Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 5:36 PM
AM or any mod is something you should read about the features first and make sure you are installing correctly with no conflicting mods. Most of the issues I've read about are from people who really don't know what they are doing and have installed wrong or haven't read how to turn off the features hey don't want. This is the biggest, most customizable mod out there, so do your research.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 8:22 PM
AwesomeMod is lovely if you know what you're doing. If you so much as have to ask how to install it or what it actually does, you'd be best to skip past Awesome and look for something friendlier. It is more meant for those who are willing to take the time to read, investigate on their own, and those who are comfortable enough with themselves to realize they're usually the reason something doesn't work right. The key to winning at AwesomeMod is to never have your name recognized by the members of MATY. If they know who you are, it's usually because you've done something incredibly stupid.

The update popup is wonderful. The difference with updating Awesome and other mods is that, when you update it, you can actually tell that something has changed. It's usually not just some tiny little piece of nothing, and if Pescado thinks it's worth pushing through there's usually a darn good reason. If you're not willing to take two seconds to update a mod, then you really shouldn't be installing them in the first place.
Test Subject
#28 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 1:53 AM
Man, anyone who's still on the fence about this, think of it this way, IF, let's say, you're sim died, and the game asks if you wanted to go back to the last save point before he died, you click yes, guess what heppened? your game just got corrupted by faulty EAxian coding. and the with the Awesomemod, Pescado tries to fix what he can (he hasn't achieved that yet, but I'll bet he's working on it, if possible,) for now, the AwesomeMod would tell you your game exploded in a BFBVFS (Big Fiery Ball Visible From Space), it's way of telling you the game is now corrupted, it'd save you a bunch of time, am I right? plus, if I remember correctly, the Awesomemod fixes the Running glitch (either that, or substitutes it with Pescado's logic, which, I don't mind). AND it fixes a lot of bugs EA chooses to ignore.

that said, I'd sooner cut my own finger off than uninstall this mod, that's how great this mod is, it's like a deity in The Sims 3 Mods, and it doesn't look like it's gonna get outdated anytime soon.

to all those complaining about it locking you out of the game until you get a new version: seriously? is it REALLY that hard to download it again? and it's updated for every patch (has to be, wouldn't work after a new patch if it wasn't) so you'd have to download a new one anyway.
Test Subject
#29 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 5:47 AM
I can't get awesome mod to work ? i got Sims 3, WA and AB
anyone know what im doing wrong ?

~Innocent~EX~
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 6:00 AM
ive been reading all about Awsomemod and for some reason I'm not sold on it. I find some options that the game gives me are best kept that way.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#31 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 8:19 AM
InnocentEX - Individual creators support their own work. Awesomemod works just fine though - it's probably a problem with your setup - do your other package files work? If not, please follow the FAQs in the Help section. If so, then please ask for help over at MATY with getting Awesomemod working.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 12:13 PM
awesomemod is awesome nuff said... the tracking! The changing of active houses! IT HAS IT ALL :D
Test Subject
#33 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 2:51 PM
I like to keep vanilla so i think a good way of going about AM is to install Any Game Starter and put the AM in one of those folders.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#34 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
InnocentEX - Individual creators support their own work. Awesomemod works just fine though - it's probably a problem with your setup - do your other package files work? If not, please follow the FAQs in the Help section. If so, then please ask for help over at MATY with getting Awesomemod working.
Since AwesomeMod works just fine and the issue can't be anything else but user error, it's not really nice to set someone on its creator's track. The creator can't change anything in the mod to affect that issue in any way. I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility that Pescado implements a tardness check everyone has to absolve prior to download if he ever gets seriously annoyed by failure-related help requests, though.

Quote: Originally posted by 999rozes
awesomemod is awesome nuff said... the tracking! The changing of active houses! IT HAS IT ALL :D
I'm not the only one who finds fandom like that creepy, am I?

