Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2022 at 3:21 PM
Default EA App/Origin troubles and Steam version availability
So, the TS3 sub-reddit on Reddit is full of complaints lately about TS3 EPs not being able to be installed or played neither via Origin nor via the new EA App launcher. EA is not in a rush to fix it.
I have TS3 via Steam now (switched from Origin years ago) but the lightly paranoid nature of my mind popped a question: if EA insists that folks have to play TS3 via this new App thingy, is it possible / realistic to assume that they can take down TS3 from Steam, and it won't be available anymore to play there, only on EA App?
Just reminding you, that ages ago I had a purchased Sims Medieval game on Steam, but after a longer period, EA had the game taken down from Steam and SM became an Origin-only game. I couldn't play my Steam version anymore.
Is there anyone who is more informed about the bigger picture? What can we expect?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 24th Oct 2022 at 11:57 PM
I don't think they can take away your ownership of the Steam version, but they can update it so that it redirects to the EA App like TS4. 2K binded 10+ year old BioShock titles to their 2K launcher in a recent update as an example: https://store.steampowered.com/news...500006865769804

But you can always take precautions. TS3 on Steam is DRM Free. It only needs the registry keys added by Steam during installation, plus the usual dependencies like DirectX and .NET Framework 3.5. So it is possible for you to install Steam version of TS3 without even using Steam itself. That is what I personally do. I downloaded the Steam install with Steam once. Took a backup of its files, and the registry entries added by Steam. And now I can install it without Steam itself and obviously run it without anything involved.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2022 at 8:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rsanda
But you can always take precautions. TS3 on Steam is DRM Free. It only needs the registry keys added by Steam during installation...

Thank you for the advice, I will certainly do that! - It seems that the new 2K launcher didn't perform better than the EA App, it broke the game for many, too. And that's exactly what I fear about will happen to Steam-TS3.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Oct 2022 at 9:27 PM
My only comment is I always have bought disks when can and always will. I have all my 3 on them and was able to install all on a new laptop about 2 years ago now with no problems. I have disks for 1,2,3. And I have stayed on 1.67 for that and this PC.
Test Subject
#5 Old 26th Oct 2022 at 7:02 AM
Nothing new but I wanted to add that if anyone takes a backup of TS3 registry entries, make sure you put TS3 in the same path as specified in the registry, or change the path in the registry key(s). If the directory path doesn't match with what is on the registry, TS3 cannot be run. Just wanted to add this as a note.