Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2019 at 12:20 PM
Default How about Chinese
Hello! I am learning Chinese and for practice I decided to start translating games. And of course I decided to start by translating the Sims. I would like to find people who also learn Chinese and with whom we can share our knowledge and discuss games. :lovestruc
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th Nov 2019 at 1:12 PM
Good luck with that, learning new languages is always interesting! I'm learning Japanese now and I use a lot of apps and videos for studying, also here is a good site for getting help in overall studying (I'm still a student and it's really useful for me). Anyways, I think it's a good way to learn with your favorite things.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Nov 2019 at 1:59 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Nov 2019 at 2:18 PM.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the Sims games already have Chinese translations?
(For menus, textboxes, etc.)

TS2 has Simplified and traditional Chinese as possible languages (I have no clue what the difference is, since I haven't learned Chinese - and yes there are probably different versions of the Chinese written languages, but I guess they had to simplify the choices)
https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...e_Game_Language

TS3 seems to have only Traditional Chinese, and I'm not sure about TS4 but I'd guess it has the same. No idea about Sims 1 (can't find any info on it), but my guess would be it does.

Maybe one option would be to change the ingame language to Chinese, so you could read the text boxes and navigate the game in a different language? It could be quite useful.

Back when I decided to get better at English (outside of what I'd learned at school, which I quickly learned had been very basic), I found it quite useful to read books and watch movies in English (either English or no subtitles), because while I didn't always understand all the words, I could understand them from the context (tried a dictionary, but had some issues with that due to not finding the words). Translating pieces of text did help somewhat, but at the same time some of the meaning had a tendency to get lost in translation. Instead I started writing in English (a bit messy at first, but I think I've gradually gotten better), and whenever I wanted to use a way of saying things that worked in my language but didn't work in English (idioms, for instance), I'd try researching to see if there was a different way of saying the something similar in English. Now I'm at a point where I don't always register if a text is written in my language or in English, and sometimes remember the English word for something first (which sometimes is quite annoying). Anyhow, there are a lot of approaches to learning new languages, and if you find a way that works for you, go ahead
Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Nov 2019 at 2:48 PM Last edited by Viteyvah : 9th Dec 2019 at 12:55 PM.
I also study Chinese, but I only learn it for a year, so probably my knowledge will not be enough to help with the translation. But I would love to chat with you. I don’t often meet people who play Sims and learn Chinese. When I do any kind of translation, I always use this service https://www.translate.com/ it always helped me.