Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#151 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 2:56 PM
Killing off 5 or 6 townies won't neccessarily work, I think they just come back looking the same. It is true that you get new townies with nightlife, but you have to go downtown to meet them. The new downtownies are much more attractive, in my opinion.

anyway, the cheat is "deleteallcharacters"- I used that on a new neighborhood, then promptly fubared it by moving in 2 families from my old neighborhoods and corrupting all of the character files in the new neighborhood... completely defeating the point of a fresh start (except I have hot townies now)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#152 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 8:18 PM
I have a question.....can you use the items from inventory, that your townie brings with them?
My guy Aubrey Pouvre married Trixie Tremble, and I happened to look into her inventory, noticing she has a lot of things.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#153 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HunterGreen
I wonder if I should just kill off five or six townies just to get some fresh ones

You could also try to age some of them up/down, if you'd prefer a less bloody and time-consuming method. I'm pretty sure that that also makes the game generate new ones -- at least in my game I see new townies every once in a while, and almost always I remember I've aged someone a day earlier or two.
Test Subject
#154 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 12:26 AM
Are we alowed to use the tip trick?
Instructor
Original Poster
#155 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 5:03 PM
tip trick?
Test Subject
#156 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 5:00 AM
Another update:
http://patientx.i8.com/nonx/simspoverty4.html

I am up to 3 grandchildren in the house now (two boys and a girl) and there is a 4th on the way (Dagmar is pregnant again, her children are better looking than Victoria's). Jude is a few days away from becoming a teenager, and Leah is a child now. The family is wealthy enough now, that when Victoria (second-youngest girl) got married her husband got a "marrying a wealthy sim" icon above his head.

By the way, I don't know why some of the pictures uploaded with poor quality, they all look just fine on my computer, so, sorry about that.

PS. George is desparately handsome for a townie. I was waiting with baited breath when I re-did his hair from the "hair-in-the-face" style.

"Look, I don't need this, I inhaled my favorite whistle this morning."
--Simpsons
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#157 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 6:43 AM
HunterGreen -- quoting from your update: "I did accidentally have George and Dagmar get crushes on each other. They were eating dinner and [...] I made the mistake of having him "steal a bite", which was under the PLAY menu, not FLIRT [...]"

In my game it's even worse: ALL the Flirt interactions are available between family members when they have a meal (only the "seated" ones -- the regular flirt actions are unavailable, like they should be). Do you have that too? If yes, than that's apparently a bug. I don't have any mods/hacks/custom content whatsoever.

And your pictures are fine, I think -- I don't see any "poor quality" ones!?

I updated as well: Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23
Test Subject
#158 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
In my game it's even worse: ALL the Flirt interactions are available between family members when they have a meal (only the "seated" ones -- the regular flirt actions are unavailable, like they should be). Do you have that too? If yes, than that's apparently a bug. I don't have any mods/hacks/custom content whatsoever.

And your pictures are fine, I think -- I don't see any "poor quality" ones!?

Hmm, I haven't noticed that in my game, though I don't usually do "seated" interactions, not even changing the conversation topic. I only did it that time because Dagmar wanted to be best friends with George, and they aren't related by blood so all the flirt options would be open. I'll check next time I play.

Hmm, maybe the pictures aren't as bad as I think they are. They just look like they were compressed when they were uploaded (they are sort of blurry, starting with the picture of Leah being born, its more obvious with the close-ups).

"Look, I don't need this, I inhaled my favorite whistle this morning."
--Simpsons
Instructor
Original Poster
#159 Old 16th Jan 2006 at 3:07 PM
dalpal- I'd rather you didn't use them, as it isn't in the spirit of the challenge
#160 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 1:19 AM
I just wanted to say that Peggy Poorly and hubby Corbin just had twins. I'm going with a "P" theme.. names are Penelope and Preston. It's also kind of interesting to play them, Peggy is usually happy but Corbin is a fortune sim and has been "worrying" a lot lately. :D
#161 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 1:52 AM
So now, I'm guessing that this one won't be closed because it's been about a month and a week...so, yay!
#162 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 5:22 PM
I will enter if it's not too late. Lemme just make a sim...
Instructor
Original Poster
#163 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 10:03 PM
I don't know about it being closed, as it isn't actually a contest, it's a challenge, so closing it doesn't entirely make sense. Unless the moderators think it needs to be closed because that's how things work in this section, I don't have any plans to do so. Hopefully they will tell me first

Anyway, I see it as an ongoing thing, so if you want to start the challenge go ahead and enter!
Lab Assistant
#164 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 1:12 AM
I have an update that as soon as my DSL is back up I'll put in the story forums.

