Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#301 Old 29th May 2011 at 7:07 PM Last edited by simsamu : 31st May 2011 at 6:44 AM. Reason: idiot spelling error
Where I live there is a lot of contention about religion, not wars but more insidious biggotry so I appreciate the religion free world of the sims. I agree that I do not think it could be implemented without someone somewhere taking offense even if it was llama worship or something ridiculous as real religious leaders may use this to declare the sims and EA as evil or darkworkers.

I want to punch Chris Steel in the face!
Advertisement
#302 Old 29th May 2011 at 7:53 PM
Although we don't have religion in Sims, there is, IMHO, a veering towards a certain kind of morality that I don't like such as was introduced in LN and what is coming in Generations, the Public Humiliation for cheating and having a child out of wedlock and getting a divorce - and it seems like there is something to do with one's Reputation in Generations. I don't really like this as it smacks of some kind of moral code which veers towards having a personal creed - therefore some form of religion. Yuck.

I have to wonder what is wrong with a child out of wedlock and getting a divorce? It's life and it happens. I don't think it's right to bring this sort of cultural overtone to a game.
Lab Assistant
#303 Old 29th May 2011 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fairycake89
Although we don't have religion in Sims, there is, IMHO, a veering towards a certain kind of morality that I don't like such as was introduced in LN and what is coming in Generations, the Public Humiliation for cheating and having a child out of wedlock and getting a divorce - and it seems like there is something to do with one's Reputation in Generations. I don't really like this as it smacks of some kind of moral code which veers towards having a personal creed - therefore some form of religion. Yuck.

They're seriously doing this? Wow that is... pretty tasteless. There's nothing shameful about being a single parent or leaving a marriage :\

"It sucks because the vampires don't run fast enough. Lets be realistic - any vampire could run at leas a 4.5 40. These guys ran somewhere between a 4.8.-4.9."
#304 Old 29th May 2011 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by metal_goat
They're seriously doing this? Wow that is... pretty tasteless. There's nothing shameful about being a single parent or leaving a marriage :\

Yups - in LN, a celeb is 'named and shamed' for it. I think it's awful.
Eminence Grise
#305 Old 29th May 2011 at 11:06 PM
Wellllll... private ethics are one thing, and public perception and community norms are something else. The way this is implemented in the Sims is all about community norms... which ARE very real, and completely independent of religion.

Of course, what it DOESN'T capture is that different communities have different norms. We as the sims community should be able to capture that pretty easily with mods though, as has already happened for the LN slander thing. Hopefully the reputation system in Generations will be xml tunable as well
Field Researcher
#306 Old 29th May 2011 at 11:25 PM

I have to wonder what is wrong with a child out of wedlock and getting a divorce? It's life and it happens. I don't think it's right to bring this sort of cultural overtone to a game.

O_o

Holy mackeral.

I've noticed this sense of moral infliuence in other ways, as well - such as the greasy moodlet with eating hotdogs or the "Wasted Food" moodlet when throwing away food, when, really, only sims with certain traits should have that type of thought.

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
Instructor
#307 Old 30th May 2011 at 3:20 AM
I think we should have a new trait: insufferably pious. When a sim interracts with another sim they could have the following interactions:

Witness to them about their religion.
Tell them they are a sinner.
Tell them they are going to Hell.
Tell them they are not enlightened.
Tell them they are not saved.
Burn them at the stake
Field Researcher
#308 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:26 AM

I dont think it is intended to be a moral code as it is only applied to celebrities and you know what the red tops are like, they are choc full of who did what to who with what, where, when and how many times. I simply imagine that Sunset Valley is full of sleezy second rate Journo's.
I must agree I was more than a little irked when my sim was publically disgraced for having three children out of wedlock then I wondered if this feature was more a reference to the time line, TS3 seems to preceed TS2 in terms of the time line so maybe they aren't enlightened yet and it like some 50's style world morally.

I want to punch Chris Steel in the face!
Lab Assistant
#309 Old 30th May 2011 at 11:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
I think we should have a new trait: insufferably pious. When a sim interracts with another sim they could have the following interactions:

Witness to them about their religion.
Tell them they are a sinner.
Tell them they are going to Hell.
Tell them they are not enlightened.
Tell them they are not saved.
Burn them at the stake

Sims who are insufferably pious who are also brave. Will not run in the face of supernaturals. They are so hardcore and fanatical that supernaturals will flee from them!

