Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 12:30 AM
make someone a family member?
Hi... I'm new to this so I hope I am putting this in the right spot. I was wondering if there is a way to make someone who is not a family member a family member lol

I made Olivia and Dante. She is supposed to be his mother but they keep hitting on each other because I didn't make them correctly. (Move in, he moves out, created together with family ties)

So.... do I need to delete Dante and Olivia and create them again? Or is there a cheat code I can use? I use testing cheats a lot but I don't see any kind of option for that lol
It would really suck to have to delete them though because Dante is already married to Lulu, so I'd have to delete them too if I want the relationship memories to be normal in any way. blah.

Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 12:36 AM
If you have Pets or higher, you can use the Sim Blender to set these sims as mother/son. It's a nifty, extremely useful mod.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 12:37 AM
I've got University and Nightlife only
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 12:39 AM
In that case, you might try the Insimenator (I don't have this hack, but from what I hear, it should be able to do this), and if that's not an option, for whatever reason, there's always SimPE.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 12:40 AM
I've got SimPE, but all I know how to use it for is to scan my folders. I've also got the hoodchecker which has helped alot. I'm gonna check on Insimenator now. Thank you Darby!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 12:43 AM
SimPE is a hugely useful tool, but I have very little experience with it beyond extracting sims. So, can't help you there.

You're welcome. Good luck with the Insimenator. Should work fine.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 1:08 AM
Awesome, it worked! I am definitely going to ask questions more often
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 1:58 AM
Good to hear! Happy simming!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 3:03 AM
xmirellax - glad to hear Insim worked but I'd just going to add this: DO NOT delete sims for whatever reason ever unless you want to corrupt your neighbourhood. Also, if you have SimPE and fancy fiddling around with it (make a back up first if you are unsure - make a back up anyway), the family relationship can be set in the family ties section and the sim relationships panel.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xmirellax
I've got SimPE, but all I know how to use it for is to scan my folders. I've also got the hoodchecker which has helped alot. I'm gonna check on Insimenator now. Thank you Darby!

You can use SimPE to mark Sims as family in the Relationships part. Mark the Sim as family then designate parent/child/aunt/nephew etc
Test Subject
#11 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 7:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
xmirellax - glad to hear Insim worked but I'd just going to add this: DO NOT delete sims for whatever reason ever unless you want to corrupt your neighbourhood. Also, if you have SimPE and fancy fiddling around with it (make a back up first if you are unsure - make a back up anyway), the family relationship can be set in the family ties section and the sim relationships panel.

I keep hearing this over, and over. But long before I heard this I would delete Sims/Urns/Tombstones all the time, and never had the slightest complication. Is this just a rare occurrence people are over timid about, or am I just REALLY lucky?

"Whipped Cream Twilight WATERFALLS!"
Mad Poster
#12 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 1:03 PM
Apparently it can take some time for the problems to show up, and then suddenly the hood starts to deteriorate at an exponentially increasing rate and becomes unplayable. You're not the first person to come along saying: "Oh, people exaggerate how bad this is; I delete people all the time and have no problem," and they always come along later saying "OMG everybody was right, this is AWFUL."

Unless they're the kinds of people who never play a hood for more than a couple of months. If you know yourself to be a short-term only player, you can probably continue to delete away happily forever; but you never know when you're going to start getting attached, and then you'll be screwed.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The_Dragoon
I keep hearing this over, and over. But long before I heard this I would delete Sims/Urns/Tombstones all the time, and never had the slightest complication. Is this just a rare occurrence people are over timid about, or am I just REALLY lucky?

You can see the file corruption in SimPE as soon as you delete the sims if you know where to look. It may not affect your game immediately (though it can cause practically instantaneous crash and burn) but it will, sooner or later, cause problems. Have you ever had a neighbourhood become unplayable? Or had buggy families or lots? Well, that's why.

I should say there are other things that can cause problems but the most likely reason you have any problems at all is from deleting sims.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Alchemist
#14 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 5:22 PM Last edited by omglo : 4th Nov 2011 at 5:33 PM.
Dante, Lulu and Olivia? Cool, are you making all of the GH characters?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Dante, Lulu and Olivia? Cool, are you making all of the GH characters?