Basically, Rori's life has drastically changed since my last/first post. Her hubby died of food poisoning... evil brat that he was and she's remarried. She took forever to get prego, around 7 straight sim days trying before she got prego then it was twin girls then bam she had 2 more one after another the last one being a boy, the day he was born her hubby died. She just married another townie, I don't remember his name and the oldest girls just turned into teens. I'll post pics and a more detail story next week though.
#165 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 1:44 AM
Nope, this won't ever be closed unless requested by the creator of the thread. It's not a contest, so it can stay open indefinitely.
Lab Assistant
#166 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 11:13 PM
Ok I've done most of my updating so far... HERE.
#167 Old 23rd Jan 2006 at 5:53 PM
Well, I TRIED, but I chickened out in the end I got in a panic when my sim Kitty Clementine got tired (oh no, I haven't got her a bed and she's really tired and I can't afford a bed and...) I just couldn't bring myself to let her sleep on the floor, so I gave in and Motherlode-ed her and moved her to my main neighborhood and built a decent house. Lol!!!
Instructor
Original Poster
#168 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 5:38 AM
don't be a wuss, they are SUPPOSED to do that... not being able to afford a bed is the entire point
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#169 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 5:59 AM
This challenge is too easy.

With positive points for every $, and no limit on how much $ you can earn, the maximum possible score is effectively infinity, or about several billion, when the money variables overflow.

The termination conditions are indefinite in duration, since a sim can live forever by any number of means even without reward objects.

BLEH!!!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
#170 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
This challenge is too easy.

With positive points for every $, and no limit on how much $ you can earn, the maximum possible score is effectively infinity, or about several billion, when the money variables overflow.

The termination conditions are indefinite in duration, since a sim can live forever by any number of means even without reward objects.

BLEH!!!

didn't your mother teach you "if ya can't say something nice don't say anything at all"? for shame....
Instructor
Original Poster
#171 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 6:19 AM
Fine. No vampirism, then, period

And to clarify: a child taken by the social worker counts the same as a sim that dies or moves off lot- no longer part of the challenge. Even though I can't imagine anyone but you thinking of that as a "loophole" :eviltongu

***EDIT: I finally had a little more time on my hands, so I was able to make some changes to the challenge and re-evaluate some of the rules. I have now uploaded a standard community lot for you guys to use. From now on, you may only use standard community lots that I have approved for the purpose***

:smash:
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#172 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 6:22 AM
There's still the unlimited money exploit from community lot jobs and performances. No aging on community lots and you can survive indefinitely.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Instructor
Original Poster
#173 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 6:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hope2476
didn't your mother teach you "if ya can't say something nice don't say anything at all"? for shame....

haha- I don't think JM had a mother- he was raised by wolves

Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
There's still the unlimited money exploit from community lot jobs and performances. No aging on community lots and you can survive indefinitely.

I know. I have been mulling it over for a while now, but my concern is that it is too late in the challenge to change the rules again, while still being fair to the people who have used this method already.

I might upload a vanilla community lot for the game that contains no bars, DJ booths, or other means of earning an added income and forbid visiting any other community lot- either that, or simply ban those activities altogether.

***EDIT: I decided it is never too late to mess around with my own rules, in spite of the extra chaos. Instead of banning those activities, I have uploaded a standard community lot. There may be more to follow in the future, but for now, this is it: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=125890 ***
#174 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 8:39 AM
I know... I WILL try again. Come on Nina! You would have done this when you started playing sims 1! (Which was 7 lol!)
Instructor
Original Poster
#175 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 5:48 PM
lol, I like the story so far, starlight. Good luck to all the new entries...

For the rest of you guys, I will probably go with uploading a new lot that limits the things your sims can do downtown, and having that be the only legal community lot from now on. It seems like it would be more straightforward than fielding new NL, Open for Business, and Uni questions continuously. For those of you who have been playing the challenge for a while, feel free to PM me about it/ let me know what you think. I will upload the lot later today.
Page 7 of 36