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 4:34 PM
I see awesomemod as an unofficial patch for the sims 3- the kind of patch that fixes errors and doesn't somehow manage to make more. Basically, the kind of patch everyone wants - pretty safe, and it fixes what annoys you. It's actually a bit better than that, too, because you can choose what features you like and what you don't like, putting all the power in your hands. For me, having more than 8 sims a household, selecting other households without having to go to Edit Town or loose any of my current family's wishes and setting the whole town on fire instantly just because I'm bored are three features that are pretty priceless.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler

I'm not the only one who finds fandom like that creepy, am I?

Lol I just want to express my thoughts of the Awesomemod in the most exaggerated way possible HUR HUR HUR XD
Field Researcher
#37 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 2:15 AM
I prefer Nraas' MasterController (formerly Super Computer) mod. It does everything I used to do with AwesomeMod, and it gets updated VERY frequently. No offense to Pescado (he may actually be pleased by my saying it) but he's not exactly Mr. Customer Service Award... Nraas is extremely responsive to both bug reports and feature requests. I've had far fewer conflicts and crashing since I stopped using AwesomeMod. You don't have to worry about waiting a few weeks for a new mod version after an expansion pack comes out - MasterController usually gets updated that same day (such as today for the release of Fast Lane Stuff).

Here's the link to the MasterController mod: http://ts3.tscexchange.com/index.ph...38&topic=4219.0

~ h e l a e n e ~
https://www.patreon.com/helaene (free)
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 3:53 AM
Even if the bugs and minor annoyances do well.. annoy me, I have yet to try AM.

Think it might be because of the game destroying mods and items I packed my TS1/TS2 with has put me off. As a person who does not have any sort of regularity or depending habits in my life, downloading new stuff is like crack to me. So better just keep away from the whole lot.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 2:56 PM
I agree with Heleane. Whilst I appreciate that AM does a whole host of great stuff, I think its only for people who are quite savvy when it comes to pc and mods etc. If you are new to modding your game then I would avoid it because as someone else in here already said- you don't go asking for help on MATY because you probably won't get it. You'll get ridiculed for being ignorant and basically told to FO and find out the answers yourself.
Twallans Master Controller does everything the normal simmer could ask for. Its simple and straightforward to install and works like a charm. Twallan is very quick to update his mods and, most importantly, is ALWAYS patient and helpful to people having problems. His site is a nice place to visit where new people are greeted and treated with friendliness and respect. The contrast is complete.

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? ~ Milton Berle
Field Researcher
#40 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 6:03 PM Last edited by Princess Leia : 10th Sep 2010 at 6:35 PM.
Why does it have to be one or the other? As far as I know, Twallan made all of his mods to be compatible with AwesomeMod. I use MasterController to make immediate changes in my Simmies' lives (since the interface is a lot more user-friendly and its forum is way less hostile, as some of you have mentioned) while AM kind of works in the background as an unofficial patch. It makes a lot of little tweaks in the game that allow for a smoother gameplay -- e.g. no more route tantrums, no autonomous rereading of books, more specific values for moodlets (like 18h instead of 1d), no magical superfast weight gain for fat Sims that work out, the addition of custom lot sizes in game, the list goes on and on... sure, these are minor things, but it beats scouring the ends of the interwebs for individual mods that do the same thing.

I don't think AM is for advanced users only. I mean, TS3 has only been out for a year so technically we're all kind of new at modding it. As with all things, just read the friggin' manual.

In terms of functionality MasterController is definitely more useful than AwesomeMod but I prefer AM's story progression over Twallan's so, eh, I like 'em both.
Test Subject
#41 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 7:01 PM
Personally, I use Twallan's mods. Mainly, because they are not core mods so I can use non default skin tones with them. Right now I am using AM until slider mods get updated but I WILL switch back as soon as they do. I just can't handle the attitude at MATY (even the name PO's me). If I want abuse, I'll talk to my kids.

Just my 2 cents...

