Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 11:26 PM
Default Is there a way to ... quit school?
It went from slightly annoyed to extremely annoyed when this household of sims are always forced to go to school.

Both parents died in car accident. Older sister (Teen) is forced to quit school to take care of younger brother (child). Formerly having a very pampered life (parents make very good income), she has no practical skill used for making a living. Evicted out of their 40x40 $230,000 home, with money forced to pay off debts by parents' business (imaginative). They have to live in a 10x10 lot with a large tent, roofless broken home and eat off lunch truck.

The girl resolves to stealing (Kleptomaniac trait) which didn't work out too well (not for me anyway, having to replace everything she stole manually). She ends up taking part-time job at the spa + working in sweat shop (Inventor at consignment store). And she kept on missing works because .............. she always goes to school whenever I am not looking!!.

If this keeps up, it will be impossible to make ends meet.

AwesomeMod has an option to disable school (that sims must enroll manually). But somehow it does not even work. And my Teen sim never seems to miss a day of school when she is supposed to be working 2 jobs. While when she was still a princess, she always managed to miss school.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 11:28 PM
If you delete the school lot then you cannot go to school therefore there is no school.

Experience a truly beautiful and unigue neighbourhoood http://gatescove.weebly.com
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rileyjcquinn
If you delete the school lot then you cannot go to school therefore there is no school.

Nice, but ... umm ... other households still have kids that need to go to school.

Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 12:38 AM Last edited by babele44 : 25th Apr 2011 at 12:56 AM.
I think twallan has a mod for that. He has a mod for everything, I guess.

And, btw, you must be really lucky if your non-active kids go to school. I find mine usually in the park, the graveyard, the hospital, the bookstore, the library, the bistro - everywhere but the school. So, deleting the school might actually be beneficial for them, because then they cannot fail and your town will not be littered later with insane, mean-spirited, evil, kleptomanic moochers.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 4:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
I think twallan has a mod for that. He has a mod for everything, I guess.

And, btw, you must be really lucky if your non-active kids go to school. I find mine usually in the park, the graveyard, the hospital, the bookstore, the library, the bistro - everywhere but the school. So, deleting the school might actually be beneficial for them, because then they cannot fail and your town will not be littered later with insane, mean-spirited, evil, kleptomanic moochers.

I am playing with Story Progression off. Although sometimes I wonder if this means anything to TS3 as I find my personal sim (aka myself) wandering in strange places when I switch back to that household, along with strange happening with the rest of the "main households" I am playing. And this is, once again, with Story Progression off.

I always get messages from butlers charging weekly salary, even my active household is the the one with a butler.

Inventor
#6 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 4:54 AM
Even with Story Progression off, non-active sims will still be seen going places in town. SP off just keeps them from getting married, changing jobs, having babies, moving out of town, etc.

kittens!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 5:43 AM
I know Twallan's Career Mod has homeschooling...maybe that would suffice? I haven't tried it myself, but I think she still has to do homework, but at least she wouldn't be forced to be in a RH all day. You might want to try it out.

It's kind of a shame there's no "drop out" feature in Sims 3. I don't think that'd be terribly controversial, and I think it would add some variation on teen life. Honestly, I don't even know what happens if teens do really bad in school or stops going...does the social worker come? All my Sim kids/teens are such goody-two-shoes apparently
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#8 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 8:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
I am playing with Story Progression off. Although sometimes I wonder if this means anything to TS3 as I find my personal sim (aka myself) wandering in strange places when I switch back to that household, along with strange happening with the rest of the "main households" I am playing. And this is, once again, with Story Progression off.

I always get messages from butlers charging weekly salary, even my active household is the the one with a butler.
Like wickedblue said and like others said in your thread about story progression, SP off will not prevent non-controlled Sims from leaving their houses. In fact, SP off will give them almost nothing else to do but leave their houses and roam the countryside. Because if I am not terribly mistaken, Story Progression is also responsible for pushing Sims to go to work and school. At least with twallan's SP and Awesome Mod, pushing non-controlleds to work and school is part of Story Progression. Turn these off and the situation I described above will become reality quickly.
I usually start a new town with SP and Aging off for 1-3 Sim weeks. This gives me enough time to make in-game changes with my town's population for SP later to catch up with. The disadvantage of this is that quite often by the time I turn SP on again, half the town is then unemployed and does nothing but wander around, stuff their faces in the restaurant and pee themselves in public.
Test Subject
#9 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 6:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rileyjcquinn

Yeah but how do you delete the school I cant find it on the map
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#10 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 1:04 PM
That building where all the schoobuses take the children Monday through Friday would be the school. Go into Edit Town and delete that particular building.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Feb 2015 at 5:47 AM
I would normally be able to solve an issue like that by registering the kid as being home schooled.I do that for all newcomers who have no skills and newly aged up children as well as any who live too far from any school.
#12 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 1:03 AM
Sometimes, my teen retreats to the basement with 100s of apples, and locks himself in so he can't get scolded for skipping school or flunking out. Comes out only when Mom's away or asleep.

