world and therefor absorb energy from interactions that have them largely focusing their attention outward, where as Introverts are the opposite. However this in no way makes one better than the other at socializing. A person can be Extroverted by nature and yet be horrible at socializing. The opposite can apply for Introverts.

Also, a common misconception is that introverted people are loners, which is untrue. Introverts need more down-time after extensive socializing due to processing their energy internally. Where as Extroverts can interact in social settings for longer periods of time before needing down-time.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 3:30 PM
Yes, that's why people at work are so surprised when I tell them that I'm an introvert. I enjoy talking with my colleagues, I'm well-spoken, and I love to joke around, but they don't realize how much it takes out of me! I need all my evenings and weekends alone (or with just my partner around) to recharge.

As for my answer to the question, I'm a woman and don't feel that I'm transgender, but sometimes wish that I could become male. People would take me more seriously as a manager, and my straightforward manner would be seen as assertiveness (which it is) instead of "bitchiness." I relate better with guys than I do other women, and sometimes I feel it would simplify things if I could just blend in with them instead of being "the girl" of the group.
Theorist
#18 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 3:32 PM
I wish I was not so neurotic and scared of everything. It's really stressful when everything causes me worry and anxiety.
I would like to be more positive and not so depressed-like, and always so down about things I can't control.
I wish I had charisma. Even the one place I'm not shy (online), I don't really make friends. I don't know how to be charming and funny in a normal way, my sense of humor is weird at best.
I wish I was smarter. Like crazy smart, reverse-engineering machine code kind of smart, who can open a hex-editor on an unknown file and can tell by looking what's going on. Smart people like that is what made modding sims games possible.
I wouldn't mind being just a little bit taller. I like even numbers, an even 6' would have been better (I'm 5'10").

If I had all those things, I think my life would be very different. I'd probably be a different person, which might not be a good thing because I don't know that I'd want to lose myself.

Resident wet blanket.
Theorist
#19 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 5:21 PM
My tallness (over 1.90 m) is one of the few things I would not want to change. I only want to be a few kilo's heavier, around 80 instead of around 72.
Scholar
#20 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 7:03 PM
I would trade being born in 1991 for being born before 1981 or after 2011. I have a feeling we're going to be going through many years of terrible pop culture: the Bieber, the Kardashians, the Fifty Shades, the Jersey Shore, the Call of Duty, the mobile games...

Early-wave Millennials are so nostalgic for their childhoods (and even times before their own) compared to previous generations, because pop culture went down the toilet when they grew up. I would rather experience good pop culture while it is fresh, not when it's retro and they no longer make it the way they used to.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 7:36 PM
I would have superpowers for sure.
Scholar
#22 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 10:36 PM
As the page was loading: potato

Now that I know what this post is really about:
Living at the start of the Cold War in the US, or the late 1970s to early 1980s (for the lols).
Imagine everything being gender swapped for a month! Like everything, a parallel universe kind of thing. What you would have been had you been born male rather than female and vice versa. Sometimes I think I'd less judged if I were male, also curiosity is a thing, so I wanna know what life as a dude is like. I like to think that if I were a dude, I'd be super good looking
Superpowers like teleportations, walking through stuff (but not getting stuck), and invisibility.
Ooh life with with an identical twin? Would Me2 be "nice" or "evil"? Would we even get along? Or would we be creepy similar? What if we were different, but Me2 turned out to be crazy evil and like ended me and assumed my identity successfully because Me2 can act?!

A less lazy and more studious version of me would be nice, if none of the above can be done (including the potato)
#23 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
Superpowers like teleportations, walking through stuff (but not getting stuck), and invisibility.
Ooh life with with an identical twin? Would Me2 be "nice" or "evil"? Would we even get along? Or would we be creepy similar?

This!! Instant teleportations to anywhere simply by thinking about it, and an identical clone .. Oh .. the possibilities ...
Scholar
#24 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Thranduil Oropherion
This!! Instant teleportations to anywhere simply by thinking about it, and an identical clone .. Oh .. the possibilities

Teleportation NEEDS to be a thing. I'm not walking 8 flights of stairs from the canteen to some random room for a class. You're either planning world domination, or something dodgy
I should just be a sloth. Yeah, I'll be a sloth. Or a lion. They sleep a lot too
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#25 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 11:32 PM
Oh, goodness no. I'm awesome as I am, no reason to go changing anything. :D

No. Seriously. While I am awesome-ish, I've always thought that I was born in the wrong century. I've got a lot of old fashioned ideas and beliefs that have made my own mother look at me in disbelief. While I like the modern conveniences we have, I wouldn't really miss them. I don't like how busy and noisy the world is today, I prefer a slower pace and a hell of a lot less noise. (If it helps any, my grandma used to tell me I have an old soul.)
Page 1 of 2