Sims who are insufferably pious and neurotic will have over-reaction to supernaturals and go experience a moodlet "end of the world is nigh!" This will reduce their happiness level by 50

Sims who are insufferably pious. When interacting with supernaturals they can choose, ask about after-life. This will cause the insufferably pious Sim's head to explode in disbelief. This is the only known way to create headless ghost sims.

ahhhh... i can dream..
Scholar
#310 Old 30th May 2011 at 12:31 PM
Religion being the touchy subject that it is, I think EA has been wise to leave it out. Bottom line is, it's always going to offend someone.

However, if they ever did decide to include it, I think the safest (and most amusing) way to go about it would be a player-based religion, with sims regarding the player as God. After all, who can deny our existence? The Sims has always been a "God game" more or less, so I don't see any reason why sims shouldn't be able to acknowledge our presence and form some sort of religion around it. (Forgive me if this has been mentioned before; I wasn't about to wade through thirteen pages of posts to find out.)

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Lab Assistant
#311 Old 30th May 2011 at 12:59 PM
Religion in a certain form wouldn't necessarily have to offend anymore more than the sims already offends. A faux-religion like simism, if only in existance without any direct reference to actual religious rituals and traditions, wouldn't have to offend a Cristian or Muslim (or else) any more than the nonexistance of heaven/hell in the sims (ghosts) or the existance of mythological creatures (vampires/werewolves). There is even the possibily to make a sim come back to life, you don't have to be jesus for it!!

Personally, I think the the biggest holdback for the implementation of religion would be the consequences of religion on the life of a sim. Does religion make you a better or worse person? Does religion have an effect on your luck in life? This is where the difference between religion and non-theism becomes dangerous and should be avoided.

But religion does exist! You are the almighty god of sims and you decide over their lives. You can also build yourself the biggest, boldest place of worship, but you are the only person to influence the lives of your sims.

If you want a place for birthdays, weddings and deaths they should make a partycenter and implement a funeral service in the graveyard.

(I hope I made myself clear, it's hard considering this is not my native language)
Scholar
#312 Old 30th May 2011 at 1:55 PM
I 'd like to see a sims house of worship of some sort. People that didn't like it wouldn't have to play it -- just like some people don't play vampires or celebrities. As for people being offended? Well, maybe people need to learn to be more tolerant of each other.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Lab Assistant
#313 Old 30th May 2011 at 2:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzetter
I 'd like to see a sims house of worship of some sort. People that didn't like it wouldn't have to play it -- just like some people don't play vampires or celebrities. As for people being offended? Well, maybe people need to learn to be more tolerant of each other.

I don't mind having it in my game. Though I think it should be kept to the players themselves to add it to their own world. I prefer the way things are now, EA not to ever include a specific 'place of worship' community lots
#314 Old 30th May 2011 at 10:46 PM
If you think about it, they don't need religion (I've mulled this over during the last 24hrs) because at the end of the day WE are their God, aren't we? It is heavily alluded to in Sims Medieval that 'we' the Watcher are their Diety of choice.
Test Subject
#315 Old 30th May 2011 at 11:02 PM
They already have religion in the Sims Medieval...Why can;'t it translate to the Sims 3? They had the Watcher (Us basically) with two types of houses of worships. Expand that to include a temple and mosque type building and you are set. maybe even make witches who are actually Wiccan! it opens a lot of doors and people don't have to make their sims religious, but it's a nice addition for those that do!
Forum Resident
#316 Old 31st May 2011 at 12:45 AM
I remember playing a small PC game where I played as their God and that was their religion and there were the believers and the non-believers. I liked it up to the point where I had to convert the non-believers into believers. There's a part of me that says I wouldn't mind religion in my game and if they made a specific EP about it (or an EP that included it), I might or might not buy it, depending upon my mood. But EA's gotten into the habit of putting a lot of things from the EP into the patch and I wouldn't want religion forced into my game through a patch that I have to have. If it was a religion that worshipped the player, I don't think I'd hate it, but I'd rather it just be left out in the first place then have to avoid it or not buy an EP, especially since I'm a bit of a collector. Not having a complete set would irk me and not using it when I buy it would irk me more.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Test Subject
#317 Old 31st May 2011 at 4:42 AM
My thoughts as an atheist:

I wouldn't mind religious functionality being added to Sims 3 provided that the religion is a fictional one (and fairly non-specific in its implementation) and it's not inherently "better" for a sim to be religious. You could then add religious / atheist traits where each side gets specific dialog choices depending on their point of view (and perhaps mean-spirited sims could make fun of the other sim's choice :p).