It doesn't seem right to me, because while Mom goes to work and makes some paltry salary, the teen learns the science trait and makes lots of money at the science station cloning things like plasma bugs. So, here little Billie made a hundred thou' simolians, and when mom gets home, what happens? You'd think there would be some gratefulness there! But oh no! Mom goes nuclear! Buffs fly and relationships go negative...

Does that seem right to you? It's like Little Billie Gates goes off and makes 50 billion bucks, do you think his mom and dad chewed him out for dropping out of college? "Billie, you dropped out of college, now you'll never get a good job! Quit playing with your friends at Microsoft and get a real job!"

Yeah, right. Dedicated the new law school building to his father and the ol' Physics Building is now "Mary Gates Hall". And he did tell his parents he was dropping out of Harvard to go create the Microsoft company. Did they chew him out? Nooooo.... But in the sims.... Anyway, I digress....

Here's what I'm going to try next - Mom gets the "workaholic" trait, and make her a firefighter. I suspect that she'll never come home, and the problem is solved!

Beats my old method: little Billy is a pointy eared green alien, and drops a meteor on poor ol' mom. I'll take three days of -80 modelet over 2 weeks of chewing out or locking the teen in the basement. Stupid little Billy keeps trying to get out!
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 2:03 AM
Nraas Master Controller + Cheats module.

Look for how many days is needed to your teenager becomes an young adult.

Click on the teenager, Nrass => Master Controller => Intermediate => Carreers => Days Off: Schools => add the same amount of days.

Sorry my bad english, and sorry for digging up this thread.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 2:46 AM
Wow, this is my own topic started in 2011

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 5:13 PM
delete the school bus everytime it comes to your lot.
#16 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheKleptomaniac
delete the school bus everytime it comes to your lot.

You can do that? How do you do that?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
You can do that? How do you do that?

ctrl shift T, then type in testingcheatsenabled true, then while holding shift click on the school bus and an option should show up to delete it. Same goes for any objects or sims.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 6:24 PM
It's ctrl + shift + C, not T.

I don't know what impact testingcheats shift-click to delete is going to have on your game if you delete the school bus that way. There are mods available that allow you to disable the school bus sevice safely. Though your sim kids will still have to go to school, with or without a bus to take them there, unless you have a mod that allows for homeschooling.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=410296

But I would strongly suggest never deleting sims of any type that way. All that does is delete their body, their data remains and the entire game can easily become corrupt as a result. The safe ways to delete sims are to evict them from their house (and hope they just wander away) or use MasterController's Total Annihilation function.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by b00lpr0p

Click on the teenager, Nrass => Master Controller => Intermediate => Carreers => Days Off: Schools => add the same amount of days..

Wow! I didn't know you could do that with Master Controller. It may be a good way to give my sims vacations or sick leave from school. Thank you

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Test Subject
#20 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 1:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spladoum
That building where all the schoobuses take the children Monday through Friday would be the school. Go into Edit Town and delete that particular building.

Sims 4 doesn't have a bus or a school building... :P
Forum Resident
#21 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:50 PM
Good thing this is a Sims 3 thread then, isn't it?

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Instructor
#22 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 10:11 PM
Sometimes one has to wonder what value school offers to a sim. More often than not the only thing a sim learns by going to school is how to go to school (and do homework). Perhaps a sim is better off cutting school and spending time developing useful skills? Unfortunately, the game really limits skill development at an early age.

By cutting school all the time, your sim will pick up one or two negative traits, depending on whether the sim cuts both elementary and secondary school. However, it is quite possible to buy off these bad traits by spending points. So the question is whether you sim can acquire more points by skipping school and doing other things? In most cases, the answer is yes.

On the other hand, I don't see any value in a child school skipping school unless you are going to remain in control of them and make sure that they spend their time productively. So anything involving a kid autonomously skipping school is not likely to result in the kiddo doing something productive.

A kid making more money than a parent should be possible. However, having it done with a logic skill seems a little bit off. It would make a lot more sense with a music or singing career. I mean just think of all of the real life pop stars who have made oodles of money as kids -- like Taylor Swift. In fact it has always bothered me that sims don't peak as young adults in certain professions, like music and professional sports. It would seem that in these professions, young adults should be at their peak, and by the time they become adults they are all washed up. It just seems weird to have an elder become a top athlete or rock star.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 5:17 PM Last edited by igazor : 1st Sep 2015 at 11:14 PM.
The purpose of school isn't to build skills, although that can be arranged with mods and things like custom specialty schools. The real purpose of school is to foster conformity and serve up a sub-par barely edible lunch.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 19th Nov 2022 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by b00lpr0p

Click on the teenager, Nrass => Master Controller => Intermediate => Carreers => Days Off: Schools => add the same amount of days.

Sorry my bad english, and sorry for digging up this thread.

Just did this with my dropout sim and I thought it wasn't working so i kept trying, but it does work!

Everyone, please remember to press play after adding your days, because now my sim will not be going to school for 1,414,000 days