Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:56 AM
Default Another silly EAxis coding - Is it okay to add a custom, occupied Downtown as a second Downtown?
I got some clean templates from here. meetme2theriver says that EAxis has coded the game, that when you add a second (occupied) Downtown, it'll be wiped out, unoccupied.

Quote: Originally posted by meetme2theriver
WARNING: Because of silly EAxis coding, ONLY THE FIRST DOWNTOWN ADDED TO A NEIGHBOURHOOD WILL HAVE SIMS ADDED WITH IT. That means that if you add the regular downtown first, and then Belladonna Cove, BDC WILL NOT HAVE ANY PLAYABLES. And vice verca, if you add BDC first, I don't believe there will be any Tricous. I haven't yet confirmed this in my own game, but once I do, I'll upload a shopping district version of Belladonna Cove as well. I'll leave this version here, though, in case someone wants it as a downtown anyway. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

I just want to make sure that when I add BDC to my neighborhood, it won't get corrupted. It may sound stupid, but you/I never know.

Because do the character files get shredded, or something? Also, if I do it vice versa (add BDC first and then Downtown), will my neighborhood get corrupted because the graves will be gone (Tricous and Neengia)?

You cannot be stressed more about this game!
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 12:29 PM
That doesn't seem to make any sense to me but without trying out the actual process I can't say for sure. Added on sub-hoods are independent of each other in my experience - they draw on different sets of files and don't overwrite.

It is true to say that adding a second type of one sub-hood sometimes (but not always) means that you don't add on any more extra sims but that depends on the hood type. I'll see if I have any information on it.

Edit - oh wait, that thread you link to is adding BDC as another Downtown. Well, downtowns don't add sims on a second downtown sub-hood so it looks as though that is correct. Sorry I can't be more help here - Maxis hoods bore me senseless and I have had very little to do with them.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 12:30 PM
It seems to me that Tarlia is quite clear on this point. If you add a second downtown, it will be empty. If the second downtown is a premade one with characters, it will be as if you deleted all those characters. So don't do it; get the subhood version of Belladonna Cove.

I've seen enough versions of the megahood that had both the BDC and the dead Tricous to think that this problem has been solved, so hunt around that site some more until you find the proper configurations for what you want. She should have everything linked. It makes little difference, in play, whether a subhood is counted as a downtown or as a shopping district. I believe her megahood-enabled downtown has converted the ghosts from the House of Fallen Trees into living sims, and omits the Tricou teen bastards.

If you add an actual custom downtown, built from scratch, it won't have any characters in it to shred, so you're fine. You won't get a second batch of downtownies, but you wouldn't want one, anyway.

There's no reason you can't experiment with different configurations, using a test neighborhood, in order to see how it all works. Once you understand how to get the configuration you want, you can delete the experiment and make it for real. And of course you should back up your existing main hood before doing anything as major as adding a new subhood, anyway.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 12:39 PM
Just to be clear, River was talking about adding a separate add-on downtown that is based on the original Belladonna Cove.

So, potentially, you could have your main hood of Belladonna Cove and you could add a BDC downtown to it. You could also add a BDC downtown to Strangetown, Pleasantville, or any neighborhood you choose.

I believe that she was describing what you would and would not find in the downtown version, not the original main neighborhood version. I doubt that what is in the added on downtown would affect what was in the original neighborhood.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Site Helper
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 7:46 PM
The game will remove the sims from all Downtowns except the first, when the Downtown template is added to your neighborhood. I was not able to find any way around this restriction.

Other subhoods, such as Business Districts, do not have this restriction.

After adding the Downtowns, you can still populate each one as you desire.

If you really want all of the sims from all of your subhoods, attach only one Downtown and use Business Districts for everything else.

As far as corruption goes, I would have to do some additional research. The sims are not added, but I'm not sure what the game does with their associated memories, wants and fears, relationships, family ties, etc. If you're concerned, trying adding two Downtowns to a temporary test neighborhood and then running the HoodChecker on Check mode to see what it finds. That won't tell us everything, but it should give you some idea of whether the sims are removed cleanly.
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 9:42 AM
Thanks Mootilda! I'll try it, and report back.