I enjoy the religion side of Sims Medieval. My main beef is that I wish there were more dialog options (e.g. I want my Evil Jacoban to run around calling every non-Jacoban a heathen) and antagonism between the two factions.
Mad Poster
#318 Old 31st May 2011 at 5:06 AM
Religion can always be a parody. As a simulator, the player, in a sense, is god.

I'll let the pieces fall into place now... *hint-hint*

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Test Subject
#319 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 4:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gangreless
Finally, there have always been modders/builders in the Sims community that create a semblance of religion. For TS2, we had hundreds of beautifully done cathedrals and churches. I'm sure the same will go for TS3. If you want your game to be more religious, do it yourself. Create a rabbithole, build a church, mod a prayer interaction, go nuts!

I agree, modders are the best for these kind of specifications. I understand why the creators of Sims won't add any form of religion to the game but it does not mean we as the consumers cannot find a way around it through the wonderful modders who are out there doing us a great service.
Mad Poster
#320 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 5:42 AM
Word of advice when making a first post, don't let it be a necro :/
Space Pony
#321 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HelloClarice
It's just what would a non-denominational place of worship look like?

Like these perhaps?

http://community.simtropolis.com/fi...y-headquarters/

http://community.simtropolis.com/fi...lebrity-center/

Surely these don't look like anything that would offend anyone as they're darn right bland looking.

EDIT: Addendum:

Err... I didn't notice that this was BUMPed up by a necro-poster.

Anyway, necro-posting is not a bad thing IMHO... As long as your post will add something informational about a thread's topic discussion. But if you're gonna necro-post just for some kicks, then that definitely is a darn stupid thing to do.
dodgy builder
#322 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 9:48 AM
Totally agree on the necro. I just wanted to say that I would be offended by any church, even those ugly scientology churches. Good of EA to avoid the subject. Someone could make the school in Dragon Valley into a church though, if they have to.
Test Subject
#323 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 9:56 AM
I think the game would lose too many players if they brought in Religion. Plus, if they brought in Religions like those who don't believe in spirits or supernatural they'd have to get rid of that pack because it would be 'too offensive' to those who were religious. Not only that but the base game ghost feature & the grim reaper would have to go!
Space Pony
#324 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 11:22 AM
Let's not call it "Religion" then...

Besides a "Religion" is an institution. As an example, Christianity is a "Religion"... but the teachings of Christ is a "Belief System. So let's just call it "a belief system" or simply "teachings or tenets one believes in".

And one thing I've noticed with people claiming they are Atheists is all their aggression is always often reared towards Christianity. They'd bad mouth Christianity & the Bible but you rarely see them shaking a fist on Islam & the Qur'an.. or even bad mouthing Buddhism or Shintoism? I've also seen so called Atheists mock men who go into the Priesthood & Women who take vows & go into a Convent as homosexuals and yet you never hear them mock Muslims who endure Eid al-Fitr or their pilgrimage to Mecca.

Anyhoo... I prefer having a belief in something rather than believing in nothing nor joining an institutionalized group of fellow believers as the better option

Addendum:

Whether it be God, Allah, Buddha, A Flying Spaghetti Monster or even Aliens... as long as I believe that I was put on this world by something for a higher purpose (like for their sick enjoyment) then all is well
Test Subject
#325 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 11:42 AM Last edited by FlyingOcto : 6th Jul 2013 at 1:47 AM.
I know this was necro'd but I just have to say I'd enjoy the sims a lot more if there was religions in the game. Sending the family off on sunday morning dressed to the nines!

Why all the hate?
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: WHARGARBL
Page 13 of 16