Yep! I found a neighborhood that doubles as port charles for me here on MTS, http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=370370... so far I've got Luke, Tracy, and Ethan ... Lulu, Lucky, Dante, Lulu, Olivia, Carly, Micheal, Morgan, Abby, Elizabeth, Robin, Matt, Emma, Jocelyn, Alexis, Kristina, Kate, Sonny and Molly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 4:26 PM
oh and Nikolas, Patrick, and Lisa Niles Franco is going to be a weird townie if I can figure out how to make him one lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 4:27 PM
I actually have been using the InSim objects to make family, but you can only do child or spouse... theres no aunt uncle sibling. I'm gonna see if I can do on SimPE, cause that would be cool. I'd like to get all the characters to relate the same way they do on TV (as much as possible) and anyone who watches GH knows that is very incestuous looking with everyone being related in some way lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 5:02 PM
Default Can u help?
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
You can use SimPE to mark Sims as family in the Relationships part. Mark the Sim as family then designate parent/child/aunt/nephew etc

by telling me how to do this?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 5:23 PM
First, load your neighborhood with the neighborhood browser.

Second, open the Sim Browser. Wait patiently while it loads. Look at the little boxes at the top and click the box for "Playables" to get the NPCs and townies out of your way.

Click the header you'd like them sorted by - name (if you want them alphabetical), Household (if you want to find them all grouped together), etc.

Click the character you want to work with. Their info should load in the bottom half of your screen. There's a series of tabs for different kinds of information. You want "Relations."

The relations page is divided in half vertically. The left-hand side is for the household you're looking for relationships among; the right-hand side is for displaying your chosen sim's relationship with the individual highlighted. At the top of the left hand side is a field with a drop-down menu. In the case of Dante and Olivia, they're in the same household, so choose that one (presumably their last name). Note that any households that are separate in the game but have the same name in Neighborhood view will be grouped together; this is handy, as you'll see.

Say you're in Olivia's relationship page. Click on Dante on the left side, and on the right side you'll see two blocks of information: Olivia's relationship to Dante, and Dante's relationship to Olivia. There's a relationship bar showing the quality of the relationship, lifetime and daily; a drop-down menu field; and a series of little boxes: Known, Family, Love, Crush, Engaged, Married, Etc. Click the boxes you want to apply, unclick any boxes you don't want to apply. Change the relationships to the ones you want, taking care to make them consistent (Olivia's Relationship to Dante: Parent; Dante's Relationship to Olivia: Child).

Lather, rinse, repeat for every character you want Olivia to be related to. I suggest starting with the individuals with the most relations, as it will reduce the number of sims you have to actually open; but take care you don't skip any, or you'll have cousins with aunts who aren't the sister of any parent and so on. It's tedious, but it's not hard.

In my game, this has not changed the family trees, but has stopped in-story first cousins from lusting after each other, has greatly upped the ante on cheating on certain people who now have more family members to catch the two-timer than before, enabled family kissing, and caused an aspiration failure in someone with a fear of a relative dying who didn't even know his putative aunt that well (but she was younger than Pa!).

A more elaborate procedure which should change family trees is outlined here; I haven't taken the time to try it myself yet.
http://hullabaloo.sunsims.com/forum...opic.php?t=7085

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 5:59 PM
Thank you so much! I had no idea you could do that with SimPE and I've been too scared to mess with it without someone giving me easy step by steps like that! You rock
Alchemist
#21 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 5:55 PM Last edited by omglo : 7th Nov 2011 at 6:41 PM.
oh and Nikolas, Patrick, and Lisa Niles Franco is going to be a weird townie if I can figure out how to make him one lol
You can use Insimenator to do that too. Make Franco, move him into a household, then spawn the Family Tree and use the "remove from household as a townie" option.

Sounds like a fun neighborhood you've made.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#22 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 6:29 PM
Thank you so much! I had no idea you could do that with SimPE and I've been too scared to mess with it without someone giving me easy step by steps like that! You rock

A lot of the functions you can see in the view for sims can be altered without problem - certainly things like aspiration, age, education achievement, interests, sexual attraction (to men/women - it's here you make a bi-sim for the most part), even job and job level.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 7:41 PM
Just remember to back up your game first, and at worst, anything you do in SimPE (or Insiminator, or any of these other programs) is reversible by reloading the saved game.

Oh, I forgot to tell you - after you've made a change, you'll need to click the "commit" button; and then at the end you'll need to say yes to saves. Without those, nothing's any good. I presume that's true in the parts of SimPE you've been using, too, and you got it; but you never know. One person's obvious is another person's failed perception check.