~M~

If you're too busy to laugh; you're too busy.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 7:54 PM
I found AM to be a great addition to my game and enjoyed using it. The update reminders were appreciated. If you are resourceful enough to find someone to help you off MATY, after you have read ALL the postings and still have a question, then you will be fine using it. That being said, I agree with Mia138 completely. I am using Twallans MasterController now and it does everything for the game I want. The negativity, pettiness and vitriol you are exposed to on MATY by just reading the forums is daunting. The major sucking up and Pescado worship is a laugh.
Theorist
#43 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 10:03 PM
AM is fantastic. I love the ability to CTRL-click a sim or house to switch to that household, fridge and inventory contents are never purged for any reason, wishes do not have to be locked to count, elimination of psychic jealousy, and I'm sure there are a ton of other common-sense features Pescado has added that EA should have that just aren't popping into my head right now.
I tend to find the attitude at MATY to be hilarious and full of lulz! Sure, many there are spiteful, but usually also witty and rather entertaining.
I don't have a problem with the Pescado worship. After all, people worship athletes... At least Pes is talented enough to be fluent in MSIL and make it perform his programming magic, which to me is something I respect a lot more than someone who tosses balls into hoops or swims in the olympics with huge monkey arms.

Resident wet blanket.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#44 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by helaene
I prefer Nraas' MasterController (formerly Super Computer) mod. It does everything I used to do with AwesomeMod, and it gets updated VERY frequently.
You're comparing mods that are inherently different. With AwesomeMod being a core mod, there is an entirely different range of possibilities. Where a standalone script mod can only attempt to fix stuff after-the-fact (and MasterController doesn't as it is a feature type of mod and not a fix-your-game type of mod), a core mod can actually prevent borkage in the first place. Just because you're only using a couple of a core mod's features, this core mod doesn't suddenly become the same breed as a script mod with the same features.

And yes, twallan is fast to update his mods to a patch, but again, comparing that to a core mod makes just no sense whatsoever. A core mod replaces the core, so every tiny little patch causes basically the same amount of work to update it. For a standalone script mod, the amount of work depends on the changes the patch makes. For the latest patch, the effort to update standalone scripting mods was Zero; if you don't count extracting and changing the libraries to get the code to compile again, which can in fact be quite tedious.

And BTW: The testing version of AwesomeMod was released the day the patch was released. Obviously, testing versions aren't meant for people who are unable to find them.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#45 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 11:24 PM
Incidentally, there ARE a number of serious game-corrupting bugs in the game that Twallan simply can't fix effectively because it's a core issue. You'll believe me when you find out your sim is now married to a random person or you can't get married...

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 12:25 AM
It's a terrific mod. I don't think I could play the game without it. I mean, twice I've left my active household (to help out another) to come back and find that my sims have kids with random strangers they barely know! It's incredibly annoying, to say the least.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#47 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 9:57 AM
That's Story Progression at work. Using any alternate story driver is sufficient to prevent that...but if you don't to end up like this guy, GET AWESOMEMOD. Accept no Kewian-based substitutes!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 1:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maz89
I mean, twice I've left my active household (to help out another) to come back and find that my sims have kids with random strangers they barely know! It's incredibly annoying, to say the least.

They made it this way on purpose, to make it more like real life! You contact some friend you haven't seen for awhile, come back visiting and find they have kids with random strangers you barely know.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 3:21 AM
i recommend using both awesome mod and master controller together. AM fixes and prevents a lot of critical bugs EA couldn't be bothered with, and master controller offers alot of useful tuning options via a easy-to-use UI. if you dont like AM's story driver you can also use Twallan's story progression together with AM.

Regrading to MATY's behavior, well personally i don't give a damn as long as AM continues to receive updates.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
They made it this way on purpose, to make it more like real life! You contact some friend you haven't seen for awhile, come back visiting and find they have kids with random strangers you barely know.
And you also find out that they have not moved up the career ladder at all whilst you were playing with another household, even though their traits and skillset seem to suggest they should have (hell, sometimes they get demoted!).

Also, in real life, relationships tend to build slower. People don't usually meet one day and get married the next. ;]
Page 2 of 5