Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2020 at 5:47 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Strange brightness in CAS
So I opened my game after a bit of not playing to find CAS looking super weird (see attached screenshot). I've not downloaded any new custom content or anything since playing the last time, and I've tried removing my downloads folder to see if that solved the problem (which it didn't.)

So I did some googling, and found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/sims2/comm...easim_and_also/ which is exactly what my problem is. They suggested testing the boolprop useshaders true cheat in neighbourhood view, which I did, and it fixed the problem.

My issue now is, this only solves the problem until I close my game; the next time I start it the same things happens. So I thought "I'll just go into the Graphic Rules and change it", which was also suggested. Problem is that there are multiple rows called useshaders and I have no idea which one to change to fix this.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 26th Oct 2020 at 6:12 PM
I don't know if this will work, but are you familiar with what a userStartup.cheat is? If you aren't, I've provided a link to information on it. You can see if placing the 'boolprop useshaders true' cheat into it stops the issue.

If this doesn't work, sorry, it's the only solution I can think of.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I don't know if this will work, but are you familiar with what a userStartup.cheat is? If you aren't, I've provided a link to information on it. You can see if placing the 'boolprop useshaders true' cheat into it stops the issue.

If this doesn't work, sorry, it's the only solution I can think of.

It didn't work, but thank you for the suggestion! I'm going to try reinstalling the game and see if that helps.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 12:18 PM
I have a similar problem, but it only affects certain outfits (mainly very revealing ones -- but I have a lot of those!).

It's as if the Sim's body (but not their head) was being lit by a very bright light from the front. If the Sim turns round, then their back becomes brightly lit instead. The image in the mirror remains correct, except that a little of the bright light sort of filters round the edges (as it would do in real life). Unlike OP's picture, the turntable in the floor remains normally lit.

Frankly I can live with this. It only affects certain outfits, and they look OK both in-game and in Body Shop. As many of you know, I have just got a new computer with a proper graphics card. Since I got it set up, with a lot of help from my friends here at MTS, this is the only graphics issue I have. When so many people are plagued by flashing pink, I count myself lucky. I'd like to find out what's causing this, and I'd like to fix it. But if it can't be easily fixed, then I'll put up with this minor problem. After nearly eight years playing on a netbook in low resolution, playing on the new laptop is a dream! :lovestruc

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread.
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 2:05 PM
Okay, so I tried to do some digging and came across two topics on this sight here and here. Granted, these pertain specifically to CC hairs, but it visually looks like the same issue.

From what I've been able to find, there isn't a known fix. I even encountered threads on reddit where simmers are gathering computer specs or something to try and find a cause.

Someone in one of the threads linked above recommended checking if the GraphicsRules Maker is recognising the graphics card properly. Threads on reddit I found also suggested this. Other suggestions included the method you used 'boolprop useshaders false,' or simply waiting for a fix to be found. I think I also found suggestions to lower lighting settings.

Threads I referenced (I bet you came across these while looking for a fix yourself, but just in case):
Need Help my CAS is too Bright
Help? Sims 2 CAS way too Bright
CAS Looking Washed Out

I'll also add that I wrote 'boolprop useshaders true' instead of 'boolprop useshaders false,' when I suggested the userStartup cheat last time. You can try that alternative method, if you want.

Sorry if this isn't useful, but it appears to be a strange bug that simmers are still trying to fix. I may get corrected if I'm wrong, though. Check the GraphicsRules though, and see if the game is recognising your graphics card.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Field Researcher
#6 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 3:15 PM Last edited by mate54 : 27th Oct 2020 at 5:51 PM.
The fix that works is DXVK, if your PC can use it. Download it, extract d3d9.dll file from x32 folder and place it in TSBin. Then, either limit your texture memory to 1700 when you install it, or create a file called dxvk.conf in Notepad and inside, type in: d3d9.maxAvailableMemory=XXXX (XXXX will be the texture memory that you pick). Place that file in TSBin too, and see if it helps.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 2nd Nov 2020 at 1:31 PM
Try this to check if your PC can use DXVK; it should create a Vulkan instance if it supports it. Otherwise, did you get any errors? Maybe you have to delete cache (groups.cache, accessory.cache, cigen.package) in your Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ folder. Usually, the game refuses to run if those files get corrupted and deleting them fixes the issue.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st May 2023 at 11:12 AM
I have the same problem. The Overly Bright CAS Fix mod by Lazy Duchess helped, but the pink flicker problem returned. What should I do?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 21st May 2023 at 12:05 PM
DXVK combined with the boolprop useshaders false cheat solved the problem of bright characters and pink blinking. But the terrain textures have become wildly smooth:

How can I go on?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st May 2023 at 3:07 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st May 2023 at 3:19 PM.
I removed DXVK from my game - it turned out this was making the pink-flashing and crashing worse, at least for me (but it could help other people, even if it didn't help me).

"boolprop useshaders true" turns on shaders - extra effects that adds on layers to reflections, bump maps, VFX (like fish in ponds/aquariums), and so forth. It also is necessary to display high-poly CAS meshes (above roughly 30-35k). Turning the setting to "false" removes the shaders.

On some newer graphic cards, the game gets some weird issues when running it with shaders off (older computers/graphic cards/chips usually did better with shaders off) - but the downside is that with shaders on, CAS gets the bright problem on newer cards.

My old computer wouldn't properly display anything without shaders on, and would even display sims headless. Possibly a setting issue (can't check now, the thing will barely turn on), but with shaders the game ran perfectly fine.